lead traps: what do u do?

PDA

badbadtz560
April 29, 2009, 11:25 PM
So I'm tired of lining the yard with lead pellets. I'm looking to make some metal or durable plastic pellet trap with some plumber's non-setting putty in the back to catch the pellets. Anything useful I should do with the lead after I pick it out of the putty?

any hints on how to make a nice, cheap pellet trap?

If you enjoyed reading about "lead traps: what do u do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
April 29, 2009, 11:33 PM
No need for putty. Just put a sheet metal panel angled 30 degrees from horizontal in a sturdy cardboard box and the pellets will deflect down into the box with a significant loss in energy.

kirklandkie
April 30, 2009, 08:34 AM
+1 for angled sheet metal
i do recommend buying some slightly thicker sheet metal though if you plan to shoot very often (in addition i wouldn't shoot over .22 cal)

-kirk

7X57chilmau
April 30, 2009, 09:02 AM
+another for the angled steel plate in a box.... I like to fill in front of the plate with crumpled newspaper for even better retention of the bits...

If noise is a concern, tho, consider electrician's duct seal in a steel box (I like a steel junction box). Damned near silent, never dries, much stiffer than plumber's putty (1000fps in 8gr .177 goes in less than 1/2"). Costs more but is long lasting and quiet.

J

badbadtz560
April 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
ah yes.. these houses are about 10 ft apart. Noise is very much a concern. I'll def try the duct seal... everybody just tosses the lead out afterwards?

kirklandkie
April 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
save it, melt it down into same sized blocked and sell them on gun-broker. it's valuable stuff to people who make their own bullets additionally the lead itself has value in scrap if you have a scrapyard near you

-kirk

hso
April 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
As a cautionary note, melt it out of doors with enough wind to take the fumes away from you. There won't be much in the air, but you may get to enjoying this so much you have to collect it often.

7X57chilmau
April 30, 2009, 02:14 PM
Reading the "Lead Poisoning" thread in the reload/handload forum may not be a bad idea....

Most airgun enthusiasts clean out the putty about annually. The longer you leave it, the more the pellets will meld together in a single lump, making extraction easier (at least with high powered air rifles, say 800fps and up).

J

mgregg85
April 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
If noise is a concern, tho, consider electrician's duct seal in a steel box (I like a steel junction box). Damned near silent, never dries, much stiffer than plumber's putty (1000fps in 8gr .177 goes in less than 1/2"). Costs more but is long lasting and quiet.

That electrician's duct seal is damn tough stuff, I would definitely use that before plumber's putty.

If you enjoyed reading about "lead traps: what do u do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!