32 H&R Mag - dying ammo?

PDA

Fat Boy
April 30, 2009, 09:02 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a s&w lightweight revolver in 32 h&r mag - I understand this gun can shoot the 32 long as well as the mag round.

I note in reviewing ammunition listings on Midwayusa.com a short list of makers for the magnum round, with a few more for the 32 long. (Just as a side note, maybe the sellers of ammo should put a link on their website titled "what is available at this time" - it would save paging through listings of "back-ordered: and "not available" etc...:)

I like the size of this gun, the caliber, pretty much everything about it. I don't, however, want to end up with a nice paperweight somewhere down the road when this round disappears:cuss:

I know I am trying to use a bit of a "crystal ball" approach, but I would like to hear what others more knowledgeable than I am think about this situation.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "32 H&R Mag - dying ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
I don't think it will ever die completely out, but it might get uncommon on the shelves. A lot of low demand rounds are factory loaded on a seasonal basis once a year or even two. So keep enough on hand for your anticipated gunfighting schedule.

You can always practice with .32 S&W Long, which seems here to stay. And, of course, a handloader need not run out of ammo. Revolver brass is good for dozens of loadings at moderate levels.

Byron
April 30, 2009, 10:12 AM
I have always reloaded for mine. Factory ammo should be available after the hording crisis is over. Byron

ArmedBear
April 30, 2009, 10:25 AM
Buy a revolver, buy a reloading press. Doesn't matter what caliber, right now.

Even before the ammo bubble, I couldn't really enjoy shooting my .44, or even a .38/.357, with the cost of factory ammo.

Revolver rounds are probably the easiest things to reload, and you don't even have to pick them up off the ground when you shoot.:)

So, instead of searching for more ammo, I looked for deals on a reloading setup. It soon more than paid for itself.

Furncliff
April 30, 2009, 10:31 AM
I believe this caliber is popular with many small frame shooters who shoot SASS and such. I know that many of them load their own, but it would seem some demand is there.

sargenv
April 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
Starline Brass makes 32 H&R magnum for roughly $73/500. Hornady and Sierra make Jacketed bullets for the caliber and there are lots of cast bullet makers that also have a .312" bullet for the caliber. 500 pieces of revolver brass will last a long time. I've always liked the caliber.. I picked up a model 31-2 S&W in 32 S&W long for a fun plinker.. I have maybe 500 pieces of the brass and have loaded it a few times. It will likely last for a very long time.

ArmedBear
April 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
I like the size of this gun, the caliber, pretty much everything about it.

Buy it.

Then set yourself up to load your own. A complete Lee setup (with an O-frame press, not some pliers-like contraption) at Cabela's is $105 + a die set. You will break even when you've reloaded the equivalent of five boxes of ammo, and then you not only shoot for cheap, you also won't have to worry about what other people are shooting.

...and it turns out, reloading is fun, satisfying and educational. I have learned more about handguns in the past few months than I ever knew, even shooting black powder.

mnrivrat
April 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't hesitate buying a .32 Mag. I suspect the loading will be around for a long long time.
I have a Model 731 Titanium Taurus in .32 Mag. I am not concerned about ammo, but I do agree that when found, a small stockage is a good way to go, and hand loading even better.

For plinking I use the .32 S&W long cartridge - been around about 100 years now and I don't see it going away soon.

popeye
April 30, 2009, 10:18 PM
If it's a S&W 431/432 I think I'd pass unless it's a bargain. If it's a 631/632 they are quite collectible as is the 331/332. I've had a 432 and the QC was a real issue as was the IL. I sold it. I had a really nice 632 that someone offered a decent price for and I sold it also. S&W long is not a great SD round and although .32 magnum affords an additional round in a J FRAME, I've opted for .38 special because of all manner of loadings, it's a viable for SD, and it's usually available. I must admit I do still have a Taurus 731, but it'll probably leave soon.

mnrivrat
April 30, 2009, 11:17 PM
S&W long is not a great SD round and although .32 magnum affords an additional round in a J FRAME, I've opted for .38 special because of all manner of loadings, it's a viable for SD, and it's usually available.

I'm going to respectfuly counter this a little.. First is that although I agree the .32 S&W is a bit on the weak side for SD, we are talking about the .32 Magnum. That round not only gives one the 6th round, it gives ft Lb energy levels compatable to the standard .38 Spl. Few will argue that the standard .38 Spl rounds are a poor choice for SD, and yet for some reason, the .32 Mag falls below acceptable ?

I'm going to give you why I think there is a place for the .32 Mag for SD. - It has significantly less recoil in a light weight revolver than the .38 Spl , and yet delivers near the same energy to the target.

Now with that said , if you up the weight of the gun, then there is less reason to go with the .32 magnum. , therefore I would not pass on the S&W 431 or 631 guns in .32 mag as that is where the caliber choice makes the most sense.

Now also with that said , I would recommend the .38 Spl over the .32 Mag if the person has no problem dealing with the extra recoil , or the extra weight of a heavier gun.

The key issue is weight and recoil , and there are a lot of folks out there who talk about going to a .22 LR because their wife doesn't like weight or recoil in her SD gun - there is where the .32 Mag fits in my opinion. As well, there are older folk who have medical problems such as weak wrists, that make these guns a great choice for them.

peyton
April 30, 2009, 11:31 PM
I second what mnrivrat says, both my wife and daughter in law have arthitis, the 431 and 631 are easy for them to handle and fire. The recoil does not give them problems. I reload as well, plus you can find 32 ammo eventually. Now I will confess, I do shoot 32 acp out of mine as well. I know it is frowned upon, but it goes bang and hits paper well enough for me to train my grand kids proper techniques.

Johnboy53
May 1, 2009, 03:32 AM
It can shoot 32 S&W, 32 Long and the mag. Everything from a fart to mean.

Jon Coppenbarger
May 1, 2009, 06:28 AM
I have one I bought a few years ago and have yet to fire. It is a ruger single six. nickle with the white grips and ruger emblem, still new in the box. plan on shooting it someday.

Dan-O
May 1, 2009, 08:00 AM
Or you can wait until Smitty makes a .327 mag j frame. I have heard rumors that it is in the works. That way you can shoot .327, .32 H&R, .32 Long, etc.

I would also start reloading. Get yourself a Lyman reloaders manual for starters. There are lots of reloading websites, and usually forums like this have reloading sections where people are more than happy to answer questions. Good luck with your decision.

.455_Hunter
May 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
The .32 Mag is not going anywhere.

Ammo is not available right now due to the shortages in other calibers.

If you were Federal, and have a 6 month backorder on .45 ACP, 9 mm, .38 Special, .380 ACP, .40 S&W, and .357 Mag, why would you worry about making any .32 Mag?

Or you can wait until Smitty makes a .327 mag j frame. I have heard rumors that it is in the works.

It already does, but it is not a snub.

Model 632 Carry Comp Pro Series - .327 Magnum

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=86957&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Maybe a 1 7/8" version will arrive soon...

Capt Marvel
May 3, 2009, 09:23 PM
I love the .32 S&W LONG /New Police. It's hey day of popularity was in the pre-WW II period. Problem was all the top break el cheapo revolvers sold in that caliber. With many going back to the late 1800s. So ammo manufactures not wanting to be sued loaded the cartridge down. The .32 H&R Mag soled the problem bylengthening the cartridge case so as to not function in these old .32 S&W long.

Well Colt and Smith & Wesson owners who hand load have been able to get these little pocket revolvers to do anything a .380 auto will with more versatility by rolling their own. My custom Colt Police Positive .32 New Police cylinder mics at 1.230 in length. So the .32 mag cases should chamber with room to spare. Thing here is overall cartridge length. But why not just load the .32 S&W Long case to low end .32mag loads for your S&W or Colt?

I load .32 S&W Long cases with 2.7 grains of Bulleseye using both 100 grain wad cutter hollow base (loaded upside down) and .308 115 grain cast linotype as cast designed for .30 carbine. These rounds have a MV of 820 to 850 and produce about 150 ft/lbs energy.

If I am looking for a gunfight I'll bring my 12 gauge mag pump!

71Commander
May 4, 2009, 07:53 AM
You can shoot 32 ACP ammo in it without a problem and that round isn't going anywhere.

Dismantler
May 4, 2009, 08:11 AM
Personally, I'd get a .38. I avoid any of the second-tier cartridges and stick with the perrenial tried and true cartridges.

We do not know what the future holds for guns and ammo. But if you need ammo in a pinch your friends and other contacts will be able to get you some .38 before they can .32.

My dealer has an old Colt .32 snubby in his case...but he does not stock .32 revolver ammo...only .32 auto.

Buy a .38.

May 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
The .32Mag is a great little round and I've never felt poorly armed when carrying it. I've got about a half dozen of them and are usually what I grab to go play with. As a reloader I could care less what's available in the store, but I do keep a few boxes of defensive ammo on hand and it's never been hard to find.

The introduction of the .327 will help keep the H&R around for folks looking for a lower power option without going all the way down to the .32 Long. I'm here to tell you, a lot of folks who buy a .327 will be looking for a lighter load, it's no joke but still a lot of fun.

LoneCoon
May 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
From what I've heard the .327 magnum will also shoot the .32 H&R magnum in pretty much the same size package.

Also, .32 S&W and .32 Long, if I'm not completely off my mark here.

phoglund
May 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
I wonder if the .327 Magnum is likely to make the .32 Magnum more popular rather than less popular. Many folks seem to like to shoot .38 Spec. in their .357 Magnum guns and only shoot .357 upon occasion or for carry/protection. The .32 Magnum round may end up as the .38 Spec. of the .327 Magnum cartridge.

If the .327 Magnum lives up to its hype and becomes a common cartridge, the .32 Magnum may just see a resurgence. ;)

Landric
January 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
To revive a thread:

I wonder if the .327 Magnum is likely to make the .32 Magnum more popular rather than less popular. Many folks seem to like to shoot .38 Spec. in their .357 Magnum guns and only shoot .357 upon occasion or for carry/protection. The .32 Magnum round may end up as the .38 Spec. of the .327 Magnum cartridge.

If the .327 Magnum lives up to its hype and becomes a common cartridge, the .32 Magnum may just see a resurgence.

I think the main reason so much .38 Special is shot in .357 revolvers is ammunition cost. Yes, there are other reasons, but cost is a big deal.

I would like to see more .32 H&R guns and brass available, but unless .32 Mag becomes cheaper and more available than .327 Fed Mag, I don't see the Fed Mag helping the H&R.

I think the H&R is a fantastic cartridge, I haven't gotten to try the .327 yet.

W.E.G.
January 15, 2010, 12:24 AM
Buy primers.

Bill B.
January 15, 2010, 01:15 AM
32 H&R Mag - dying ammo?

Personally I think so......but the .32 S&W Long will be around for quite a while still. If you like the gun buy it!

J Lazy H
January 15, 2010, 10:11 AM
If I'm not mistaking, .32 H&R Mag. cartridges can be used in .327 Magnum revolvers. Why not just buy any number of the 357 mags out there:confused: Pretty sure that ammo will be around for a while.
Sorry:uhoh: that must have sounded kinda harsh. To me it falls into the 45gap and the 357 sig. area. :banghead:

BCCL
January 15, 2010, 01:16 PM
Revolvers chambered for the newer .327 Magnum, can indeed also fire .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Long and .32 Short.

I saw a 3" barreled Ruger SP-101 in .327 Magnum the other day with adjustable sites and really had a hard time not grabbing it!!

MachIVshooter
January 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
We do not know what the future holds for guns and ammo. But if you need ammo in a pinch your friends and other contacts will be able to get you some .38 before they can .32.

Ya know, this type of "get a gun in a popular cartridge so you can find ammo when the SHTF" wisdom pops up in every thread where someone is inquiring about a less popular cartridge.

So I submit my case as an example. I have guns chambered in some very obscure cartridges, some of which only botique ammo is available, if any at all. But this does not mean that I'm ill prepared when the zombies attack. For one, I reload, so I can always figure out a way. But more importantly, these oddballs are not the go-to guns. I have 9mm's, .223's, .308's, 12 ga. and all manner of other contemporary stuff for the day armageddon comes. In the mean time, I can enjoy shooting a smaller quantity of ammo through these guns, some of them as unique in design as they are in chambering.

So please, folks, unless someone is asking about ammo availability during the apocalypse, let's examine the real-world conditions for obtaining fodder.

45Frank
January 15, 2010, 02:46 PM
I like the round. Buy it.

Bill B.
January 15, 2010, 08:13 PM
So please, folks, unless someone is asking about ammo availability during the apocalypse, let's examine the real-world conditions for obtaining fodder.

In other words ......can it be bought at Wal Mart? :D Just kidding .....;)

Landric
January 16, 2010, 05:38 AM
The .32 H&R is a cartridge for handloaders, no doubt about it. Not only is it capible of much better performance than factory offerings, such as they are, but for a handloader/bullet caster its just about as cheap to shoot as .22 LR.

I just ordered some 115 grain Gold Dot bullets and I can't wait to see what I can do with them in .32 H&R. I don't yet own (and may never own) a gun chambered in .327 Federal for which the bullet is intended, but with the bullets available as components, I can play with them in .32 H&R.

I just recently put a Super Single Six in .32 H&R on layaway. What do you think of yours 45Frank?

MMCSRET
January 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
For what its worth; The latest Cheaper than Dirt catalog came yesterday and even they have 32 Magnum and not as horribly expensive as I've heard. New Manufacturer "Bitterroot Valley Ammunition and Components"(BVAC) is putting it together over in Western Montana and it is showing up in lots of places. BVAC is opening outlet stores in a few places, I've seen two. Haven't used any BVAC ammo, but I've been told that its as good as most any and they do have a Premium line.
I have a lifetime supply of 32 Magnum cases and I cast my bullets so I'm not short and it shoots quite well in a 327 revolver.

MMCSRET
January 16, 2010, 10:08 AM
duplicate: deleted

RJM
January 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
In the last year or so, since I bought my sp101 in .327 fed mag, I have really started to like the .32 caliber rounds. I can pretty much shoot 5 different .32 rounds out of the gun, there are a ton of different bullets for the handloader (I am a handloader) and I can always seem to find one of those 5 different cartridges at the local gun store. The fast magnum .32s are just a blast to shoot, and they don't break the wrist.

I recommend getting the gun and finding ammo for it, its not impossible. With the .32 H7R, handloading can really get this chambering to its potential, so I would also recommend learning a little about reloading.

For some people, if its not a NATO round or sitting on the shelf at the walmart every day they don't want to own it. I say that is super silly. Just because you might own a gun in an oddball caliber doesn't mean you don't have that 9mm for when the zombies attack.

My favorite calibers/cartridges are pretty odd.

.45 colt
.327 fed mag
.257 weatherby mag
.380 acp

You can't always find these at walmart, but I have never been shortsighted enough to not have enough on hand to shoot.

Mr. Whimsy
January 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Could .327 / .32 mag be any harder to find that 9mm was last November? Around here there hasn't been any 9mm or .380 for over a year. .357 Sig, not nearly so hard to find.

The last thing I want to do is compete with everyone else for those "popular" calibers.

Fat Boy
January 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
Could .327 / .32 mag be any harder to find that 9mm was last November? Around here there hasn't been any 9mm or .380 for over a year. .357 Sig, not nearly so hard to find.

The last thing I want to do is compete with everyone else for those "popular" calibers.

I have read commentary in the past that talks about the end of the world as we know it; one point made is that in such an environment having, say a 9 millimeter would be a good thing, since it is a common cartridge and there would be some of it around...I wonder what the recent shortage might indicate about this line of thinking....

No specific point here, just saying....

45Frank
January 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
I love it, it's becoming my favorite right up there with the 45LC. I've become so confident with it's accuracy off hand I now carry it over my 9mm.
Very very smooth.
When I first bought it I had to send it back to the factory twice, when you had a cartridge in the cylinder it wouldn't turn. I went off on Ruger and it went out and back with in 4-5 days and I received a letter of apology.

Landric

The .32 H&R is a cartridge for handloaders, no doubt about it. Not only is it capible of much better performance than factory offerings, such as they are, but for a handloader/bullet caster its just about as cheap to shoot as .22 LR.

I just ordered some 115 grain Gold Dot bullets and I can't wait to see what I can do with them in .32 H&R. I don't yet own (and may never own) a gun chambered in .327 Federal for which the bullet is intended, but with the bullets available as components, I can play with them in .32 H&R.

I just recently put a Super Single Six in .32 H&R on layaway. What do you think of yours 45Frank?

"The Engine could still smile...It seemed to scare them"- Felix

Landric
January 17, 2010, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear it, hopefully mine won't need a trip back to Ruger. I expect that was just a fluke, but I suppose I could be a victim of the same fluke. :)

The only guns I have chambered for .32 H&R right now are Airweight J-frames. I'll looking forward to being able to load it up to its potential in a heavier weight, longer barreled gun.

m2steven
January 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have found 32 magnum at several stores and purchased the few boxes they had. They have not been replenished. You can buy it online at various places at various times.

I have found the 32 mag to be a fine round in my sp101. It's perfectly stout enough for self defense, and is very accurate in my particular gun. It's pretty expensive as 32 goes but it should get the job done.

I'm with the other poster who said he has shot about 5 different types of cartridges out of his sp101 in 32. It's a really great platform with a really nice variety of loads for many purposes. I love the 32.

I tend to think the 32 magnum may indeed become a reloader's caliber. Not many people shoot it. Shame, because it's really a good load.

crusty81
March 18, 2010, 08:14 PM
hay guys there is sereral boxs of sweet reloaded 32 mags on gun broker, granny has one box listed, sweet plated bullets he has some hot 32 longs going on soon and stocks 32 shorts too!! go getem!!

W.E.G.
March 18, 2010, 11:18 PM
Somebody at Smith and Wesson is absolutely smoking crack.

They list MSRP for the J-frame .327 magnum as being MORE THAN A THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Insane.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/170329_large.jpg

Ed Harris
March 19, 2010, 09:35 AM
In sturdy modern revolvers chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal you can handload the .32 Long to give ballistics approximating the .32 H&R Magnum. In my S&W J-frame I handload the Hornady 85-grain XTP hollowpoint with 7.0 grs. of #2400 and bullet expansion is wonderful. A charge of 3 grains of Bullseye with the Hornady 85-gr. XTP provides about 900 f.p.s. and also shoots well. These heavier field loads are useable in the S&W Models 30 or 31, and postwar Colt D-frames, and approximate .32 H&R Magnum pressure and velocity. I use it them only occasionally in my S&W Models 30 and 31, as extensive use increases wear on the guns.

For general recreational and small game shooting a charge of 2.5 grains of Red Dot, 700-X or Bullseye or 3 grains of W231 or 4 grains of Unique or PB in .32 S&W Long brass with any 90-115 grain cast bullet, such as the RCBS 32-90CM, or Lyman #311008 gives a bit over 800 f.p.s. from a 4-inch revolver, or about 100 f.p.s. more than factory S&W Long ammo. I shoot ALOT of these and they are much more effective small game loads than any .22 rimfire. In older pre-1957S&W Hand Ejectors you must reduce these charges 1/2 grain.

Boulder
March 19, 2010, 11:28 AM
I have a 332 that I don't shoot much because I don't yet handload. I plan to start reloading soon, but will probably start with .38 Spl since most of my wheelguns are 38/357.

crusty81
March 21, 2010, 09:04 PM
buy it lots of 32 long and 32 mag around some 32 mags on gun broker now for sale and i have some once fired brass and can reload 50 for ya if ya need some but it has been going for 60-100 a box.

crusty81
March 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
ed is correct, we have loaded the same loads with similar results, kinda like the 32 long +p loads we have fired there real fun!!!!!

crusty81
April 17, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have 400 rounds of once fired reloaded 32 mags 30 bucks a box! i have 100 new star line brass if some one wants some new loads let me know what bullet you want loaded i will loadem up!

Redhawk1
May 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
crusty81 PM or e-mail me, I caould use some brass and ammo for the 32 H&R Mag..

If you enjoyed reading about "32 H&R Mag - dying ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!