Got pulled over today...

PDA

joejoeshooter
May 28, 2009, 01:37 AM
handed my DL and carry permit to the officer and told him that I had a weapon in the car. He asked where it was - I told him under my right arm. He said "thanks for letting me know and I'll be right back." He came back and handed me my insurance papers, registration, permit and DL. Told me thanks and be careful. I asked him if I handled it correctly and he said "text book and thanks"

By the way - I was not cited for expired tags (my on fault of course) or running red light.

I'm pretty sure my carry permit got me out of trouble today.

jjs

For the record: In Tennessee you must notify LEO that your carrying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got pulled over today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ghh3rd
May 28, 2009, 01:41 AM
Boy Scout uniforms work well too :-)

psyopspec
May 28, 2009, 01:41 AM
Egads, those are two expensive tickets you got out of. You'll hear a variety of opinions in your thread - I personally notify by handing over CCW permit with DL EXCEPT in jurisdictions where I've had less than appreciative reactions. My thinking is that I know the cops are armed, in fairness they get to know that I am too. Most appreciate it.

My experiences may not be as relevant as they once were; I haven't been pulled over for a couple years now.

peyton
May 28, 2009, 01:44 AM
You did fine, I had similiar experience, "officer I am a CCW and armed what do you want me to do"?? By nature it is good not to do anything that excites or makes police nervous. Now get your vehicle tags updated.

sherman123
May 28, 2009, 01:44 AM
That's how I got "made" after almost a year of carrying without people knowing. Got pulled over with a couple friends and had to explain where it was when he asked if any of us had weapons.

ccsniper
May 28, 2009, 01:45 AM
i never had understood why people put up threads like this.

Ragnar Danneskjold
May 28, 2009, 01:45 AM
This has been my experience as well, and I've been pulled over a fair amount of times while carrying. No tickets for any of them. I think having a carry permit and volunteering to show it tells the cop that you're not really looking to break the law or do something underhanded. This I think causes them to give you the benefit of the doubt and issue a warning more than a ticket.

DAVIDSDIVAD
May 28, 2009, 02:55 AM

I'll never understand why people make posts like yours.
Unlike your post, the thread has a purpose.

In Texas, we are required to inform an officer that requests ID.

As you can imagine, this leads to "What should I do/ what did you do/ what should I expect" from novice carriers like myself.

It's very nice to read other people's experiences.

2RCO
May 28, 2009, 03:27 AM
I had a local LEO tell me that the cops around here see CCW's as the cream of the crop of the population. --Generally if someone is a thug or miscreant they aren't gonna be stupid enough to volunteer to get printed and have their background checked. This might have something to do with the warning tickets etc.. Although everywhere in America isn't like this. I'm pretty sure their are plenty of places that showing a CCW permit will get you nothing but trouble.

It really depends on the individual LEO and his/her personal views. Cops are good people for the most part--sure their are jerks but what field doesn't have jerks working in it.

jim in Anchorage
May 28, 2009, 03:45 AM
I had a local LEO tell me that the cops around here see CCW's as the cream of the crop of the population. --Generally if someone is a thug or miscreant they aren't gonna be stupid enough to volunteer to get printed and have their background checked. This might have something to do with the warning tickets etc.. Although everywhere in America isn't like this. I'm pretty sure their are plenty of places that showing a CCW permit will get you nothing but trouble.

It really depends on the individual LEO and his/her personal views. Cops are good people for the most part--sure their are jerks but what field doesn't have jerks working in it.

I agree-I don't NEED a CC in Alaska,but cops have told me "it just shows your one of the good guys"

230RN
May 28, 2009, 03:50 AM
Yep. 45 in a 25 zone for me.

Not braggin', just factulatin'.

Upshot: "Defective Vehicle." (No points, no record on license.)

Officer was cool when I handed DL and CCW over: "I'll have you on your way in a few minutes, sir," and handed back my CCW.

First time I've been stopped in 25 years.

So now I know.

Ticket should have been for "Defective Driver."

Terry, 230RN

cassandrasdaddy
May 28, 2009, 06:43 AM

possibly to balance out the posts from a variety of folks whose second cousins best friend wasn't doing a darned thing when the jbt's jacked him up . see prison planet/infowars/newsmax for details

TAB
May 28, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty sure my carry permit got me out of trouble today.

You should be pissed not happy.

Having a CCW should never effect the judgment of a LEO.

mcdonl
May 28, 2009, 08:35 AM

I would say it was the OP's honesty and openness that the LEO took into consideration, not the fact he had a CCW.

The glass is half full TAB....

HKUSP45C
May 28, 2009, 08:51 AM

Everything affects the judgement of someone in a position to use professional discretion, regardless of their vocation.

If you really want all police officers to be mindless automatons doing only what is exactly proscribed by the law in all situations well, I hope that works out for you .... someplace besides the country and\or state I live in, preferrably.

Police officers can very often choose how they are going to handle a particular situation based on a wide array of "personal" criteria. I wouldn't really want it any other way.

To the OP:

Glad it worked out for ya ... now stop breaking the law ;)

TAB
May 28, 2009, 09:28 AM
enforcing the law on personal feelings violates the USCONS in so many ways its not even funny.

I'd much rather have a officer write a ticket to every one, then not write tickets to a single group...

raskolnikov_22
May 28, 2009, 09:45 AM
I've been pulled over a couple times since I got my permit (for not using my blinker). The second time I wasn't armed, so I didn't hand him my permit. Nevertheless he glimpsed it in my wallet and asked if I had a gun. No, I said. No big deal, but now I give them the permit regardless.

Racinfan83
May 28, 2009, 09:59 AM
I believe in MO the CCW permit is actually ON your Driver's Liscense. SO - you better let the officer know right off the bat. The only thing with that is - it is also legal in MO to carry concealed in your vehicle WITHOUT a CCW permit. I still think it would be a VERY good idea to inform the officer right off the bat so that he knows the situation.

TAB enforcing the law on personal feelings violates the USCONS in so many ways its not even funny.

I'd much rather have a officer write a ticket to every one, then not write tickets to a single group...

This makes no sense. What you want is a bunch of "Terminator Robots" running around in Police uniforms. People have, and will always have, personal feelings - no matter how you think it should be. I look at it like this - you want to be part of the "in" group - then join it. If you don't - then don't complain. If being a CCW holder gets you a few favorable decisions by officers - then get one. What you are saying is that people should get a ticket whether they cuss out the cop from the time he pulls them over - OR if they are nice, polite and respectful. People aren't robots, and they will ALWAYS be more inclined to be nice and respectful to someone that is nice and respectful toward them.....

runrabbitrun
May 28, 2009, 10:10 AM
Although I wouldn't disclose unless my state's law says I have to.
I think it's always best to treat others
as you would like to be treated.

Cops are people too and sometimes
a little mutual respect can go a long way.
This incident saved the OP some dough and points on his DL too.
That's a good thing.

This situation could of ended up with OP on the ground too I suppose.
But it didn't, so this stop was a good stop, everyone went home to their families and all is well.

Good to hear good stories some days ain't it? :)

7X57chilmau
May 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm Canadian, so CCW isn't an option for me. I've been pulled over for various things a half dozen times in my 15 years of driving.

In EVERY encounter, simply treating the officer to friendly respect has gotten me off with just a warning.

Generally, unless the cop's simply having a "bad day", respect and friendliness goes a LONG way.

To me, the OP showed at least as much respect as he did CCW card.

J

CoRoMo
May 28, 2009, 10:45 AM
I've been carrying long enough that I often forget that I have a loaded pistol with me at all times. I've never informed the LEO who pulled me over simply because my mind was on the traffic stop and not my carry gun. I don't get pulled over much at all though. One time, the LEO noticed my gun and asked me about it and that was the point when I realized that, Oh yeah. It was in fact there with me like always. Oops.

TexasRifleman
May 28, 2009, 10:51 AM

I think it comes from the constant barrage from most of the media and the anti's that somehow we are "bad people" for having guns and need to be treated differently since we're "dangerous".

When someone encounters "the man" and is treated like a normal human, with the gun being no big deal, it's kind of a surprise. We're constantly hearing about how the gun is such an evil thing, it's a shock to many to find out that it's really not that big a deal to most people, even LE.

snorky18
May 28, 2009, 10:54 AM

Has this law changed recently?

Reason I ask is that it contradicts what I recall learning when I first got my permit in TN several years back.

It also contradicts this:
http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

tn-dave
May 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Quote:

Has this law changed recently?

Reason I ask is that it contradicts what I recall learning when I first got my permit in TN several years back.

It also contradicts this:
http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

I agree snorky. Pretty sure TN is not a "shall inform" state.

After a little more research 99.9% sure TN is not a "shall inform" state :)
"carry permit" will show up after the officer runs your DL but not your tag.

danprkr
May 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
enforcing the law on personal feelings violates the USCONS in so many ways its not even funny.

This idea leads us to zero tolerance which you have but to read the news for more than 2 hours to know leads to zero thought, and from there to outrageous punishments for minor infractions. For instance: asthmatic student A loaning asthmatic student B his inhaler (same inhaler) because B's inhaler was out when B had an attack. Suddenly A is a drug dealer in the eyes of the school system, and punished the same as the corner crack dealer. Is that really the type of zero thought you want out of our police?

amd6547
May 28, 2009, 12:33 PM
I have a good driving record, but I got caught last summer doing 45 in a 25 zone. When the officer informed me of the reason for stop, I replied "You got me fair and square, that's how fast I was going".
He went back to his car and checked me out. When he came back, he said he was issuing a warning, and thanked me for my honesty. He said he gets tired of people arguing that they weren't speeding.
I wished him a good day and thanked him.
Honesty is the best policy.

Rickstir
May 28, 2009, 01:46 PM
I believe in MO the CCW permit is actually ON your Driver's Liscense. SO - you better let the officer know right off the bat. The only thing with that is - it is also legal in MO to carry concealed in your vehicle WITHOUT a CCW permit. I still think it would be a VERY good idea to inform the officer right off the bat so that he knows the situation.

Actually, the MO CCW endorsement does not have to be on your DL, you can get a MO State ID card with the endorsement, which is what I have. Although I agree with most here that it is proper to notify the officer, in MO it is not required. You can bet if he runs your tag through MULES, he will know you have a CCW endorsement before he comes up to the car.

I must lead a boring life. I drive the speed limit, signal to change lanes, don't tailgate and worst of all, come to a complete stop at stop signs. Haven't been pulled over in 30 years. But I am ready!;)

WC145
May 28, 2009, 02:14 PM

So TAB, what you're saying here is that if I pull you over in my town for say, 8mph over the posted limit, I should immediately write you up with no consideration of the totality of the circumstances?

What if I were to use my discretion and choose to not write you up based on any one of numerous possible factors - you're not from around here, you're unfamiliar with the local speed limit, we like vacationers and I want you to enjoy your visit so maybe you come back again or tell your friends so they come to vacation too, it's your birthday, I like the breed of dog you have in the car, you're a heck of a nice guy, you have a CCW permit, you DON'T have a CCW permit, it's almost lunch, I used to have a car just like yours, or who knows what other reason - are you going to look that gift horse in the mouth and INSIST that I write you a ticket? Are you going to tell me I'm not doing my job and that since you pay my salary I'd BETTER write you a ticket or you're going to call my supervisor? OR, are you going to say thanks, be happy you dodged a bullet, and pay more attention to your speed? I'm hoping it's going to be the last choice because rather than punish you, I want to remind you that speeding can get you in trouble and you should slow down and obey the law. If giving you a break means you are more attentive and make a point of trying to stay closer to the speed limit then that means I will have done my job and made the streets of my town safer thanks to VOLUNTARY COMPLIANCE. That's how officer discretion works.:)

Of course, if you're a jerk about getting pulled over even though you were speeding and you piss me off, all that goes out the window and you get a ticket. Officer discretion works that way, too.:cool:

TexasRifleman
May 28, 2009, 02:16 PM

I have seen no proof here that happened. Maybe the LE was going to give him a warning anyway.

I've gotten tickets while showing my CHL and I've gotten warnings while showing my CHL.

I doubt the presence of a permit makes much difference.

I hear all the time about how they are "good guy permits" but that's not usually from LE's. Good guys still speed, run red lights, and violate driving laws.

I just don't see any connection between them. I challenge anyone to show proof that it does if they believe it to be true, I'd love to see it.

joe817
May 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
joejoe, you get the atta boy award for the hour!

"I asked him if I handled it correctly and he said "text book and thanks" "

Courtesy and respect pays off again!

33-805
May 28, 2009, 03:22 PM
When I was still working behind a badge, I tried to be as fair as possible. However, I never heard anyone complain that they were not getting a ticket. Never. I heard all sorts of people griping because "that guy right there" or "their neighbor" deserved a ticket and "how come I never get those people?" sort of stuff. If they were seriously pissy, I stayed official and wrote it/warned them (whichever the case was) and left them alone. If I thought they could handle a little humor, getting written up or not, I had something I used to ask a lot.

If they were cool, I asked them if they ever went fishing. Then I asked if they ever caught them all? Most folks got the point and seemed to enjoy a little levity.

I did have a personal policy taught me by an older guy when I started. He taught me that he always had his mind made up before he got to the window whether or not it deserved a ticket, or whether he could cut them some slack. If there were other circumstances, so ably described above, he could adjust. But he always told me that barring any unforseen circumstances, having a good idea where he was going in advance prevented him from writing too many "attitude tickets". This system worked well for me.

TAB
May 28, 2009, 03:41 PM
So TAB, what you're saying here is that if I pull you over in my town for say, 8mph over the posted limit, I should immediately write you up with no consideration of the totality of the circumstances?

How does having a CCW play into me going 8 mph over the speed limit?

it doesn't, so it should not be consitered.

You should know rather or not your giving them a ticket before you ever get up to the window... basing it on trival stuff is unprofessional.

If you pulled a car going a 100 in a 65 and it ended up being your mother or wife, would you write that ticket?

Sniper X
May 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
I have been asked if I had a firearm only once when pulled over, and that was because he saw my empty holster. BUT, he did treat me with repsect after I handed over my cleared weapon, that had been residing in the center console since I was in Texas, and was from NM. He brought it back after running the numbers and gave me a ticket for only the expired insurance cert, and not the 5mph over in a 60mph zone. The exp ins was a fixit, and he said nice .45 after handing me my Springer Champ back to me!

Sniper X
May 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
This brings up a question. Who has been pulled over and had to surrender their firearm without clearing it? I mean, you never hand anyone a loaded handgun, you always want to clear it first....fishing a bit here but isn't this a catch 22 to any one else?

FiREhAwk
May 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
Last time I was pulled over (running railroad xing and passing with 2 solid lines) I was let off with a warning. I have never recieved a warning in my entire life for doing lesser infractions so I think the ccw had something to do with it. And I think these threads are revelent as we can all share our experiences to see if we did right or for other people to learn from incase they find themselves in the similar situation.

D94R
May 28, 2009, 05:34 PM
That's how I got "made" after almost a year of carrying without people knowing. Got pulled over with a couple friends and had to explain where it was when he asked if any of us had weapons.
Are you in a location that dictates you must tell the officer you are carrying? Otherwise, when he asked that question it was time for you to shut up and reaffirm why you were being pulled over. You weren't pulled over because he thought you had weapons, make him stick to the situation, not phishing for something else.

bearmgc
May 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
Your CCW prolly didn't get you out of trouble. Your politeness and honesty prolly did.

shotgunjoel
May 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Boy Scout uniforms work well too :-)

So do crying little kids.

mcdonl
May 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
bearmgc has it on the money. The OP could have said something like... officer, I have dangerous snakes in the trunk or something along those lines... that type of courtesy is what made the officer treat him with an equal level or respect.

And he could have said... I have had enough of these mother @#$%@$%^ snakes... in my mother R%#@%&^@$^ trunk... (Sorry... couldnt resist and having a bad night....)

ganymede
May 28, 2009, 10:56 PM
I think if your traveling with a concealed weapon via interstate highways and you arn't sure of the law in the state your in, it's better just to let the LEO know about your ccw and gun right away. (unless your ccw isn't valid in that state, but in that case you shouldn't be traveling through there anyway.) As far as i know the Utah CCW is valid in more states then any other. 34 i think in all, and you don't have to be a utah resident to get one. but if you are in Utah and you get stopped by a police offcier you are to immediatly notify him that you have a ccw and weather or not your armed. If you dont do that, the cop might get pissed when he runs your plate and see's that you are ccw holder.

PT1911
May 28, 2009, 11:04 PM
I personally love getting tickets because I was going 5 over the limit while driving to the emergency room barefoot while flicking a booger into the wind and carrying an icecream cone in my back pocket... that would be a wonderful way for an alabama resident to get one hell of a ticket in TAB's Terminator cop world....

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
May 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ok, to those of you who say what happened to joejoe was UNFAIR....

Whats unfair, is that he, and most of us weren't born blonde haired, endowed females when we are pulled over. Ive heard more stories than I care of, of female friends who say they cried or flirted their way out of tickets.

The CCW is in a way an equalizer, creating equality among the sexes.
Thats my story and im sticking to it.

djs764
May 28, 2009, 11:30 PM

Because we can...or maybe you'd rather live in a communist censored country :evil:

PT1911
May 28, 2009, 11:31 PM
all I can say to those who are so against breaks is to check out this site...

http://www.dumblaws.com/

find your state and figure out what it is you could be charged with on a daily basis... (or as some may see... not charged with on certain days)

some will say they are silly laws that do not pertain to this conversation, but seeing as the complaint was made against leniency, then people should still be charged with breaking any and every law listed on this site. No matter how rediculous.

cassandrasdaddy
May 29, 2009, 12:08 AM

what part of the constitution do you imagine it violates

PT1911
May 29, 2009, 12:12 AM
I see nowhere where it mentions ENFORCING the law on personal feelings.. it is the choice to let things slide based on current circumstances (some more honorable than others)

Where in the constitution does it say a LEO cannot use some common sense and personal judgement?

a wise man once said, only a sith thinks in absolutes....or maybe it was obi-wan....either way... doing anything with no thought behind it is a one way ticket to chaos.

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
May 29, 2009, 12:22 AM
I think many states say that a Police Officer has discretion when deciding to cite or let off with a warning.

like its not economically viable to pull over and cite EVERYONE speeding (like 1 or 2 (or even 6 or 8 )over the limit).
There are court costs associated.

It becomes a cash cow to pull over people doing more than 10+ over.

It was said: Discretion is the better part of Valor.

hso
May 29, 2009, 12:22 AM
I was pulled over for speeding while in Colorado on vacation and provided my DL with CP and other paperwork to the State Trooper. He never asked about the permit or the whereabouts of a firearm and professionally dealt with the speeding violation.

AKElroy
May 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
TAB enforcing the law on personal feelings violates the USCONS in so many ways its not even funny.

Ridiculous. Every LEO has to pass rigorous testing to determine whether they possess JUDGEMENT. You suggest they need none. 11 years ago, my wife, 9 months along, water breaks, 3am. We get in the car & drive to the hospital. I stop for every red light, never seeing another car, and then drove right through each. An officer falls in behind me, no lights, and follows me all the way to the hospital (my flashers were on). When we pull up, he orders me out of the car. I walk around to my wife struggling to stand. He yells again for me to stop as I take her by the arm. I told him I would accept the ticket as soon as I got her inside, and that he would have to shoot me to get me to let her go. He shouted that I should have been more carefull & took off. I doubt the DA, or the chief, would have applauded this idiot's lack of judgement.

win71
May 29, 2009, 12:38 AM
Fortunately there arn't too many TAB's with a badge.

WC145
May 29, 2009, 11:51 AM
How does having a CCW play into me going 8 mph over the speed limit?

it doesn't, so it should not be considered.

You should know rather or not your giving them a ticket before you ever get up to the window... basing it on trival stuff is unprofessional.

If you pulled a car going a 100 in a 65 and it ended up being your mother or wife, would you write that ticket?

Having a CCW doesn't play into you going 8mph over the speed limit unless that's the excuse you give me for doing it. What it does play into is my decision to cite you or not because it is MY DECISION. As I said before and others have pointed out, as a LEO I have a huge amount of discretion in how I handle my job and who gets stopped, cited, warned, ignored, etc. And in making those decisions I consider the totality of the circumstances so how could I know before I get to the window whether or not I'm going to write a ticket? I should not be drawing any conclusions prior to interacting with you since I have no idea what I'm going to find when I get to the window. Hell, I might be all ready to let you go and you decide to pull a gun and try to shoot me. Should I still cut you loose since I'd already decided to? Or should I change my mind and shoot you? My choice at my discretion. For the record, I'd shoot you. A lot. But that's just me, there's other guys that would probably try something else, at their discretion.

As far as writing my Mom or wife for 100 in a 65, hard to say. It could go either way depending on the situation. If I did write either of them I'd probably cut them a little slack, maybe write it for 90 instead of 100, after all I am related to them.

answerguy
May 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
Im my state of Michigan we are required to notify if we are carrying. But since the LEO will know that we have a CPL when he runs my DL (and he might even know it already from running my plate) I'm going to tell him on his first visit to my window whether I'm carrying or not.

CCWB
May 29, 2009, 02:02 PM
Text book is right, put both hands on the wheel if you don't have time to get you licenses out in time. And if you have people with you that you don't want to know, let the LEO know and if they have to see it, they may ask you to pop the trunk or come to the cruiser.

cassandrasdaddy
May 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
wc145 i ceratainly hope you'd write mom at 80 come on she deserves that big a break

Jim K
May 29, 2009, 04:41 PM
In some places, only the rich and politically powerful get carry permits, so the cop knows that anyone with a permit can have him fired or walking a beat in a very bad area. Sure, they are respectful.

Jim

Ragnar Danneskjold
May 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
Fortunately there arn't too many TAB's with a badge.

True. Most of the "I'm gonna ticket everyone for everything, because I am the LAW" types get weeded out during interviews pretty fast. Most.

TAB
May 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
where did I say I would give tickets to every one?

what I said was, ccw should play zero roll in rather or not you give some one a ticket. Just like race, gender, looks, occupation, etc. should not.

Babbalanja
May 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
I got pulled over by a small-town policeman for speeding through town, I don't know, like 45 in a 35 mph stretch, and didn't tell him I had a CCW (I had no weapons in the truck at the time). He ran me and came back to my truck and scolded me and said "next time you get pulled over you tell the officer you have a permit!"

You know, I understand all the officer-safety rationale for announcing you have such a permit, but I simply don't agree. No permit carrier is a threat to an officer - it's the criminal non-permit holder. Why that is such a difficult concept to grasp defies me. Permit holders can be unarmed and murderous criminals can be armed. The permit is what it is, a slip of paper.

I was respectful and might mention that I just got a warning, bless you Mr. Officer, but I remain firm in my belief that I am not obligated to announce that I have a card in my wallet.

Baneblade
May 29, 2009, 07:16 PM
The purpose for writing tickets is to change driving behavior... no matter how many people tell you it is to generate revenue. I have to decide in a matter of a few seconds with minimal information if a ticket or a warning will serve this purpose. Some officers feel no one else should have guns, but most are on the side of CCW holders. Has a police officer/deputy/LE official ever been shot by a CCW holder? Perhaps, but I don't know of any specific instance. As a general rule, CCW holders are law abiding citizens who are more likely to help me than hurt me.

To say that giving a warning over a ticket based on a CCW is unconstitutional shows a lack of understanding. The only time I "shall" issue a citation is 20 mph over the speed limit and 5 mph over the speed limit in a school zone. My department's policy leaves me with descretion on every other traffic violation. If I only write tickets, I get in trouble. If I only write warnings, I get in trouble. We like to see a 50/50 mix of warnings and tickets.

I am less likely to issue a citation to a CCW holder. However, it does not seal the deal. I don't care how polite you are with your CCW, if you lie to me you will get a ticket. If you lie, then it shows you are unwilling to admit there was a violation. Therefore, a warning is less likely to cause the change in driving behavior that is needed so a citation is warranted.

Valid license, current registration, current insurance, POLITE, HONEST. Your chances of getting a ticket (for a single violation stop) just got small. Having a CCW helps, but it isn't the only thing to consider.

My pen is directly connected to your mouth.

PT1911
May 29, 2009, 09:08 PM

You should know rather or not your giving them a ticket before you ever get up to the window

seems to me that would mean that they get a ticket or not without knowing anything about the situation other than what can be seen in a fraction of a second. The circumstances of the stop, misconceptions of the limits, attitude of the driver don't matter... all that matters in what you have written here is the moment the LEO saw them break the law. Beyond that either everyone gets a ticket or he/she decides at random who to ticket as that is the only possible way one could already know whether or not a ticket will be issued before ever getting to the window of the offenders vehicle....

gimlet1/21
May 29, 2009, 09:17 PM

you aint got no good english

Robert
May 29, 2009, 09:38 PM

Right about there.
As a former State Trooper I can tell you that when I exited the car my mind was 90% made up about what was fixing to happen. That was my training. But real life as a nasty habit of getting in the way. There is always that variable that you do not see at the onset. That is where discretion and common sense come into play. Almost all my stops ended they way I thought they would from the get go, but some changed mid course, for better or worse. The situation is not always as it first appears.

cassandrasdaddy
May 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
No permit carrier is a threat to an officer

you mean other than the guy in ohio who finished the cop when he was down or the one who killed the ones in pa

Deltaboy
May 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
Poor TAB must live a very black n white life.

Glad you caught a break and behave behind the wheel.

Cassandrasdaddy how about some links to these claims.

ezypikns
May 29, 2009, 11:51 PM
You have to wonder how some of the folks who see LEO's as adversaries and threats REALLY act when they're pulled over. Are they as tough then as they are here?
Maybe so, but have you ever noticed how some people just have trouble with others no matter what the circumstances.

win71
May 30, 2009, 01:09 AM
You know, I understand all the officer-safety rationale for announcing you have such a permit, but I simply don't agree. No permit carrier is a threat to an officer - it's the criminal non-permit holder. Why that is such a difficult concept to grasp defies me.You may understand the concept a tad better if you think of it as "detainee safety". Generally speaking most officers do not like to be taken off guard by someone with a weapon. If they are it's a little late to try and tell the difference between a permit carrier and a criminal non-permit holder. Things can get relatively fast and serious. Almost without exception, when off duty cops are stopped by an allied agency the first words out of their mouths are "I'm an off duty police officer and I'm armed. What do you want me to do."? There is a reason why that happens.
Dead is dead, even if you got that way by mistake.

stickhauler
May 30, 2009, 02:14 AM
cassandrasdaddy No permit carrier is a threat to an officer

you mean other than the guy in ohio who finished the cop when he was down or the one who killed the ones in pa

And this comment is necessary WHY? You name 2 instances out of a present more than millions nationwide who have concealed carry permits to prove what point exactly?

Is that all you can come up with to bash gun owners, or concealed carry holders? If you had bothered to research the guy in Pittsburg, you'd know he was not a typical concealed carry license holder, this guy had a serious problem with law enforcement for whatever reason. All the CCW holders I know personally are likely more law abiding that the normal citizen of their area, as they know that a serious violation voids their license to carry, and they feel they went through the process to carry a gun legally.

Elvishead
May 30, 2009, 08:10 AM
ccsniper

Please, state your age!

SCKimberFan
May 30, 2009, 10:32 AM

If you say that, I hope it also includes other members of LE and/or Gubmint agencies.

cassandrasdaddy No permit carrier is a threat to an officer

CD is correct on this one. The poster said "No permit carrier is a threat to an officer." CD pointed out that statement is incorrect.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got pulled over today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!