new backstop

PDA

jacob.elliott
May 4, 2009, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to share my new backstop i built this weekend.

six semi tires filled with sand and put on skids.
shot it three times with 8mm-06 and could barely find the point of entry.
self healing and only cost about ten bucks for the hardware.

If you enjoyed reading about "new backstop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geronimo509
May 4, 2009, 05:44 PM
do you have a pic?

Sounds like a good idea

jacob.elliott
May 4, 2009, 05:54 PM
kinda forgot that didn't i :rolleyes:

[IMG]http://thehighroad.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5577642[IMG]

jacob.elliott
May 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
im guessing it ways about 2500 lbs

jtuck
May 4, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you shoot only high powered rifles at this backstop or do you shoot slower moving pistols at it as well? Someone once advised me against a tire/rubber back stop because the slower moving projectiles might not penetrate and could bounce back at you. I have no personal experience with this, just an observation.

jacob.elliott
May 4, 2009, 06:08 PM
that is a good point. very seldom is anything less powerful than a 30-30/sks shot though.

thanks for the post

Carne Frio
May 4, 2009, 06:12 PM
Wow ! Looks good. I'll bet .38 rnl from a two inch barrel at 25 feet would be too much excitement !:D

jtuck
May 4, 2009, 06:14 PM
It looks good though. I'd say it will stop about any rifle round you throw at it.

jacob.elliott
May 4, 2009, 06:15 PM
i hope so the tree we were using befor is right behind it and it is cut about half in two

CountGlockula
May 4, 2009, 08:04 PM
My local range uses tire pieces for their back stop.

I think they just go to a rubber tire junk yard, grab a shreader and shovel them into the back.

If you enjoyed reading about "new backstop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!