>>>Your Best Recipes<<<

PDA

SniperStraz
May 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
Your Best Recipes

Hello all, I'm wondering what your best reloading recipes are . The most accurate one for a particular firearm.

For example:
Bullet weight: (xxx)
Powder type and amount: (xxx)
Primer type: (xxx)
Shot out of (xxx) weapon with (xxx) barrel length gets (xxx) groupings

Thanks for your help.
(I'm particularly interested in 9mm loads for a G19 and 30.06 loads for a Savage 110)

If you enjoyed reading about ">>>Your Best Recipes<<<" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eric F
May 10, 2009, 11:56 PM
Bullet weight: 530
Powder type and amount: ffg 93 grains volume
Primer type: win larg rifle
Shot out of 1874 sharps weapon with 32 barrel length gets +/- 1 inch at 100 groupings

MMCSRET
May 11, 2009, 12:10 AM
Bullet wt: 370 cast soft
Powder ffg 70 gr. w/over powder Walters card
Winchester LR primer
Remington Rolling Block 1879 contract in 43 Spanish. (Argentine Army)

SciFiJim
May 11, 2009, 12:22 AM
Sniper,
The best recipe for your G19 and Savage 110 will be the ones that you work up for YOUR G19 and Savage 110. Although firearms are mass produced, each has characteristics unto itself. The places to start are you reloading manuals, and then see what works best for your individual weapons.

I don't reload for either of those calibers, but if I did, I would still refer you to the published data first.

lgbloader
May 11, 2009, 12:44 AM
1 large Rib eye steak

Lightly coat both sides with Extra Virgin olive oil
season with Essence, fresh ground pepper, and garlic salt.

Sear a nice crust on one side in a cast iron skillet

Flip....

and finish in the oven at 350 degrees.

add baked potatoes and cream of spinich with bacon as sides.

Grgich Hills merlot or Cab Savignon..

Bon appetite

At Hunt Camp:

Fresh deer liver and heart with onions, potatoes and bacon.

Side with Green New Mexico Chile Stew...

Add your favorite Beer...

LGB

MovedWest
May 11, 2009, 03:14 AM
1 large Rib eye steak

Lightly coat both sides with Extra Virgin olive oil
season with Essence, fresh ground pepper, and garlic salt.

Sear a nice crust on one side in a cast iron skillet

Flip....

and finish in the oven at 350 degrees.

add baked potatoes and cream of spinich with bacon as sides.

Grgich Hills merlot or Cab Savignon..

Bon appetite

LGB - this is close enough to my recipe that I might just have to try it! Totally off topic, but MAN this sounded good just now! :D

-MW

jcwit
May 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
Bullet weight and type-- 53 gr. hpfb Sierra Match King
Case-- 5 Lake City weighed and uniformed
Powder-- Accurate 2230, 22 1/2 grains
Primer-- Federal Small Rifle B/R
Rifle--Remington 700vls 1 in 12 twist w/spec. chamber.
Accuracy-- one hole .300, 5 shot groups. at times 1/4" if luck is with me

Oh ya .223 Rem.

1858rem
May 11, 2009, 11:13 AM
Bullet weight/type-- 40g V-Max
Case--Remington
Powder--Reloader 15 26.5 grains (3700 fps avg)
Primer--fed 205/cci 400(whatevers in stock)
Rifle--Ruger MKII 1:12 24"bbl
typical of the rifle with any load, max group size 1.5", typical of this load i settled on ....7/8"-1/2", occasional single ragged hole for five shots @ 100 yds.

i broke my cleaning rod about 150 shots ago also:banghead:

jbkebert
May 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Suffed Sirloin

Sirloin steak extra thick. Take steak cut to 8 oz portion and take tip of sharp knife and cut a pocket in the corner of it. Works best with cut around 1 to 1 1/4" thick. Make a small opening and work knife into center of cut making a pouch. Mix a half dozen cherry tommatoes diced with blue cheese crumbles. Add to that a 1/2 oz of extra virgin olive oil and fresh cut and diced basil and tyme. Salt and pepper to taste. Take mixture and stuff into pouch created in sirloin. Seal off opening with a tooth pick. Grill sear both sides then cook to medium. Serve with baked potatoes or new potatoes coated with dill and rosemary and butter.

Otherwise my vest reciepie is the one I have taken hours to develope for one paticular rifle. Then the load i developed for another rifle. And repeat.:p

SniperStraz
May 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
Although firearms are mass produced, each has characteristics unto itself.
Thanks SciFiJim. I'm just looking for a place to start. Its still a fun thread for the other calibers though.

WNTFW
May 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
Caliber is usually a good thing to include.

jmorris
May 11, 2009, 03:29 PM
Caliber is usually a good thing to include.

He did 9mm & 30-06.

What he intends to use the loads for would narrow the field too.

DukeInMaine
May 11, 2009, 04:08 PM
MY advice on this subject is to ONLY treat anyone's posted "recipes" as opinions.

Opinions are not backed up by science.

And, reloading has to be based on science if it is to be SAFE!!!

So, read any posted recipes, and check them carefully in the books before proceeding with any reloading.

Having said that, I would add that there are too many variables in the components for anyone's opinions to be overly useful for you.

Get a good reloading book, and follow the science.

flipajig
May 11, 2009, 04:37 PM
hears my best recipe. (start fire with oak,pican, or misqute.
a pice of backstrap 3to 4in
butterfly do not cut inhalf
spic with what you like
stuff with any vegie you like
(i like musrooms,onion,bellpepper,jalapinos
spice the outside)
wrap with bacon hold it together with toothpicks.
put it on grill cook until done.
SIDES
baked potato. corn on cob all cooked on grill.

reloding is serious not to be taken lightly start with a manual gide lines and work up from there. each pistole.rifle will like a patikular load. good luck and enjoy dinner.

WNTFW
May 11, 2009, 05:17 PM
jmorris,
I was referring to the loads posted here by other users.

"Bullet weight: 530
Shot out of 1874 sharps weapon with 32 barrel length gets +/- 1 inch at 100 groupings"
I'm guessing this ain't .30-06 or 9mm. .45-70 perhaps.

I figure this is .223 but would not bet on it past a certain point (the OP did put.223 at the bottom)
".Bullet weight and type-- 53 gr. hpfb Sierra Match King
Case-- 5 Lake City weighed and uniformed
Powder-- Accurate 2230, 22 1/2 grains
Primer-- Federal Small Rifle B/R
Rifle--Remington 700vls 1 in 12 twist w/spec. chamber.
Accuracy-- one hole .300, 5 shot groups. at times 1/4" if luck is with me"

I don't mind hearing what others do in their loads. I find while a specific gun may need a load tweaked a bit different the trends are worth looking at. It does help to see a powder that works well for a caliber or a bullet that just seems to work. With component availablity being what it is alternatives are good to know.

This statement is worth putting in bold and maybe even in red
"What he intends to use the loads for would narrow the field too."

shootinblanks
May 11, 2009, 05:54 PM
What kind of reloader are you? Go ahead and use any recipe you get, but don't think about the fact that your gun may not handle the load suggested. You might want to think about body armor, maybe a concrete wall, just to be behind. (just to be safe) You need to read some reloading books and work your loads up. Good luck trying it your way, I value my life alittle more I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:what:

something vague
May 11, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'm sure he is aware of the risk that is involved with copying others loads so give the guy a little slack. Maybe a warning after you post your answer to the question would be in order. But I do agree that this thread could be an interesting one as it is nice to see what others are shooting for guns, what powders they have become comfortable with, and what kind of accuracy that others are getting with their gun and powder combo.

Maybe you should have left out the part where you tell everyone what you are looking for for an answer. This thread has pontential though. It might get me to look at working with other powder that I have not thought about using in the calibers I reload for.

Take it easy on the guy, especially shootinblanks (btw, sucks to be you if your screen name has any truth).

Redneck with a 40
May 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
Remington 700 SPS Tactical, 20" barrel, .308

42.5 grains IMR 4064
Federal GMM (gold metal match) case
Remington 9-1/2 primer
Sierra 168 gr SMK

2510 fps on the chrono, slow but accurate

I shot a one inch group at 200 yards with these last weekend (.5 MOA).

SniperStraz
May 11, 2009, 11:22 PM
but don't think about the fact that your gun may not handle the load suggested
I listed exactly which guns I intend to use these loads in.
What he intends to use the loads for would narrow the field too
Good point. I'd like good groupings at around 500 yards with the 30.06 and the same thing at around 30 yards with the 9mm.

Schleprok62
May 12, 2009, 12:16 AM
OK... I'll play... but the standard legal disclaimer applies... Try at your own risk... you may or may not see the same or even similar results, if your gun goes bang in a way other than engineered, it's not my fault... :neener:

Bullet weight: Sierra 168 MK
Powder type and amount: Hodgdon Varget - 47.5 grains
Brass: Remington once fired
Primer type: CCI Large Rifle Primer
Shot out of a Marlin XL-7 30-06 Sprg
COL: 3.230

For the record, this was my first 10 30-06 loads... they were good, but not great... 1.125" @ 100 yards 5 shot groups... :scrutiny:

I also have some 180 grainers I am going to try once I get the 168's figured out...

Cheers...

JDGray
May 12, 2009, 05:28 AM
MY advice on this subject is to ONLY treat anyone's posted "recipes" as opinions.

Opinions are not backed up by science.

True, But them steak recipes sound really safe, and tasty:D

freakshow10mm
May 12, 2009, 09:00 AM
10mm 1911 4 inch
Sierra or Hornady 180gr JHP
9.2gr Longshot
CCI350
1.26"
1250fps
One ragged hole at 50 feet.

375 H&H CZ 550 22 inch
300gr Sierra GameKing BTSP
63gr Varget
Fed LR Mag Match
3.6"
2400fps
.85" 5 shots 100y

geo57
May 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
JDGray, I agree with you and those on the risks of internet reloading recipes, but don't think that some of those steak recipes are risk free either . Putting quality, corn fed, beef rib eye steaks ( or corn fed venison loin steak ) in an oven and baking is illegal here & should be illegal in all 50 states and US territories. Regards all.

Clarence
May 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
6mm Ackley Improved
70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
52.7 grains of H4350 SC
Fed 210 Primer
MV - 4020 FPS
Best prairie dog load.

38 Special
148 gr wadcutter
2.7 grains of Bullseye

lgbloader
May 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
JDGray, I agree with you and those on the risks of internet reloading recipes, but don't think that some of those steak recipes are risk free either . Putting quality, corn fed, beef rib eye steaks ( or corn fed venison loin steak ) in an oven and baking is illegal here & should be illegal in all 50 states and US territories. Regards all.

Awe... Fiddle sticks!!!!

Ok, I agree a little...

LGB

SniperStraz
May 13, 2009, 09:16 AM
Very nice guys, les keep this one going. Thank you for all of your gun related answers.

geo57
May 13, 2009, 11:22 AM
LGB, since you'll bend a little, so will I. We grill all the better steaks medium rare and fry the round steak, but may have to try your pan searing method. One thing we totally agree on is just how precious that fresh venison liver is. Half inch thick slices, floured & fried until just brown, & sauted bacon & onion with it here. As far as venison heart, she pressure cooks it with bay leaf & other spices, and it makes quite a treat sliced & salted.

jbkebert
May 13, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you for all of your gun related answers.

What you don't like our cooking?:D

zxcvbob
May 13, 2009, 04:16 PM
Most accurate .38 Special load in a 4" S&W:

125 grain Berry's plated HP bullet
4.0 grains of Alliant Promo powder
any brand of SP primer

On a good day, I can keep all the bullets in the black shooting offhand at a 50' NRA bullseye target. I wish I could find something as accurate using my own cast bullets. (I probably need to try the 158's)

Redneck with a 40
May 13, 2009, 09:53 PM
Excellent 40 S&W load :

Winchester, Federal, Remington case, doesn't matter
6 grains Unique
165 grain Ranier bullet
Wolf SP Primer

I consistently blow out the 10 ring from 20 yards with this load, using my XD.

kb2zya
May 13, 2009, 10:12 PM
58g of H4831sc 168g hornady mach boattail holow points for my mossberg atr-100 30-06:neener:

Eric F
May 14, 2009, 07:58 AM
"Bullet weight: 530
Shot out of 1874 sharps weapon with 32 barrel length gets +/- 1 inch at 100 groupings"
I'm guessing this ain't .30-06 or 9mm. .45-70 perhaps.
nope, that would be a 50-90 sharps. The origional 50 cal! well sorta I think the 50-70 came first.

If you enjoyed reading about ">>>Your Best Recipes<<<" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!