CIMARRON jr.

PDA

mr.mafia
May 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
what does anyone know about the CIMARRON jr. 38. spcl. i'm not trying to offend anyone with this request but please I would like response from only CIMARRON jr. owners or gunsmiths who know something about them. I want to know how they handle, how the are for ease of ownership (cleaning, maintatning of, and storage) and, how well they are for an all around side arm. thank you for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "CIMARRON jr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
May 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
I don't have a Junior model, but I do have a pair of Cimarron Model P .44 Special revolvers. I would think that the following would apply.

Both are well-balanced and very accurate. The overall fit and finish of the Cimarrons is top notch.

However...

They're very nearly true 1873 SAA clones, and they come with all the weaknesses of the design. Especially prone to failure are the mainspring and the cylinder stop bolt spring. Then, there's the matter of the hand continuing to rotate the cylinder if the hammer is overcocked...which most do to some degree unless specifically addressed with a positive means to provide hammer stop at the instant the cylinder bolt drops into place.

All this means that the guns aren't meant for hard use and tens of thousands of rounds. As long as you cock the hammer at a reasonable speed...avoid overcocking it...and limit the round count to about 500 annually, you probably won't have any trouble with it for a good many years.

The Cimarrons are good revolvers as long as you remain aware of their limitations. If you do have a problem, their warranty and customer service is reportedly very good.

Hope this helps.

BHP FAN
May 11, 2009, 09:47 AM
I had one of the 3/4 scale .38 special only ones,and quickly dumped it for the more robust full scale Thunderer in .357.I still,have the bird's head grip I was after [it's almost a saw handle,really,like the old double action Colt Lightening ] in a much more robust package.

If you enjoyed reading about "CIMARRON jr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!