best 204 ruger brass for the money?

PDA

1858rem
May 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
needing to order up some new 204 brass (not easily found lying on the ground:rolleyes:) and would like to know what has worked the best for you guys? currently using remington brass but i was wondering if the hornady or federal or any others were better?

If you enjoyed reading about "best 204 ruger brass for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1858rem
May 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
20 bucks/50 is about as expensive as i care to get. would like to try and shrink my avg 7/8"@100yd groups a little more.

edelbrock
May 9, 2009, 01:21 PM
I would say try some Hornady. If you want once fired Hornady you can find it here from time to time for $19/100. http://oncefiredbrass.com/hornady204ruger.aspx (although it is currently out of stock). New Hornady usually runs about $20 - $25 for 50.

45ACPUSER
May 9, 2009, 09:22 PM
WW cheapest and it is pretty uniform brass.

loadedround
May 10, 2009, 11:55 AM
I bought a Ruger 1B in 204 Ruger when that caliber first came out and bought two boxs of Hornady factory ammo to try it out. Loved the way the empties reloaded and have been using Hornady 204 cases ever since. Hornady does make good brass. :)

bunnielab
May 10, 2009, 11:36 PM
I have found that it is almost as cheap to buy Hornady factory ammo for the brass. The stuff is pretty good ammo to begin with and my brass is on load #5 with only one trimming needed and no signs of weakness yet.

1858rem
May 11, 2009, 12:00 AM
ok so when do you know you need to stop using rifle brass? i had a poor experience with overusing pistol brass and dont want the same fate for this rifle.....i load 26.5g RL-15 and a 40g vmax, i have three empty boxes of a hundred and half a box of 250 32g left.....so about 425 loads on 80 brass all is currently loaded ammo so about 345 shots fired and i actually only keep using the 14 that fit in my ammo pouch and occasionally shoot off a box or two of 20 to circulate the brass a little but not much.

so..... what is the absolute max number of loadings you would go to on each brass?

bunnielab
May 11, 2009, 12:56 AM
I have no idea. I asked and was told to make a feeler and check the inside of the case for a wear ring. I also check the the length of the brass after each loading to see if it is growing any.

I use a lee neck sizer so I know at some point I will have to set the shoulder back but for now my dummies still chamber without effort so I will burn that bridge when I come to it.

I am still trying to figure out the ins and outs of rifle loading but I have had some encouraging results thus far. These are 5 shot groups at 100y.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9909/target1.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3356/target2z.jpg

1858rem
May 11, 2009, 11:41 AM
would you mind sharing load info please bunnielab? the bottom group is pretty typical for me just a bit more widespread, ill post a few pics. how ofter can you shoot like that, bipod/sandbags?.....wow!

i FL size though btw.

Hesenwine
May 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
When I first got my .204 (H&R Varmint), I bought 3-4 boxes of Hornady 32 gr. V-Max factory fodder for the brass.

My gun didn't seem to care for the 32 gr. very much.

I then bought some Rem. brass and Berger 32 and 40 gr. bullets. The gun likes the 40's a lot!

Just a week or so ago, I managed to pay too much for Hornady's box of 50 cases and prepped them but haven't shot it yet. The Hornady seems "sturdier" than the Rem. and will likely outlast it over the long haul.

bunnielab
May 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
I use the starting load of H335. I dont remember the exact grains and am away from my notes but its the load out of the Hogden book. The bullets are 32g V-Max set to the min OAL. The gun is a Rem 700 VLS.

My chrono died so I haven't been able to work up loads. But honestly, with the results I am getting I'm not going to mess with much.

I confess to being a pretty bad shot. I am cross eye dominant so I either shoot offhanded or with my off eye, neither of which feel comfortable yet. I am slowly trying to learn to shoot with my off hand. I shoot off of bags but they are no proper shooting bags and it is hard to keep the rifle stable between shoots. I am going to buy or make some better ones before I try again.

I have put maybe 300r though the rifle before with mixed results so this time I loaded 100r and was really trying to take my time and pay more attention to form and trigger control. I was getting some pretty decent results but never better then 3/4" and most groups were closer to 1".

I was getting frustrated and instead of letting the barrel cool I just started ripping out shots. The top group was about my 4th group without much waiting between. I think that group was shot in about 30 seconds. I saw what I had done and tried to do it again. The bottom group was the result. I shot the first 4 into the clump and then threw the 5th shot.

I was out of ammo at this point and the barrel was too hot to touch so I was done for the day. I haven't had a chance to load and shoot anymore.

Needless to say I am pleased as punch with this rifle and am really looking forward to playing around with it some more.

If you enjoyed reading about "best 204 ruger brass for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!