A great day with nature's perfect hunter!

PDA

.45Guy
May 26, 2009, 12:25 AM
I couldn't believe my luck today! I was out for a walk with my fiance, and stumbled across this fledgling great horned owl. It was pretty damn amazing! Hope y'all appreciate the photos.

If you enjoyed reading about "A great day with nature's perfect hunter!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gaiudo
May 26, 2009, 12:53 AM
very cool!

.45Guy
May 26, 2009, 12:54 AM
I couldn't believe it let me get right up to it. I took those pictures with my cell phone at all of a foot away!

armoredman
May 26, 2009, 02:32 AM
Beautiful! If he can learn not to let predators that close again...he'll grow up to be a huge bird.
Thanks!

Smokey Joe
May 26, 2009, 10:21 AM
.45 Guy--Nice happenstance! Glad you had the camera along. About the pix--all I can say is, "Whoo!" :D

41 Mag
May 26, 2009, 10:58 AM
Those are awesome birds for sure. Great shots.

Good thing mom wasn't close by, she might not have appreciated the interest. We had a similar experience once at our place in E. Texas. At first we thought it was injured, and about the time we got close enough to see that it was simply a fledgling, mom about took us out. She was very animate about the fact we leave the area then and now, and didn't seem to care about the windshield on the truck being in her way either.

One of those times I wished the video camera was along.

JJE
May 26, 2009, 11:47 AM
Nice find! The few times I've seen a great horned owl in the wild, they've been suprisingly tolerant of being approached.

countertop
May 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
they've been suprisingly tolerant of being approached

Look at those claws.

And they can fly.

I wouldn't want to tangle with that bird. Gorgeous shots - especially for a cell phone camera. I'd get those transfered to some paper fast.
Looks great

Dr.Rob
May 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
VERY cool.

Momma owls tend to make their claws into fists when they are trying to run off interlopers, someone I know said it's like getting popped with a major league fastball.

CtMarksman
May 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
Man that's crazy. Nice pictures.

The_Dude
May 26, 2009, 10:47 PM
Fully Awesome!

.45Guy
May 27, 2009, 08:28 AM
Look at those claws.

And they can fly.
He definitely wanted to eat my lunch when I got close. After snapping the pictures, we made our way out in the opposite direction.

.45Guy
May 27, 2009, 08:36 AM
Oh yes, and to make this gun related.... I was carrying a 6 1/2" Smith 14-3 in a Don Hume shoulder rig at the time...:D

scotjute
June 4, 2009, 11:37 AM
Are you sure that a "Horned Owl"?
Looks more like a Barn Owl or some such as I don't see horns. Perhaps they haven't developed yet.

Smokey Joe
June 4, 2009, 11:57 AM
Scottjute--The subject of the photos is NOT a Barn Owl. They have a white face, and it extends down to the beak area. Also, the young would be in a cavity (like a barn--they like old barns to nest in, or a hollow tree or such.) The Barn Owl's breast (chest area) is creamy, not striped.

It isn't a Great Grey Owl, either, if the photos were shot in the USA--Great Grays nest further north, and the Great Gray's facial disk around the eyes is larger.

Could possibly, just possibly, be a Barred Owl, but they have vertical striping on the breast, not horizontal striping.

Ergo, all it could be is a Great Horned. You can see where the "horns" (actually ear tufts) are coming, although I'll give you that they aren't there yet. Sometimes they don't show well, even on the adults. And yes, this juvenile is old enough to expect it to look pretty much like an adult.

Titan6
June 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

Grizfire
June 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
Owls are so cool, with their big eyes...they can see straight to your soul.

.45Guy
June 5, 2009, 09:43 AM
Definitely a great horned owl. The ear tufts were there, just not really visible in the photos.

a-sheepdog
June 15, 2009, 01:30 AM
Thats awesome. A beutiful bird of prey.

kit_kat
June 17, 2009, 10:35 AM
Nice catch you got there, sir! Owls fascinate me being nocturnal ones. lol!
And I must agree, it was one lucky day.. =)

.45Guy
June 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have been having good luck seeing critters lately. I just snapped a picture of a sharp shinned hawk that snatched a chipmunk from under the bird feeder at work. I attempted to get a closer shot as he was hopping up and whacking it on the ground with no luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "A great day with nature's perfect hunter!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!