Holy Downpayment , Batman!!!

PDA

Amadeus
January 17, 2003, 04:19 PM
I just saw a shotgun listed for sale for $41,000 :what:

Aside from all the engraving - what is worth the extra $40,000 over the price of a decent 1k o/u?

Is the purchaser really getting all that more for his money? Or is it like buying a $90,000 Hummer? Sure - it's cool to own - but after all -- it's still just a big truck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holy Downpayment , Batman!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Amadeus
January 17, 2003, 04:22 PM
For all who are curious or have that kind of cash kicking around --- Here's the link, etc.

(12) Perazzi
Model MX8 Extra
12ga 28 _" Barrel
Price $41,000.00

http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/gun_list.htm

HS/LD
January 17, 2003, 04:38 PM
Hhhhhmm I think I might buy that one.

HS/LD

Amadeus
January 17, 2003, 04:48 PM
TOO MANY TOYS :banghead: TOO MANY TOYS :banghead: :banghead: TOO MANY TOYS.:banghead:

Marshall
January 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
Figured it had to be Perazzi, Merkel or Parker.

How about a Parker A1 Special Grade 28ga with single trigger and vent rib Nib at $230,000.00

That's a $140,000.00 House with a Hummer H2 loaded and a 22' Ranger Bass Boat with a 250HP Merc OptiMax.
:what:

Soap
January 17, 2003, 05:05 PM
But when you've already got the $12M house, all the Hummers and all of the standard guns, why not spend $230K on a shotgun? I plan on collecting double rifles sometime in the distant future provided that my other capital is secure.

Dave McCracken
January 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
Latest issue of Shooting Sportsman has some matched pairs going for around $180K.

My friend Doug from the Geezer League doesn't know how many shotguns he owns. They include 5 Purdeys, a Woodward O/U by Churchill, Parkers, Fox,Ithaca, etc doubles and SBTs. Doug shows up to shoot trap with a carload of lethal art, and shoots similar scores as I do with my glorified 870TB. We get much hilarity from that.

Collecting guns can get crazy, I'd rather shoot the things. And as I told another Geezer with a "Best" AYA, that gun was too pretty to hunt with and too well made to leave home. He shoots clays with it.

I can take an 870 literally anyplace, though it might be eyed askance at a top grade Brit Pheasant shoot. And if I drop it overboard, or have to slog through swamps with it, I can without having to see my kids barefoot, hungry and uneducated.

If I hit the lottery, I'd get some fancier guns, and more classic 870s.But they'd be shooters, not those advertised in SS as "Unfired".

To each his own....

Marshall
January 17, 2003, 09:05 PM
Everthing is relative.

I'll leave the Parker to you Daniel, it will make it easier for you to bye one. Post a close up pic when you get it, I would love to see it.

:)

PJR
January 17, 2003, 09:26 PM
Aside from all the engraving - what is worth the extra $40,000 over the price of a decent 1k o/u?

A standard Perazzi MX8 sells in the $7,500USD range. What you are paying for is more hand fitting. What you get at that price range is superb handling, excellent trigger pulls and a fit and finish well above a gun that sells for $1,000.

The rest of the $40,000 gets taken up by gold inlay, hand engraving and exhibition quality wood. Same with Krieghoff or Kolar or any of the other higher grade shotguns.

A friend of mine once observed that a love of fine shotguns is God's way of letting you know you don't make enough money.

For proof drop by this site.

http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/newyork/index.htm

Paul

Amadeus
January 17, 2003, 09:45 PM
"...a love of fine shotguns is God's way of letting you know you don't make enough money."

How very profound. I so love a well made firearm. God has such a terrible sense of humor. Or maybe ----- someone else has been messing with my hardwiring......:evil:

45Badger
January 17, 2003, 09:56 PM
Paul hit on the head with H&H.

My sister lives in London. On a visit a few years ago, she took me by the their shop. I left with a serious case of gunenvy and weak knees. Beautiful guns, the nice ones cost more than my house! "Entry level" was about 13,000 USD at the time.

Soap
January 17, 2003, 09:56 PM
Marshall- Don't worry, I won't be going after a Parker anytime soon! But The Double Gun Journal really can set a young dirty capitalist drooling...Holland and Holland .500/.450...nice ;)

Harold Mayo
January 17, 2003, 10:09 PM
Mr. Flory sounds like a young Henry Bowman.

:D

blades67
January 18, 2003, 12:36 AM
I can take an 870 literally anyplace, though it might be eyed askance at a top grade Brit Pheasant shoot. And if I drop it overboard, or have to slog through swamps with it, I can without having to see my kids barefoot, hungry and uneducated.

Buy a Perazzi and just don't look at the kids when you get back from the hunt.:neener: :evil:

KMKeller
January 18, 2003, 01:00 AM
Gee, and I was sweating the 3Gs I'm looking to spend on that spiffy new Wilson .45...

Marshall
January 18, 2003, 05:26 AM
Qnty, 1 Parker A1 28ga

or

Qnty, 500 Browning Hi Power Pistols or Equivilent

:scrutiny: rofl

Traveler
January 18, 2003, 09:24 PM
I used to sell a fair number of guns in that price range. Even had customers pay cash for them. One of our customers "loaner" guns was a matched pair that cost over $80,000 new. And they were used for duck hunting.

When you buy into a high end shotgun ($10,000 and up) you're buying art, and you're making an investment. Unlike most guns these guns do not devalue. Many of them are custom ordered from the manufacturer, and they can appreciate in value between the order date and the delivery date.

Some of the better makers build less than one gun a month. Some of the engravers are booked solid until they die. (And the engraving alone can run into 6 figures).

Perazzi is a nice gun, but no where near the quality of a Fabri or Bosis, or even a Beretta SO model. And they are less expensive than a Holland & Holland, Purdy, or Boss. If you go to a show (SHOT- NRA- IWA) where Perazzi has their display you can see racks of guns in the $60,000 - $120,000 range.

A copy of the Perazzi catalog is nice to look through, for when you hit the lottery.

MLC
January 20, 2003, 09:01 AM
My favorite part of the H&H site was the $5,200 scope mount.

Greg L
January 20, 2003, 03:54 PM
:eek: :eek:

I wonder if my local dealer would still try a 80-100% markup that he tries with the new handguns.

Greg

bamf
January 20, 2003, 04:14 PM
If I were going to spend that much money (40K+) on a gun, I'd want it at very least custom built to my specifications, I'd pick the engraving, wood (quality/fit), even the type of steel.

I can never understand why someone would pay that much money for a gun that was certainly customed tailored to another person.

They are very pretty to look at and I enjoy reading the Double Gun Journal and seeing all those gun I'll never ever own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holy Downpayment , Batman!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!