walther pps

PDA

Madjohn
May 6, 2009, 11:50 PM
ive heard good and bad things about this gun. mostly that its finicky about the ammo it shoots. i had a post up about the ppk/s but i decided last moment id rather carry a 9mm with more available ammunition.
is it
reliable
tough
accurate for defense/range time

If you enjoyed reading about "walther pps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mbr
May 7, 2009, 07:12 AM
I've only had mine a few weeks, and only have a couple of hundred rounds through it, but so far so good. No reliability problems. I haven't heard of many either. There does seem to be a problem with dented brass on some, but not a problem unless you reload. I believe that is more with the .40's than the 9's, too. It is accurate as any other good self-defense pistol.

tackleberi
May 7, 2009, 09:40 AM
Mine was a train wreck. It was a 9mm, AB55XX serial number, grey frame. In the first 300 rounds of mixed ammo, multiple FTF/FTEs. On several occasions, the trigger would fail to reset (stuck in the rear position) and the slide would have to be energetically racked several times to get the trigger to reset. I sent it back to Walther, who told me the gun had had a major failure, and they would only send a replacement...the gun was not repairable.

Immediately sold the replacement. It's too bad, because it was EASY to carry, and ergonomically wonderful. I actually liked the magazine release and removable backstrap. I couldn't trust it, however.

1-cavediver
May 7, 2009, 09:45 AM
I've had my Walther PPS 9mm since early January of this year and couldn't be happier with it. It functions perfectly with any and all combinations of ammunition, is thin, light, very accurate and easy to conceal carry. The fit and finish is top shelf, just what you would expect from a quality German firearm.

searcher451
May 7, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've got two PPS Walthers: one in 9mm and one in .40S&W. Both are terrific guns. The PPS is a superb piece of crafstmanship that's accurate and reliable and easy to conceal and carry. The .40 is a bit snappy for my tastes, but it's a solid performer and packs a punch. I'd easily recommend the PPS to anyone who is serious about carrying a quality pistol.

kentucky_smith
May 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
Mine works great. Easy to shoot well. I found myself shooting it better than my bhp practical when I had them both out.

bigfatdave
May 7, 2009, 04:20 PM
finicky about the ammo it shootsMine didn't like Brown Bear steel-case, it was occasionally failing to extract/eject.
Other than that, my PPS (9mm) eats any brass ammo happily, and I've had some chances to try oddball brands lately, as that's all I can find.

Immediately sold the replacementWhy in the world would you do that? Sometimes lemons make it through QC, it is wrong, and it shouldn't happen ... but how does one defective PPS mean that another is defective as well?
It isn't like the first one had a design flaw, if Walther/S&W claims a "major failure" and "non-repairable", I don't think that implies a flaw inherent to every PPS. For that matter, was it a first edition? I understand there has been some improvement in the manufacturing process since the F.E. guns were shipped out.

WRGADog
May 7, 2009, 10:11 PM
I have put approximately 600 rounds of various types of range and personal defense ammo through the PPS with no problems whatsoever. She eats whatever you feed through her without failure.

patrick526
May 8, 2009, 12:21 AM
Got mine since March. Love it.

bstump2
May 8, 2009, 03:44 PM
Have 2 PPS AB66XX and AC99XX they both have eaten ALL ammo including the much maligned Wolf (polymer coated) without a hiccup. I like these pistols as much as my PP and PPK/S which are both excellent.

If you enjoyed reading about "walther pps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!