What media should I use in a mini-sonic tumbler?

PDA

mp43sniper
May 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
My grandpa used to make jewelry and doesn't use this tumbler anymore.

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler5.html

(The MT4 is the one I have) It's small but he gave it to me and I was hoping I could use it for pistol brass. I've tried it for about an hour with corn cob media and about a dozen shells, but it shined them up very little over that hour. I even used a few drops of the liquid brass cleaner from the gun shop in the mix.

I've got some tarnished stuff that spent some time in a barn (picked up at a reenactment site) which got really clean after an hour or so, but didn't shine up at all.

Should I be using different media, longer tumble times, or ???

Thanks,
Craig

If you enjoyed reading about "What media should I use in a mini-sonic tumbler?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mp43sniper
May 18, 2009, 07:31 PM
Update: tonight while eating supper I put 6 .44 magnum shells in the tumbler. After a half hour they looked exactly the same, but felt "smoother". I turned the machine back on, and stuck my hand inside and it felt like they were all sitting at the bottom in the middle and not moving around in a circle with the media.

Any suggestions?

RustyFN
May 18, 2009, 08:06 PM
You should be able to see the brass come to the top of the media and it will work it's way down. This cycle should continue until you turn the tumbler off. If you don't see that happening you probably need more vibration. I use walnut from the pet store. Walnut works faster than cob and still get the cases shiny enough for me. I also add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish car polish every batch and a paper towel tore into eight pieces. I tumble for 1.5 to 2 hours and they come out like new. I don't use brass that is black so my brass isn't super dirty to start with.
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "What media should I use in a mini-sonic tumbler?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!