New caliber idea?

PDA

bullseye308
May 2, 2009, 04:24 PM
How about necking a 30-30 up to be able to shoot a .357 bullet? Before I get too far into this and start thinking about barrel blanks and chamber reamers, would it work? Has it been done before, I know there aren't too many fresh ideas out there, but I don't recall hearing this one.
Tell me why it won't work if you think it won't, or why it should if you think it can.

If you enjoyed reading about "New caliber idea?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 2, 2009, 04:44 PM
Well, the 38-55 Winchester of 1884 was the base case for the 30-30 when it was introduced in 1895.

So, you could say it's been done before, only backwards.

The 38-55 actually used a slightly larger bullet then .357", but basically the same idea.

The wildcat 35-30/30 was developed about 1900 for use in shot-out 32. Win Special barrels by boreing out & re-rifling them to handle .357" - .358" bullets.

Later wildcats like the .357 Herrett use a shortened and necked up 30-30 case using .357" bullets.

rc

Jim Watson
May 2, 2009, 05:06 PM
There was the .35 Maine Guide, pretty much a .35-30-30 Improved.

loadedround
May 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
What would this new round accomplish that the old 35 Rem couldn't accomplish. Frankly I think you'd be just wastening uyour time and money with this project. :confused:

Jim K
May 4, 2009, 12:10 PM
Gee, guys, noting that something has been done before and a new cartridge will have no real advantage takes all the fun out of "inventing" a new wildcat round.

If Columbus had listened to the nay-sayers, the world would still be flat.

Jim

MMCSRET
May 4, 2009, 01:05 PM
You're trying to tell me it isn't flat?????? NNNNAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

bullseye308
May 4, 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info. It just seemed that there were plenty of actions available and barrels too that could be mated.... I'm not going to pursue it, just wondering about the feasability of it. I guess the 35 rem took that slot anyway. :o

redneck2
May 5, 2009, 06:55 PM
Get a copy of Cartridges of the World and/or Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions. You'll find out that just about anything you can think of has already been done.

Also, after a while you'll figure out that the shape of the case has little to very little effect on performance. A given amount of powder with a given bullet will produce given results. Changing the shoulder angle half a degree or making it a little longer, shorter, fatter, etc. won't change the laws of physics.

What makes you think that a 150 grain 30 caliber bullet performs any differently out of one case than another if they're both going the same speed?

yenchisks
May 5, 2009, 07:15 PM
lets take the 5.56 neck it up to 6mm so you can go from 65-110gr add a cm or two to the width for more powder;.................................... so what did i come up with?

Jim K
May 5, 2009, 09:47 PM
OT, but the interesting fact about the Columbus myth was that in the late 15th century no educated person believed the earth was flat or that Columbus would sail off the edge.

They knew it was a sphere and even knew that it was at least 20,000 miles in circumference, making the voyage 12,000 miles. But Chris had gotten the idea that the earth was only 12,000 miles or so around (less at the latitude of Spain), which would make the distance from Spain to the East Indies less than 2000 miles, an achievable distance.

Since no ship at the time could possibly carry enough provisions for the longer voyage, the "old fogies" told Chris, truthfully, that he couldn't make it. Had not the American continents been in the way, they would have been right and Columbus would never have been heard of again. Just shot full of luck, was our Chris!

Jim

highorder
May 6, 2009, 12:46 AM
lets take the 5.56 neck it up to 6mm so you can go from 65-110gr add a cm or two to the width for more powder;.................................... so what did i come up with?

An incoherent run-on sentence?

Or the .243 WSSM.

yenchisks
May 6, 2009, 01:09 AM
Who's more foolish,the fool are the one that follows ;) no cant be 243wssm,that's much thicker ,it would be a great combat round !!!;).......because I thought of it..................and don't take me to serious

bullseye308
May 6, 2009, 07:05 PM
The general thought was to improve the 30-30 a little, but I see that the 35 Rem did it already. I had heard long ago that there were dies already for anything you could come up with, as someone had already come up with it and tried it. It was another of those....what if we put this in here and do this...kind of things, you know? Anyway, thanks for the responses, I learned something, maybe someone else will to.

Wyobuckaroo
May 6, 2009, 07:41 PM
I would like to see .375 on .338 Win Mag case as a factory available loading.

There is a name for that combo. What is it ?

MMCSRET
May 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
Now wait a minute; as a member in good standing of "The Flat Earth Society", I object; I think, maybe not, I don't know!!!!!!!

Jim Watson
May 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
.35-30 would have a place if you wanted those ballistics in an action that would not handle the rimless .35 Remington. Otherwise, not much application.

yenchisks
May 7, 2009, 09:37 PM
bump

Hostile Amish
May 8, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wouldn't it be the same function as .35 Remington?

If you enjoyed reading about "New caliber idea?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!