Can I take ammo from canada to the US?


May 18, 2009, 07:12 PM
Something is wrong with the first post I made, and it's not showing up, so I'm posting this again. If I double post, sorry guys.

I was hoping someone here would know if it's legal for a resident of canada to buy ammo up there, and drive to the US with it? Or would one need an importation or exportation permit or something?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is a double post.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I take ammo from canada to the US?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
May 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
I imagine taking any products over the border in excess of a certain dollar amount would be considered smuggling. I'm not sure the type of material being transported would be as much of an issue as how much it is worth. Uncle Sam likes his tax revenues...


May 18, 2009, 07:48 PM
I personally wouldn't try it. I've crossed the US/Canadian border before, never again.

May 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Google is your friend

I typed "can I bring ammunition from canada into the USA" into googles search bar.

The following cite, directly on point, popped up in the fifth position.

Looks like you can, but will need to contact the BATFE and fill out some paperwork, links are provided in the cite. You will also need a "reason", though that looks pretty simple.

Speaking as an american gun board enthusiest; in the future, before asking questions on US gun boards, where you will usually get no helpful info but rather uninformative pseudo-answers and gratuitous Canada bashing, I suggest you first check the appropriate border agencies web sites, they usually have FAQ's, or just look at Google first to get some leads.

May 18, 2009, 09:07 PM
You can only be in possession of a firearm or ammunition as a nonimmigrant alien if you're Stateside to hunt or shoot in a match. Requires ATF forms to cross the border. All of it is covered on the ATF's site.

May 18, 2009, 09:12 PM
For a non-immigrant alien to possess firearms or ammunition in the US, they have to have a Form 6 NIA permit approved by the ATFE, otherwise you can look forward to being waterboarded until you disclose the true location of Osama Bin Laden.

May 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

Now I took carebear's advice and looked up whether or not a US citizen can bring ammo from canada into the US, and I didn't see any definitive information on whether I can or cannot.

If a friend of mine in Canada were to buy a bunch of ammo, maybe in excess of 10,000 rounds, and I were to fly over there, would I be able to drive back with the ammo? I didn't find anything that said I couldn't, but I'm still not really sure

May 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
for the amount of time and money you are going to spend to try to save some money you will find it isn't cost effective. price of ammo+plane ticket+car rental+fuel+food+possable lodging+your time+your friends time and most importantly of all dealing with Customs and Immagration and BATFE. :D

May 19, 2009, 09:51 AM
This is a question of competing national laws; you aren't allowed to possess ammunition in Canada unless you have a valid firearms Possession Certificate, and I'm sure that the US has some sort of laws regarding the import of ammunition (likely kicking in at a certain amount).

May 19, 2009, 09:52 AM

Time/Money/Effort spent to aquire something in Canada looks pretty good when you CAN'T get it in the 'States.

The US dollar is stronger than the Canadian dollar but local prices/taxes might make it a losing proposition unless what you are buying can't be aquired in a reasonable amount or time in the 'States.

Like .45 and .357 ammo.....:scrutiny:

May 19, 2009, 01:18 PM
Can you even purchase ammunition in Canada without their license? Well, legally, anyway.

May 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
You have to have a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) to buy ammo, but I don't think you have to be Canadian to get a PAL, you just have to take the course and submit the paperwork. I can't say for sure. I have a PAL, but I am a dual citizen. The harder laws are going to be the US laws. If you can legally buy it in Canada, you are going to go through red-tape hell to get it here.

July 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
The answer to your post is anybody who is over 18 yrs of age and who passes the Canadian Firearms Safety Course can have a PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence). As someone who worked for a time at the CFC (Canadian firearms Center) I can state definitely that it IS possible an American (and probaby for citizens of most countries) to have a PAL. Your only problem would be taking the course - as far as I know, they no longer accept any other courses. At one time you could apply to challenge the test (multiple choice, written test) ... but I'm not certain that you can still do that.
They do have a website:
and you can always call their toll free number and find out.
As for what happens when you cross the border - better check with: Homeland Security, the US Customs Service and the US Border Patrol.
Good luck to all. :scrutiny:

Art Eatman
July 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
The_Shootist, you haven't been paying attention. The Loonie is worth more than the US $, these days. Call it $1.05 US to buy a Canadian dollar.

July 23, 2011, 05:23 PM
Art, you haven't been paying attention. TheSarge revived this thread from May of 2009.

July 25, 2011, 12:07 AM
For a non-immigrant alien to possess firearms or ammunition in the US, they have to have a Form 6 NIA permit approved by the ATFE, otherwise you can look forward to being waterboarded until you disclose the true location of Osama Bin Laden.

'Bout [censored] time.

Cop Bob
July 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
If coming back through NY, it could be an Issue with NY State laws..

I have no idea if it is still the same, however, coming through customs in NY from Canada in the mid 70's there was a agent that wanted to throw is in jail for having more than 1000 rounds of 22LR.. there were 2 bricks or 22LR in our motorhome. Seems there was a law against ammunition caches of more that 1K rds of any one caliber.. fortunately for us, someone had broken one of the boxes and there were just under the illegal amount.. This was at 1000 Islands NY, returning from Montreal.. bout 1973 or 74..

July 25, 2011, 02:52 PM
I sold a Webley a few years back to a Gentleman in Canada but I could not send him the ammo. Bringing ammo from there to here would be through their customs and from what I understand very difficult at best.

July 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Canadians can take their guns across the border as long it does not involve an overnight stay - the purpose to go to a US gun range. I live in a border city, and at my range, which is both public and has members, there are frequently Canadians who come in for a day of shooting - their laws are very strict and availability of ranges very limited.

This surprised me - especially on the US side of the border. Customs and Immigration are tough cookies.

Far as a US citizen buying ammo in Canada and returning - no idea. I know it is much more expensive there so not something I've ever run across in my area.
Same with going there with ammo and bringing some of it back. Dunno about ammo, anything to do with it and the border.

I do know one thing: check with U.S. Customs and Immigration - don't rely on us because we will not be the ones charging you with a Federal Felony if things get mucked-up. Before you reach the other side of the "gate" at our borders - you don't have Constitutional Rights.


July 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have been told going S to N, dont even have an empty case w/ you by accident.

Stay home where you belong.

If they dont trust me I dont want to go there--but maybe you can save a couple $$. I doubt it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I take ammo from canada to the US?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!