.22 skyline shots?

PDA

cowmeateater
May 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
There are millions of grackles and starlings flying about the trees and the urge to shoot them out of the tree with my .22 lr is close to irresistable. So how deadly are these little bullets? The nearest neighbors are 5 miles away at least. Its in a big valley enclosed by huge hills im pretty sure they wont ever go over the skyline. What im worried about is a bullet dropping down on top of livestock (bovines). Will the falling lead hurt them? Im thinking it will just bounce off them cause it probably wouldnt penetrate them if you shot right at them from that kind of distance. I try not to shoot in their direction but they pretty much surround the place.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 skyline shots?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lipadj46
May 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Pellet rifle instead?

Arbor
May 27, 2009, 11:09 PM
.22LR will not go 5 miles. It is dangerous around 2, though.

Uncle Mike
May 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
... Hope someone isn't poking around closer than 5 miles on that day. :D

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
Do live in Huntersville, NC? If you answered no to this question then you will be fine, otherwise no. :D Of course others may have a differing opinion on this. At 5mi. you will be fine, but there is always a chance that someone could stumble out there and inadvertently get shot. Why not use a shotgun (or pellet-gun) instead?

Uncle Mike
May 28, 2009, 12:30 AM
I know what this guy means, we did this very nonsense as kids, but we lived waaaay out in the country.

Our only neighbors were way far away, and even if they did stray close....
oh well, dude still owes me cash.....:neener:

Please be careful! :D

longdayjake
May 28, 2009, 12:33 AM
If youre going to use a .22 then buy the birdshot loads. I shot pest birds for my grandma all the time out on her farm with .22 birdshot. It works really well.

Clifford
May 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
You can buy new a .410 single shot for about $110. I would think that would be a safer way to go.

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 01:23 AM
King G. that is definitely a interesting way to remedy the situation, but I can't say that I have tried it. I'll give you points for originality though.

Uncle Mike
May 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
Aint nothin' like blowin' up a crackle with a high speed 40gr. hollow point!:what:

woof
May 28, 2009, 06:11 AM
A .22 at that distance will do more damage than a similar size piece of sleet or hail. Google terminal velocity.

LAK
May 28, 2009, 06:51 AM
High angle shots only will mean your bullets are free falling on the way down. That, and use tree trunks for backstops with careful shooting, and low angled shots with good visible backgrounds over the distance to ground. Air rifle pellets are much cheaper than any .22 cartridges though.

Iansstud
May 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
Get some Agula Super Colibri sp? you can get a brick of 500 for about 25$.... they are also almost silent.... make sure you get the "super" ones @500fps, as they make a non-super that is only 250fps

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 12:25 PM
Get some Agula Super ColibriThat's not a bad idea either, good stuff, and dead silent.

rcmodel
May 28, 2009, 01:27 PM
Don't take the chance.

A .22 LR shot at about 45 degrees or less will remain ballistically stable and fly point first until it hits something. It will go about 1 mile at 45 degree departure.
It will have enough remaining velocity to injure a cow at that range or less.

The Aguila Super Colbri is the best recommendation so far.
Deadly on starlings as far as you can hit them and very little danger of collateral damage past a couple hundred yards at most.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=L0GAWXSROJUDZLAQBBKSCNNMCAEFAIWE?id=0029401214245a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1200103&cm_ite=0029401214245a&_requestid=47330

CCI CB caps are also excellent.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=638772

Don't even bother trying .22RF bird or snake shot.
They will not kill a starling beyond 5-10 yards at most.

rc

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
Nearest house is 5 miles away? Use a .338 lapua on them.

Seriously, the .410 shotgun is a great idea. But a .22lr is a good one too.

I would be extremely unlikely that a cow would be hurt.

Sniper X
May 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
Colibre .22 in .30gr....no powder, but will whack a bird or rabbit at less than a couple hundred feet, and will never go more than about 500M even if held at a 45 degree angle. I shot at a VW bus shell way out in the country a few shots that was about 200M away and had to hold about 20ft over. I did hit it but the bullet took a while to get there, I could finish half my sandwhich before i heard it hit the MicroBus.

ghoster
May 28, 2009, 02:01 PM
grew up on a dairy farm.

had .22 since i was 11.:)

shot grackels by the hundreds.:D

only injured 1 cow, damn #9 liked to knock the fence down and wander off.
i just plain shot her from about 400 yd after the millionth time i had to go look for her, raised a welt but didnt even bleed.:eek:

the lump on my head dad gave me took longer to heal than her welt.:evil:

shoot the bejesus out of them.

Dr.Rob
May 28, 2009, 02:27 PM
Ever try a stuffed owl?

I hear they work wonders.

gunsandreligion
May 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
You can buy new a .410 single shot for about $110. I would think that would be a safer way to go.Around where I live last I checked a box of 25 410 rounds was $12 and 25 12 gauge rounds was like $6.50 so Its probebly cheaper to use a 12 than a 410. and you can get a brand new rossi single 12 for $100 or $90 on sale

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 02:49 PM
Don't take the chance.RC, I agree with everything you said. The CBs are good, the colibris are better, and the snake shot wont do anything at all. The best route IMO is to use a good old scattergun though. Easy to hit a small bird with, and past a few hundred feet won't harm a thing.

Mike U.
May 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
And, where's the fun in putting up a stuffed owl?!:p:)
If you have no one within 5 miles of you and your cows aren't tripping over each from huge herd numbers, have fun. Try some Velocitors. Try some Winchester HV Xperts or 333's on those starlings.

Might wanna locate all the ranch hands before ya do go shooting, though.

Pics if you have them, please!:D

Uncle Mike
May 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
H3!! yea... Blast those grackles!

But you really should try to minimize your collateral damage.... you could hit one of those cows in the eye...
What if that goes in your dads eye... then what? :evil:

BE CAREFUL!

rcmodel
May 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm amazed at how many THR members are blowing off one of the basic rules of gun safety.

Know your target, and beyond.

For all we know, the Wood Nymphs girls soccer team is playing rugby in the woods 3/4 mile away when you pot at the starling in the tree with a .22 LR.

You might shoot their eye out!

BTW: A one-eyed Wood Nymph is a pitiful sight.

rc

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
BTW: A one-eyed Wood Nymph is a pitiful sight.LOL, but RC you have it easy...all you have to do is go in a steep dive after em' with one of your planes. :D

Uncle Mike
May 28, 2009, 06:01 PM
HAHAHA iced tea through the nostrils....

A one eyed Wood Nymph... I'm going to have dreams about that...:neener:

ambidextrous1
May 28, 2009, 06:25 PM
How about bird bombs? They're about as loud as an M80 (also an option) and labeled "for use in protection of crops from birds"; a local farmer can tell you where to buy them; and it's an easy matter to plant them in the tree and detonate them electrically when the birds gather.:cool:

Gryffydd
May 28, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have a very accurate Marlin .22 LR bolt action. The Super Colibris group about 6" at 50'. CB Shorts group < 1/2" Plus, the thing holds 25 CB Shorts :evil:

I can literally watch the Colibris wander off course through my scope. Some people seem to report good accuracy from them though, so they're worth at least a try. But start with a box of 50, not 500. The CBs are louder, but not by a whole lot.

Maverick223
May 28, 2009, 06:42 PM
I can literally watch the Colibris wander off course through my scope.I agree they are not the most accurate loads, but they are minute of little birdy at 10yds.

dmazur
May 29, 2009, 01:15 AM
I don't take "skyline" shots at grouse in trees with a .22, due to the concern of where the round goes if I miss.

Because so many of the durn things fly up from the edge of the road and land in a nearby tree, I've switched to hunting them with a .410 with #9 shot. I'm reasonably sure this isn't going to carry as far as a .22LR...

(It is legal to hunt forest grouse with a rifle in Washington State, but that doesn't mean every opportunity you get is a safe shot to take. Especially if you're trying to shoot one with a deer rifle.)

Maverick223
May 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
The optimal angle is about 22 degrees if you're shooting for distance.Your off a digit...but correct in concept...it's 32 degrees...trust me on this I'm still an Engineer. :D

22-rimfire
May 30, 2009, 12:06 AM
I understand how tempting the target is. I would not do it unless I was sure of my backstop. I feel the same way about squirrel hunting and shooting out of tree tops with a 22. Better to use a shotgun even though it is a different kind of fun.

CZguy
May 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
I understand how tempting the target is. I would not do it unless I was sure of my backstop. I feel the same way about squirrel hunting and shooting out of tree tops with a 22. Better to use a shotgun even though it is a different kind of fun.

I agree with this completely. Plus 1.

scythefwd
May 30, 2009, 02:08 AM
IF they are anything like the crows at my old mans farm... you will just end up breeding a smarter and more annoying bird :) He has trained the birds to take off after he comes out of the house the second time.

First time he comes out (or gets out of the car) they sit in the yard and caw at him.

Second time... some fly away, the others meet Mr. Mossberg and his little friend birdshot.

The smarter ones survive, the idiot ones die. I'll have to tell him about the bottle rocket solution :)

Maverick223
May 30, 2009, 02:12 AM
First time he comes out (or gets out of the car) they sit in the yard and caw at him.

Second time... some fly away, the others meet Mr. Mossberg and his little friend birdshot. Solution: Carry Mr. Mossy out with you. :D

scythefwd
May 30, 2009, 03:11 AM
Maverick,
He lives in IL. He would have cops problems if he went to get his mail with a shotgun (neighbors are prats). He usually doesn't just step out of the house without a purpose. When he does surprise the crows by taking Mr. M out on the first trip, he gets more of them... but they are starting to recognize the shotgun now :(

He does live on a farm, but the mailbox is on the road that serves as the city line. It wouldn't be illegal, but it would be a hassle to get the mail with Mr. M. The "neighbors" already throw fits when he shoots in the yard.

woof
May 30, 2009, 06:55 AM
Mythbusters did a segment on whether bullets fired into the air could kill you when they fell. The answer is no. A bullet fired up into the air will climb until its momentum is exhausted then fall. Its speed of all will be limited by terminal velocity. Test showed that being struck by a bullet (and these were much larger than .22s) would certainly hurt but not produce a serious wound. The exception is a high velocity bullet fired up at an angle and which strikes a target BEFORE its initial momentum has been exhausted and therefore before its velocity is limited to terminal velocity due to gravity. They cited a man who was killed by a stray .30-06 round from 2 miles.

This is not to say .22LRs should be shot in the air with no concern, that is crazy. All that has been said about safety and backdrops is true. But if the OP really has nothing within 5 miles, wherever his bullet falls it will be a terminal speed and will not harm anything bigger than a robin and then only if it hits it on the head.

Maverick223
May 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
scythe, I was joking, nobody wants to carry a shotgun out with them every time they step out.
Mythbusters did a segment on whether bullets fired into the air could kill you when they fell. The answer is no.That is only with the gun pointed straight up, any cant and the bullet will remain stable and retain energy, and therefore it can be deadly when angled, even slightly.

Art Eatman
May 30, 2009, 11:25 AM
Seems to me that if the bullet could leave your property, you don't take a chancy shot. If you know that in no way could the bullet "trespass", do what you think's righteous.

Had a really big bunch of grackles settle into a small oak tree in my front yard, one time. Stepped out with the wife's 20-gauge. Created a rainstorm of falling grackles. Felt smug.

And then, and then, and then: Double that number of grackles came for the eulogies. I figured that what I had was a losing proposition. I went back inside. Who needs the progression of 1-2-4-8? I figured a remake of Hitchcock's "Birds" was not the key to happiness.

But they all left after the funeral service, and via my tactical wheelbarrow I hauled the dozen or so ruined grackles off to the pasture.

Uncle Mike
May 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
:D Hey... just make sure you hit the damn bird... that'll slow up the bullet, it falls short, no wood nymphs wondering around with one eye put out and your down 1 less aggravating black bird! :D hehehe

rcmodel
May 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
Your off a digit...but correct in concept...it's 32 degrees...Actually you are both wrong.

And I'm not an engineer.
But I did read Hatcher's Notebook while staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Maximum range firing angle depends on the ballistic coefficient of the projectile, and the speed it is fired at.

A large cannon shell will reach it's maximum range at or near a 45 degree firing angle.

A small arms bullet will reach it's maximum range at a firing angle of 29 degrees, up 35 degrees.
The exact figure for a .30 cal boat-tail 174 grain bullet is 34 degrees 42 minutes.

rc

Maverick223
May 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
Actually you are both wrong.I don't doubt it, that is the optimal distance for a spherical object taking into account the curvature of the earth, wind resistance, gravity. The bullet with the greatest BC will have the lowest optimal angle of departure relative to the horizontal plane.

Uncle Mike
May 30, 2009, 03:58 PM
How in h311 did we go from blastin' grackles to launching cruise missles?!?!
lol hehehe :neener:

Maverick223
May 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
How in h311 did we go from blastin' grackles to launching cruise missles?Good question, I'm going outside and shoot some birdies. :D

Uncle Mike
May 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
On the way- :D

Schleprok62
May 30, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm amazed at how many THR members are blowing off one of the basic rules of gun safety.

Know your target, and beyond.

Well, I have to agree witht this... 100%, no if's, and's, or but's... especially when my dad drove this into my head like a railroad spike... (figuratively).

Now, for the sake of curiosity... how about a .22 Short?? What kind of range do they have? I'm sure they're hot enough to take a bird, but how far will one carry and still be "dangerous" to the Wood Nymphs Soccer team????

RC??

Cheers...

rcmodel
May 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hatcher says a .22LR at 1,145 FPS has a max range of 1500 yards, or .85 mile.

No mention of .22 HS Shorts at 1,132 FPS.
However, I would assume at least a half mile or more. Velocity is there but the bullets BC isn't as good.

rc

Maverick223
May 30, 2009, 09:16 PM
how about a .22 Short?? What kind of range do they have?Here is a chart I stole...The data appears to be old (a lot of popular cartridges missing) but there is enough info to allow you to fill in the details to get a rough estimate for about any cartridge...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/HowFar.jpg

frankthetank
May 31, 2009, 01:44 AM
what i do is go to homedepot and get some blank rounds for those ramsets and then just pop off a few of those it sound like a m-1000 firecracker............. trust me i live in the burbs if i can get way with it you can

frank

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 skyline shots?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!