Steyr SSS 69

PDA

otblue
May 5, 2009, 07:37 AM
Haven't taken much notice of the ones I've handled but have been offered an unbeatable deal on a new one. So it's on the way and I was checking out stuff like mounts to go with it. Seems the dovetail is propriety and not much fits it, Steyr, Talley and a couple of high end and expensive European brands. Hate to spend half as much for the latter mounts than I did for the rifle.

What is special about the dovetail (17mm I think) that requires these specific mounts rather than perhaps a modified Tikka or similar dovetail mount.

Haven't got a rifle to see for myself yet so any advice/suggestions appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr SSS 69" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DRYHUMOR
May 5, 2009, 05:25 PM
I have Talley mounts/rings on an SSG 69. Very solid and worth the money. Seems a bit hard to find the 30mm Steyr rings for these rifles, and when you do, they cost an arm and a leg. Just like the magazines.

Used to be the 5 rd mags were 40 to 50 bucks. I have seen them recently for over 125.00. The 10 rounders, I've seen for 250.00. If you get the rifle, always be on the lookout for magazines, buy em when you see em- at a fair price.

I use Talley's on virtually all of my hunting rifles. The customer service is excellent. If I need more screws, I just call, and they are on their way- no charge.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr SSS 69" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!