Savage/Enfield .303

PDA

BENELLIMONTE
May 8, 2009, 10:33 AM
Anybody own & shoot a Savage/Enfield. I have a chance to
buy one for 190.00 in 70% condition. Let me know your opinion.

Thank you,
"MONTE"

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage/Enfield .303" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HoosierQ
May 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'd buy that I think.

Sunray
May 9, 2009, 02:30 AM
"...have a chance to buy one for 190.00..." Excellent price if it's in military configuration AND the headspace is ok. Savage made No. 4's are good rifles, but get proof of good headspace. Any Lee-Enfield needs the headspace checked with proper guages.
Had a Savage made rifle on my MIU when I commanded a CF Army Cadet Corps, long ago. When the Savage contract ended, all the rifles, parts and machinery was sent to the Canadian Arsenals - Longbranch Plant and subsequently were issued to CF Units.

2RCO
May 9, 2009, 02:34 AM
I'd buy it for that!

KenWP
May 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
I just sold a shot out #4 and I cleared a $100 on the deal haveing had it consigned. I had one of the top steel shooters in the country try and sight it in and it spread lead all over the target so if it shoots its worth a couple of hundred easy.

garrettedwards777
May 26, 2009, 09:23 PM
so its a savage/enfeild sorry i have never heard of it but would really like to know more see my father passed 5 months ago and was left a mk5 jungle carbine and a lithgow sht*111 1918 two pretty good rifles i think. always have been a fan on england's bolt action rifles.is yours a new rifle ??

Sunray
May 31, 2009, 02:42 AM
"...it spread lead all over the target..." Likely the wrong bullet diameter for the barrel or an oversized barrel. You have to slug the barrel on any Lee-Enfield. They can measure between .311" and .315" and still be considered OK. Over .315" the barrel is shot out. Most factory hunting ammo uses a .311" or .312" bullet. Won't shoot well out of a .314" barrel.
"...never heard of it..." Savage made No. 4 Rifles and No. 4 Mk I and Mk. I* rifles under contract for the Biritish until 1943 or '44, as I recall. When the contract ended, all the finished rifles, parts and machinery got sent to Canadian Arsenals, Longbranch plant, in what is now Mississauga, Ontario. A suburb of Toronto. It's why you don't see any Savage made U.S. military firearms of W.W. II vintage.
Savage made No. 4's, in decent condition, command a premium, Stateside. Silly idea that they're somehow made better. Nobody bombing the plant has some to do with it, but nobody bombed the Longbranch plant either. The best No. 4's ever made were post war Longbranch rifles.
Had a Savage made No. 4 Mk I* rifle on my MIU when I commanded a CF Army Cadet Corps, long ago. No difference between it and the Longbranch made rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage/Enfield .303" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!