Kel-Tec SU-16

PDA

MikePaiN
May 28, 2009, 08:32 AM
I sold off many of my guns recently, basically to get rid of what I didn't shoot or need. But I did have to add a few "suitable replacements" back to the collection. One gun I need is a utility\SHTF rifle. IMO, there was only one that was going to fit the bill an SU-16 (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16a.htm). On a side note, I was super lucky to get one at a decent price(thanks BigJon in AR)...I didn't realize how hard these have become to get and the high prices they are selling for.
I picked this SU up last Tuesday and so far I'm impressed, its a very solid poly rifle, shoulders great with all around nice ergos, light weight at 5lbs, foldable stock with mag storage, deployable bi-pod forend, uses standard AR mags, .223/5.56 chambering, AK-type gas piston with AR-type bolt(clean and reliable operation), easy break down, chrome lined 18" 1:9twist barrel, peep sights and integral rail and a crisp trigger too :)
I plopped an EOTech 512 on for optic duty and picked up two 20r PMAGs to go with the two 10r factory mags.
What more can I say? I won't have a chance to shoot it until this week-end, so I'll post up a range report then.

here's some pics:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC01658.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC01672.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec SU-16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bigfoot
May 28, 2009, 01:53 PM
I've been keeping an eye out for an A version in Oregon for some time now. Not that I need any more medium power semi-autos but the light weight and the lack of a buffer tube interest me.

Enjoy

seanie!
May 28, 2009, 02:24 PM
I've been looking for an SU-16 since around December. Haven't been able to find one locally at all, or online for a decent price. Congrats on scoring one!

MikePaiN
May 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
I had planned to get an SU after I sold my guns. When I did and started to look for one ...:what: I was like Oh, crap! Local dealers were telling me there was about a year wait on new orders, all the big on-line stores were out-of-stock, as was Gun Genie....I started looking on Gun Broker, there were mostly C's and CA's(which are illegal in CT) going for over $800! Then, as I said, one weekend I got very lucky, found this NIB "A" and won the auction at $450 :)

JShirley
May 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm still waiting for a reduced LOP stock version...:(

J

ArfinGreebly
May 28, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have two.

Both of them 'A' variants.

No glass for either one yet.

Surprisingly crisp and solid for a "plastic" gun.

I picked up my first one when I lived in Nevada. Quite pleased with it. Shoots anything I've fed it -- even bad reloads -- stuff that won't feed in other AR clones.

After the election, seeing the "AR panic" starting to rise, my wife and I decided to take the financial hit and get one while they were still available. While shopping for an AR under $1,000 (oh, sure), I ran across another 'new' (virtually unused) SU-16A at the local surplus store. $500 cash.

The balance that was not spent on the rifle allowed me to a) get a handful of AR mags (Colt) and b) pick up a 1K case of AR food.

All in all, not a bad buy.

I passed on a 'Charlie' model at a local shoppe, as he was asking "just a little" over retail. He sold it, too; just not to me.

I may have to get a 'Bravo' for the wife. She has no particular affinity for the longer 'Alpha' model. What she would *really* like is an actual AR. Of course, she's never even held an AR, never mind shot one. I think, before we buy one for her, we will borrow one for a range day. She'll have the opportunity to shoot two or three different kinds of rifle.

If I were a betting man, and I had to guess what she'd shoot best, I'd say the SU-16B ('cuz we're not talking about M1 Carbines).

I'm very interested in how that EOTech 512 works for you, and at what ranges.

Walkalong
May 28, 2009, 06:30 PM
OK, for us ignorant folks, what is the difference in the A, B etc models?

ArfinGreebly
May 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
There were originally three models, now expanded to four.

The 'Alpha' has the long barrel, a plastic light-gathering front sight, and a rear peep sight on the receiver.

The 'Bravo' has the shorter barrel, a metal kinda-AR front sight, and the rear sight mounted forward of the receiver.

Both of these have a stock which folds in such a way that it takes the trigger group out of play; i.e. it can't be fired while folded.

The 'Charlie' has the shorter barrel -- with threading -- and sights like the 'Bravo', but has a stock that folds in such a way that it leaves the trigger group engaged, and the magazine can be inserted through the folded stock, effectively making it a pistol-grip rifle -- and thus not legal in CA.

The 'CA' model is basically the 'Charlie', but with a 'Bravo'-style stock to make it CA-friendly.

There may be a couple details I've overlooked, but I believe that covers most of it.

Update:

Well, I was close.

From their site: (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/products.htm)

SU-16A Rifle: The "Alpha" model is the base model rifle with an 18.5 inch barrel and a built in folding bipod. The stock can be folded under the rifle for compact storage.

SU-16B Rifle: The "Bravo" model has all the features of the base model as well as a lightweight 16 inch barrel, and aluminum front and rear sights.

SU-16C Rifle: The "Charlie" model has a true folding stock that is capable of being fired while the stock is in the folded position. The 16 inch barrel is threaded 1/2-28 at the muzzle. An integral dust cover and case deflecting operating handle is also included. All major parts are parkerized on the SU-16C model.

SU-16CA Rifle: The SU-16CA Is a hybrid of the SU-16C and SU-16A, Most of the features of the C model are retained. The SU-16CA is equipped with the standard stock of the SU-16A rather than the folding stock of the C model. This allows for it to be purchased in most states that still have an "assault weapons ban" .

SU-16D Rifle: The "Delta" rifle is available in two models. the SU-16D9 and SU-16D12 Have the same folding stock as the SU16C and will include a compact forend with a Picatinny accessory rail built in under the barrel. The SU-16D12 has the longer 12 inch barrel for higher velocity and will also be able to accept a standard M-9 bayonet, or more appropriately, our new light weight, Kel-Tec folding bayonet. Both the SU-16D9 and SU-16D12 are NFA regulated as a short barrel rifle.

PLR-16 Pistol: The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 5.56 mm NATO caliber. It was designed as and is intended as a long-range target and hunting pistol.

Bigfoot
May 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm still waiting for a reduced LOP stock version...

Kel-Tec offers the AR stock adapter as a kit with high and low mount versions. I'm not sure if it's on the site yet last I read was you have to call Kel-Tec and ask for the SU-16E-652 Pistol grip AR stock adapter kit.

While I'm at it here's Kel-Tecs side folder prototype.

Walkalong
May 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
I have wondered about these rifles. Sounds like you are a fan.

JShirley
May 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
Excellent. It's not like I emailed KT five years ago asking for a reduced LOP version, or anything...:rolleyes:

J

7Star
June 1, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have been wondering about these for quite some time... but have never seen one.

Would anyone happen to know if the SU-16C gives sufficient clearance to fold with a 30 round magazine attached?

... and not to sound like I do not know what I'm talking about... but I do not.. How much effect will reducing the 18.5 to 16 barrel have on velocity and accuracy?

chieftain
June 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
Very light, and I have found to be reliable rifle.

My youngest daughter has mine, because she finds my other EBR's to "heavy".

Get this, she carries a Colt Combat Elite I got and set up for her with a very short trigger, low Gunsite thumb safety and very narrow Navidrex grips.

But for a rifle my XCR is to heavy for her. So she got the SU-16C with all the gadgets and red dot.

I forgot, my daughter stands 4'11" 100 and nothing pounds.

Don't mess with Daddy's little girl.

Go figure.

Fred

Stupid should hurt

browningguy
June 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
With my C model I fold the stock then insert the 30 round mag, the 20 round clears fine to insert first.

-v-
June 1, 2009, 08:57 PM
Gunblast did a review of the C model, and found that it will do 1" at 100 yards with Wolf 75gr ammo, and down to .75" with 62gr Winchester ammo. Not bad for a piston rifle, out of the box, with factory ammo! (Link (http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-SU16C.htm))

Also, folding stock AND an AR-15 stock adapter? All I can say is good luck getting one until about 2 years after their release.

alemonkey
June 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm looking forward to your range report. I wouldn't mind picking one of these up some day.

pktrkt
June 2, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have one of the old model A's and couldn't remember if these were chrome lined or not. Trying to find documentation to this fact. By the way the SU I have has been very accurate and reliable. Looking forward to range report also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec SU-16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!