Signs a gun has been shot?

PDA

Lightsped
October 16, 2003, 11:31 AM
I have a pistol at home. I bought it from a individual face to face. He claims it has never been shot. How can I tell for sure?

BTW, the gun is a 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Signs a gun has been shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larryw
October 16, 2003, 12:13 PM
You can look for signs of wear on the barrel shroud or rails, but this can also occur from racking the slide (a lot). Very light circular impressions on the breech face are a better indication, but take time to form. Remember, some guns are fired at the factory.

KelBench400
October 16, 2003, 12:15 PM
Field strip the gun and look closely at the inside of the slide, the barrel, and the locking lugs. If you can't find any signs of wear, the gun has most likely not been shot (much).

It's really impossible to tell though, unless he left the bore dirty. One shot, or even a magazine full won't create much visible wear.

HTH,
Kel

Lightsped
October 16, 2003, 01:20 PM
There are some light circular impressions on the breech face. Any idea how many rounds it takes for the impressions to form on the breech face?

bountyhunter
October 16, 2003, 02:58 PM
Remember, some guns are fired at the factory.

As far as I know, EVERY gun shipped in this country is fired at the factory. A wise man once told me: you never want to be the first person to fire ANY gun.

bountyhunter
October 16, 2003, 03:02 PM
There are some light circular impressions on the breech face. Any idea how many rounds it takes for the impressions to form on the breech face?

Depends how hot the ammo was and how good the steel is the frame is made out of. FWIW, unless this gun is a collector piece going in a museum, firing a few hundred or even a thousand rounds is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Most 1911's cycle cranky for the first few hundred rounds until they are broken in.

Rebel Gunman HK
October 16, 2003, 03:04 PM
If its that hard to tell you should be good to go. Right? :evil:

manwithoutahome
October 16, 2003, 03:46 PM
Lightsped, if you got a good deal on it, then it shouldn't really matter. And I'm glad to see that you are obeying the law :D (as in, in your county, you have to own a gun).

M

10-Ring
October 16, 2003, 04:19 PM
Check the mag for anykind of wear or grime, field strip the gun & check for grime. But really if the gun was fired once or twice, it would be very difficult to tell.

Daniel T
October 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
When I bought a "never-been-fired" 1911, I checked the firing pin. Pretty damn clean, good enough for me.

Of course, the shmuck put an idiot mark on the polished stainless frame... :(

Standing Wolf
October 16, 2003, 10:35 PM
If you can't find any signs of wear, the gun has most likely not been shot (much).

Unless, of course, it's been refinished.

45crittergitter
October 17, 2003, 11:50 AM
Well, a bullet hole in it would be an indication that it has been shot, but the other guys give good advice on whether it has been fired much. :neener: ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Signs a gun has been shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!