Hunting in NZ

PDA

waiotahi52
May 29, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hi. I'm from New Zealand. I finally thought that if I don't go hunting again soon I would forget how. So I went. In this country goat hunting is referred to as 'bombing goats'.They have reached plague proportions. So if you like firing the rifle, often, this is the thing for you.If you hunt dear or pigs you may get one each trip, or you may not. So I walked up hill and down dale for about six hours, in what we refer to as 'the bush'(forest, jungle, woods). I got 28. I used a Ruger Mini 30, as I had a lot of ammo, not all the same make. These Rifles are just brutes of things, great, but brutes all the same. I believe the Germans first made the 762/39 round at the end of ww2, for use in semi or full auto weapons, to be used in house to house fighting. So they are very effective to about 75 -100 yds. In a mini 30 that's about right. I know people get great shots at more but in our bush you generally can only see about 75 yds if you are lucky,and mostly, you are standing up or leaning against a tree and there is not much time.I also own a BRNO 223 which is very 'refined' by comparison, know what I mean? I like them both, but for different reasons. The 762/39 is not badly affected by bits of grass or twigs so is good in these conditions. The Mini 30 has never let me down, I don't always hit quite where I aim, but that is more to do with me than the rifle.I would not use it as a sniper rifle. I like reading about hunting in the US. I read once not to shoot bears with this caliber, it just annoys the hell out of them.Y'all seem to use larger calibers than we do, or have in the past. In the 50s and 60s there were professional dear 'cullers' here, they were paid by our Conservation Dept.to kill as many dear as possible. It was initially all done with cut down 303s,ex ww2, that is they had a lot of the wood removed to make them lighter, and of course there was a LOT of ammo about. They killed thousands of them. They later changed to 222s then 223s, mainly because of the noise. It didn't scare as many away.Then there was a short period when venison was in big demand so these guys would be hanging out of helicopters with 308 SLR's, ex Vietnam, then they would leap out and hook them to the chopper and go for it. Some of them died.Now the swine (D.O.C.) use 1080. A pox on them!! Conservation be dammed. This is a very contentious issue in this country, I hope you never have to deal with it.
I am so glad that we don't have bears, I would hate to meet one, we have wild cattle but they are not as bright as bears.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting in NZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DRYHUMOR
May 29, 2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome Kiwi,

I was in NZ in the 80's and 90's.

Didn't get to hunt, but wish I could have. The Canada Geese there were a problem then, is that still the case?

I do remember there were some nice weapons, rifles and shotguns, to be found. The favorable exchange rate made it worthwhile to bring back to the US. I did bring back 2 nice shotguns.

How's the Red Deer hunting? That's something I would really enjoy.

waiotahi52
May 30, 2009, 02:41 AM
Canadian geese still a problem that is getting worse, they breed like rabbits.
This address thingy will get you onto our version of E Bay, It is the rifles for sale page and is probably the best way to show you what is what in this country. All countries have their own idiosyncrasies when it comes to guns so you won't find many pistols (handguns).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-shooting/Rifles/mcat-0005-0386-2156-.htm
I am not a great hunter so I don't know much about the deer aspect, though I believe it is still good, as is the pig hunting. I didn't take up shooting until about 8yrs ago and have only seen one deer in the wild. (There are a lot on deer farms.) I just sat and watched it for 20mins or so. Even if I did shoot it I wouldn't know what to do with it, and I was miles away from the car.However if you ever come by this way maybe I could change that :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting in NZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!