Which Knife Can I Take With Me?

PDA

Smith
May 5, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm going to travel to The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, and Russia this summer, but I know nothing of these countries' knife laws. Can anyone give a brief description of these countries' laws or direct me to a place where I could find them? Would my CRKT M16-10KZ be OK for all of those countries? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Smith

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Knife Can I Take With Me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
carsten1911
May 5, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Smith!

Wow, thats quite a lost of countries in good ole Europe you plan to visit!

Speaking for Germany:
Basically it is legal to carry any single-bladed knife....if you keep it out of your own and other peoples immediate reach, like in a backpack or suitcase.

If you plan to carry the knife at the ready (like clipped in your trouser pockets, in a sheath or anything similar) your knife should not be:
1. 12 cm or longer (thats roughly 4.5 inches) for a fixed knife or a two-hand-opening folder
2. a one-handed opening folder (which your model in question is, to my knowledge)

Knife laws are enforced differently in the German countries, eg. in Bavaria you can usually get away with a one-hand-folder at the ready (if you find a plausible, "socially accepted reason" for having it...like cutting sausage and bred, cutting walking sticks for your kids and so on. Selfdefense is not a socially accepted reason!)
But since this is also dependent on the type of police (Federal police vs. stat police) I would not push my luck on the "reason for carrying-debate", especially not speaking the language.

So a two-handed folder or shorter fixed blade is my advice for a Germany trip.

Netherlands police to my knowledge has pretty much taken up the habit of confiscating nice folders from all sorts of foreigners...and laws be damned!
"File a complaint and stay for months to wait for the outcome or gimme your knife and get outta here!!"

The other countries hopefully have own "representatives" in here to chime in...my info would be just too vagues.

Best regards

Carsten

Al Thompson
May 5, 2009, 10:30 AM
I've lived in Germany (not too far from Carsten) and had alot of contact with the police. For the most part, "by the book" fits those guys.

I would not take any (!!) kind of tactical knife. IMHO, a good SAK (think they have a locking blade version) would do great and if your traveling in a less secure place than Western Europe, go to a grocery store and buy a medium sized butcher knife for slicing sausage and bread. :evil: ;)

AirForceShooter
May 5, 2009, 10:30 AM
One really nice trip.
What ever knife you bring make it small and cheap.

There's a good chance some LEO is going to grab it assuming it makes the trip in your luggage.

AFS

Smith
May 5, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the good advice so far, everyone! My trip is going to be a cruise, so I won't have to go through the customs of all those countries, luckily. So in Germany, a one-handed opener is not legal without a good reason, but a short fixed-bade knife is?

AirForceShooter
May 5, 2009, 11:22 AM
On a cruise. You're probably not even getting a knife on the ship. Additionally you'll be scanned after every trip ashore.
I just got off 10 days on a ship you couldn't get a metal pencil through .

AFS

Carl Levitian
May 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
Having been to a few of those countries you mention, and on a cruise, I'd very strongly advise you not to take any knife short of a sak classic.

Most of the cruise lines are phobic about knives, and my better half and I got away with a classic in daypack stuff. She stashed hers in her make-up kit, where it must have got lost among the tubes of lipstick and mirror and stuff. My tiny sak got lost in the little personal Altoids can first aid kit I have in my day pack I carry when traveling. Once when coming back aboard, it was seen, but I explained the sissors and tweezers were part of the first aid stuff, and they let it past.

Any sort of tactical knife is not making it past the first boarding.

Learn knapping. The bottom of a beer bottle makes a wicked substitute for obsidian, and if you find a beer bottle and have a nail, you can make a heck of a knife in about 15 minutes.

If going without a knife really bugs you, just buy a cheap small pocket knife at each port of call, and toss it or give it away when you go back to the ship. If you're wanting something for self defense, carry a stout blackthorn stick and a good metal pen. Niether of these got a second look where ever I went, either with arline security or ship screening. If you absolutly have to have your own knife, make it something so tiny, it gets lost among other stuff in a small kit. like a classic.

rcmodel
May 5, 2009, 04:32 PM
Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, and RussiaIf it was me going there, I'd take a small SAK with the sharp blades broke off and the corkscrew dulled on the end!

rc

Smith
May 5, 2009, 07:49 PM
On a cruise. You're probably not even getting a knife on the ship. Additionally you'll be scanned after every trip ashore.
I just got off 10 days on a ship you couldn't get a metal pencil through .

Wow, I didn't realize things had become so strict. About five years ago I never had any problem getting a 3.5 inch folder on and off the ship several times. Looks like I may end up stuck with nothing more than a sturdy, metal pen...

carsten1911
May 6, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hi Smith,

"So in Germany, a one-handed opener is not legal without a good reason, but a short fixed-bade knife is?"

You got this absolutely right!
And please dont ask about logic....remember:
Laws are made by politicians, whose view of reality is usually summed up in this icon: :confused:

Carsten

Speedo66
May 8, 2009, 06:08 PM
Very strange about the one handed openers in Germany.

When I was there last they were selling automatic (switchblade) knives in the shops.

Brian Dale
May 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
No locking folders in Denmark. A man whom I know had a simple, liner lock style folder in his checked luggage when he changed planes there. They didn't simply take it away; they called the police, who told him that locking pocket knives were completely forbidden and that he could go to jail there for possessing one.

I can't guess whether they'd freak out over an Opinel or not.

Also, even if you're not going through Customs, I can't guess whether you'll be subject to certain procedures and regulations as you visit various ports along your way.

Black Toe Knives
May 19, 2009, 10:28 PM
Save you money till you get there. Find a Opinel or Barrel style knife. It look more like a tool than a knife. They don't look tactical. No one will ever give it a second look.

leadcounsel
May 20, 2009, 04:46 PM
as far as a knife, the other posters have given good advice.

one other thought is to get a plastic defense knife which will pass detection. there are plastic knives which hold an edge and are very strong.

I CANNOT GUARANTEE THE LEGALITY OF THIS.

for defense consider a nice oak walking stick. they can be had for about $50 and will never be questioned.

DAVIDSDIVAD
May 20, 2009, 05:09 PM
Honestly, when I went to Russia, I didn't bother with any knives.
I carried the 4 oz Saber Red model (read: big ass pepper spray.)

Here's what Max Popenker told me: Automatic knives are Ok as long as blade is shorter than 90mm / 3.5"

Manually opening knives are subject to some complicated limitations, but i know for sure that kniwes such as Spyderco "Police" are considered "household utility knives", not regulated, and sold freely to everyone over 18.

He also told me that my CRKT M21-02 would be fine.

Honestly though, I think the laws in Russia are written by each cop, right there on the spot.

Try to blend in and avoid the police (it was tough for me to do, being the biggest Mexican those people had ever seen! :D Being with my russian girlfriend the entire time helped, though.)

Black Toe Knives
May 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
The plastic defense knives are illegal in the UK. I am not sure about the rest of the European countries. But In the UK I know they are.

carsten1911
May 25, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Speedo66,

the inconsistency you feel comes from the laws (see my comment in post #10...):
You can BUY lots of things, but you are not allowed to carry at the ready!

You could buy a 6" dagger and e.g. have it in your backpack or suitcase, that would be legal. Same goes for automatic knifes under 8.5 cm blade length.
Them fools even defined what "not at the ready" means. It means that it takes 3 or more hand movements to get the knife in your hands.
Example:
1. open the backpack zipper,
2. open the extra case you put your combat dagger in to pack it according to the law,
3. take the dagger out of its real sheath...

WELL THOUGTH OUT, IMPRESSIVE CLEVERNESS, ...the beginning of the end of all violence in the streets, aint it?

Greetings from across the pond

Carsten

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Knife Can I Take With Me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!