AK tech-sites now available

PDA

dscottw88
June 1, 2009, 05:42 PM
I emailed them late last week, this morning I wake up and I have a new email from them stating they are now available! Now which ones do I get for a saiga?

http://tech-sights.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "AK tech-sites now available" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EdLaver
June 1, 2009, 05:46 PM
That is hideous, I am just being honest. I am going to give the rail from http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/ a try and see if it helps the sighting issue for AKs

TheWarhammer
June 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hmmm... I've been looking forward to Tech Sights finally getting this on the market. I'm not completely sold on the looks, but they don't have very many (or very good) pics of it on their website. Comparing this to the Texas Weapon Systems rail is really moot, since this is a rear sight and the TWS rail is a scope mounting rail... two completely different things. (Personally, I think the TWS rail is uglier than homemade sin and the Ulitmak rail beats it hands down.)

I've been wanting to add a rear peep to my AKM for some time, but I just haven't been satisfied with the options available to for adding one on. Tech Sights definitely came up with a creative way to mount the sight as far back as possible. The longer sight radius is a big plus. I also like that it is not tang-mounted, as I cut the tang off of my AK to add a folding stock. I'm looking forward to seeing some user pics and user opinions on the new Tech Sights rear peep.

Avenger29
June 1, 2009, 06:49 PM
That is hideous, I am just being honest. I am going to give the rail from http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/ a try and see if it helps the sighting issue for AKs

Function before form.

EAJ
June 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
I've been looking for a peep sight for my AKM for a good while. I placed my order for one today. I'm impressed with their design and they were a pleasure to deal with.

H2O MAN
June 2, 2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, neither one of those look like a good option.

runrabbitrun
June 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
They make one for the SKS too.
http://tech-sights.com/sks.htm

Looks like the new rear sight mounts using a new receiver cover retaining pin?
(Included and a little longer I presume?)
And set screws to tighten it up at the back side of the receiver cover,
so it doesn't rattle around.

That's about the only improvement I've seen that I'd even be interested in putting on my SKS.

runrabbitrun
June 2, 2009, 09:24 AM
A little further digging on their site
and it's looks like it's a snap to install.

See here:
http://tech-sights.com/about.htm

I'm going to get with these guys in the near future
and make sure. Me thinks I want one. :)

lipadj46
June 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
Seems like a good option for an AK if you want a good peep sight. It also has the added benefit of lengthening the sight radius. I had a Krebs sight put on my Saiga 12 but this would be an option also. I would wait for reviews though.

rangerruck
June 2, 2009, 10:08 AM
you are forgetting, TEXASWEAPONSYSTEMS, is also coming out with a rear peep site assy., that attaches to the back of the rail, right in front of your eye.
it is either going to be a part of the rail itself, and fully adjustable, or as an attachment that fits into a small v groove, in the back of the rail.
then it will co witness with your front site, you small top rail sites, or their is also a add on, front detachable BUIS SITE, that they have as well, that you can put on your ak.

Really, it is a complete solution, now with the back peep site, and the add on front site, it has all the options an ar does.

shdwfx
June 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
That is hideous...
That's unfortunate because AK's have always been a lock to win big on the beauty pageant circuit. :rolleyes:

BornAgainBullseye
June 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
cmon guys......! if you cannot hit your target with the sights that come on the AK... then these "things" will not help you either. I took a 3 day carbine class with a Romanian AK open sights. I was the only other platform other than M forgerys with insert your sights that cost more than my rifle here ________. I had no problem hitting my targets from any position and was 8 out of 10 at 300 yards. I was not a terminator by any means, But I held my own... Id rather buy ammo than this hack !

EdLaver
June 2, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think my AK can win a beauty pageant :D

KBintheSLC
June 2, 2009, 12:21 PM
I prefer my Mojo MicroClick ghost ring... it fits where the original sight is and looks normal. I have the TechSight on my 10/22 and its great, but this AK one is not calling out to me.

pmbiker
June 2, 2009, 02:27 PM
I have been waiting for this sight for a few months now, constantly checking their website. I for one need this not because I can't hit with the factory sights but for the adjustability and precision of peep sights in general. My particular rifle has a shortened sight radius and lets be honest, the post/notch sights of the AK along with loose tolerances and cheap ammo are what gives the rifle it's rep for being inaccurate. Might as well drop one variable from the mix. Ugly is as ugly does and it bears repeating, the AK aint no beauty queen to begin with. I will be placing my order within the month.

runrabbitrun
June 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
I like the added benefit of lengthening the sight radius.
That was my first thought when I saw it.

I can hit my targets well enough at 100 yards with the iron
and I do trust I could do well further out...
but haven't had the opportunity to try yet.

I'd add this to just see if it really improves shot groups
and field performance overall.
What I've seen so far suggests it does indeed enhance
the guns accuracy, thus increasing it's effectiveness
with out going all tacticool.

Ian
June 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'll definitely be getting one for a Yugo RPK - I think a good peep sight would make a big difference in the practical accuracy of an AK. I've got a Mojo peep sight on an AK already, and it's better than the original rear sight, but not immensely so.

Rubber_Duck
June 2, 2009, 02:55 PM
I really like aperture sights compared to notch sights and the crappy sights are the only reason my AK sits in the safe unused. I am DEFINITELY plomping down the dough for the Tech Sights!!! They will definately allow the shooter to get more useful accuracy out of the AK with the more forgiving sight radius.

danweasel
June 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
I wanted one of these but I couldn't wait. A lot of these things are "coming soon" for quite a while, you know.I bought the TWS rail and it is sweet! Although it too doesn't enhance the looks by any means. I too was trying to keep my wood look so I wasn't a big fan of the ultimak. Once you put the ultimak on you pretty much have to change to all sythetic furniture for aesthetics sake (says I) and the wife said, "No".

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 2, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think it looks pretty good, and would definitely help my old eyes with accuracy!

But without a button, how do you take off the cover?

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
But without a button, how do you take off the cover?+1, I like my HK type sights on my Saiga, but had to solder for the install on the cover. It looks like this may be an improvement, and doesn't rely upon the cover for stability and accuracy, which is definitely an improvement.

pmbiker
June 2, 2009, 09:05 PM

I had assumed that the sight becomes the button. Looks like you'd press forward on the sight to free it from the slot in the rear trunnion.

rdhood
June 2, 2009, 09:29 PM
It is interesting. Basically, it replaces the recoil rod and spring. If it truly does manage to always return the the EXACT same position after removing it for cleaning, then they have a winner. It is possible because the guide rod locks into the rear trunnion... which should be solid. I still would have rather seen them do something with the rear tang/screw.

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 09:48 PM
I see no problems with the way it mounts, should well-surpass the average AK in accuracy. It is definitely more repeatable than a sight affixed to the cover.

lipadj46
June 2, 2009, 10:17 PM
I still would have rather seen them do something with the rear tang/screw.

Not every AK has a stock tang on them though, side folders etc. I think that is as solid as any other place to mount a sight on the rear of an AK. Sure as hell beats the G3 sights welded to the dust cover.

TheWarhammer
June 2, 2009, 10:23 PM

I downloaded and read the installation instructions, AK FAQ and Parts Sheet from their site.
AK FAQ (http://www.tech-sights.com/AK%20FAQ.pdf)
Installation Instructions (http://www.tech-sights.com/instruc%20sheet%20AK.pdf)
Parts Sheet & Adjustment Instructions (http://www.tech-sights.com/Parts%20sheet%20AK.pdf)

The cover is held on by two detent pins (circled in red below), one on either site of the sight at the base. To remove the cover you depress the detent pins with the tip of a bullet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/AK18.jpg

I also find it interesting that the offer two different versions of this sight:

AK100S and AK100Y: Windage adjustable with detent locking. Dual flip aperture - one for short distance (100 yards) and one for long distances (200 yards).The front sight post of the AK47 must be adjusted for elevation.

AK200S and AK200Y: Windage adjustable with detent locking. Single aperture that is elevation adjustable at the rear sight.

Hammerhead6814
June 11, 2009, 01:40 AM
Sooo, any range reports?

TheWarhammer
June 11, 2009, 02:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of these soon. However, I'm debating which model to get.

The AK100S model has a dual flip aperture that is windage adjustable only. Elevation adjustments are still made using the front sight. So, you have one aperture set for 100 yards and one set for 200 yards.

The AK200S model is windage and elevation adjustable, but only has a single aperture. Only one aperture, but completely adjustable at the rear sight.

I think I'm more inclined to go with the more adjustable AK200S model right now. Mainly, this is because I want to add a Tritium front sight. Since such a sight would require me to always have the pin oriented a particular way, I would loose a little ability to adjust elevation at the front (i.e. I can't raise it 1/2 turn or the "dot" would be pointed sideways). By doing all of the adjustments with the rear sight, I wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm really not sure I would need the flip aperture feature very often.

So, what do you think? What do you see as the pros and cons for each version?

DBR
June 11, 2009, 02:19 AM
I think they have come out with a nice innovative sight solution. I don't want to give up the superior telescoping recoil system on my VEPR to use it.

dscottw88
August 12, 2009, 09:09 PM
Any reviews of this product? I'd be interested in seeing if anyone's experience with their AK accuracy has improved with these installed.

SniperStraz
September 22, 2009, 08:39 AM
Range Report?

RX-178
September 22, 2009, 08:50 AM
The peep sight on the Texas Weapon Systems rail is perfectly functional. However the rail itself is maybe 1/16th or so narrower than standard picatinny rails (or at least the one I received was). Most optics won't have a problem locking onto the rail, but throw-lever mounts like on an Eotech just won't grab onto it.

GunTech
September 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
The sight don't look like any worse than the top cover mounted Galil sights, and my Golani copy will manage 2 MOA. Almost makes me want to buy an AK just to try it.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK tech-sites now available" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!