Mosin Nagant went kaboom

PDA

SATX man
May 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well my Mosin Nagant went kaboom this afternoon just wondering if it's worth buying another 1, I have about 200 rounds of yellow tip ammo and 70 rounds of SP ammo, are all the good ones gone? another person was telling me that he bought one and barrel was badly pitted.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant went kaboom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
txman321
May 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
just depends on what ya can find really, im sure there are some nice ones left. keep looking around in gun shops every now and then i see some here in texas that are worth buying but i dont ever buy one cause i already got 2 a 91/30 and an m44.

maskedman504
May 31, 2009, 03:20 PM
Do you have pictures?
Did you get hurt?
What part of the gun failed?

As far as I know you can still find good ones; do your milsurp homework- check the bore and rifling!

jd46561
May 31, 2009, 03:24 PM
If you had a major malfunction can you elaborate alittle more???. Im curous as to what happened.

FlyinBryan
May 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
If you had a major malfunction can you elaborate alittle more???. Im curous as to what happened.

i agree.

rifles are SUPPOSED to go kaboom.

SATX man
May 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
Don't have pics, didn't get hurt shot about 100 rounds through it since I had it over 2 years today I shot 20 rounds and last round split barrel, another person at range told me its called a "bananna peel".

alemonkey
May 31, 2009, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you had an obstruction in the barrel. Maybe a squib load got stuck in the barrel from the previous shot?

FlyinBryan
May 31, 2009, 03:30 PM
another person at range told me its called a "bananna peel".

oooooooh, ok.

did the barrel split?

SATX man
May 31, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes barrel split.

jpwilly
May 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
Did the shot before it not recoil much and sounded more like a pop than a Paaa.

nathan
May 31, 2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe old Ivan was sleepy and working too hard when making the barrel blanks on this one.

FlyinBryan
May 31, 2009, 06:54 PM
thats scary just to read.

glad your ok.

i own one and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Kind of Blued
May 31, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'd also like to see photos if you can get around to it.

Glad you're ok.

NCsmitty
May 31, 2009, 07:03 PM
There's got to be a reason for the barrel failure. Can you elaborate on the details?

NCsmitty

Jim K
May 31, 2009, 07:10 PM
A "banana peel" effect is almost always caused by a barrel obstruction, either a stuck bullet or some other object lodged in the barrel near the muzzle. I also would like to see pictures. And no, the M-N is not known for doing that; it is quite a strong rifle and even the wartime ones are well made.

Jim

TexasRifleman
May 31, 2009, 07:12 PM
I agree with Jim, you likely had a squib.

What ammo were you using?

Did you notice anything at all unusual about the previous shot?

SATX man
May 31, 2009, 10:02 PM
No last shot felt like the others the ammo I used was Bulgarian heavy ball yellow tip.

jpwilly
May 31, 2009, 10:04 PM
This is odd...post up pictures of pieces and parts when you can inquiring minds want to know.

SATX man
May 31, 2009, 10:27 PM
I would post pics but I let the gun range have it so they can destroy it, barrel was jagged and didn't want to tare up anything.

Kind of Blued
June 1, 2009, 01:09 AM
That's a shame. It would have made a great mantel/conversation piece. :)

Avenger29
June 1, 2009, 01:30 AM
Why did you let the gun range have it to destroy it? That makes no sense.

1shot3kills
June 1, 2009, 01:32 AM
you can buy another barral for like 30 dollars,glad you ok

chuckusaret
June 1, 2009, 10:06 AM
I would have kept it as a conversation piece. Last time I had a KaBoom, the first and last, I picked up the pieces took them home and had them encased in plastic. Now each and every time I get the urge to go out and buy a new weapon I look at my Glock paper weight first to remind me of the weapon to not buy.

jonc
June 1, 2009, 10:32 AM
i took my girlfriend and her friend out shooting my milsurps yesterday, I was loading up my mosin and I chambered a .308, luckily I could tell that it felt kinda wierd and saw what I had done. Is there any chance you keep more than one type of ammo in an ammo can like I do and fired the wrong cartridge?

rondog
June 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
I would have kept it as a conversation piece. Last time I had a KaBoom, the first and last, I picked up the pieces took them home and had them encased in plastic. Now each and every time I get the urge to go out and buy a new weapon I look at my Glock paper weight first to remind me of the weapon to not buy.

Oh, we need photos of this!!!

Is there any chance you keep more than one type of ammo in an ammo can like I do

Sorry, NOT a good practice!

maskedman504
June 1, 2009, 11:06 AM
I would post pics but I let the gun range have it because someone there really wanted it.

Fixed. :D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 1, 2009, 11:07 AM
If my gun blew up, my first thought wouldn't be how to get another one of the exact same kind as quickly as possible. Kindof a strange story. Glad you're ok. :scrutiny:

jonc
June 1, 2009, 11:37 AM
"Sorry, NOT a good practice!"

Nothing like a close call to teach you a good lesson, one that I won't be forgetting soon

offthepaper
June 1, 2009, 12:24 PM
I agree on the obstructed barrel theory. I own more than a dozen MN's and testify that these things are built like tanks.
Be grateful that you're still on this side of the grass. :eek:

SATX man
June 1, 2009, 12:55 PM
I didn't know you can buy barrels for the rifle I will see if they still have it.

Janos Dracwlya
June 1, 2009, 03:35 PM
I have to agree with the others: based on your description, it sounds like you had a barrel obstruction of some kind. I remember seeing a Colt SAA that had suffered a squib and then barrel split at a Cowboy Action Shooting match. It opened up the barrel for a couple of inches and blew the front sight down range. No one was hurt, but it scared the shooter pretty badly. If I remember correctly, he was going to have the remaining barrel checked and then have it cut down - it started out with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, and it looked like he had enough good barrel left for at least four inches.

Regarding the Mosin-Nagant, love them or hate them (I love them), they are not known for being anything less than rugged.

I would go back to the range and get that back, if possible. Even if you don't want to rebarrel it, there will be a lot of parts that can be salvaged.

FlyinBryan
June 1, 2009, 04:45 PM
I would post pics but I let the gun range have it so they can destroy it

lol, how destroyed do they think it should be?

when it happened did the wood explode off of the barrel?

1shot3kills
June 1, 2009, 07:13 PM
has barrels for 30.00 they are in fort worth

mallc
June 1, 2009, 07:22 PM
2 KABOOMS????? You'd better give up shooting and take up golf!!!!

Scott

marktx
June 1, 2009, 07:22 PM
Is it really worth re-barreling? They can still be had for under $100 so I find it difficult to believe that it's worth it to buy a $30 barrel plus a few bucks shipping and then whatever it costs to have a gunsmith install it and check to be sure head space is correct. Maybe it's a do it yourself project?

chuckusaret
June 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
Is there any chance you keep more than one type of ammo in an ammo can like I do

I keep only the same caliber in the ammo cans- each 50 cal ammo can holds about 600 rounds or pistol ammo. I try to maintain at least a 1,000 rounds per weapon. I have 12 handguns with just over 15,000 rounds of ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant went kaboom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!