Are Any Firearm Manfacturers Your Not Fond Of ?

PDA

DoubleAction
May 4, 2009, 07:18 AM
Glock

Taurus

Hi Point

Jennings Bryco and the rest of that junk

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Any Firearm Manfacturers Your Not Fond Of ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cpt. America
May 4, 2009, 07:20 AM
I just like guns don't matter what make or model.

rocinante
May 4, 2009, 07:29 AM
So far I haven't gotten a lemon. One of the things I do is look at companies with bad reputations that might no longer apply. I bought an Auto Ordinance 1911 and couldn't be happier with it. Granted I am not a 1911 expert but even my discerning gun snob checked it out and gave it an approving albeit grudging grunt.

I really like my Taurus PT145.

Even within a company some products may be great and others so so. Love my Ruger Vaqueros but less happy with their 22 caliber products.

DoubleAction
May 4, 2009, 07:33 AM
I not a snob, I'm trader, purchaser, and a gun swindler.

Smith357
May 4, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have my favorites but even Winchester and Colt have had a few dogs over the years.

I guess I'm not too fond of any sort of cheap zinc throw away gun like Jennings and Hi-Point.

I'm not knocking them per sey, I know that often they are all that one can afford and can be better than nothing, I have even owned a few crappy Euro revolvers in the past. My outlook has changed over the years and I prefer quality over quantity. I like what I would call Heirloom pieces.

Regular Joe
May 4, 2009, 08:01 AM
ROOGURRRR I was a dyed in the wool fan until I bought a P-95 that flattens the extractor if I leave a round chambered. They sent me a second extractor, and the same thing happened. This is the first Rooo..ach... Ru..sputter.... gun of that brand that has failed me. My 10/.22's are great, but that is a design from a whole different era. The only way to get a P-95 fixed is to send it back to them, at considerable cost and wait. Why play that game, when my Glocks are 100% reliable, far more accurate, and serviceable with parts from a long list of providers? I will NEVER again waste one cent on any of their products.

atblis
May 4, 2009, 09:53 AM
EAA/Tanfoglio pretty much tops my list. Has more to do with EAA's lovely customer service in conjunction with Tanfoglio's penchant for cranking out the odd lump of crap. Very frustrating as I know Tanfoglio can make world class pistols, but they definitely make more than their share of Monday/Friday guns. What the hell guys?

Hipoint kinda irks me because I can't formulate a concise and cohesive argument about why not to buy one. This is in the context of someone buying their first gun and not really sure if they're going to "stick with it". They just want a starter gun. The best I can come up with is, "it's not a real gun".

MMCSRET
May 4, 2009, 10:28 AM
I cannot get myself into accepting firearms with polymer(read plastic) main components. I need steel!!! I suppose plastic grip panels are ok. I don't own any alloy or polymer main frame guns with the exception of 2 Mossberg 500 shotguns and they are from the early 60's. I don't want a 22 rifle with an alloy receiver(10-22, M60, et al). I've had a number of them and got shucked of them in short order.

HoosierQ
May 4, 2009, 10:43 AM
It is a moot point now but my 2003 Winchester model '94 with the pushbutton safety was kind of a disappointment. I passed over a nice Marlin 30-30 for one hundred less buck to get this thing and well, it was just disapointing. While the wood was nice, the finish was very uneven. I am pretty sure had I bought the Marlin I'd still have it.

At the time, I was ignorant of the whole pre vs. post 1964 thing and wanted a Winchester since I was a boy. I was also ignorant of the fact that since the middle of the 20th century, Marlin was the premium lever action maker.

Obviously nobody can take all that history away from Winchester, nobody should, and far be it for me to do so either...just saying.

mcdonl
May 4, 2009, 10:51 AM
I love my taurus revolver... and I have a HP C9... not my favorite gun, but Hi Point is the best company to deal with.

Worse gun company... don't think I have ever not been happy with one.

Double action, which HP, Glock and Taurus models did you buy? Maybe you just had a run of bad luck.

I guess I have been a little unhappy with my nagant revolver, but I cannot seem to find the customer support number :)

Leroy

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 4, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ruger.

hankdatank1362
May 4, 2009, 11:07 AM
Nope.

Well, I did have a Daewoo DH-40 that was a pos, back in the day, but what do you expect from a company that makes cars, guns, televisions, and everything in between? Kinda my fault for buying it.

I now realize that I can't afford to buy crappy firearms, and stick with companies of known, reputable quality. I'm a big SIG fan.

But that's not to say I'm a snob. To each their own.

aka108
May 4, 2009, 11:54 AM
I've never really enjoyed any Ruger I've ever owned, handgun or longgun. Basically poor accuracy for the money. Most have been sold off, two more to go.

searcher451
May 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
Never owned a Glock, have never had a whim to own a Glock, and most likely never will own a Glock ... unless someone wanted to give me one, for some unexplained reason. Even then, I don't suspect that it would hang around for long. Tried a Taurus a couple of years back, but it didn't last past the first range visit before it went on consignment and was soon gone. Do enjoy my Rugers, however. The Mark target pistol line is exceptional, as is the 10/22; and no man should be without a Bearcat.

22-rimfire
May 4, 2009, 12:47 PM
So far I have not had a problem with any firearm that I have purchased that I considered the result of poor quality or manufacturing issues.

I don't generally buy no-name guns. That includes Heritage, Taurus, Jennings (and similar), or Hi Point. Ruger was on that list for years until I got a Mark II. Then I hesitantly purchased a GP-100 and was pleased. Ruger is off the list. However I am not a fan of Ruger centerfire pistols. Won't buy one. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it.

Added: However, I am still considering a Taurus Judge for fun. One of these days.

hometheaterman
May 4, 2009, 01:40 PM
The biggest company I dislike would be Byrco Jennings and the associated companies that make basically guns that are crap.

The other one which I'm not near as unfond of but still do not like is Remington. My reason for not liking Remington is almost. I say almost as there have been a few exceptions to this but almost all of the Remingtons I've used have had something that just didn't seem right about it. They just seem to really lack quality control. Maybe I've just seen bad ones but I've just just not had good experiences with them. I'd probably buy one again if there were no better alternatives however, in almost all cases there seems to be a better alternative out there. I've also had bad luck with their ammo too.

cloudedice
May 4, 2009, 01:58 PM
I don't like Glock, but it's purely for aesthetic/feel reasons. By all accounts I've heard, they're incredibly reliable. I just don't like the look of them or how they feel in my hand.

I don't like the Sig P250 for the same reason and I really like Sigs. (I can only comment on the aesthetics of the p250 as I've never held one.)

Gunnerpalace
May 4, 2009, 02:31 PM
Kimber,
Colt,

And a couple others that I would get badly bashed here for.

MountainBear
May 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of Taurus. I've owned several. I think their revolvers are a cheap copy of a S&W (and I'm not a S&W snob). I don't like the way they fit their internals to their frames. Their autos are a joke in my opinion. The only time I had to deal with their customer service (to replace internal parts on the aforementioned revolver), I called to order parts two years ago and am still waiting (I ended up having to machine new parts to replace Taurus's crap, and I had to eat a bunch of man/machine hours to stick to my quote for my customer).
If its all you can afford, some gun is better than none. Its not as bad as Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, etc., but if you offer me a brand new Taurus or a well-used old Ruger (should be close in price, either auto or revolver), and I'll take the well-used Ruger every day of the week and twice on Sunday...

JR47
May 4, 2009, 02:52 PM
Smith & Wesson, Glock, and HK. All three produce some fine weapons, but the QC, and CS are both only shadows of themselves. Glocks CS is undoubtedly the most arrogant group in existence today, followed closely by HK. My USP would pattern at 15 yards. It received a new barrel from HK, but was shipped back WITHOUT the O-ring. When I asked them to replace it, I was informed that "HK won't let a gun out of it's hands without insuring that it's 100%".

I pay too much money for these guns to have them fail immediately. Others bash various brands, but the "best" out there is a far cry from perfect.

10-Ring
May 4, 2009, 02:54 PM
The only guns I've had that I had issue(s) w/ were from Taurus & Sig -- I will never buy another Tauri.

TEDDY
May 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
most of you only know the high cost guns before WW2 the most guns were low cost revolvers,and there were hundred manufactures. thet like the locin and others were made to protect you and not be hammered to death.I have had over a hundred.they worked but mostley they were kept for protection and ammo cost money.a hunter bought a box and used it for yrs.not like now when you shoot up 400 on a weekend.35 cents an hr did not go far.rent was $35 month,food clothes ect,no TV,a philco radio.most had no cars.your living high of the hog boy.I lived then.born 1924.:rolleyes:
so stop crabbing.and live happy.

ScottG1911
May 4, 2009, 04:04 PM
Fabrique Nationale de Herstal :uhoh:

Oh wait you said bad lol, I'd Say the worst gun I've owned is a S&W 9mm sigma, but I have nothing against Smith, all my gun's I've had are great.

highorder
May 4, 2009, 04:05 PM
Chey-Tac.

Anyone that makes a "civilian" version of a civilian firearm for PC's sake can pound sand.

gvnwst
May 4, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ruger.

1+. I don't mind their DESIGNS, but i will never buy a ruger 10/22. Maybe one assmebeled with quality parts, but never a ruger built one.

John Wayne
May 4, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not particularly fond of Taurus. I own a PT-140 Millenium Pro and owned a Model 94 .22 revolver, which had to be repaired. In their defense, the model 94 was back to me in a month (from Brazil, no less) and worked after that. I have been pleased with my PT-140, although I am not happy with the lack of aftermarket parts...can't fault the manufacturer for that though.

My main concern with Taurus is the guys that are of the "just get a revolver and you can be sure it works" opinion. My revolver cycled fine until it had ammo in it.

I have mixed feelings about Taurus, and probably won't buy another, but Kel-Tec is one company I can say I'm genuinely disappointed in. I want to support them for their innovative designs, and have owned a Sub-2000 in 9mm, .40, and currently own a P3AT. All have had problems, and the P3AT has been back at the factory for a FTE problem for around 2 months now. I wish they had better QC, instead I am relegated to waiting on other manufacturers to fix Kel-Tec's designs.

And is it really that freakin' hard to spell "you're?"

ArmedBear
May 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
I don't dislike whole manufacturers, really.

I have some Smiths with locks, and I don't care. I like the Mini-14 (but not the 10/22). I wouldn't buy a Rossi revolver, but their lever guns are nice. Were I not such a happy customer of Marlin, I'd get one. (If Marlin becomes too much like Remington, I'd probably have to.)

Okay, I generally don't care for Remington. Much of what they make, if it's not junk, is a half-assed firearm at more than a full-house price. But I have and like an 870 and an 1100, or at least I like them within the bounds of reason. I don't expect a $235 shotgun to be a $2350 shotgun.

desidog
May 4, 2009, 05:11 PM
Walther. Both the P22 and G22 i had were craptastic. Each took a trip back to the factory, each still sucked. The P22 hammer spring broke, then was too weak to ignite a cartridge, and the slide hold-open on the slide doesn't work after a couple mags. The G22 trigger sucked, the rear sight was way too high (and plastic) and the gun jammed every other shot with any ammo; they re-reamed the chamber, still sucked. Oh, and its a bear to clean. Lesson: don't buy guns made in a toy factory.

ArmedBear
May 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
Lesson: don't buy guns made in a toy factory.

Ah, but some of my best toys were made in gun factories...:D

I have one Walther, and it's over 30 years old. Works like a champ, though. So I can't say that I don't like Walther across the board, either.

alistaire
May 4, 2009, 05:29 PM
HK

Need I say more?

eitrheim31
May 4, 2009, 05:49 PM
remington, tired of there bad quality control

DoubleAction
May 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Double action, which HP, Glock and Taurus models did you buy? Maybe you just had a run of bad luck.

I have the uppermost respect for American made firearms, Swiss, German, and those from Great Britain. I don't like the polymer frames, MIM components, or cheap knock offs of our American made firearms. Although, like anybody else, I am persuaded do otherwise accordingly to my own conduct.

My mouth waters every time I see a HK "Expert Model" or "Mark 23".

My Italian made Uberti / 44 magnum / 44 special

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/DoubleAction77/SA%20Revolvers/VikingBianchi.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/DoubleAction77/SA%20Revolvers/StagC.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/DoubleAction77/SA%20Revolvers/Uberti.jpg

TAB
May 4, 2009, 07:21 PM
only 2

ruger

glock

Auburn1992
May 4, 2009, 07:43 PM
Cooper

gunsandreligion
May 4, 2009, 08:34 PM
Remington, and the new winchesters.

The Deer Hunter
May 4, 2009, 08:40 PM
If they make guns, they still have one up over most groups in my book.

BaltimoreBoy
May 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
I remember the '70s when they seemed to be just fine with growing restrictions on gun ownership. I guess they figured they had the government (particularly police) contracts sewed up.

Sure, it was a few owners (I think) ago, but that kind of impression leaves a permanent bad taste in the mouth.

SigP229R
May 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
Glock
Rohrbaugh
Hi-Point
Jennings/Bryco
Star
Should I continue? nope too many to name.

tju1973
May 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
Actually Steyer and H&K-- not because of how they work, but how they look-- just can't warm to them.

I do like Hi Points-- despite their ugliness--

Had a so/so with Jennings/Jimenez--had a J22 that was great-- had 2 Jimenez that took so much F&B to get going well, I bailed--

Actually bailed on all my SNS-es-- Liked them, but culled my "herd" and got money for more ammo and other guns..
\

I never hate any gun, nor make fun of what someone buys--

If it works for them-- then good---

dobrzemetal
May 5, 2009, 01:10 AM
Well, if were bashing blocks, I mean glocks. I hate them myself, I shot a few and just cant stand them. :barf:

stevelyn
May 5, 2009, 04:12 AM
Colt
HK

denfoote
May 5, 2009, 04:25 AM
Sigs and HKs leave me cold.

tasco 74
May 5, 2009, 04:25 AM
i'm like older smith&wessons and colts......... i do like my ruger mkII stainless target model ..... i do have a ruger 1022 custom.... about the only thing left on the 1022 that came from ruger is the action houseing....... i don't have a lot of money to spend on guns so i try and get the best for the money....... i have an older barretta auto that won't shoot at all so i'm not too impressed with them anymore..... i really don't care for the rossis or any of the cheaper guns.... i'm not too fond of plastic framed guns yet either.....

LIFE IS SHORT.....

loop
May 5, 2009, 07:08 AM
I have a really long list.

The battle for No. 1 and No. 2 is tough, but it comes out to Ruger and Springfield. They are both overrated and overpriced pieces of junk. The pricing structure alone should scare the pee out of a prospective buyer.

Nos. 3 through 6 are anything from South America or the Philippines. Nothing original has ever come from either of those places and they are not nearly as good at making copies as the Chinese.

Then we get to the Ravens, et al. That ought to get me up to 12. Junk is junk no matter where it is made.

Everything from Hungary. No one in the country can spell metallurgy.

Anything that started life in Turkey. It is the "get a bigger hammer" country.

And, anything that says Hecho en Mexico.

Funny thing, now that I've typed that out, I don't own any of those guns. But, my vault is the biggest room in my house...

An aside, I've heard and seen fewer complaints about Smith & Wesson than any other handgun ever.

Rifles, pfft, got another thread?

And, there are more crappy shotguns on the market than any other gun type on the market.

71Commander
May 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
Glock and Ruger.

SSN Vet
May 5, 2009, 10:19 AM
just the traitors...

won't abide a Ruger in my safe

rogertc1
May 5, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have a firearm by most firearm manufacturers and I have to say I love them all.

Pun1sher
May 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
Glock, because they are all very ugly... however I may buy one anyway simply because of how dependable they are. Hi- point, because its cheap and ugly as hell. Most likely will never buy one.

mp510
May 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm baffled why gun owners contune to support HK as HK tries to sue ATI and GSG out of business, and that's after years of HK taking gun owners money as it enforces a quasi gun ban on us by refusing to sell semi auto rifles/mp5s to us peons. We would fight any effort to pass a ban on normal capacity magazines, but many of us give money to a company that enforces a magazine ban on every buyer of an overpriced HK USC or SL8.
HK has a legal obligation to protect their designs/trademarks if they wish to be able to ensure their protection in the future. Protecting private property (especially intelectual property these days) is a hallmark of our economic system.

They used to sell semi auto clones of their battle weapons in the US. They were banned from importation. They modified the line again, nad found themselves subject to another ban. Considering how little they make on US civilian sales, its more profitable for them to try and focus on government contracts.

Again, with their semi-autos---if they were importing them as hi-cap capable, they wouldn't be legal to sell to civilians.

dobrzemetal
May 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
also HK has supported the makarov slaughter in Estonia.Estonian defence forces destroyed 6000 decommissioned Makarov, TT and Colt pistols, most of them completely unsused.
The destruction of the guns was part of a deal with Heckler & Koch, to be able to buy new H&K pistols with remarkably cheaper price.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/p0lice1234/makarov1.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/p0lice1234/makarov2.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/p0lice1234/makarov3.jpg
:barf::barf: HK needs to die for this

HammerheadSSN663
May 5, 2009, 09:49 PM
"We need guns........LOTS of guns."

Neo

hometheaterman
May 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
I'm kind of surprised to see soo many guys that don't like Rugers. All of the ones I've ever used have been great. Usually at a pretty good price too. The only thing bad I've ever seen with them is the accuracy with some. While not horrible not great either. Others have been very accurate.

Why do you guys not like them so much?

Gunnerpalace
May 6, 2009, 03:48 AM

Google Ruger Letter or Ruger AWB.

In their defense they have gone back on a lot of policies, and now sell 30rd magazines for the Mini-14

rogertc1
May 6, 2009, 10:15 AM
S&W did the same darn thing as Ruger did..yet people still worship and buy them.

BBQLS1
May 6, 2009, 11:00 AM
The Ruger thing changed when Bill was no longer running things. I don't have a problem with the company now. Just a company trying to make/sell firearms.

mp510
May 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
also HK has supported the makarov slaughter in Estonia.Estonian defence forces destroyed 6000 decommissioned Makarov, TT and Colt pistols, most of them completely unsused.
The destruction of the guns was part of a deal with Heckler & Koch, to be able to buy new H&K pistols with remarkably cheaper price.

The Makarov's look Russian- I'm not sure if those would have been importable. Same with the TT's (which would have needed modification to be importable). I also know that several other Eastern European countries have joined more industrial countries in adopting policies against selling surplus weapons, to prevent furthering conflicts and genocide in the third world.

outerlimit
May 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
I dislike Taurus, because too much slips by their QC.

But it's hard to hate Taurus, because they are so innovative and make a lot of cool stuff.

I dislike Glock because their guns are overpriced.

But it's hard to hate Glock because their products generally work without any major issues. (for the most part)

I dislike Kimber because their guns are way overpriced.

But it's hard to hate Kimber because of Series II pistols, oh ya that's also why I hate Kimber, that and because they made the first 1911's with metal injection molded parts, ya I hate Kimber they and their customer dis-service. And also the crappy mags they ship with their 1911s. I hope they've changed vendors, but the ones they used to pack were real recycle bin material.

Their slides and frames are pretty solid and are good fodder for a custom gun though if you can get ahold of a parts gun for cheap.

gvnwst
May 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
For me, it is not the politics, all the rugers i have gotton my hands on were innaccurate, felt bad, and had quality control issues. Oh, and their pathetic sights.... The grip designs on the MK pistol series feel like 1x1s. (on the 10/22, overpriced, innaccurate, horrible trigger, but the design is good. Just not the people who make it)

LoneCoon
May 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
In my cabinets are everything from Hi point to Marlin.

I don't dislike any particular manufacturer, as I've never had any trouble with my pistols or rifles other than the occasional spring that needed replacing.

Perhaps I'm too laid back about what I expect from my firearms, but every gun I've ever had has gone bang when I pull the trigger.

Except for that one squib load, or broken spring, but both were my fault.

.cheese.
May 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
HK... because they hate me (and you).

I had a really bad customer service experience with Glock, but I think I only hate the guy I dealt with, who claimed he was the CS manager. Basically, I got a post ban magazine that said "For Law Enforcement Only" or something to that effect as the mag that came with a new Glock purchase (brand new in box). Additionally, the magazine had a very weak spring and something just didn't seem right. I called CS and explained that I was concerned both about the marking and the weak spring. The guy at Glock gave me a really hard time and argued with me, going so far at one point as to more or less call me "stupid". Eventually, they swapped the mag out after about an hour on the phone with them.

On the other hand, I've had a great customer service experience with Glock as well where I was trying to figure out how to get the base pad off of a magazine (this was with my first Glock years ago). The guy (different guy) explained how to do it and at one point told me to use a mallet. I told him I was worried it would break. He told me that if it broke he'd send me a new one free of charge. That was customer service!

That's why I say that I really only hate that one guy who was fairly nasty to me.

Other than that, I hate Wilson Combat... but not for any rational reason. It's just because i can't afford a damn thing they make. lol

JR47
May 6, 2009, 02:36 PM
For me, it is not the politics, all the rugers i have gotton my hands on were innaccurate, felt bad, and had quality control issues. Oh, and their pathetic sights.... The grip designs on the MK pistol series feel like 1x1s. (on the 10/22, overpriced, innaccurate, horrible trigger, but the design is good. Just not the people who make it)

Certainly that explains how Ruger has sold so many of the firearms. According to the NSSF Bullet Points, they announced a 55% increase in sales volume for the first-quarter of 2009.

You must be one unlucky person if what you posted is true. A couple of million others haven't experienced anything even remotely like yours.:rolleyes:

atblis
May 7, 2009, 11:03 PM
Certainly that explains how Ruger has sold so many of the firearms. According to the NSSF Bullet Points, they announced a 55% increase in sales volume for the first-quarter of 2009.
LCP maybe?

SG Merc
May 7, 2009, 11:45 PM
It's interesting that gun owners love HK and hate Hi Point ...

Because HK hates gun owners, whereas Hi Point actually is quite fond of us.

Heck, using my Hi Point I outshot most of the people in my last handgun course who were using Glocks, Smith's, and the sort.

Buying an expensive gun will not make you a better shooter, and buying an inexpensive gun should not make you a worse shot! A skilled shooter should be able to do well with any firearm. And likewise any firearms expert should be able to work almost any firearm into being a highly reliable tool.

Hammerhead6814
May 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm personally not to fond of Century Arms. For years they're WASR rifles (this is post-ban) were junk. Most home-made receivers I've seen are above Century Arms quality. I won't comment on their recent WASR's. There are a few down at Show me that do not have any magazine wobble, and feel solid enough.

Another manufacturer I'm not fond of is Ruger. I know a lot of guys love Ruger products, but Bill Ruger's limiting us to ten round magazines and giving Hollywood the big thirty-round magazines for movies and for stunts reeked of elitism.

I'm also a little hard on S&W Sigma pistols. "Swock" seems to be a well-deserved name, they look and feel, even recoil, like a Glock. At least try and make a new product S&W, don't just copy-and-paste.

Products I LOVE:

Kel-Tec, all of their products are not only top-notch in terms of quality but they refuse to buckle under trends and continue to try and produce new and interesting designs.

Remington. If anyone has ever held a poor-quality Remington Rifle or Shotgun, speak now, or otherwise I'll continue to believe such a thing doesn't exist.

RP88
May 8, 2009, 12:14 AM
China. Maybe it's because I never bought one of their AKs...

I don't like HK. Overpriced guns from a company that hates us.

Don't like Colt much because of how they play with their civilian market when it comes to ARs, but do think they have a nice product.

largecaliber
May 9, 2009, 11:21 PM
Like foreign cars I don't buy firearms that aren't made in this country either. Not that they are not well made or operate well it's just that I believe in buying American when ever I can but that's just me.

Clifford
May 9, 2009, 11:43 PM
I dont really hate any companies, though I think whoever designed the sigma should be pistol whipped with everyone that came off the assembly line for making a gun that ugly! I just dont buy unless its made in America with American parts. Remember springer owners your guns are made from parts overseas, no winchester guns for me as well they are owned by F.N.

loop
May 10, 2009, 06:05 AM
I don't like Rugers because they aren't very good guns. I've owned a dozen or two and don't anymore.

I only had one that was accurate, a 10/22 rifle, and wish I'd saved that one.

But, when a Mini14 with a lifetime guarantee had the bolt blow up in my face (thank the lord I was wearing shooting glasses) Ruger not only refused to cover it in any way, but told me that if I wanted another one I'd have to buy it.

How about that? They risk my life and then want me to give them more money.

And, when I tried once to shoot a Ruger auto upside down during an IDPA match (lying on my back and shooting over my head) it jammed on every round. As did every other Ruger that day. There was a rush to trade in Rugers during the next month and there wasn't a single one at the next IDPA match.

I haven't seen a Ruger in a pistol match in years. There is a reason for that. They are not accurate enough and reliable enough to use in matches. Competitors want to win.

Taurus is not innovative. Taurus copies what other makers do and twists a few variations together and then thumps its chest going "Look what we did!"

On the subject of Brazilian guns, I've seen more Springfields fail during IDPA matches than all other brands combined over the last decade. I know, I'm the RO and I have to clear them.

The last failure at an IDPA match was a Springer and so was the one before it.

Springers may be alright when you are target shooting or plinking, but put them in a situation where multiple times a day they are rattling off strings of 10 to 20 rounds at a rate of a round a second and pfft.

These days I'm shooting an EAA Witness that costs less than 95 percent of all SA models. It has performed flawlessly for a year and a half in IDPA matches. I've shot it in about 20 matches and posted more than 12 wins (I know because I won the first 12 I shot with it).

Smith & Wesson may have turned traitor years ago, but it really doesn't matter what a company did more than a decade ago. What matters is that every S&W revolver I've ever picked up or seen works right and is accurate. Even my 90+ year-old model 1917. I wouldn't own one of their autos long enough to sell it, but their revolvers are the standard to which others are compared.

HK's politics suck and their guns are no better than Glocks. They are incredibly overpriced and overrated. IMHO, the only people who carry HKs are ones who want to have the image of "I spent more money on my stock gun than you did."

I spent less on my customized Kimber, Colt, etc., than they did on their stock HK. I am not impressed. At least HKs turn in respectable performances in IDPA..

BelgiqueNut
May 10, 2009, 09:53 AM
S&W Scandium (sp?) .357 Revolver. Cylinder wouldn't turn after firing one round, not matter what brand of ammo; even had trouble opening cylinder after firing. Same with .38 Special ammo.

I love my Taurus Titanium CIA Model 850 .38 Special. It's had several hundred rounds through it and is a tack-driver, but my friend bought a Millenium semi-auto 9mm, and the trigger was almost too hard to pull.

S&W Sigma - wouldn't feed more than two rounds of ball ammo without jamming. Feels like a toy.

I don't like any of the Glocks except the Model 36, because the others don't fit my hand or trigger fingers. However, I love my Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm tack-driver; it fits my hand perfectly and just feels natural.

Also, I've owned several 3" 1911 pistols by Springfield and Kimber, and none of them worked. The Kimber wouldn't always feed, would double-feed, and wouldn't always extract. Returned under warranty, the factory polished the ramp, installed a new extractor, but it still acted the same, even with Wilson and other high-dollar magazines. Pretty-looking, but I couldn't depend on it. Because of my experience, I could never buy another 3" 1911.

Justin
May 10, 2009, 03:48 PM
I had a really bad customer service experience with Glock, but I think I only hate the guy I dealt with, who claimed he was the CS manager. Basically, I got a post ban magazine that said "For Law Enforcement Only" or something to that effect as the mag that came with a new Glock purchase (brand new in box).

.cheese., when did you buy this Glock?

Kino74
May 10, 2009, 06:52 PM
I generally stay away from any manufacturer that will not support my 2A or one that treats me like a red-headed stepchild.

Archery Ham
May 10, 2009, 07:20 PM
Because they are expensive:
1) Blaser
2) Steyr
3) Barrett
4) Glock
5) S&W

Because of inaccuracy:
1) Ruger Mini-14

Other than that, I like most firearms. :D

Nom de Forum
May 10, 2009, 11:19 PM
Kahr because in my opinion the seed from which this company grew was fertilized from ethically ill gotten gains at best and possibly legally ill gotten gains.

flrfh213
May 10, 2009, 11:55 PM
well.... davis industry comes to mind... hi-point makes the list too...

model of 1905
May 11, 2009, 12:09 AM
I would own a Kimber but I wouldn't buy a Kimber. I can say the same about Taurus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Any Firearm Manfacturers Your Not Fond Of ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!