I don't get it... what's the point of this?

PDA

.cheese.
May 4, 2009, 10:16 PM
Why would you need (or rather I should say "want") to mount a cross-bow upper on an AR-15 lower? That's a waste of a perfectly good lower.

http://www.pse-archery.com/img/53:40_09_TAC_15_SOLO_1.jpg

Maybe I'm missing the point. One thing I couldn't help but notice was that the website is designed to give Sarah Brady a heart attack.

http://www.tac15.com/

And yes, this is gun related because the lower technically makes it a firearm as per ATF rules (maybe this product would change that?)

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't get it... what's the point of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Fresh
May 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
I think it's kind of cool. You can always switch it for a regular upper when you get tired of the bow.

tju1973
May 4, 2009, 10:23 PM
Well---

Not sure the price, but it is cool--

Not really practical, but pretty cool none the less--

:)

BhmBill
May 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
does it use a blank or something to draw back the bow?

danprkr
May 4, 2009, 10:25 PM
It's quiet, and it'll go through kevlar...

desidog
May 4, 2009, 10:28 PM
for $1299 it's laughable. well, regardless of money...still laughable.

10-Ring
May 4, 2009, 10:29 PM
Because you can! ;)

.cheese.
May 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
for $1299

+ provide your own lower.

I don't know. I somehow see it as a pointless creation. Cross-bows are fun - sure.... but wasting an AR lower for it isn't something I'd want to do. They could have just built it in such a way that the lower and upper are one piece, and therefore it isn't technically a firearm.

2RCO
May 4, 2009, 10:34 PM
I just forgot everything I thought I knew about Crossbows.

I am not sure why but I want one.

Someone found away to make you fill out a 4473 to buy a bow that's a bit crazy.

Ed Ames
May 4, 2009, 10:35 PM
Makes as much sense as half of what I see on AR's at the range.

Sort of like the muzzle loading uppers...why not?

Blackbeard
May 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
I think it's pretty cool. And you're not "wasting" your lower -- you can change the uppers back & forth. It'd be useful when you run out of that .223 you've been hoarding :-)

Hey - since the lower is a firearm, would this upper be considered a silencer?

Gamera
May 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
If I had tons of money laying around, I'd get one :)

.cheese.
May 4, 2009, 11:15 PM
I think it's pretty cool. And you're not "wasting" your lower -- you can change the uppers back & forth

True. I guess that's just me. With my ARs, once I've got it just the way I want it, it stays that way with the exception of cleaning.... but that's just me being obsessive in fairness.

Hey - since the lower is a firearm, would this upper be considered a silencer?

I too have to wonder how the ATF will treat it.

Dr. Fresh
May 4, 2009, 11:30 PM
I doubt it would be considered a silencer, since it isn't designed to reduce the noise of a gunshot.

It's no more a silencer than a .22 upper. .22 is quieter than .223.

Ed Ames
May 4, 2009, 11:39 PM
BATFE doesn't care about accessories like this. It isn't any different than any ofther non-firearm attachment (scope, muzzle loader upper, etc.).

.cheese. ... Isn't the point of an AR that you can push a couple of pins and swap the upper? There are only two ways I could justify an AR... to have one sweet (trigger, stock, etc) lower and a couple uppers or to to paint one bright colors and bother the traditionalists. :)

PT1911
May 4, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think it is cool and pretty mean looking as well... I would pick one up if I ran across one at about 1/4that price..

.cheese.
May 4, 2009, 11:52 PM
.cheese. ... Isn't the point of an AR that you can push a couple of pins and swap the upper? There are only two ways I could justify an AR... to have one sweet (trigger, stock, etc) lower and a couple uppers or to to paint one bright colors and bother the traditionalists.

I'm just the opposite. I have a lower for every upper.

dkk73
May 4, 2009, 11:55 PM
Interesting vid! It is worth all of the time and thought, and more, just to see the bit at the end of the video where they have the little animation of someone attaching a chainsaw to the Picatinny rail.

Priceless. :D Funniest thing I've seen on a gun site in months.

Plus, it's a pretty cool concept.

zoom6zoom
May 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
Well, once you can't get ammo for it anymore, you've got to do SOMETHING with that lower...

paintballdude902
May 5, 2009, 12:39 AM
nt a bad idea if you can use a cross bow for hunting

switch the upper and your set

PT1911
May 5, 2009, 12:42 AM
Totally want the chainsaw attachment... LMAO...

cross bow for hunting

I dunno about that.... with the AR lower, it may not "OFFICIALLY" be considered a cross bow as the lower must now be classified as a firearm...

hillbillyman
May 5, 2009, 01:17 AM
Really is a toy for the guy or gal that has everything ...

IMHO ...

Shear_stress
May 5, 2009, 01:37 AM
Why all the fuss? It's just a simple tool that helps patent attorneys make boat payments.

DoubleTapDrew
May 5, 2009, 01:38 AM
That looks totally pointless. That's like attaching a spork to a bowie knife. On the other hand, God bless them for trying and I hope it does well. If someone attaches a diaper changer to an AR I'll hope it does well (as long as it's safe, of course!). The second amendment isn't a fad or a cult it's a right.

PT1911
May 5, 2009, 01:40 AM
I think it is great... of course the price is crazy and I am sure the same can be said of the arrows that you must use. But, that said.. I thinkk it is pretty awesome.. sure.. no practical use.. but then again.. what is the practical use of a 50 BMG outside of military applications?

jerkface11
May 5, 2009, 01:54 AM
It's $1300 because it's a PSE. As for why anyone would want it why not? You get a crossbow with whatever trigger you want, whatever grip you want, and whatever stock you want. Not many crossbows do that.

Prince Yamato
May 5, 2009, 01:54 AM
It allows you to do things that other crossbows do not allow, such as "decock" without firing. It also allows you to have the bow "cocked and locked." I know nothing of crossbows, this is what I saw on a video about it once.

jojo200517
May 5, 2009, 02:02 AM
That looks totally pointless. That's like attaching a spork to a bowie knife. On the other hand, God bless them for trying and I hope it does well. If someone attaches a diaper changer to an AR I'll hope it does well (as long as it's safe, of course!). The second amendment isn't a fad or a cult it's a right.

I'll take one of those spork bowie knives please. :)

It's kinda goofy lookin but it might just catch on for the people that already pour way to much cash into ar's.

A diaper changer you say? Hope it is a good gas piston upper diaper changer else it might jam up with **** like dirty ar's are known to do. ;)

yongxingfreesty
May 5, 2009, 02:18 AM
***, is this single shot?

Claude Clay
May 5, 2009, 02:21 AM
at a mere $299 it is a gotta have. that other price is to confuse people.

flrfh213
May 5, 2009, 02:24 AM
do firearm laws apply? can it legaly be shot in city limits?

things that make you go hmmm..

jerkface11
May 5, 2009, 02:33 AM
I'm still waiting for the black powder upper to get released. No I'm not kidding about that.

Wildyams
May 5, 2009, 03:47 AM
it gives you something to do while you're waiting for your back ordered primers to show up I guess...

benEzra
May 5, 2009, 07:25 AM
Because it makes for a very, very good crossbow.

What other crossbow can give you that good a trigger and ergonomics? And the accuracy is quite good out to 100 yards or so.

flor1
May 5, 2009, 07:31 AM
Probably more accurate then average AR and cheaper to shoot.:neener:

moooose102
May 5, 2009, 07:42 AM
you would definitly keep the element of suprise, even after the inital shot. it seems way to pricey to go anywhere though. i am sure they will sell a few, but if it were reasonably priced, they would sell many more.

RyanM
May 5, 2009, 08:06 AM
What other crossbow can give you that good a trigger and ergonomics? And the accuracy is quite good out to 100 yards or so.

The trigger, definitely. Every European crossbow since medieval times has used an absolutely horrible linkage where the trigger just shoves the string out of a slot. People think AK-47 trigger slap is bad? Nearly any crossbow will have your trigger finger raw and bleeding inside of 5 shots. The price is a little ridiculous, though.

kanook
May 5, 2009, 08:15 AM
In some states, unless you are disabled, you can't use a crossbow to hunt with until modern gun season. Some people do hunt with a crossbow for more sport in the game. I agree that $1,299 is a bit steep, but if it were $400 or $500 (the cost of an average bow), Why Not? It will give you a chance to get some more miliage out of the AR.:D

Martyk
May 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
Perfect.. exactly what I've been looking for! My order's in!

.cheese.
May 5, 2009, 10:39 AM
Perfect.. exactly what I've been looking for! My order's in!

Seriously?

(of course if you're not, the always popular laugh at how gullible I am is about to come. Don't tell me it's written on the ceiling, I already checked.)

DeepSouth
May 5, 2009, 10:48 AM
Makes as much sense as half of what I see on AR's at the range.

Yup!!

DHJenkins
May 5, 2009, 10:50 AM
I like it.

It's not very useful and it's overpriced, but so is a Veyron.

Big44mag
May 5, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'd take one, little $$$ and the bolts aren't cheap at $90 per 1/2 dozen as well.

PT1911
May 5, 2009, 08:52 PM
from what I understand the arrows are 90 each!!!! but I guess I could be mistaken.

Acera
May 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
from what I understand the arrows are 90 each!!!! but I guess I could be mistaken.

Yes, the poster ahead of you has it correct.

For the price of the upper you could get a good can and a tax stamp, if allowed in you area.

I like the idea, but why does the complete cross bows that PSE sale cost 1/3 the price of that one??

Maybe some one else will do it for a reasonable price. I've got dozens of lowers stashed away and using one for that would be cool. Not cool at that price, but none the less cool.

Where is the Chinese knock offs when you need them.:neener:

PT1911
May 5, 2009, 09:09 PM
alright... my mistake.. I see the count now.. I think it would be awesome and would probably think seriously about picking one up at about half that price...

Big Daddy Grim
May 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
i don't get it either

ScareyH22A
May 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
That's one ultra suppressed assassin tool right there.

.cheese.
May 5, 2009, 09:23 PM
That's one ultra suppressed assassin tool right there.

That seems to be the vibe that the website was designed to give off.

Lou McGopher
May 5, 2009, 09:25 PM
But is it superior to the Kalashnikov crossbow???

:evil:

sbarkowski
May 5, 2009, 09:41 PM
Why is it so long? That thing is huge! Arn't regular cross bow bolts usually shorter? Is there some need to have it that big with such long arrows? Looks like you'll need a bipod just to hold it up.

Red Tornado
May 7, 2009, 04:55 PM
If you like crossbow hunting and have lowers available, why not? You have to use crossbows in firearms season anyway, so the 'technicality' of it being a firearm doesn't matter.

They're positioning this as an absolutely top end crossbow; more power, accuracy, quality, innovation, etc. With any firearm we all know you pay more for accuracy and quality. To everyone chiming in that they'd buy one for $299, well, I'd buy an Anschutz 1827 for $299, too, but they're $3000. Pony up if you want one! If (and I have no way of knowing) this is actually the best crossbow available, it may well be worth the money. The trigger, ergonomics, and let's face it, the cool factor, aren't available anywhere else. For crossbowers who want the top of the line, this may be what they've dreamed of. I know it's cooler than any crossbow I've seen.

Ultimately the market will decide if it lives or dies.
RT

LibShooter
May 7, 2009, 05:02 PM
"I'd take one, little $$$ and the bolts aren't cheap at $90 per 1/2 dozen as well."

Yes, but they are cheaper to reload than .223.

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't get it... what's the point of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!