I'm watching Battleground

PDA

Ed Brunner
January 17, 2003, 09:38 PM
It's on TCL and is probably the classic WWII movie. It is about the Battle of the Bulge and it depicts some of the misery and glory of the "Battered Bastards of Bastogne".

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm watching Battleground" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guy sajer
January 17, 2003, 10:37 PM
Me too . I think James Whitmore won an Oscar for his role as the sarge . Lot's of stars in that one including Ricardo Montalban , James Arness , Van Johnson and others . Great movie!

Remember the scene where the Reverend asks if anyone is from Ohio ? One guy says Tippecanoe City . That's where I grew up and where our family owned gun shop is located . They changed the name to Tipp City after WWII .

Also , a small company here called Kilgore mfg made a big brass framed 37mm flare pistol here during the war . They turn up occasionally .

Mitch
www.oldeenglishoutfitters.com

ed dixon
January 17, 2003, 11:48 PM
Hansolo's dad wrote it. There's a thread on TFL where it's discussed.

Ed Brunner
January 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
Yes, Robert Pirosh wrote it and won an Academy Award for it. He was a WWII combat vet.

Glockster35
January 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
Guys,

I participated in the 25th annual "March on Bastogne" celebrating the 101st Airborne's part of the battle. This took place in December of 2002. Was an 11 mile march through the battlefields and towns near Bastogne Belgium. Weather was terrible and all but well worth the experience.

Quite an awesome, somber feeling to know I am free to walk an area where so many suffered. Saw a lot of old timers there to commemorate their part in the mission. Afterwards there was a huge ceremony where locals laid wreaths by the town "Tank". The Belgians and Germans in attendance had nothing but good things to say of our men who paid the highest price. And the beer was damn good too...

I will try to go back every year I am over here. If nothing more for support and memories for our guy that fell.

guy sajer
January 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for sharing your humbling experience . It's a good feeling to hear that some Europeans appreciate what the USA did for the world in the 20th century .

The beer part sounded good also :)

Glockster35
January 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
I was really surprised that even the Germans (most anyway), didn't agree with the war, and they really didn't like Hitler or his Army.

But I won't say that Germans like Americans. I won't even go there.

Belgians on the other hand love Americans and will do anyhting for us.

guy sajer
January 18, 2003, 04:41 PM
Maybe the Germans would feel better if we sent them a bill for the cost of our war effort as well as our costs in rebuilding their country after the war ? And then fending off the Russians via Berlin air lift and keeping the commies behind the Iron Curtain for 50 yrs ?
I can't figure their attitude towards us . Unless , they're mad that we beat their @$$ twice in the last century and a few Hessians in the 18th century .
The way I figure it . We're 3-0 .

I guess they're just sore losers .

CAP
January 18, 2003, 09:31 PM
Man, I used to love that old flick.
I can relate to the cold right now since it's going to be 16 degrees here tonight.

hansolo
January 18, 2003, 09:47 PM
My Dad was a very prolific writer...from the Marx Bros. "A Day at the Races," to "Battleground," "Go for Broke," "Hell is for Heroes," and created the TV shows, "Combat!" and "Laramie".

He was one of the 'Battered Bastards of Bastogne'. I'm sure he's looking down and smiling. "That's fer sure...that's fer DANG sure!".

Thanks! Steve Pirosh, AKA; hansolo

Ed Brunner
January 18, 2003, 10:27 PM
Did your father identify with a particular Battleground character?

hansolo
January 19, 2003, 01:21 AM
Hi, Ed!

He never mentioned writing himself into the film, but Dad's sense of humor would have made him most likely identify with
Van Johnson's character. Dad was a Sergeant. A little Hollywood trivia: the director, William "Wild Man" Wellman directed the film "Wings" years before the 1949 production of "Battleground".

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm watching Battleground" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!