Have appx $250 budget, what ear protection to get?

PDA

Lucky Strike
May 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
Tired of messing around with the cheap $20 ear muff's i've been using. Want something for all around general usage....I shoot handgun, rifle and shotgun. Plinking, USPSA, clay pigeon, target, etc.

Only thing i really know i want is for it to be electronic and my budget is $250 or so. Willing to maybe go up to $300 if there's a big jump in quality in that extra $50

Just looking for some suggestions so i can narrow down around 3 or 4 potential candidates before i start some more indepth research

If you enjoyed reading about "Have appx $250 budget, what ear protection to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
May 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
I wear Peltors but I admire Pro Ears Pro Mag
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=278796

They have 33 dB and good electronics. They are kind of bulky and might knock against your rifle and shotguns stock, but they are quiet.

Captain Kyle
May 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
I like the $20 ones and $230 towards another gun. IMHO :cool:

Sir_William1
May 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
I love my Pro ears, Once I put them on I forget there their til I notice someone looking at me all funny like, 6 to 8 hours at a time and never any discomfort.

Hungry Seagull
May 2, 2009, 02:43 PM
I use a generic 30 dollar model that reduces sound by 30db and keeps the pressure out when I fire three inch magnums in that small stall.

I save the 270 towards ammuntion IMHO :neener:

Wife uses a remington ear muff which was only the one availible that night on shelf.

Think of it this way... no ear protection rentals necessary and no fancy doodads to fiddle with. 30 Db of sound reduction is fine. Are you there to shoot targets? Or are you there to swap bull stories?

arizona98tj
May 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
I have a set of Pro Ears which I no longer use. They fit too lose and I can't get a good seal. I do not have that problem with the other brands (electronics or passive). Pro Ears sent me another head band but it made absolutely no difference. I'll agree they can be worn for hours on end....but that does me no good since they don't do the job. It is one of the worst investments I've made in my shooting hobby.

Gordon
May 3, 2009, 03:08 AM
Sordin MSA. I wear these while training. They are super good and clear cheek spot welds which others don't. I have my cell phone plugged in so I don't miss calls!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150342393914&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=150315210092&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Lucky Strike
May 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
"Think of it this way... no ear protection rentals necessary and no fancy doodads to fiddle with. 30 Db of sound reduction is fine. Are you there to shoot targets? Or are you there to swap bull stories"

Joined a new range where they have all sorts of competitions like USPSA and such so I'm wanting something where i can hear commands clearly which is why i'm looking electronic....also planning on taking some defensive handgun classes this summer so i want to clearly hear the instructor.

JTQ
May 9, 2009, 02:19 PM
Go to an audiologist and get a set of custom fit ear plugs. They are comfortable, easy to use, don't interfere with your head gear, and while you can hear all commands they protect your ears from the harsh sounds.

Lucky Strike
May 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
I've thought of that....any idea on how much a set like that would cost?

Anyone have any experience with Walker Game Ears? Some of their models are in my price range and they seem to have some good pluses (no cheek weld interference and good 29NRR protection). Any negatives that i should think about?

JohnBT
May 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
In the ear digital?

http://allearsinfo.com/Shooting_Sports.html

$450 to $1295 => EACH SIDE.

Lucky Strike
May 11, 2009, 03:15 PM
After reading a bunch more I think what I've decided is to get some custom fit silicone ones. Thanks for that link JohnBT...that place is located near me, i'm going with their silicone molded plugs, i can get them molded and made without waiting to mail impressions to a lab and they'll be molded correctly instead of trying to do it myself.

Then i'll double up with some electronic muffs in the $100-200 range. Looking at the Peltor TacSport, Peltor 7s and ProEars 300

This should give me good protection indoor and outdoor (i was worried about indoor ranges since the slimmer elec muffs only had protection in the 19-23 range) and I can turn the volume up on the muffs and still hear commands. Plus the slimmer ones should be cheekweld ok.

Thanks for all the comments

ColinthePilot
May 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've used the Peltor Tactical 6S and the Howard Leight Impact Sport's and they're both very good. The Peltor's make shooting at indoor ranges comfortable when other muffs required plugs underneath, but they don't get loud enough to hear through plugs when I wear double ears.

The Howard Leights are great. They are loud enough to hear normal conversation through the plugs, and they have an iPod jack so you can listen to your tunes while you shoot.

I got the Peltor's second hand, so I don't know what they retail for. I picked up the Howard Leight's at Academy for $60.

dagger dog
May 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
The 6S Peltors are nice and thin at the bottom and do not interfere with mounting the gun, some Monte Carlo style stocks with high cheek pieces can hit the bottom portion, when mounting and especially if shooting from a bench with rests.

Midway always runs a special on the Peltors < 80 bucks most of the time.

Lucky Strike
May 16, 2009, 01:54 PM
I got the Insta Molds made and the things fit awesome. Am going out shooting tomorrow so i can test out if they function correctly but they feel like there's such a good seal that I'm not sure how they couldn't work well.

Local sporting goods store has the Peltor 6S on sale for $65 for the next week.....seems like a good sale so I might get those. I originally was looking at the 7s since it has a higher NRR but these plugs seem to work so well that now i'm less concerned about that.

earplug
May 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
If your having fun with others or listening to instructions etc. The Pro ears are great. I double plug and wear the Pro Ears. I can hear what I need or want to hear when shooting inside.
I just use the Pro Ears outside.
They work much better then a cheap set of electronic muffs.
I would compare the cost of good ear protection as equal to importance as a good spotting scope a very worth while expense.
If you don't interact with others while you shoot, don't worry.

Lucky Strike
May 17, 2009, 11:53 PM
Did some outdoor shooting with a couple friends today and tested out the Insta Molds....those things work great.

Brought my cheap muffs to double up with just in case they didn't block out enough sound but I never used them.

We were shooting 9mm, 40, .357 and .223 and the insta molds handled it all wonderfully, very comfortable too. After like 4 hours of having them in I felt no discomfort.

Only downside was they work a little too well (they're rated at like 30 NRR and now i believe them), I was having trouble hearing the other guys talk so this reinforced my want for electronic muffs to wear with them so i'd get max protection and still hear conversations/commands. If just out target shooting by myself though the insta molds are perfect.

After doing some more research ended up ordering a pair of Sordin MSA Supreme Pro X....ended up getting them for $235 (botachtactical is having a 10% sale) so they fit my budget.

Was going to get some Howard Leight Impacts since just about everyone said they were a great budget pair but at the last second I decided to go for the gusto.

This is a personality trait of mine that my wife is learning to love.

They're waterproof so I might try taking them elk hunting with me this fall so i can hear better and not worry about any rain.

Thanks again for all the comments, i'll try and give a mini review of the Sordin's when i get them and put them to use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have appx $250 budget, what ear protection to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!