New Taurus 85 UL - Disappointed

PDA

KBintheSLC
May 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
I just took my new Taurus model 85 .38 spcl out for its virgin run and I had some major problems with it.

1-The chamber to the left of the X mark on the cylinder is not bored deep enough, so the case sticks out in the back of the cylinder and causes binding.

2-The gun was severely out of time sync. Even when I left the bad cylinder empty, the gun would at times not strike the primer in the center... sometimes it would hit all the way out on the side of the primer causing a failure to fire. This happened 1 or 2 times per cylinder in SA fire, and 3 or 4 times per cylinder in DA fire.

3-As a result of the poor timing, the gun would not lock up properly as the trigger is depressed. It appears that the spring is very weak on the cylinder lock and it can pass right by the lock hole without engaging it.

As you can imagine, it was a very disappointing range session. I know I can send the gun back to Taurus, but I have a heck of a time trusting a carry gun after it has failed me. And this one failed miserably... over 50% of the time. :barf:

On the bright side, when the gun did fire it was very accurate... amazing for a 2" snubbie. I love the ergonomics, the weight, and overall feel of the gun. :) I want to like it, but I don't know if I can.

My question is, do you guys think Taurus can make this specimen 100%? If it is not 100%, I have no use for it and will trade it back to my dealer for a Smith. I was going to get a Smith in the first place, but I thought I would give the Taurus a try... my dad has 2 of them and they have both been flawless.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Taurus 85 UL - Disappointed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hunter25
May 10, 2009, 01:00 AM
I have had a raging bull 454 for many years with no problems so have never had to use their customer service but from what I have read on other forums it is very bad.

Ruodo
May 10, 2009, 03:11 AM
I'm about to buy a 9 shot taurus .22 and am afraid of something like this happening. Looks like so many get lemons right out of the box.

halfded
May 10, 2009, 10:15 AM
My UL was screwed up from the factory too, there's a thread about it somewhere.. The star was machined improperly allowing a LOT of side to side wiggle and bullet shaving. Sent it to the factory and 2 months later I get my gun back with a whole new cylinder assembly and the timing has been worked over. The gun is TIGHT! The cylinder has that welded feel under lockup... and when I tried to open the cylinder. Long story short, I had to trim some springs and break in the entire gun over again it felt like. Gun works great now though. I won't even get into the fact that my gun came back with all kinds of scratches in the finish and greasy fingerprints everywhere. Somehow there was even more factory gunk-grease in it. I think the best part of Taurus' customer service though is when you call them. They put you on hold listening to lee greenwood and the national anthem and all that; then the operator sounds like a cuban or something straight off the boat. He barely understands me, I barely understand him. When I called back to complain about them trashing my revolver, they simply asked if I would like to send it in for repairs... yeah right. Fixed everything mechanically myself, got it working good; spent another 8-10 hours with some of Mother's fine products and have a beautifully shiny, polished SS revolver.

Taurus makes a good revolver... if you get a good one. The older ones seem more quality built. I have one from 1997 that has been flawless the whole time I've owned it. Looks almost brand new.

Just thought I'd toss in my experience with them.

Vonderek
May 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
Sent a revolver in that would not ignite primers on a variety of ammo. It took about a month for the repair but it works fine now. As I recall, I had to pay Fedex overnight shipping to the factory and they paid for the return.

Old Fuff
May 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Obviously the revolver in the opening post is a lemon. It shouldn’t have happened but it did. Over time I owned several Taurus revolvers, and (knock on wood) I have yet to have this happen to me.

I make a point of not buying new guns when a buying frenzy is going on. I learned long ago that when manufacturers are cranking out guns in a frantic attempt to keep up with massively expanded demand, overall quality slips, and it doesn’t matter what manufacturer you’re talking about, so switching brands may not be the answer.

Quality used guns are sometimes far from perfect, but in times like we are going through now I believe the risk is lower. I would recommend a good, used S&W J-frame, not because I think it is better then the Taurus, but because the older guns tended to be higher quality in the first place, and when there is a problem S&W’s world-class repair department will fix it quickly, and do so on their dime – including shipping costs. The fact that it’s used or older makes no difference so long as it’s new enough so that they still have parts.

If you still decide to buy a new gun, look it over very carefully before you make the purchase.

One of these days the frenzy will be over and you can ignore this advise if you want to. ;)

MCgunner
May 10, 2009, 11:45 AM
Mine always goes bang, the 85UL and the two 66s. Great guns IMHO. If yours is mal-timed, send it back and have 'em fix it.

Taurus 617 CCW
May 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
I've had to use their warranty repair service twice in the three Tauruses I've owned. I also just repaired a Taurus Judge for a guy last week. Here's the guns I owned in the past:

Taurus 617 DAO (sent in for broken hand)
Taurus 85 (Great gun, no problems, was an older one)
Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 (Firing pin lock broke off and fell into the firing pin channel causing light strikes on the rounds. Not cool since this was my wife's only defense gun!)

I'm not bashing Taurus but it seems as of late their quality control has been slipping a little. They made good on their warranty promise but each time it was 8 weeks or longer.

KBintheSLC
May 10, 2009, 12:39 PM
If you still decide to buy a new gun, look it over very carefully before you make the purchase.

Its amazing that even with a thorough pre-purchase inspection, this one slipped through the cracks. I checked lock up on all 5 cylinders, timing, alignment, cylinder gap. Everything checked out... until I put ammo in it at the range... the first three trigger pulls resulted in the gut wrenching "click" sound. It sucks that you can't exchange a defective gun like you can a DVD player or something. I'd love to just try another specimen.

Looks like that money I "saved" on Taurus was certainly in vein. I guess with low-end guns, its always a gamble.

KBintheSLC
May 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
Mine always goes bang, the 85UL and the two 66s. Great guns IMHO. If yours is mal-timed, send it back and have 'em fix it.

The part I am worried about is that on more than one account I have heard of Taurus "fixing" one problem, and creating another. A lot of folks have reported their guns coming back with whole new issues from the factory. Im just wondering if its worth the time and stress. For those that have used their warranty service, was your gun 100% afterward? It might be easier to just trade it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Taurus 85 UL - Disappointed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!