PICS OF Arms cache discovered IN AZ

PDA

AZTOY
January 17, 2003, 04:10 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2339.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2340.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2341.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2342.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2343.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2337.jpg http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/News/Breaking/243_2338.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "PICS OF Arms cache discovered IN AZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeK
January 17, 2003, 04:19 PM
Puts my meager collection to shame!

concerned citizen
January 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
where would you buy all that crap??

e-bay?

:scrutiny:

Brian Maffei
January 17, 2003, 05:06 PM
All those guns will probally be melted down, right? :(

wingnutx
January 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
Dang, I should go to more storage unit auction!

Queen Creek is probably the most heavily armed piece of American soil in existence.

jpwright
January 17, 2003, 05:17 PM
As much as I might think a flame-thrower would make a great toy, I wouldn't want to actually try to use one. I've seen the movies. The guy with the flame-thrower is doomed; he'll be a human Presto log before the scene ends.

I think I see some nice Mausers in the pile, though.

jpwright
January 17, 2003, 05:19 PM
BTW, is that Cliff Claven in the first pic??

redneck2
January 17, 2003, 05:22 PM
during the 4th of July celebrations

scotjute
January 17, 2003, 05:25 PM
Looks like he has (had) more stuff than I do. :(

Mike Irwin
January 17, 2003, 05:31 PM
Looks like 2 PIATs, a Panzerschrek, a US 2.36" "Bazooka", and some other goodies.

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the blue painted rocket launcher projectiles in the one picture means that they're training dummies.

That one flame thrower unit may be Soviet...

Politically Incorrect
January 17, 2003, 06:27 PM
For a second there, I thought Tamara moved to Arizona. :neener:

WonderNine
January 17, 2003, 06:29 PM
http://bis.midco.net/cotlod/terroristswin.jpg

Sven
January 17, 2003, 08:03 PM
What are those handguns?

Bainx
January 17, 2003, 08:25 PM
Just what constitutes a "cache" anyway?

MarineTech
January 17, 2003, 08:47 PM
I'm calling dibs on the PIAT and the HOT (Even though it was obviously demilled) launchers.

CAP
January 17, 2003, 09:08 PM
Okay, maybe he had one or two pieces you wouldn't want your neighbor storing next door.

Or maybe you would. At least they would be able to help defend the block.

Beer for my Horses
January 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
Is this reported anywhere? AZ Republic?

St. Gunner
January 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
Wish I had a neighbor like that.

I did just venture through AZ, but I didn't leave any arms caches behind along the way.:D

dacinokc
January 17, 2003, 10:19 PM
Most of it is not too bad, but DOJ will hang on for the AOWs there. Manditory minimum of 5 years with a 10,000.00 fine. Each. Ouch! Hope it was worth it to the guy:what:

Tamara
January 17, 2003, 10:26 PM
Wow.

It looks like 99% inoperable war relics, dummy rounds, old milsurp Mosins and Enfields, some pocket pistols, and maybe a buzzgun or two. Oh, and an RPG with what may or may not be a live rocket.

Thanks, F-troopers. I'll sleep better tonight knowing that you've rounded up another batch of rusty antiques. :rolleyes:

DeltaElite
January 17, 2003, 10:28 PM
I too have been wondering if that stuff is even functional.
Of course if not functional, that would ruin the photo op for the Feds and they live for those Kodak moments. ;)

Tamara
January 17, 2003, 10:34 PM
Gimme $150-$200 and a couple of hours to hit the Army Surplus stores, and I'll lay out a spread of blue-painted dummy training ordnance, inert grenades and empty LAW tubes that'll put that one to shame... ;)

dacinokc
January 17, 2003, 10:35 PM
not operable vs. DEWAT still looses in court as they have specific rules on how each type of device must be deactivated. Like I said, hope the ownership was worth it to the poor blighter...

blades67
January 17, 2003, 10:46 PM
The AT-4 has a 4" hole cut on one side, the M66 LAW and M202 FLASH are single use items, all of the warheads are inert trainers and the "machineguns" have had their recievers De-Milled. The talking heads on the local TV newscasts kept calling them "live missle launchers and machineguns." There were a number of ammo cans, some of which contained live ammunition, but the whole thing was completely misrepresented by both the ATF and the media.:banghead:

gryphon
January 17, 2003, 11:31 PM
You can find this article on CNN.com by typing in the search box "arizona gun cache"
I have posted the text of the article below:

Bazooka seized in huge gun bust
'Staggering amount of weapons'
Thursday, January 16, 2003 Posted: 8:32 PM EST (0132 GMT)

Federal agents placed the ammunition and military firearms in neat rows on the ground.

QUEEN CREEK, Arizona (CNN) -- A "deadly" weapons cache was uncovered in an Arizona storage facility Thursday by agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, an agency spokesman said.

"There is a large cache of military firearms, including explosives, machine guns, a bazooka, a flame thrower," said a spokesman for the ATF in Phoenix. A Russian rocket-propelled grenade launcher also was seized.

"Some of the weaponry is vintage but it's still quite deadly," the ATF spokesman said.

"This is an arsenal of weapons, it's a staggering amount of weapons we're pulling out. It's frightening the amount of firepower we found in this place."

Authorities said the unit belonged to Scott Segal, 40, who has an arrest record for illegal possession of a machine gun and silencer.

The ATF spokesman said there is no indication at this time that the weapons have anything to do with terrorism.

Dan Kumor, spokesman for the Boston field division of the ATF, said Segal was the subject of an ATF investigation that originated in Boston.

"It's an ongoing criminal investigation," Kumor said.

Following the seizure, federal agents took inventory of ammunition and shoulder-held weapons-stands placed in neat rows on the ground. They are conducting tests of the weapons to determine if they are functional.

The spokesman said agents arrived at the facility at 11 a.m. MT (1 p.m. ET) with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department and a warrant.

CNN Justice Department Correspondent Kelli Arena contributed to this report.

Tamara
January 17, 2003, 11:57 PM
Authorities said the unit belonged to Scott Segal, 40, who has an arrest record for illegal possession of a machine gun and silencer.

So no real criminal record; he just got busted violating a stupid and unconstitutional law.

Fantastic.

I guess we must've already rounded up all the terrorists, murderers, kidnappers and bank robbers if we can devote this much effort to busting folks whose only crime was not paying a $200 tax. :rolleyes:

blades67
January 18, 2003, 12:00 AM
They are conducting tests of the weapons to determine if they are functional.

The V.C. used to convert discarded M66 launchers into mortars, does that count?:rolleyes:

KMKeller
January 18, 2003, 01:03 AM
Looks more like a shopping list than anything else...

Mike Irwin
January 18, 2003, 01:40 AM
Tough call whether a suppressor would be covered under the 2nd Amendment or not.

I wouldn't want to try to argue that one in court.

UnknownSailor
January 18, 2003, 03:03 AM
Blue rocket=inert

Most of that heavy artillery stuff is harmless; it just looks live.

That green RPG round, can't tell from the picture.

F-troop making the world safe for the children. :rolleyes:

Amish
January 18, 2003, 03:12 AM
Must be more stuff Saddam H's forgot to delcare.

firestar
January 18, 2003, 04:00 AM
The ATF is everywhere.:uhoh:

BTW, what a pile of junk! Give me 6 months with my soon to be C&R liscense and I will have a bunch of old mil-surp stuff also.

Tamara
January 18, 2003, 09:31 AM
Tough call whether a suppressor would be covered under the 2nd Amendment or not.

Yes, however it's most certainly covered under the 10th.

Also, there's a rather definitive and specific list of the things Congress may do in the Constitution. "Outlaw (suppressors/machineguns/toilets/dope)" is not on it. ;)

Blackcloud6
January 18, 2003, 09:31 AM
The PG (round for the RPG) looks like an inert one. The tbe is the motor and real ones are usually silver, not the same color as the warhead. Live PG warheads are usually green. It looks like a RPG-2 launcher which is pretty cool.

I don't see any illegal stuff in these picutres.

Mike Irwin
January 18, 2003, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't want to try to argue that one in court either, Tam. Probably lose that one, as well. Most cases that argue 10th Amendment are usually lost.

When the Courts "reinterpret" or even simply fail to interpret the Constitution, what on its face seems to be unconstitution is all of a sudden Constitutional...

Tamara
January 18, 2003, 12:36 PM
Naw, it's still unconstitutional, merely the law of the land. ;)

I wouldn't want to argue a case based on the 10th or any other amendment in front of the big-government-loving Nanny State activists that infest benches across this land, either. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "PICS OF Arms cache discovered IN AZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!