Remington model 58 Sportsman

PDA

SteelyNirvana
May 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yesterday I bought a Remington model 58 in 12 gauge for $100 from a longtime friend of my family. The reason why he was getting of it is because the bolt won't close unless you release the bolt on a empty or fresh shell that's already in the chamber. The extractor that's closest to the bolt handle is pushing inwards which prevents it from getting in it's resting slot but when it's wrapped around a shell it pushes it outwards enough to get in its resting slot, allowing the bolt to close. I'm posting a pic so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. He said he took it to a gunsmith and he said that they would have to make a part to fix it and would cost about $180, so my friend decided based on the age of the gun he'd be better off to buy a new auto-loader, which he did.

I have three questions I need to ask about this gun. 1) Was the gunsmith right about having to make a part or is it a simple fix that I can buy from Brownells or other online gun-shop? 2) My friend said to only shoot lead shot from this gun as it was built before steel came on the market. Can I shoot steel or should I listen to my friend and take it easy and stick with lead? 3) I would like to try to refinish the stock on this myself sometime. Can you recommend a video or good book on the subject so I can get familiar with what it takes and what I need to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Bolt not in battery (empty chamber)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/briancraig81/remington582.jpg

Bolt in battery (shell in chamber)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/briancraig81/remington583.jpg

Pic of gun

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/briancraig81/remington58.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 58 Sportsman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
May 25, 2009, 12:10 PM
I looked it up quickly and found this:

Model 58: The model 58, sometimes referred to as the Sportsman 58, was the first gas operated Remington shotgun. It was introduced in 1956 & discontinued in 1963. It used basically the receiver section of the 870, a modified 870 barrel, and somewhat the marriage of the action slide/forend system of a 11-48 recoil operated gun, converted to make it gas operation. This gun was made in 12, 16 & 20ga 2 3/4" chambering & a separate 12 ga 3" magnum version. The barrel sported a ventilated rib. This model only holds 2 rounds in the magazine as the recoil spring is inside the forward end of this tube. ... Therefore firing pins, extractors, extractor spring & plungers and many of the trigger group parts are the same as for the current model 870.

From this page: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington58_1100.htm

Not sure exactly what has gone wrong with yours but if the gunsmith can't find replacement parts for an 870, he's not much of a gunsmith! LOL!

And, of course, the incomparable Numrich comes through as always: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860zSPT%2058

-Sam (Who is pretty much addicted to fixing up antiquated scatterguns...)

EMC45
May 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
A lot of these parts are interchangeable with modern Remington offerings. I would be very suspect of that "gunsmith". The 58 is a great gun BTW. I had one years back and it gobbled up everything I fed it! It had a Polychoke on it. I would do a complete teardown and detailed cleaning on it and then see what ya got! 100 bucks? Oh yeah I would run the crap out of that thing!

Fred Fuller
May 26, 2009, 03:40 AM
In case you interpret any of the above literally, do yourself a favor and don't detail strip the gun. The trigger plate wasn't made for it, and you can do any cleaning necessary of the trigger plate assembly with hot water and dish soap. Then dry with a hair dryer and re-lube.

I'd suggest pulling the barrel and checking the recess the extrator is supposed to fit into, there may be something in there (weed seeds, etc) forcing it inward. I've seen enough vegetable matter to build a big bird's nest come out of the inside of various Remington pumps and semiautos over the years.

Great deal, great gun, enjoy it in good health!

lpl

Virginian
May 26, 2009, 04:42 AM
Sounds to me like the extractor or possibly the bolt slot for the extractor in the bolt may be worn. Another possibility is that the barrel slot isn't lining up well, but since the 58 uses the ejector for alignment rather than a stud like the 1100 uses, that isn't real likely. To fix a worn bolt could be costly but replacing a bolt or extractor shouldn't be that bad, if you can find a 58 bolt. I think an 1100 bolt will work, and I know you could compare the 58 bolt to an 1100 bolt and tell for sure.
Good luck.

SteelyNirvana
July 10, 2009, 10:43 PM
Just wanted to update this thread.

After some careful looking and thinking, I came up with the conclusion that the plunger was the problem. When I was disassembling the bolt, I pulled the extractor out, but the plunger wouldn't bulge. All the videos I watched on youtube said the plunger should fall right out. I had to take a pair of dykes and cut in a few places and pry it out. I ordered a new plunger from Numrich the other day and today it came. I put the new plunger in and Wolah!, functions like a brand new gun :)

I would like to mention for anyone who has this problem (Maybe your reading this years from now) there's and easy way to tell if the plunger is the problem: The plunger should always be holding pressure on the extractor (In my case it wasn't) and the extractor should always be tipping inwards a bit. If you can take the extractor with your finger, pull it outwards and you don't see the plunger move downwards in it's slot, then it (The plunger) is worn out.

Thanks again to everyone that responded and pointed me in the right area(s) to look.

J_L_A
July 10, 2009, 11:04 PM
Glad you got it fixed!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 58 Sportsman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!