Is this normal for a revolver?

PDA

Animal Mother
May 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
Over the weekend a good buddy of mine finally sold me a revolver of his. It's a Rossi 461 with a two inch barrel .357 . I've had a chance to shoot it at the range and it has shot well and has been accurate for me. Other than a few range sessions I don't think it has been shot much at all. Upon cleaning it up and examining it I noticed something that I had not seen in the few revolvers I've had the opportunity to closely examine. It appears that at the breech the barrel the rifling has been machined away. I've attached a picture to try to show how the rifling ends and what appears to be a very gradual taper begins a fraction of an inch from the breech end of the barrel.

Is this normal? Is this good, bad, or indifferent?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal for a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earplug
May 4, 2009, 11:39 PM
Normal part of revolvers. As nothing is in perfect alignment in this world, the forcing cone funnels the bullet from the cylinder charge holes into the barrel.

Confederate
May 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yes, though the workmanship seems a bit rough. If you're getting accuracy and the bullets aren't keyholing, you're doing fine. The distance between the cylinder and the forcing cone should be about .006 -/+.003. People used to make more of a fuss over B/C gap, but you don't see much of it anymore as few gun writers are really into revolvers. Although many people prefer .004, it seems that accuracy is best at .006.

Don't worry about the forcing cone. It's rough, but okay.

Indifferent
May 5, 2009, 02:16 AM
Is this normal? Is this good, bad, or indifferent?

You rang?

David E
May 5, 2009, 12:15 PM
As mentioned it is the "forcing cone" area of the barrel. All revolvers have them.

That one is among the roughest I've seen. But if it shoots well for you, then that's what counts.

ArmedBear
May 5, 2009, 12:42 PM
That is pretty rough.

I personally avoid Rossis, but that is because I don't trust that any given one I buy would work reliably.

If yours does work reliably, that's not really a problem.

Have you tested it in double action? I'd fire a good few cylinders through it, all DA, before I trusted it for self-defense.

BCRider
May 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
OK, I'm still pretty new to all this but the machining lines we can see inside the cone would suggest to me that it would be more prone to leading up. Would it not be worth the money to have a decent smith touch it up with a cone reamer? A smoother cone should shave less lead, no?

Vern Humphrey
May 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm still pretty new to all this but the machining lines we can see inside the cone would suggest to me that it would be more prone to leading up.
Ask the gun. Shoot it with cast bullets and see if it leads up. If it doesn't, and it shoots well, you've saved the cost of a gunsmith.

Pistol Toter
May 5, 2009, 03:32 PM
It is a mite rough. Looks like it is already leading some.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal for a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!