Beautiful nickel plated CZ 83.

PDA

emilianoksa
May 9, 2009, 09:42 PM
They have one or two in a local gunshop.

First time I've ever seen the nickel one, and I have been tempted to buy it.

What stops me is the worry about how well that nickel plating will stand up to cleaning chemicals. I read somewhere that if you get a small crack near the end of the slide, stuff can get in and rot it from the inside.

Am I being unnecessarily nervous about this?

After all, nickel plated guns have always had a popular following.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beautiful nickel plated CZ 83." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
outerlimit
May 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
I find they go well with my pimp hat and pimp boots.
It's a durable finish, but I prefer hard chrome.

bannockburn
May 10, 2009, 12:37 AM
emilianoksa

Over the years, I've avoided using any sort of copper solvent (like Hoppes No. 9), on nickel plated guns. Many guns are first plated with copper as nickel plate may not bond with the steel surface. As such using a copper solvent may cause the base coating of copper to loosen, taking the top plating of nickel with it. To polish the nickel plate I use Flitz Metal Polish and Fiberglass Cleaner.

emilianoksa
May 10, 2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the advice.

rslpilot
May 10, 2009, 02:17 AM
I've got a nickle plated cz 83, cool little gun. So far so good with the finish, but I try to keep the harsh bore cleaners inside the barrel only. I lightly mist the outside of the gun with CLP to help protect the finish prior to cleaning the bore, and quickly wipe off any spills. I, then, clean the gun top to bottom w/ CLP. There are some internal wear areas where the nickle is ever so slightly peeling--not sure if this is normal or not.

CPshooter
May 10, 2009, 04:13 AM
I've never been a fan of nickel-plating. Hard chrome is much better IMHO. Robar's NP3 is an excellent alternative if you like the matte stainless look.

I'd buy a black gun and have it re-finished in HC before I buy a nickel-plated gun. Nothing is wrong with nickel if you take good care of it, but I'd rather not worry about it and avoid it in the first place.

krs
May 10, 2009, 08:59 AM
bannockburn has given a good concise description of the possible problem and of the best preventative practice.

Nickel plating itself is a very durable finish. There are examples of well preserved nickel jobs that still look near new after more than 100 years of presence.

I used the word 'presence' instead of the word 'usage' deliberately.

If you like a silver color hard chroming is the toughest finish available. But if you like a BEAUTIFUL silver finish then nickel is your only choice. Nothing else has such lasting polish, and there's a difficult to define 'warmth' to a nickeled gun that no SS or HC can bring. Electroless nickel can be even more beautiful although seldom as high gloss.

EAJ
May 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have two CZ 83's; nickel and blue. I use BF CLP and BF Powder Blast on mine. Both work well on the frame/barrel however BF Powder Blast will mess up the OE plastic grips. I always remove the grips when cleaning the pistols.

http://fishkind.com/collection/images/cz83_01.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Beautiful nickel plated CZ 83." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!