CBS has joined ABC's war on us

PDA

chemist308
May 5, 2009, 07:58 AM
Many of you know that CBS's 60 Minutes did an unfavorable and biased piece on us. It was hashed out in the General Section, but there was no action plan to come out of it, and that is the purpose of this separate thread.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, read about it here: 60 Minutes on gun control (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769.shtml)

So, we need to at least give the same response that was given to ABC.

You can post your comments on how disgusting this show was right on the CBS link above. Right now there are several folks there patting CBS on the back, in addition to many who have already posted in favor of the 2A. They need more voices of discontent there immediately.

Does anyone have a list of the sponsors who advertised on this show?

Who manages the editors of that show? That individual needs to hear from us as well.

We also need fresh ideas here. What little response CBS was given didn't stop this, so we need to keep fighting this battle incorporating new and innovative ways. Lets get a multi-point action plan together, quickly. We're behind the eight ball on this one...

If you enjoyed reading about "CBS has joined ABC's war on us" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ilbob
May 5, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't think you can attack biased "news" shows by going after the advertisers.

The fact is that the media is often biased one way or the other. Its always been that way. It just happens that right now much of the print and TV media is far left in its political orientation. and there is little balance like there generally was in the past. Thats part of the reason they are becoming more and more insignificant.

Does anyone take CBS news seriously anymore? After the fake Bush NG papers? The desperation hiring of someone like Katie Couric whose biggest story of the previous decade was her colonoscopy? They are doing to themselves what they so richly deserve. I am not sure there is any need for us to do anything, and it might even be counterproductive if we tried.

DesmoDucRob
May 5, 2009, 11:15 AM
I can't believe no network has displayed a counter to these biased pieces of "journalism." It would be sure to get astonishing ratings, regardless of the position of the network, or viewers. The Pro-2A crowd would be sure not to miss it, and the "anti's" would certainly contribute to the ratings (in the same way that so many here oppose the broadcast, but are intimately familliar with it's content).

Oh well... actions speak louder than words, and I'll bet that the recent surge in firearm sales is not the result of a mad rush of purchases by die-hard 2A proponents. Sounds to me like the media has a lot of Kool-aid left over.

Old Fuff
May 5, 2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think you can attack biased "news" shows by going after the advertisers.

I disagree. With the economy being what it is, there is another war going on as newspapers and television (not to mention the Internet) fight for ever decreasing asvertisers dollars.

On the other hand, the advertisers are spending bucks to attract buyers of whatever product or service they are peddling. They want readers or viewers who are in a happy frame of mind, and don't blame them for what the program producer did. So while a handfull of protests may be srugged off, a flood won't be.

Appealing to left-wing media's advertisers won't change their views, but it will make them more careful in the way they present it.

X-Rap
May 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
A major network that shows an anti gun bias is no surprise. In my lifetime I can't remember a positive portrail of guns or gun owners comming from the media.
If any positive info is offered it is countered by so much balance that the positive aspect is neutralized.

Art Eatman
May 5, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have read that one snail mail letter is taken to represent 300 other people with the same views.

So, if you hope to have any effect, the advertisers can be more readily affected than the networks.

Squeaky Duck
May 5, 2009, 03:53 PM
That's true about putting a stamp on a letter and mailing it snail mail. I do that when I have an issue with a business and it gets results every time. Should be no different here.

KBintheSLC
May 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
So, if you hope to have any effect, the advertisers can be more readily affected than the networks.

This is true Art... In our response to ABC's attacks many of us wrote to the sponsors to inform them that they are now part of a massive boycott as a result of their support of ABC.

I received a personal response from almost all of them regarding my letter. They appeared genuinely concerned and promised to share it with the top executives.

mljdeckard
May 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
I agree. Big industry of every kind wants to project an image of being larger than life, stable, dependable, so big they can be taken for granted. But the truth is, they have balance sheets, shareholders, and a bad economy. The smart ones are learning fast, consumers are more able to find out information and communicate than ever before. Especially those of us who have recently become more vocal, who realized that it just takes a minute to crank out a letter or two, represent a demographic of "people who have started to care" that these companies didn't have to worry about before.

KBintheSLC
May 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yes. Television media has been struggling to fill ad space in an increasingly overpriced and highly competitive market. They are losing piles of business to better priced web ad space. Lets make sure that the sponsors know they are wasting their money with these biased major networks, and really kick them where it counts.

If you enjoyed reading about "CBS has joined ABC's war on us" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!