Anyone use a Leapers compact 3-12x44?

PDA

mick53
May 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hi,

Wondering if anyone here has used this Leapers scope?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...422&t=11082005

They make some real similar models to this one but this is non-illuminated with side focus, and AO, focusable 10ft - infinity.

If no one owns this exact model, I'd like to hear about the similar models.

I had always heard Leapers were no good. Then I bought a 6x32 Bugbuster at a garage sale a few years ago.

I had it in my hand to check out and it looked OK to me so I paid $15. It's a great little scope that I still use, so I'm gonna try this one out.

Midway says it's returnable for a full refund as long as it hasn't been mounted. So I'll check out the glass and if it's less than I expect, I'll ship it right back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use a Leapers compact 3-12x44?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
May 21, 2009, 03:45 AM
I have that model...They are alright, but you can do better for the money spent.

mick53
May 21, 2009, 01:58 PM
"I have that model...They are alright, but you can do better for the money spent."

See, that's the thing. I know I can get better glass for the money. But the scope is going on a Marlin Papoose 70PSS, a small takedown rifle with a 16' barrel.

I need a compact scope. This one is 10.6'. Plus I want to try out a side focus.

Leupold has some scopes that would be nice for it but the cost is prohibitive, at least for me.

If anyone knows of a compact scope, 11' or shorter with side focus with at at least a 3-9 AO, for under $200, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Maverick223
May 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
It is not terribly small. It is short, but the objective is a big and it is a bit on the hefty side. If you go with a 3-9x I don't think the AO will be all that important, any higher magnification and I think it is needed. I would lean towards something like this... http://www.swfa.com/pc-6975-1094-nikon-3-9x40-omega-muzzleloader-riflescope.aspx It is a bit over your price range, but only by $40, and I think it would make a better lighter scope. The length is 11.3in., so it is longer, but still rather short.

mick53
May 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
"It is not terribly small. It is short, but the objective is a big and it is a bit on the hefty side. If you go with a 3-9x I don't think the AO will be all that important, any higher magnification and I think it is needed. I would lean towards something like this... hthttp://www.swfa.com/pc-6975-1094-n...iflescope.aspx It is a bit over your price range, but only by $40, and I think it would make a better lighter scope. The length is 11.3in., so it is longer, but still rather short."

You're link is broken.

But if this is the Nikon Omega scope I think it is, it's about $120 MORE than the $119 Leapers, or almost exactly double the cost!

And it's not a side focus, like I said that I wanted. And it's not AO, like I said I wanted. And it is longer than the Leapers, and the Leapers is absolutely the longest I want to go for this rifle.

But, uh, thanks for the advice.

I'm curious as to why you suggested it, because this scope has nothing at all to do with my stated preferences.

Maverick223
May 21, 2009, 05:29 PM
I'm curious as to why you suggested it, because this scope has nothing at all to do with my stated preferences.
I just wanted to be an a$$ and ruin your day. Sorry I will not make any further suggestions, have a nice day.

mick53
May 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
It sounds as if you're offended. If you are, I'm not concerened about it.

I mean ,did you read ANYTHING I said about what I was looking for?

Your suggestion had none of what I said I was looking for. Zero.

THEN you said the Nikon Omega, which met none of my qualifications to begin with, (not a side focus, not AO, not really "compact" and so on) was "only $40 more," when it is in fact $120 more. That was the frosting on the cake, so to speak.

I mean really, why did you bother answering at all when you knew this wasn't even CLOSE to what I said I was looking for?

You wasted your time writing your response and I wasted by time reading it.

And as far as no more input from you, I do thank you for that.

I have to figure you're just one of those dudes who likes to post for the same reason some people who really have nothing to say talk a lot. And that's simply to have themselves heard whether or not what they are saying has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Mal H
May 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
This one is done. If you want to try again, feel free, but let's leave the attitude out of it. A member was trying to help, if he didn't, you have the choice of ignoring it or simply saying it didn't help and move on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use a Leapers compact 3-12x44?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!