Extra S&W Model 10

PDA

Badger Arms
April 30, 2009, 03:35 AM
About 10 years back, I got the hankering for a nice Model 10 with a 4" barrel, pinned, and about 95-100% condition. I already had a 2" barrel round butt Bangor Punta gun that I really wasn't satisfied with. Had my model 66 4" square butt. Had my 642 and the wife's 442. I just wanted something to take to the range and enjoy. So I found 1... or so I thought.

Yeah, so I'm lookig for my darned Remington 51 case... it was the second to the last case I looked in, but I digress... and I find my baby. I'd taken the cylinder out but left the sideplate on and cleaned it so it looked all pretty. I filled in the lettering and logos with white paint. Really fine looking specimen.

So, case number 12 turns up my baby again... but this one without the white lettering? Did they clone? For the life of me, I can't remember buying the second one. Or was it the first one? At any rate, I now have two pretty 4" guns. Also picked up a nice 6" in 99%+ condition still in the box. So, this type of senility is good, right? I'm hoping to find a model 22 hiding behind my 1917 next time I go searching. Never owned one, but then I thought I only owned one 4" Model 10! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Extra S&W Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
April 30, 2009, 03:47 AM
They can breed in secret...and make curious off-spring...

When was 'banga punta' doing his mischief, anyway? What years?

armoredman
April 30, 2009, 04:40 AM
Nice surprise!

Howard B
April 30, 2009, 09:04 AM
Dang old timers disease. The last time we moved, I found two Colt AR15's in the attic that I bought before the last magazine fed, air cooled, semi-automatic, military looking rifle scare. Too bad they were both rifles and not carbines. Howard

Oro
April 30, 2009, 09:19 AM
This is tangential, but I intentionally keep my guns separated and in different store/stashes. Sometimes it takes me a year or two to run across a handgun. Now, I always know, vaguely, I own it, but then I see it again for the first time in a few years and then embrace it like a long lost child. It makes me take it out and shoot it, instead of just fondling it in the safe periodically and never getting that "rush" again.

A good example is a 1942 Navy revolver I have. I ran across it, took it to the range along with a high falutin' S&W 27, Glock 23, Colt Series 70, and a very tuned Norinco. On the 50' indoor range, the long-lost S&W victory shot tighter groups than any of the other guns. What a (re)find!

So i am a big fan of hiding guns from yourself. You'll "rediscover" them and it's like a whole new Christmas.

Geneseo1911
April 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
When you guys move, let me know so I can buy your old house!

GP100man
April 30, 2009, 12:39 PM
i`m gonna sift thru my safe tonite !!!!!

GP100 man

sidheshooter
April 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
The other day, my wife calls out from another room. "I have a surprise for you... it's small, shooty, and you were wondering where it was..."

She found my old davis industries .22 mag derringer in its box behind the inflatable camping matress where it somehow got socked, along with some other camp gear when the matress was last used.

I have to admit, I was a bit relieved; I'm usually pretty darn good about keeping track of at least the firearms that I have, if nothing else. I also tend to keep "all firearms not in use" (usage of course including lying about for defense) locked up, so the fact that there was an inmate loose somewhere in the asylum had been bothering me for some time now!

:D

sagebrushjim
April 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
Handguns are like "girl friends" -- I always have some Idea of their location... This keeps an "OLD MAN" safe and alive ...:)

Badger Arms
April 30, 2009, 01:59 PM
Well I think I've solved my mental mystery. It seems that I bought this along with an Enfield 1917 at a gun show, however that morning I had discovered that I had a missing Glock 30. Unfortunately, that missing Glock had been stolen. I spent all my mental energy and time searching for the Glock and just logged the S&W in, locked it in the safe, and forgot about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extra S&W Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!