Gopher Huntin' Day.

PDA

CB900F
May 30, 2009, 11:10 PM
Fella's;

It's shortly after 6 PM here as I write this & I just got home from a full day of moideratin' gophers. The day started when we loaded up at 7:30AM. The gopher fields are only about 25 miles from my house, so there's not a whole lotta travel time either.

My buddy Tom & I went out armed with his Browning T-bolt & my CZ452, both in .22 rimfire & we both shot nothing but long rifles. His gun prefers the Winchester PowerPoint ammo, but he was mostly usin' a 40 grain Federal solid. The Federals being both acceptably accurate and far less expensive. Not only that, they're much easier to find as replacement ammo. I used up a Winchester "333" bulk pack. It's a 36 gr HP at an advertised 1280 fps, although I've never chrono'd it. It's also my gun's second choice for accuracy (Federal American Eagle is in first place believe it or not), and was on special at $8.95 each vs the current $19.90 for a brick of 400 F-A-E's.

In any case, Tom ran through about 150 rounds & I did about 250 or so. In all fairness, I must add that Tom is neither palsied, nor partially blind. What he is, is a bit senile apparantly. In other words, he only brought one, count it, ten-round double helix magazine for his new T-bolt. Whereas, I had 3 ten-rounder's for the CZ. No excuses, he left 3 at home.

In any case, it's fair to say that a substantial number of gophers went to visit the big rodent in the burrow. Ranges ran from a low of about 20 feet to an attemped paced off 175 yards. Several confirmed hits beyond 100 yards were made by both parties & I made one 100 yard offhand shot. And I am now going to reward myself with a cold beer. Or two.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Gopher Huntin' Day." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Gopher Huntin' Day." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!