wear marks in my cylinders

PDA

The grons
April 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
I bought a Taurus model 66 .357 and noticed that towards the front of the cylinders there are rings or sort of wear marks. Is this from shooting .38 ammo or is this gunk from the casing or do I need a new cylinder or rheem job? Also should I blue the inside of the chambers?

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "wear marks in my cylinders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
April 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
I think you need to clean the clyinders, and why would you want to blue the inside of the cylinders???

edelbrock
April 28, 2009, 08:04 PM
Just clean it. I don't think you want to blue the inside of the cylinder.

Guillermo
April 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
give her a good thorough cleaning...that is normal

The grons
April 28, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thank you all, I have been cleaning and scrubbing and scraping with a gentle dental tool and the residue is coming off.

Guillermo
April 28, 2009, 08:43 PM
no problem

we gun folks got to stick together

and BTW...good honest wear on a gun is a thing of beauty. Embrace it!

rcmodel
April 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
towards the front of the cylinders there are rings or sort of wear marks.That is the end of the chamber, and the beginning of the chamber throats.

Don't scratch them up with a dental pick trying to get them out.

Anything that needs to come out will do so with a bronze bore brush & solvent.

rc

Walkalong
April 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yep, don't confuse the "step" in the metal where the chamber ends and the throat begins with the carbon ring build up 1/8" before it from shooting .38's.

If you enjoyed reading about "wear marks in my cylinders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!