Flyfishing............

PDA

NobleSniper
May 6, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hello, bought a fly rod a reel out of curiosity. Have always thought it looked enjoyable. But to be honest I know there is a certain way to set a fly rod up and I do not know the proper method. SOmeone care to educate me about how to set it up??? Thanks, Craig

If you enjoyed reading about "Flyfishing............" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 6, 2009, 12:03 PM
http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?dir_id=758&shop_id=1446

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=120&catalogId=1&storeId=1&langId=-1&nav=gnro

Both Orvis and LLBean have some great books, and DVDs that will assist you.
The best thing of course would be to find a seasoned fly fisherperson and get some hands on lessons.

Many mom and pop stores, that carry flyfishing gear, also have clinics, where they teach folks everything from the basics, to more advanced, to fly tying.

Some colleges even offer some courses now.

Gun Related-

Flyfishing for bream, and busting doves on the same day, is highly recommended.
So is busting quail and flyfishing for trout.
Then there is taking bass with popping bugs, and shooting a few rounds of skeet.

Fish and bird are some great eating together.

Note: Be sure to marinate the skeet birds really well, while you don't have to concern yourself with pellets in the meat...
Skeet birds are known to be tough critters to fell and get prepped right for cooking.
I recommend "dusting" skeet birds...
Though there is nothing wrong with "smoking" them.

Suggestion: Do not take your new Winston 5 weight, down to the family property , out next to the private range and tie red yarn to show off the new set up to Ma & Pa.

Geese, will take a shine to that yarn, and will get Ma & Pa so tickled...
Oh, and you don't have to tell Winston you were fly fishing for geese , when you send it back in broken.

[New Doctors, ain't always the brightest folks]

Bula
May 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
Basic setup will be backing first, then probably a weight forward floating line, then I tie a clear mono loop (if it isn't already looped) then a tapered leader, then your fly. I'd really recommend beginner books by Tom Rosenbaeur of the book "Prospecting for Trout" by Lefty Kreh. There is much to learn, too much to reply in a single forum post. good luck

sumpnz
May 6, 2009, 05:06 PM
For fly fishing, how to set up your reel is totally dependant on the type of fishing you want to do (small streams, large rivers, lakes, salt water beaches), the type of fish you want to catch (typical smaller trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, tapon, marlin, sharks), and whether you'll be mostly fishing dry flies or wet flies. More info needed for this.

To keep it gun related, I've been trying to figure out the best way to CCW while river fishing. I havne't tried it yet, but it seems like a shoulder holster would work the best. Anything at the waist will be impossible to access while wearing waders.

sm
May 6, 2009, 09:11 PM
To keep it gun related, I've been trying to figure out the best way to CCW while river fishing.

I recommend lanyard, period.

Shoulder holster works fine.
I have used inside jacket / PFD (personal flotation device) methods as well.

Shoulder holster keeps the gun on you, in case you take a spill. Some "waters" (rivers, streams, even small lakes and ponds ) have more hazards than others.

Rivers and streams, for instance can have current, and some have rapids, and drop offs.
Ponds, small lakes, and reseviours might have bar ditches, hidden stumps, and the like.

One can take a holster, even a Uncle Mikes, and use with an inside jacket pocket.
If you are good with needle and thread/sewing/ you can make an inside pocket for PFDs, fly fishing vests, etc.

One has to try for themselves, and see what fits them and where they fish.
Keep in mind, times of the year as well.

Some have shared, these undershirts with pockets ( I just had a brain fade on names), work just fine, in the hot summer time, and wearing a light button type shirt.
I have not tried this.

I have, just worn the gun around my neck, using the lanyard, as I just showed up, not planning on fishing, and had the gun under my shirt.

The last time, I did not have a gun with lanyard. So I used electrical tape, and cord to make one for a Kel-Tec P-11, then used some paracord, and wore this around my neck.

Do check regulations where you fish, as some areas are not gun friendly, or allow guns in certain places.

Which is stupid, as any criminal knows these places and folks fishing are just prey.

bad_aim_billy
May 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
I ghetto-flyfish out here, and still catch fish. No fancy leaders for me, just sinking line, 4 & 6 pound mono for leader & tippet, and dual nymphs (preferably beadheads.) For midwest bass and panfish, a floating line with poppers or black ants would be good.

As far as CC goes, I don't do it out here, as the rivers are too swift-- too much chance of swamping my waders, which I've already done once this year lol...

NobleSniper
May 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks ;)

danweasel
May 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
A guy I work with carries his 12G pistol grip shotty in a tac sling while fishing. I don't like to but I leave mine on the bank and carry my 9mm sometimes as a noisemaker. Dumb bears...

Oh yeah, and I just started flyfishing myself last year. Tough stuff.

JustsayMo
May 18, 2009, 10:16 PM
Caught this feller fishing from shore a week ago.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/may9trout.jpg

5 wt, floating line, Carey Special variation, moderate speed retrieve 1-3' deep. The ice had just cleared off the lake and they was hungry. Caught a bunch of his kin but the big one spit my fly after taking it for a run.

I wasn't wearing my waders so I was carrying my Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. When wading in Alaska I like the Marlin Guide Gun ;)

DRYHUMOR
May 19, 2009, 05:56 AM
All in the wrist.

Just like shooting a 1911, all in the wrist.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flyfishing............" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!