CCW: Revolver or Semi-Auto

PDA

Rob96
October 17, 2003, 06:37 AM
OK. Once and for all. What is your main concealed carry piece?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW: Revolver or Semi-Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1badmagnum
October 17, 2003, 07:00 AM
more rounds.
too bad they dont make polymer revolvers.
hey gaston!
lol.:neener:

Jack19
October 17, 2003, 07:46 AM
Semi. Glock 19. I'd have to carry three revolvers to equal the capacity. :D

denfoote
October 17, 2003, 07:52 AM
Something in .45ACP.

Glock 30, 36, Ruger P97, or a 1911. Right now, it's the 1911!!!

Tamara
October 17, 2003, 08:11 AM
Both.

Pappy John
October 17, 2003, 08:13 AM
Mine currently is the .44 special S&W 696. I have a Kimber .45, but I just like the feel of the revolver better, together with its absolute reliability.

I'd have to carry three revolvers to equal the capacity
:neener: Planning on missing a few, eh?:neener:

jem375
October 17, 2003, 10:49 AM
carry a semi-auto until you can spell revolver right......just kidding.....I carry both............G26, Witness 10MM compact, and revolver is the S&W model 66.......................

Rob96
October 17, 2003, 11:02 AM
Good catch jem. For some reason I do that a lot when I type out revolver.

sm
October 17, 2003, 11:13 AM
Both

jem375
October 17, 2003, 11:27 AM
Rob96....yeah, I know how it is..........sometimes my fingers get ahead of themselves on the keyboard also................

C.R.Sam
October 17, 2003, 12:18 PM
Wheel for defence.
Bottom feeder for offence.

Sam

jercamp45
October 17, 2003, 12:21 PM
Properly customized, of course. Though sometimes it is a Para LDA Companion.
The only revolver I have is an airweight 'Jay' for the pocket, back up and DEEP concealment...but the Officer's hide's real nice.
Looking into getting a CCO type 1911 next(4in, Officer's frame).
I like the thinness and the 'feel' of the 1911.....8 big, heavy ones with a flat quick reload is hard to beat.....and that is not to say, since I have mostly 1911 Wilson mags laying about....that I cannot find more ammo handy...just got to get to the stash, man!!!
Jercamp45

Ala Dan
October 17, 2003, 02:50 PM
Semi-Auto, in particular a West German SIG-SAUER .45 caliber P220A

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

snubby
October 17, 2003, 03:36 PM
Interesting that this poll's splitting about 2-to-1 in favor of the auto. I would have expected the auto to be even higher. Just goes to show there's still a wheelgun following out there! I carry both at different times, but do find it easier now-a-days to just "grab" my snubnose S&W 340 PD (in a pocket holster) and go.

Rob96
October 17, 2003, 04:40 PM
So I have my feedback in this. My main carry gun is a Colt 1991A1. But do carry a revolver when it's easier to grab for quick runs and such.

Ky Larry
October 17, 2003, 05:20 PM
Full size Kimber .45 ACP.

cool45auto
October 17, 2003, 10:22 PM
:cool:
l
l
l
l
V

Rogelio
October 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
I carry almost all my guns (which are not much) for concealed carry, but even as I love my Glock 25, I just prefer to carry my 4" .38spl with plain lead (LRN) bullets. Hey, it is that or FMJ here in Peru....well, my lead bullets are kind of modified...(and my FMJ are flat tipped, and sometimes homemade JHP's though they take a while to make!!)

Also, .38spl from a 4" packs more punch that a .380 acp...

JCM298
October 17, 2003, 11:44 PM
My "always" gun is my S&W 340SC,

John

22/22mag
October 18, 2003, 02:47 AM
I carry in my jacket a .38 snub nose ( though I cant seem to hit anything past 20 feet with it) because it will shoot when I need it the most not like some of my other auto's that get pickey sometimes (might be limp wristing) On my hip a Kahr pm9 in Bandara beltster.I have 150 perfect rounds through it and its right on target good to 35 feet. So far I trust it.
My Sig 228 and my Sig 220 are the best always shooting ,never a jam or stove pipe guns that I have but are just to big for carry.Looking into a Sig 239 that might fit better.

Black Snowman
October 18, 2003, 03:12 AM
I can't carry yet but it's going to be an automatic. Reasons? Thin, capacity, and they tend to point better for me.

C-mon KS give me some CCW!

Rob96
October 18, 2003, 08:59 AM
Rogelio, can't you carry some kind of semi or full wadcutter in your 38 special. This would be a better option than the LRN you are carrying.

Mike Irwin
October 18, 2003, 10:57 AM
I've carried revolvers as my primary CCW for many years.

I just picked up a P7 PSP...

It has the potential for replacing my revolvers...

jar
October 18, 2003, 11:40 AM
Most often a SiG 230 but the Colt DS is a close second.

Raz
October 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
I toggle between my XD9 Service, and my Kimber Ultra Carry... that is until I get my fancy-pants nickel plated .38 Super! :cool:

Always auto, tho.

-Raz

Phantom Warrior
October 18, 2003, 04:00 PM
Glock 23

No cylinder bulge, higher capacity, easier to carry reloads for. And I don't have any revolvers. That's probably part of it too...

Raz
October 18, 2003, 04:07 PM
Actually ... didn't want to sound too immodest... But...

... really I carry a 500 S&W Magnum.

Mexican.

12 o'clock.

In the summer.

On the beach.

In speedos. :D

haha

-Raz

longeyes
October 18, 2003, 08:33 PM
However many guns you carry, one should always be a revolver.

valnar
October 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
Neither. Not allowed in O-HEIL-O.

:cuss: :fire:

-Robert

Firefighter
October 18, 2003, 10:50 PM
J Frame

Hot brass
October 19, 2003, 12:34 AM
Para P14/45 or SA 1911/45. Slab side all the way.

Skunkabilly
October 19, 2003, 03:32 AM
9mm autos.

duckfoot
October 19, 2003, 03:42 AM
auto 9

Spieler
October 19, 2003, 04:33 AM
9mmP Auto, most often my G17.

Just bought my first revolver last month and I likes it :D so I might explore that avenue a bit more as I gain experience with it!

ruger fan 101
October 19, 2003, 06:17 AM
Revovler!! Like both, prefer Rev. due to simple operation. More shot dosen't due a thing for me. One good shot will beat 15 misses any day..

George Hill
October 19, 2003, 03:47 PM
"too bad they dont make polymer revolvers."
Shut'yo'mouth!

Well, I've been packin ottermatics for as long as I can remember, with only my first and one other handgun being a revolver...
First handgun was a Ruger Single Six .22. Then after a couple 1911's and others, I had a S&W model 10 .38Special. I can't even recall all the other guns I have gone though.
Now I have two new guns on the way, and these are intended to be my "duty" guns for defense and trail use.
S&W's both of them. A 3 inch 696 and a 4 inch 66, both Stainless.
To be honest, the anticipation of these two arrivals is greater than that of any other gun I've had shipped out to me in the last 10 years. Both are coming from THR members here, and I thank each one whole heartedly.

I'm looking at loading the .357 with a moderate 158 grain loading... and the .44 Special with perhaps a 200 grainer at a moderate loading. I'm not wanting super heavy thumpers out of these... nore do I want the super light/super fast. I'm wanting something that is middle of the road that can maximize accuracy.

I'm not sure which one will be the primary carry... but I'm leaning to the 696 for that. I have a cougar (big cat - not the little Beretta) around here that my need intervention if he comes near my home. Then there is the matter of an approaching Utah Winter, where the goblins will be wearing heavy clothes... heavy canvas snowmobile suits are popular out here. Deep penetration is something I'm looking for.

I blame a certain gun writer for this. I have to admit it. John Taffin is the culprit. Oh, this doesn't end here. Because of him *shakes fist in the direction of Wyoming* I am still jonesing for a blued 4 inch .41 Magnum, in like a 27 or 28... This is all Taffin's fault. Dang him!

:D

aerod1
October 19, 2003, 10:14 PM
Revolver. Why? Well, if you have a misfire on a revolver, just pull the trigger again to the next round.

Jim Hall

Mannlicher
October 20, 2003, 08:53 PM
Both, and sometimes both at one time. I shoot both revolver and semi auto well, have a good selection, and have confidence in each of them.

FunYet
October 21, 2003, 12:09 AM
Well, I can't carry where I live. I can (do) carry in a number of states that I travel to because I have non-resident permits. In those cases I carry a S&W 642 (.38 +P revolver). I have a Kahr PM9 (9mm semi-auto) but for some reason I just don't feel comfortable carrying it yet (though I'm wicked with it at the range!)

jdmb03
October 21, 2003, 12:39 AM
Ruger GP100, SS, full lug, 3"

ChickenHawk
October 21, 2003, 12:46 AM
I guess the common theme here is, you go with what you're comfortable with.

ChickenHawk

farscott
October 21, 2003, 07:15 AM
I fall into the "both" category -- but may not for long. My "always" gun is an S&W M342PD in my front pocket, and I carry a 1911 IWB. The J-frame is nice for those unexpected little trips, like walking the dog in the middle of the night.

I shoot the 1911 better, but I do okay with the J-frame. I am considering a return to wheelguns for CCW due to a nagging shoulder injury which has made some 1911 failure drills very difficult to complete. The 1911 conceals better, especially in the heat of summer, but I have carried an L-frame revolver IWB. This time I am considering an S&W M10 since I can shoot that revolver very well with both hands, even with my injured shoulder, and I would have commonality of ammo with my M342PD.

If I think about this, there might be a lesson in all of this. The revolver might be the better CCW choice for me. Funny how an injury can offer some insight.

Tamara
October 21, 2003, 08:05 AM
Because of him *shakes fist in the direction of Wyoming* I am still jonesing for a blued 4 inch .41 Magnum, in like a 27 or 28

Pssst! George! The .41's are the 57 and 58... :uhoh:

Tamara
October 21, 2003, 08:06 AM
Glock 23

No cylinder bulge,

Just grip bulge and slide bulge and frame bulge and... ;) :p

George Hill
October 21, 2003, 10:06 AM
:uhoh: I lost my S&W model number decoder ring

dhoomonyou
October 21, 2003, 10:11 AM
Glock 26.

SouthpawShootr
October 21, 2003, 12:16 PM
I usually carry either a Glock 26 or NAA Guardian .380. Occasionally, I carry my Taurus 650 CIA. Used to carry an AMT .45 Backup (I know, I know, :rolleyes: but it really was the only reliable AMT I've ever come across).

TonyB
October 21, 2003, 03:25 PM
Sp101, 357mag.
Although I'm going to try and carry my glock 17 this winter,just for a change.:cool:

Rob96
October 21, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Tamara
Just grip bulge and slide bulge and frame bulge and...

And don't forget barrel bulge for when that G23 KB's.:D Sorry , I just had to sneak that in there.

George Hill
October 21, 2003, 11:00 PM
And don't forget barrel bulge for when that G23 KB's. Sorry , I just had to sneak that in there.

http://www.madogre.com/images/laugh.gif

xjer
October 21, 2003, 11:21 PM
Ruger SP101 SS 2.25" .357

Mike

tac17
October 22, 2003, 12:50 AM
Glock 19 or 17 depending on how I dress.

355sigfan
October 23, 2003, 08:41 PM
Usually a Semi auto. I do have a Centenial that I use as a deep cover UC gun and as a court and church gun. But if its anything larger than a pocket gun its a semi auto for me. Revolvers will still get the job done but they are generally outclassed in the self defense area by autos.
Pat

mountainclmbr
October 26, 2003, 03:04 PM
Two votes for semi's. I carry a Para Ordnance LDA 12.45 in a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB or a Kahr MK40 in a Don Hume pocket holster. Many times I have both.

I have been considering getting a 10mm or one of those slick S&W 329PD 44 mags for the fall season when the bears get unruly around here.

ACP
October 26, 2003, 05:58 PM
Always gun -- S&W 642.

Weekend gun -- Colt Combat Commander, S&W 19 (snub), or 686 (4").

But lately I've been wanting to pare things down. I keep re-reading Darren Laur's post here from July 17 "The Anatomy of Fear and How it relates to Survival Skills Training" (I printed it out -- long!). He keeps stressing how combat skills must be gross motor based. To me, that means a pull-and-fire weapon, such as a revolver, a Glock, or a DAO semiautomatic. And I believe the most reliable, powerful, simple, accurate, and rust resistant option is: a 4" K- or L-frame S&W revolver in .357 magnum. FWIW.

ninjaj448
October 28, 2003, 06:20 PM
Charter Undercover in less clothes weather. Beretta 9000S in more clothes weather.

Poohgyrr
October 28, 2003, 09:49 PM
Well, I kinda think of the J frames as "always" pieces. And my favorite is theHi Power in autos, and blued Smith revolvers in real guns ;)....

And yup. Taffin and those other troublemakers have me dreaming over a certain 38/44 HD redone to .45 Long Colt (or .44 Special) by a certain famous Smith. Or a blued 4" Smith .41 Special.. :):):).......

Then we have Paco and the Lever Rifle crowd causing trouble ;).....

Schuey2002
October 28, 2003, 09:54 PM
Semi.

Glock 19, but trying out a P7 as I type..

(Sometime in the future a HK P2000 will be inserted in the space above.) ;)

squire
October 28, 2003, 10:40 PM
642 Most of the year.

Winter months K9

Lancel
October 28, 2003, 10:53 PM
Usually a snubnose revolver for CCW. Semi for most other times.

Larry

George Hill
October 28, 2003, 11:12 PM
John Taffin's an SOB aint he? He has me into two wheelguns now!
S&W 66 4" stainless .357 Magnum and a S&W 696 3" stainless .44 Special... but what I am really wanting is a blued .41 Magnum... all because of him!
Dang that guy!

;) :D

Lancel
October 28, 2003, 11:43 PM
George Hill,
Well at least you can blame Taffin.

I quit using revolvers then fell off the wagon after being tempted by the likes of C.R.Sam, Mike Irwin, Kentucky Rifle, and Tamara.

And they weren't even trying. :D

Larry

(My name is Larry and I carry a revolver... )

Blackhawk
October 29, 2003, 12:08 AM
Plastic self stuffer.

Border
October 29, 2003, 06:28 AM
342PD. Lightweight. My keys weigh more. Loaded with Federal Hydroshocks. Rather undetectable in an Uncle Mikes. Greater reliability outweighs the advantage of quicker tactical reloads/dropping the magazine, more rounds kinda thing in my opinion. When have you even heard of a private citizen needing to do that?!

355sigfan
October 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Greater reliability outweighs the advantage of quicker tactical reloads/dropping the magazine, more rounds kinda thing in my opinion.
END

Problem is your assuming revolvers are more reliable than autos and thats simply not the case anymore.
Pat

Tamara
October 29, 2003, 01:04 PM
Problem is your assuming revolvers are more reliable than autos and thats simply not the case anymore.

Problem is, anybody who's fired a significant number of rounds through both systems knows that just ain't so, Pat. You know that as well as I do. Yes, revolvers can and do malf, too, and autos are terrifically reliable these days, with many going thousands of rounds without a hiccup. But how many revolver stoppages, per round fired, have you seen vis a vis auto malfs?

I'll not count the woes I read on the board or hear from customers in the shop, and go with solely personal experiences:

The last revolver malfunction I personally saw was about three years ago, when some warm 240gr loads tied up my Rossi 720. About a year before that, a bent moonclip in my 625 caused the DA pull to be impossibly heavy.

With autos, in the last three years I've seen: A Glock 31 that wouldn't feed from postban mags, a USP9C that jammed on WallyWorld White Box ball, a Delta Elite that didn't like being shot one-handed with target loads, my Pro choke on the last round in the mag because I didn't clean it for a blue million rounds, some Wilson mags with worn springs cause FTF's on the last round in the same gun, a BDM hiccup inexplicably on a round of FMJ, a Detonics that has intermittent FTF problems, and on, and on, and on.

Yes, revolvers can and do malf, but to say that it happens anywhere near as often as a semiauto is just not borne out by experience.

(As far as word of mouth goes: for every revolver brought in the shop for actual mechanical function problems, I'd wager that we see a hundred or more semiautos. On the boards, a quick glance over at the semiauto forum shows "Help!" threads about a SIG P-220, a Walther TPH, a Kimber Ultra CDP, a Taurus PT-92, an HK P7M8, and that's just going by thread titles. How many guys on the revolver forum are complaining about limpwristing, FTF's, double feeds, type three malfs, stovepipes, ammo incompatability, tap-rack-bang drills, et cetera?)

A final note: I am in no way suggesting that a semiauto is not reliable enough for CCW, as there's one on my belt now. But if someone walked into the house right now and said: "If you can have one gun you own fire a full load of ammo with no malfunctions of any type, I'll give you this check for one million dollars," I'd go pick up my Smith Military & Police and start planning on how I was going to spend the money. ;)

VictorLouis
October 29, 2003, 01:28 PM
:o

PAT, it's nice to see you've mellowed in your replies to these sort of posts.:cool:

Tamara, what can I say that you haven't already said so well above me? If plagarism were ethical, you'd have that all over the 'net in short order.:D

buzz_knox
October 29, 2003, 01:30 PM
I figure a bottom feeder is appropriate for a lawyer to carry.

Thanks, C.R. Sam, for the new term. ;)

Mike Irwin
October 29, 2003, 03:48 PM
I'm scaring myself, Victor, but the P7 PSP....

Wow...

355sigfan
October 29, 2003, 07:20 PM
But how many revolver stoppages, per round fired, have you seen vis a vis auto malfs?

I'll not count the woes I read on the board or hear from customers in the shop, and go with solely personal experiences:

END

Taken as a whole I would agree that revolvers tend to be more reliable. But taken on a case by case basis comparing quality autos I stand by my original assessment. I have had revolvers that have never malfunctioned and I have had some that were lemons. Same can be said of my auto's. I have had considerable time on both systems. I respectfully disagree with you on this issue.
Pat

surfinUSA
October 29, 2003, 07:50 PM
Although my primary weapon at work is a SIG 239 in 40 I voted for the revolver because at work I usually carr a Colt DS as a back up and I carry it all the time off duty.

Tamara
October 29, 2003, 11:15 PM
Taken as a whole I would agree that revolvers tend to be more reliable. ... I respectfully disagree with you on this issue.

Well, which is it? Are they, on average, more reliable, or aren't they? :confused:

12 Volt Man
October 29, 2003, 11:32 PM
I voted semi-auto, as right now I do not own a revolver. Not even a Ruger Single Six. Shouldn't everyone have one of those?

355sigfan
October 30, 2003, 12:04 AM
Well, which is it? Are they, on average, more reliable, or aren't they?
END

Like I said as a whole revolvers are a wee bit more reliable because you have guns like Jennings and Lorinc and Highpoint to factor in. But if you only count quality guns like Sig, GLock, HK, Beretta ext for the autos and revolvers like Colt, Ruger, Smith for the Revolvers then they are equal. Fair enough.
Pat

Tamara
October 30, 2003, 12:18 AM
But if you only count quality guns like Sig, GLock, HK, Beretta

I have had plenty of malfs with Glocks, HK's, SIGs and Berettas in the past three years.

Haven't had a single one with a revolver since November of '00. (...and that was with a Rossi. Haven't had a Colt/Ruger/S&W choke since '99.)

Guess I'm just a big ol' statistical anomaly. :uhoh:

355sigfan
October 30, 2003, 03:44 AM
I have had plenty of malfs with Glocks, HK's, SIGs and Berettas in the past three years.

Haven't had a single one with a revolver since November of '00. (...and that was with a Rossi. Haven't had a Colt/Ruger/S&W choke since '99.)
END

I have had GLocks, HK's, Sigs and Beretta's malfunction as well. But I have had the following revolvers malfunction, Colt Python, Colt Trooper, Ruger Redhawk, Taurus 605, and my Smith 610. The Colts went out of time and missfired like crazy and had to be retimed. The Redhawk broke its trigger/hammer spring. The Taurus 605 went out of time after just 500 mag loads and started missfiring like mad. The Smith would not set the primers off on some S&B 40sw ammo. True a misfire or type one malfunction in a revolver is an easy fix. But in an auto its not all that hard either tap,rack access. So maybe your experience is just different than my own.
Not much more to be said. You have your opinion I have mine.
Pat

jc2
October 30, 2003, 05:04 AM
Smith would not set the primers off on some S&B 40sw ammo.
That doesn't sound like a weapon malfunction.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of loads had you been using in your Redhawk when it broke--standard R-P/W-W/Federal factory loads or some of the really hot loads like Garrets or even handloads? --Loads you would never, ever expect an auto to stand up to (or even let in the same room with a Glock)?

Rob96
October 30, 2003, 05:21 AM
The Smith would not set the primers off on some S&B 40sw ammo

I don't know if I would count this as a gun related malfunction, as it was reported that even semi-autos were having a hard time with S&B 40cal ammo. It was stated that it was loaded with very hard primers. Colts were known to go out of time, as their lockwork wasn't the most rugged. Taurus is notorious for light strikes. The Redhawk, you broke the trigger/hammer spring, ok it malfunctioned. I think what Tamara is getting at is semi-autos malfunctioning without broken parts, ie; feed and extraction issues. I have only had one revolver go tang uniform, a 686. It would bind up after a firing a couple cylinders of magnum ammo. I think the problem then when they did the recall, was out of spec cylinders.

MCNETT
October 30, 2003, 01:53 PM
G29 IWB Milt Sparks SS/2
-Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW: Revolver or Semi-Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!