Georgia Arms Ammo

PDA

Travis Bickle
May 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
Is this stuff any good? The price is right, but I'm a little put off by the fact that it's manufactured by people who don't know the difference between "hardy" and "hearty." (http://georgia-arms.com/)

If you enjoyed reading about "Georgia Arms Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
edelbrock
May 27, 2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=448892

SWDoc
May 27, 2009, 11:56 AM
I have shot many thousands of rounds of their canned heat in .40 S&W, 9mm, and .45acp. Several thousand .223, and just started on a can of .380. All FMJ except for one can of .40 Gold Dot (about 1/2 used, works great). The last two orders our group bought were over 20K rounds each (before the real crunch, thank God). No complaints that I heard.

No recent order, but I hear they are behind. Usually tell you the wait on the website.

Steve

hardluk1
May 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have used there products for 15 years and never had a problem. But if you don't like it ,,,,,more for those of use that do.. Good product just slow right now as they like other independent loaders, can;t get enough primers to say up with demand. The big boys keep all the primers they need first, before selling to the rest of those that need them next.

Lone_Gunman
May 27, 2009, 01:22 PM
I like their ammo. But if their grammar offends you, I would encourage you to avoid them. It will leave more ammo for me.

bababooey32
May 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've been waiting about 8 weeks for my first order of 9mm...I was told it will ship this week.

Hungry Seagull
May 27, 2009, 02:16 PM
Forget the Grammar, hit their ammo if you want some shooting.

Georgia Arms has my respect for thier recent experiences and showing good Class and ability to take care of thier Customers. If I understand it, they are among the top 6 of Ammunition makers in the USA.

I myself am biding my time until the primer sitaution catches up and the ammuntion supply for domestic sale stablizes.

Im half tempted to say that they might take a dim view of a tightwad yankee... ah never mind.

Buy your ammuntion as you can get them when you do have it ready to order. A bit of grammar aint "goings" to hurt no one.

kingpin008
May 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
You're "a little put off" about ordering ammo because of a single typo on a webpage? Really?

If so, I'd suggest untwisting your knickers before proceeding with your day - things might get worse from here on out.

c5_nc
May 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
I know many people who are big Georgia Arms fans. They do lots of gunshows in the SE, including our big NC Show every couple months. One of the good things is they will deleiver your order to the show, so you don't have a shipping cost. I think the bad thing is their prices are not that great. I hit walmart frequently and the cost per round of new in small boxes is cheaper than a 1000 case per round. Of course if you can't find it locally and don't have any other choice? The prices for JHP are good in bulk if you need lots of some (for people that want to practice with what they carry). I've heard from AR board that they don't resize any of their brass, and its a issue with their 5.56/223 loads for some AR-15 owners. For that round Walmarts always have the Federal 39.99/100 which is cheaper without shipping, its very easy to find instock around here, AIM gets Centrion for $339/1000 almost weekly, you and often find M193 or M855 for not that much more. Same story with much of what they carry. There booths have been crazy at last two shows, at least 40 people or so inline at all times to checkout.

kanook
May 27, 2009, 03:26 PM
Strong; firm; compact, websters dictionary. sounds right to me. :D

Travis Bickle
May 27, 2009, 03:46 PM
Strong; firm; compact, websters dictionary. sounds right to me.

I've never seen the word "hardy" used in the way they used it; I'm certain they meant "hearty."

In any case, they evidently also don't know that "showroom" is all one word (http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx).

I really don't mean to sound like a snob, but we're talking about small explosive canisters that are going to be going off a few inches from my face. I just want to make sure that this isn't some fly-by-night hillbilly operation that's going to leave me missing an eye or something.

JohnBT
May 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
Being a satisfied customer for the past 10 or 15 years or so, I am very happy that they stick to reloading and don't spend of lot of their time sitting around reading the gol-dern dictionary. Did I spell gol-dern correctly?

John

TurboFC3S
May 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
Georgia Arms is definately GTG ... I've shot a ton with 0 problems.

flying_gage
May 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
Spoke with one of their receptionists yesterday and I was told that they are at 10 weeks for delivery. Good customer service. Can't wait to shoot the stuff.

I could try and buy the occasional box at wal mart when it comes in for a cheaper price, but $130 for 500 rounds of .40 ain't so bad.

kingpin008
May 27, 2009, 05:06 PM
I really don't mean to sound like a snob, but we're talking about small explosive canisters that are going to be going off a few inches from my face. I just want to make sure that this isn't some fly-by-night hillbilly operation that's going to leave me missing an eye or something.

Not to be a jerk, but you kinda are coming off as one.

What does a few typos on a page have to do with their ability to manufacture ammuntion? My father has a Master's Degree, and he routinely misspells "experience". A few grammatical mistakes doesn't make you a hillbilly.

Mags
May 27, 2009, 05:52 PM
In any case, they evidently also don't know that "showroom" is all one word.

Just so you know they are not in the grammar buisness They manufacture ammo I didn't know you had to spell real good to make ammo. Just keep the insults coming on us folks south of the mason Dixon. Georgia Ammo is good stuff.

JWF III
May 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
Just because you are sounding a bit snobish:evil:, I'll copy and paste the reply that I gave to you the other place you asked this question.

I'm a little put off by the fact that it's manufactured by people who don't know the difference between "hardy" and "hearty."

Hey, if their knowledge of the English Language is not enough for you to buy from them. That would be fine with me. That just keeps their prices that much lower, and keeps that much more ammo on their shelves/tables. They know how to load good ammo, that's all I need to know. I guess you wouldn't buy a 30 round magazine for $5 just because it's marked "clip". (At least that refers to their firearm knowledge a little.)

And as far as the "most of their stuff is reloads" comment. If you look through their site (or their tables at a show), anything marked "new" is loaded in new brass and priced accordingly. Everything else is loaded to the same specs in once fired brass (some pistols may be more than once, how many nobody knows).

Wyman

hardluk1
May 27, 2009, 08:10 PM
Best thang here is if you dunt like there spel'n go somewhere else. Dat way us rednecks gots some where to gets our ammo. Dang ,for got my spell checker.. I can from time to time get a box or three of ammo at a price for what i pay or maybe a bit less but at this point it just ain't worth it. You more than likely will end up with different brands and bullet wieghts or profiles. I do know prices have gone up again about 20 bucks a 1000 for 9mm and 40s&w but all the darn compontents have gone up to soooooo, that life atleast for now.

John Wayne
May 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
I bought a "canned heat" 500 round can of .40 S&W from them. It is good stuff, all mine was nickeled brass and maybe one round out of the lot that I didn't feel comfortable using because of a large dent in the case. It all shot very well.

It used to be the cheapest route to go...now prices (after shipping) are about like Wal-Mart. With GA you still get the free ammo can though.

John Wayne
May 27, 2009, 08:31 PM
I bought a "canned heat" 500 round can of .40 S&W from them. It is good stuff, all mine was nickeled brass and maybe one round out of the lot that I didn't feel comfortable using because of a large dent in the case. It all shot very well.

It used to be the cheapest route to go...now prices (after shipping) are about like Wal-Mart. With GA you still get the free ammo can though.

ozarkhillbilly
May 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
I would trust a hillbilly more when it comes to firearms then most other folks. Do you mean to be insulting or is it a lack of education that leads you to believe that it is ok to insult people.

Georgia Ammo is good stuff.

Dogbite
May 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
I live about 20 minutes from their factory. I have shot a bunch of their ammo. Its good to go.

Gtone
May 27, 2009, 09:24 PM
I love their stuff. Hope they make it back up here for a show soon. Need to restock on some .38 cowboy loads. (like the rest of the world)

The_Shootist
May 27, 2009, 11:16 PM
Big fan of their version of the FBI load - shot a couple thousand rounds of that as a practice substitute to my carry load (BB Standard pressure .38s). It fits that niche very nicely without breaking the bank.

Accurate and reliable, only reason I haven't ordered from them recently is I like to go to the range once a week - not once a quarter. Like everybody else, they are swamped with orders. Heck, I remember the good old days when I could order online Sunday night and Brown would have the order at my door by Wed/Thurs.

Using a different perspective - do you really think they would be a couple of mos behind if they were turning out a crummy product? :D

sernv99
May 27, 2009, 11:56 PM
10mm ammo is taking about 6 weeks, my order is due tomorrow. I have used their 308 ammo without problems.

Waibaddayu
May 28, 2009, 04:47 AM
Them's "Hillbilly's" were instrumental in getting the order for spent government brass to be destroyed rescinded! They immediately contacted their politicians and breathed fire down their necks, and about a week later, the brass was saved! Did they do this out of the goodness of their hearts? Heck no! Like any "fly-by-night" operation, they buy spent brass in massive quantities, in order to produce high quality, affordable ammunition in bulk quantities, such as their "Canned Heat" line of ammo. Surf teh internets, and check almost any firearm related site, and you'll uncover a whole mess o' dem grammar hillbilly's out dea, ya hea? :what:

TEC
May 28, 2009, 05:10 AM
I have received about 6 different orders from them since Thanksgiving. GA seems to be a good source of quality ammo. I was referred to their site by a friend who is a retired range master for FN weapons testing. Canned heat in .308 & .45 auto has been reliable, but I have only shot relatively small quantities -- the rest is stored. I rate them AAA as an on-line dealer.

Travis Bickle
May 28, 2009, 05:33 AM
Them's "Hillbilly's" were instrumental in getting the order for spent government brass to be destroyed rescinded!

Damn you, Cletus, it's "gub'mint," not "government." You tryin' ta git above yo' raisin', boy? ;)

Lone_Gunman
May 28, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think you just ought to pass on Georgia Arms, considering your poor attitude you have.

Travis Bickle
May 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
do you really think they would be a couple of mos behind if they were turning out a crummy product?

Maybe. In this market, even Jimenez Arms is probably two weeks behind.:D

hardluk1
May 28, 2009, 03:19 PM
Travis bickel It would be ridicules for you to order from Georgia arms now soooo, BY. Go to your local dealer or wally world and order what you want and be happy.

PPGMD
May 28, 2009, 05:03 PM
I've shot a ton of their ammo, it's not bad, the OAL is pretty low which causes problems in SMGs and pistol caliber carbines. But I dislike the price right now, they are charging new ammo prices for reloaded ammo.

Oro
May 28, 2009, 05:12 PM
I thought we actually had a War and it was demonstrated that hillbilly's were pretty good with guns.

That said, a web site says a lot about your business and attention to detail. Spelling errors and grammar mistakes shouldn't be there; but I try not to let that get in the way of judging them just based on that. I think Travis was asking more for an endorsement and opinion of them since he knew naught about them.

I'm glad to see this thread; someone just offered me 100 rds of their .44magnum in trade for some .40 I have. Should be fun to test it - it sounds pretty, um, "warm."

Average Joe
May 28, 2009, 07:17 PM
Spelling errors ? Who cares, I shoot bullets, not words.

Mike J
May 28, 2009, 07:20 PM
Travis Bickle-I would first like to inform you that I have used GA Arms .40 caliber "New" ammunition & it worked just fine. Everything they sell is plus P though.
Secondly I would like to say that if you didn't intend to come off like a snob maybe you should take a look at your attitudes. Sometimes we are unaware of our prejudices until they are pointed out by others. Intelligence & education are two different things & they do not always coexist.

springmom
May 28, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would trust a hillbilly more when it comes to firearms then most other folks. Do you mean to be insulting or is it a lack of education that leads you to believe that it is ok to insult people.

Georgia Ammo is good stuff.

Wow, it's been a long time since this Ozarks gal has even SEEN the word "hillbilly" as an insult. :scrutiny:

Since you're so sensitive to their spelling and grammar, by all means, I strongly encourage you to boycott them. It leaves more for me.

Sheesh.

Jan

saddlebum
May 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
nevermind

JWF III
May 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
they are charging new ammo prices for reloaded ammo.

I don't know what calibers you're looking at. I've been studying .38 Spec/.357 Mag. (pretty much set everywhere else). 1000 rounds of 158 gr LRNFP .38 special (reloads) for $210. $10.50 per 50 rounds. I haven't seen new ammo at that price since the early 90s. The same load in new cases is $270/1000. Or $13.50 per 50. It's been since the mid 90s that I've seen those prices.

I have an old box of Win USA, .38 Spec. 130 gr. FMJ with a price tag of $12.99 still stuck to it. That box is from '93 to '95.

Please tell me where you are getting new manufacture ammo for those prices these days. I'll be there Monday, with my truck ready to empty the bank accounts.

Wyman

SquirrelNuts
May 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
Forget the typo. It is great ammo.

PPGMD
May 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
Please tell me where you are getting new manufacture ammo for those prices these days. I'll be there Monday, with my truck ready to empty the bank accounts.

Walmart. You have to either call every day, or stop by regularly, but they have 9mm for $180 a case, while GA Arms cost $240 per a case.

frankd4
May 28, 2009, 09:43 PM
Great Ammo made by Americans at a fare price I use them they have never let me down.

btg3
May 28, 2009, 09:48 PM
They done me gooder'n most, an' I'll be buyin' from 'em agin!

SouthronBoy
May 28, 2009, 10:42 PM
What the Hell's wrong with being a hillbilly, anyway?

You may not be trying to come across as a snob, but you've certainly succeeded.

hso
May 28, 2009, 10:54 PM
I just want to make sure that this isn't some fly-by-night hillbilly operation that's going to leave me missing an eye or something.

Georgia Arms is a well respected manufacturer/remanufacturer of ammunition that has been in business for years. It has thousands of satisfied customers. Their quality control is excellent as is the value of the ammunition they sell.

Considering the endorsements from members with direct experience with them I hope you're satisfied that you may safely buy from them without regard to the imperfect proof reading on their website (properly spelled incorrect words are a phenomenon many of us have seen since the advent of spell check).

If there are no value ammunition sources in the SW that you can solicit testimonials for you may have to resort to purchasing from these poor illiterates.

Please note my location. :evil:

Lone_Gunman
May 28, 2009, 11:20 PM
For future reference, calling white people in the south "hillbillies" is a lot like calling black people the "N" word.

maxsnafu
May 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
Is this stuff any good? The price is right, but I'm a little put off by the fact that it's manufactured by people who don't know the difference between "hardy" and "hearty." (http://georgia-arms.com/)

I wouldn't buy from them unless they demonstrated competency in the use
of semicolons.

Travis Bickle
May 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
It would be ridicules for you to order from Georgia arms now

Why?

Lone_Gunman
May 29, 2009, 11:47 PM
Why?

Because you are worried that they don't make good ammo, since there are typos on their webpage.

hardluk1
May 30, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think travis bickle forgot all about his first post and the whine'n about grammer.

Hungry Seagull
May 30, 2009, 08:39 PM
And think of the licking they give you the first time you sprout the word "Ain't" back home in "Bal-mo"....

It aint right that such a respected Ammuntion Factory get such bad greetings because of some things they AINT got round to yet.

indiandave
May 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
I make my own ammunition and I can't spell very good either. I do a good job at reloading and I think Geargia arms does also. Although they should get someone to proof read their website.;)

41magsnub
June 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm on week 9 waiting on 1000rds of .40s&w. Hopefully it gets here soon.

Everything I've bought from them in the past has been flawless, first time on .40 from them but I can't see how it would be any different.

HGUNHNTR
June 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
I can understand why the poor grammar may put you off. Often it is a reflection of intelligence and/or the way the rest of the business is run, attention to detail is very important to me especially when it comes to reloading ammo. I'm am not saying it is always an indication of intelligence, but people make judgements based on the information they have.

bababooey32
June 5, 2009, 05:02 PM
Juts received by "Canned Heat" - 1000 rds of 9mm 124g FMJ plus 200 124g +P Gold Dot hollow points. Took about 9 weeks. I e-mailed week 8 and got the ammo a week later.

Haven't been to the range with it yet, so I can't comment on how it shoots...

hso
June 5, 2009, 11:27 PM
bababooey32,

You should be happy with it.

As said by those of us with actual experience in dealing with Georgia Arms, their quality is first rate and their customer service has always been exceptional.

I have bought thousands of rounds from them and never had a problem.

Uncle Bruiser
June 6, 2009, 12:32 AM
I bought some GA 9mm JHP +P marked "new" on the bag at the last gun show in Marietta but the cases were used. I would have appreciated a little more honesty but at $18.50 for 50 I can't complain too much. It's a good defensive round. It certainly didn't discourage the Asian banger in the line in front of me who bought 2k rounds and stuffed them into surplus ammo boxes. The gangs in Atlanta love GA ammo. And being a transplanted East Tennessee boy, I take pride in being called "hillbilly". It leaves no doubt about my country of origin.

stickhauler
June 6, 2009, 12:51 AM
I have always felt the names "hillbilly" or "redneck" as a badge of honor, and I resemble both of those names. Remember, those city folks always poke fun at us until they need help when their car breaks down. I can't understand the problem with a mis-spelled word on a website, or a grammar error, I guess in the brave new world of the Obamabots it's an issue.

From talks I've had with folks who work there, they manufacture ammo for a lot of law enforcement agencies, if they make good enough stuff for the cops, it's good enough for me to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Georgia Arms Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!