Looking to get my first revolver

PDA

83fj60cruiser
April 30, 2009, 08:31 AM
I am interested in the S&W model 310 Night Guard 10mm/.40sw. I have alot of .40sw ammo and nothing to shoot it out of. I saw this 310 on the S&W website and thought it might make a good carry gun since I have the ammo that will last me a long time even with alot of practice. Does anybody have any expereince shooting 40sw in a revolver? How does it perform out of a short barrel? And how does the recoil compare to .38 or .357? Any insight would be great. Like I said this will be my first wheel gun and when I get good at shooting it will be my carry gun. Will this make a good SD gun or should I stick with one in .38.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to get my first revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dismantler
April 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
My guess is that it will have power and recoil a lot closer to a .357 than a .38.

Stainz
April 30, 2009, 08:27 PM
Anytime you shoot a semi-auto round out of a similar barrel length and mass revolver, it will have a bit more recoil than it did in the bottom-feeder as there is no action to work and absorb some of that recoil energy. I love shooting .45 ACPs from steel revolvers - and have shot the SS 610 and SS/Ti 646 with 10's and .40's respectively. You expect the N-frame 610 to bounce - but the 646 was a bit of a shocker - very similar in recoil with 'just' subsonic .40's. Also, it's shorter barrel seemed to 'blast' more - another shocker. Now - use a shorter still barrel - and lighten the frame consideably - and I'll bet you will notice .40 S&W SD rounds, much less the 10's. The moonclips will make reloads faster, of course. Forewarned about the recoil, it would be a great house/CC weapon.

Want a plinker? Get a 610 - real barrel - real SS frame. You won't even notice those .40's... the 10's are still 'entertaining'.

The Night Guard series that has my attention is the 327NG. I just love the X8 .38/.357M - I have a 5" JM 627 V-Comp and a 4" 627 Pro. Super plinkers with my moonclipped wimpy homebrew .357Ms. You, however, make a great case for the .40 S&W shooter, of course... you have the ammo!

Stainz

83fj60cruiser
April 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info Stainz. Thats what I was looking for. I just wasn't sure if the recoil would be like a .38 or closer to the .357.

Thanks again

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to get my first revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!