M1A Part Identification Questions

PDA

Mot45acp
May 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
Needing to know if I have GI parts, Commercial, or junk that needs to be replaced. Or any other pertinent info.

Got a M1A scout/squad markings as follows:

Receiver: U.S. RIFLE M1A
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY (circle "t")
076XXX

Bolt: Dimple
7790185 HRT
AO3

OP Rod: 7267064

Barrel: GENESEO. IL. under the charging handle. (might be something else under the upper hand guard)

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Part Identification Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well, the receiver is commercial, and the barrel is commercial.

Don't know about the other stuff.

Springfield Armory, Inc never made any GI guns or parts though.

The government Springfield Arsenal, which built GI guns, was located in Springfield, MA.
It closed in 1968.

Springfield Armory, Inc. opened it's doors in 1974.
GENESEO. IL. is part of their address.

rc

loadedround
May 3, 2009, 06:35 PM
I can tell you that your bolt was made by Harrington & Richardson(the 22 pistol people) and is a GI part. Sorry, but I can't help you with the rest. :)

10X
May 4, 2009, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't replace anything unless you see signs of failure.

The receiver and barrel are commercial. The bolt is USGI. Don't know about the Op Rod. There is little and rare problem with these.

I would keep an extractor, ejector, associated springs and firing pin as spares. If the extractor flips off to never never land you won't be down.
Some commercial Springfield extractors did not have a deep enough indentation to hold the spring. Keep USGI spares, just in case.

10X
May 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
Double Tap , sorry.

30Cal
May 4, 2009, 05:25 PM
66118 on the oprod is the CAGE for winchester.

TEDDY
May 16, 2009, 10:50 PM
its a comercial gun using gi parts.no m14 were sold to civilians.

BADSBSNF81
May 17, 2009, 03:18 PM
There are a few legally transferrable M14's on the NFA registry.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Part Identification Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!