.243 deer loads, Remington Express Core-Lokt 100gr. vs. Winchester Power Point 100gr.

PDA

outerlimit
May 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
Both seem to have identical velocity specifications. Of the two, which do you prefer and why?

I've noticed the Remington is a little bit cheaper and comes in a little bit smaller box.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 deer loads, Remington Express Core-Lokt 100gr. vs. Winchester Power Point 100gr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kingcreek
May 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
I've used the .243 Win only because it groups a little better in my old M70 fwt. I've used both core-lokt and power point in my 270 and performance is essentially the same on deer and pronghorn in that caliber so I doubt if there is any significant difference between the 2 in a .243. IOW, both are adequate.

Smokey Joe
May 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
Outer Limit--I like accuracy. And with the .243 especially, there is very little margin for error with an animal the size of a deer--less so with anything smaller. So my choice would be whichever is more accurate IN THE RIFLE IN QUESTION--not my rifle, but yours in this case.

Accuracy being equal, then I'd consider cost and availability.

For myself, I reload, and I can out-shoot any factory .243 ammo with my 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. For deer I'd switch to Ballistic Silver-Tips, or Partitions, again at 95 grains. I'd prefer Accubonds, but don't think they're available in .243.

I'm curious: comes in a little bit smaller box.why is this a factor in yr decision? You don't HAVE to use the store box for field carry. ?? :confused:

outerlimit
May 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Just an observation I just noticed, not related to the ammo itself. When I held each box in hand the Remington box was a little bit smaller. It just seems to me like sometimes Remington is very 'no frills' in the packaging department.

MMCSRET
May 20, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have had good success with both. Placement is paramount for this; same as any other.

ArmedBear
May 20, 2009, 04:10 PM
I don't have a .243, but in my .30-06, the Winchester Wal-Mart loads are more accurate than the Remingtons.

Handloads, and nothing special even, no special prep or anything, group about half the size of those, however.

Try both.

More expensive factory ammo might or might not group better in your rifle. It didn't in mine. It all depends.

The problem here is, if you care about a buck or two a box, you might not want to buy 5-10 boxes of ammo to find out which one shoots best. That's understandable.

I'm not sure what to tell you, other than that I finally started loading my own. It's great. I can load up 3 rounds each of several different powder charges, find the one that shoots best, load up a few more to double check, and voila I have an accurate rifle.

Reloading is underrated IMO.

The bummer is that, for necked rifle rounds, you need to spend money on equipment that you can get by without, if you just load for revolvers. That's why it's taken me a long time to get into it. I did find good deals on equipment, but it takes time to find everything if you want quality on the cheap.:)

Maverick223
May 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
and comes in a little bit smaller box.
I LOLed, despite the larger box, in general I like the Win. better for accuracy, Rem. Xpress accuracy stinks. Penetration and expansion should be virtually identical. Get Win. Ballistic Silvertips for when it counts.

mickeydim468
May 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
I recently started re-loading for my own .243 Win rifle as well as for my 30.06. I usually shot the Remington Express Core Lokt 100 or even 80Gr. in my .243 and with the re-loads I am able to get a much tighter group with a 3 shot group down to .707" center to center. I re-load with the Lee Classic Loader and a volume scoop that comes with the kit. It cost me $20.99 per caliber for the kit at Cabella's and as soon as I found and gathered up all of the components to do the re-loading, I was in business.

Heck, I went to the range Sunday with my new Weatherby Vangard in .243 and shot a box of the Remmy ammo listed above through it, while I was breaking in the barrel, and then took 20 minutes to reload 20 more rounds. I shot them for the accuracy grouping I just told you about. It was fun to sit there at the range and re-load the cases and then shoot them to see how they did. I have also shot the same Winchester ammo you mention in my other rifles and found them to be just a little better than the Remmy ammo. Not much but some anyway.

Try them both and see which one your rifle likes, and go from there. But in the end, if it were me, I would start re-loading as soon as I could. You won't be sorry you did! ;)

Mikey!

Gordon
May 20, 2009, 07:18 PM
Power points open quicker than Corloktd's generally (read Coreloktd penetrate deeper-usually) see which one shoots tighter groups on game less than 200 pounds as it won't matter if placed right!

homers
May 20, 2009, 09:49 PM
It's kind of like coke vs pepsi to me.

rangerruck
May 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
I like both, and they both work equally well; but I choose the federal standard blue box, soft point. Better accuracy. You have to check for accuracy.

Cpt. America
May 21, 2009, 12:20 AM
Of the two I would go with the Core-lock its got a great track record. I use it in my 30-30 with great results.

outerlimit
May 21, 2009, 07:51 AM
I like both, and they both work equally well; but I choose the federal standard blue box, soft point.

Forgot about those! Thanks for the tip. I think I'll pick up a box or two of all three and see what my results are.

pbrktrt
May 21, 2009, 08:19 AM
I find Hornady to shoot better than any of the above in my rifle. They all like something different.

outerlimit
May 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hornady shot the best, but it's likely to be a bit more expensive.

Maverick223
May 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
Agreed on both counts. Try it and, assuming it does well, only use it when it counts.

outerlimit
May 21, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well I stopped at Walmart today to purchase some .243. As I was trying to get the other sales lady's attention a different one was on the phone with someone asking about .243. Finally got her attention and bought some Federal, Winchester and Remington.

Remington shot the worst, Federal was second best and the Winchester shot two bullets into the same hole at 100yds. All three loads shot to the same point of aim, though it almost seemed like the Federal was a little more powerful and shot a tiny bit higher. However I just checked the load data on Federal's website and it is loaded to the same specs as the Winchester and Remington.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be purchasing either Federal or Winchester in the future.

Maverick223
May 21, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be purchasing either Federal or Winchester in the future.
NP, glad to hear you found what works best for you.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 deer loads, Remington Express Core-Lokt 100gr. vs. Winchester Power Point 100gr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!