+P for 38spl backup?

PDA

Mokwepa
May 3, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi guys

new here.

I would like to know if it is possible to shoot +P hard cast solid ammo through my "Astra Inox 38spl----in stainless". I am a game ranger and hunt on a regular basis, sometimes several times a week. I would like to carry the snubby for back up shots(on warthog mainly) while hunting with my rifle, muzzleloader or bow.

Before i get shot down at the knees.......I do not intend to hunt with the 38 and i am aware of its limitations. I know there are better calibres that is why ive just bought a .44 redhawk 7.5" however licensing in SA will prevent me obtaining the 7.5" beauty for about 2 years:cuss:.

I have searched the net and can't find a thing. The revolver belonged to my grandfather, so its old but has barely been fired (no more than 100 shots). It does not have +P stamped on the barrel before anyone asks.

When reloading, how do you check for too high pressure when loading +P rounds. Im certain that the primer will be flat anyway, is there anything else to look for when its getting dangerously high?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dylan

If you enjoyed reading about "+P for 38spl backup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MR.LOKI
May 3, 2009, 12:37 AM
I would say absolutely no. I f you have to shoot +p buy a gun that is rated for it. Grandads old snubby sounds like a bad choice.

Chicken-Farmer
May 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
I don't see where 38 +P would be much better at close range than good old 38 special. Are you looking to use the pistol for very close in dispatching of game? If six rounds of 38 special close in doesn't handle the job, then maybe the beast wasn't meant to die! :)
Search online, but if it doesn't specifically say +P rated, then don't chance it. You'll end up with a destroyed heirloom at best.
Sorry about to hear about your wait on your newly acquired Redhawk.

Chicken-Farmer

David E
May 3, 2009, 01:00 AM
Astra revolvers are fairly stout.

Occasional +P use won't blow anything up. Use the best loads that you can (without going up to +P+ level) while your licensing for a better gun/caliber is in process.

Gordon
May 3, 2009, 02:55 AM
Use full metal jacket 158 grain Fiocchi, or Sellior and Bellot or german 158 grain round nose full metal jacket. That should bust threw the skull of most plains game at 50 feet or less. I have used .38 158 grain Fiocchi FMJ out of a 2" snub to slaughter 400 pound pig and steers- it works.

SaxonPig
May 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
I am not familiar with the Astra brand, but if it really is made of stainless it's probably fairly tough.

Also bear in mind that factory +P is not a warm load. It is loaded 3,000 PSI below the maximum allowable for the caliber. I suspect +P would not harm your gun at all.

rcmodel
May 3, 2009, 11:58 AM
When reloading, how do you check for too high pressure when loading +P rounds. Im certain that the primer will be flat anyway, is there anything else to look for when its getting dangerously high?There are no pressure signs you can use with +P .38 Special loads.

Pressure is less then half that of a .357 Mag, so primers will tell you nothing.
There is no measurable case-head expansion either.

Use load manual max .38 Special load data only.

For dispatching wounded game, your best results will be with a hard-cast 158 grain SWC bullet. It will give better skull penetration then any other bullet at that velocity.

+P factory loads are designed for self-defense use and are really soft lead. They will flatten and not penetrate well on hard head bones.

rc

doc540
May 3, 2009, 01:06 PM
"Use full metal jacket 158 grain Fiocchi, or Sellior and Bellot or german 158 grain round nose full metal jacket. That should bust threw the skull of most plains game at 50 feet or less. I have used .38 158 grain Fiocchi FMJ out of a 2" snub to slaughter 400 pound pig and steers- it works."

this

ArchAngelCD
May 4, 2009, 03:06 AM
IMO you would be better off carrying a .357 Magnum revolver loaded with a heavy hard cast bullet with a wide meplat.

Mokwepa
May 4, 2009, 03:36 AM
Hi ArchAngelCD

I have purchased a Redhawk 44-7.5"
but i need something at the moment while i wait for my licence.

I shot yesterday and ive decided to load up 0.2 grns below max recomended, just to be safe. I havent cronod it yet but ill do that today.

What is exceptable accuracy out of a snubby ie: average group size at what distance?

I know they are for close range work but i enjoy plinking at longer ranges to see what it can do. im talking about 15-20meters, not 50 - 100, that would be a waste of lead.

Thanks for the input guys
Dylan

ArchAngelCD
May 4, 2009, 04:28 AM
What is exceptable accuracy out of a snubby ie: average group size at what distance?
Many shooters call a snub nose revolver a "belly gun", I don't agree. What's acceptable to you will depend upon how far out you need to protect yourself. I routinely practice out to 25 yards with my J frame revolver and can shoot well at that distance. I won't tell you the group sizes at 25 yards because most people argue with me and tell me it's not possible. For someone new to shooting a snub nose revolver you should be able to put 5 rounds inside a 5" circle @10 yards. That's an acceptable "combat" group, after all, a snub nose revolver is a SD weapon, not a target gun. A short barrel revolver is not inherently inaccurate, it's just a little harder to shoot well at distances because small mistakes are amplified because of the short barrel and in turn the short sight radius. Many shooters give up way too soon and aren't willing to put the time in that's required to improve their shooting and learn the skills required to shoot a short barrel revolver well. (I'm sure you aren't one of them) Just practice and you will be fine. A good drill is trying to shoot 5 rounds into a 5" circle in 5 seconds from 5 yards out. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Mokwepa
May 4, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks

Your advice is great and makes sence. I wouldnt say that im new to shooting, i have to fire 20 rounds from my .375 every month to stay a legal guide and i own a few firearms. However you are right in saying that im new to a snubby. Ive had the revolver for a while but have only now decided to learn it inside out. I shot 2 days ago and yesterday and kept all my shots within 4.5" at 12meters and 14meters. Both groups were 15 shots and 10 shots respectively. I was extatic to see that a snubby could do that. Im quite happy.

Dylan

ArchAngelCD
May 5, 2009, 03:36 AM
Mokwepa,
That kind of shooting is more than fine for defensive shooting. Well done...

If you enjoyed reading about "+P for 38spl backup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!