June 2009 Rimfire match!

PDA

gvnwst
June 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
This one is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber rimfire rifle including 22 mag. This match is meant to be challenging and FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle.

You may enter with multiple rifles.

This month, we are switching things up a bit, there are 2 different targets you will have to pick from. One you can shoot from any position, and one is a 4 position target.

Another new thing for this month, a leader board!:

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/untitled.gif

(thanks go to members 1858 and FlyinBryan)

Target 1:

http://www.nosler.com/images/targetb&w.pdf

Scoring
Take THREE shots at each bull, for a total of 15 shots.

Corner Bulls:
3 points for each round in the bull. Total of 9 per.
1 point for each round in the colored area.

Center Bull, same as Corners except:
2 points for each round in the colored diamond outside the bull, 1 point for each round in the outer diamond.

10 extra points for all 3 rounds in a bull.
Max points = 9 * 5 = 45
Max bonus = 10 * 5 = 50
Max score = 45 + 50 = 95.

Range
25 yards for iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots

50 yards for any Scope or Magnified sighting device.

Position Any

Now, there were some 4 pos targets suggested, these are attached at the bottom of this post. One is for the 25yd irons guys, and one is for the 50yd magnified guys.

Scoring:
3 shots will be fired at each silhouette. The scores are there allready, a miss counts for 0 points. A change to the rules on there, you are not required to shoot them with a timed limit either. (unless you really want to:D)

For both targets:

Additional Categories we can hammer out what is what if there is any doubt.
-Unlimited/Target Rifles
-Sporting Class Bolts and single shots
-Autoloaders
-Pumps
-Levers

When you are satisfied you've done your best email a picture of your target to me for scoring with the following information.

-Forum name or name you want posted in the results
-Rifle, make, model, vintage if known
-Sights
-Ammo
-Position
-Distance
-Conditions (outdoors, windy, temperature...)

If unable to email a picture you may mail the target to me as well. PM for an address.

For those of you who can't open PDF files, someone here should be able to convert them to pics, and you can just print that. (i don't know how though)

If you enjoyed reading about "June 2009 Rimfire match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clint C
June 1, 2009, 08:38 PM
I don't see any targets for the position shoot.

gvnwst
June 1, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hmm...lemme try to fix that...
ETA: should work now.

BunnyPuncher
June 1, 2009, 09:01 PM
10 extra points for all 5 rounds in a bull.
Max points = 9 * 5 = 45
Max bonus = 10 * 5 = 50
Max score = 45 + 50 = 95.

Does this say what it is supposed to say? Or should it read "...for all 3 rounds in a bull"?

gvnwst
June 1, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hehehe....i am out of it today, my typing is not on. The original suggestion was 5, and i slipped....

Hud
June 1, 2009, 09:36 PM
Here are the 4-position targets for those who may not be able to open .pdf files.
They are JPEG images, so just save & print on 8.5x11" paper & they will be scaled correctly.
Commence firing.

BunnyPuncher
June 1, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'll be shooting this once I get my new scope... I picked up a Simmons today on a whim, went out and shot it and it had a zero that wandered around like a drunken frat boy through a bar at 2am. It is going back to Academy tomorrow.

Came home and did some research and decided on...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=IT94630&src=tpMfg

Should be worlds better than the $20 jobby I used last month and even with shipping it is less than the chi-com Simmons :)

gvnwst
June 2, 2009, 11:15 PM
Looks nice BunnyPuncher! I really need to find some good ammo, and take the $ from my gun budget so i can actually shoot targets and feel good about them. (the reason i haven't been showing any targets the past 2 months, no good ammo=no good targets)

FlyinBryan
June 3, 2009, 01:43 AM
i think im gonna redo my leaderboard more like yours so it shows 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

that looks much more official.

gvnwst
June 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
Have at it! ;)

gvnwst
June 4, 2009, 10:09 AM
Bump.

Lovesbeer99
June 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ping - I need to search for this later.

Schleprok62
June 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
What happened to the other target???

gvnwst
June 7, 2009, 09:12 PM
What other target?

Schleprok62
June 7, 2009, 09:15 PM
The Nosler target...

gvnwst
June 7, 2009, 09:24 PM
It is there, at least the B/W version...

chudykGT
June 7, 2009, 11:08 PM
Can I shoot the any position targets in each position and send each in individualy? As an entry each on its own?

gvnwst
June 8, 2009, 08:55 AM
Can I shoot the any position targets in each position and send each in individualy? As an entry each on its own?

Yes, but there is only classes for different rifles, so only your best target will count for anything.

JDGray
June 8, 2009, 05:00 PM
A whole lot of talking, and no pics of holes in paper. I'm gonna have to get off my dead a$$, and go shooting:evil:

Hud
June 8, 2009, 07:37 PM
OK, OK...I'm NOT posting this for score; that will be e-mailed to gvnwst, as well as being posted here.
This is just bait to get you guys shooting some targets.

'69 Erma M1 22, Military aperture sights
25 yds.
CCI Std Vel. Target
Temp. 70
Wind calm
Shot with sling support

TechBrute
June 10, 2009, 08:53 AM
No .17s allowed? I'm calling rimfire discrimination!

gvnwst
June 10, 2009, 09:20 AM
No .17s allowed? I'm calling rimfire discrimination!

Usually .17s are chambered in more accurazte rifles, and the ammo is more consistant (but more expensive) and they have less wind drift...it would be unfair. Clint C tried a .17 match, but he got all of 2 entries i think...

TechBrute
June 10, 2009, 09:27 AM
Well, then you should call it a .22 match, not a rimfire match.

I might ask what the difference is between someone shooting a Savage .17hm2 that was bought for $200, or a Volquartsen Deluxe in .22lr that costs $1400. Is it unfair that someone has a better gun?

and the ammo is more consistant
Also, is it unfair if someone uses premium .22lr ammo for this match?

It just seems silly to me to impose arbitrary restrictions on the gun and ammo, when the playing field isn't going to be level, anyway.

gvnwst
June 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
Also, is it unfair if someone uses premium .22lr ammo for this match?
Maybe i should have said "the high velocity and streamlines bullets of the .17s lend themselves to significantly greater accuracy in wind, and so, it would be unfair to pit them with .22s".

As for calling it a .22 match, i will leave that up to the people who are shooting it.

Hud
June 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
TechBrute,

Personally, I really don't care what anyone shoots because the only person I am competing with is myself. If I was shooting to win (what?), someone would come along with a Stevens Crack Shot and shoot circles around me.

I might ask what the difference is between someone shooting a Savage .17hm2 that was bought for $200, or a Volquartsen Deluxe in .22lr that costs $1400.

Marksmanship, which is what I thought these matches were about.

Is it unfair that someone has a better gun?

Not at all. If a person is a lousy guitar player, buying a vintage Martin will not make them any better.

If these matches were about who had the most accurate rifle, we could just nail them to the bench and pull the trigger with a string.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it is a chance to have fun while honeing my skills by concentrating on support, sight picture, breath control and trigger squeeze.
That's why I like to shoot 4- position, iron sights, sling supported.
I am fortunate that distance vision in my 64 yr. old eyes is still good enough to focus on a 25 yd. target over iron sights.
Some are unable or choose not to shoot irons. For them there are red dots or scopes.

It is unfortunate that you feel slighted because 17's were not specifically included, but you did walk in in the middle of the ball game, and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall you posting any suggestions for the June match when we were discussing it last month.

Shoot anyway.

Regards, Hud

P51D
June 12, 2009, 06:34 PM
GVNWST - I consider you the "Grand Rulemaker" for this match :D

I've shot two of the Nosler targets, and I'm confused on the scoring. I've never shot in any formal competition, so I don't know how targets are scored.

I've been assuming that the "bull" is the black diamond only. And, to get any points on the corner targets, you need to be in the black or white. The gray is worth nothing (That would be my vote.) After reading the rules, and in particular the phrase "colored area" (gray area?), I'm beginning to wonder if the bull is the entire one inch square containing the diamond?

Assuming that the bull is the black diamond, to be considered "in the bull", does it just have to be touching the black, as in the past contests, or completely in the black, or more than halfway in, or . . . ?

Finally, for all 3 rounds to be in the bull, for the 10 extra points, do all 3 need to be completely in the bull, as in the past contests? I kind of like that idea to make it harder to get the bonus. Or could, say, 2 be all the way in, one touching, and still get the bonus? (I kinda like that too, since it will help out my scores ;)) But to be honest, I think to get the 10 extra, and to be consistent with the past, my vote would be you only get the bonus if all three are COMPLETELY in the black.

Thanks

P51D

gvnwst
June 12, 2009, 08:24 PM
GVNWST - I consider you the "Grand Rulemaker" for this match

(just great, i am horrible at making rools....)

After reading the rules, and in particular the phrase "colored area" (gray area?), I'm beginning to wonder if the bull is the entire one inch square containing the diamond?
I think that the bull should be the black only, the small white there is part of the grey area.

Assuming that the bull is the black diamond, to be considered "in the bull", does it just have to be touching the black, as in the past contests, or completely in the black, or more than halfway in, or . . . ?
In the bull will be touching at all....*

(*see below)
Finally, for all 3 rounds to be in the bull, for the 10 extra points, do all 3 need to be completely in the bull, as in the past contests?
While it might be complex, all rounds have to be fully inside the bull for it to count towards the bonus, this will be like the first target. Touching counts for the score, but it has to be inside for the bonus.

P51D
June 12, 2009, 08:31 PM
gvnwst - you are a god of logic and rulemaking. :D Your response makes total sense to me. I'll try to post a target tonight, with my interpretation of the scoring, and we'll take it from there.

By the way, THANK YOU for keeping this very fun contest going!!! :D

P51D

P51D
June 12, 2009, 10:12 PM
OK, posting this pic didn't take long at all :rolleyes:.

Anyway, here are specs:

CZ 452 .22 LR, Weaver 3-9 x 32 AO
50 yds, sand bags on bench
Federal 510 ammo
85 deg, wind 5-10 mph, variable direction

I score it as a 62. I'm planning on doing better. This is a fun target to shoot. :D Again, come on in, the water is fine!

P51D

Clint C
June 13, 2009, 12:36 AM
Bump for a sweet competition and some good shooting.

Hud
June 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
I fully intend to drag my donkey to the range this week-end & should have some meager targets to post Sunday night.

BunnyPuncher
June 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
I've got enough ammo on order now to feel comfortable dragging out some of the stuff that is actually accurate enough to do this with. I tried a few targets with Golden Bullets and it was just too frustrating (I use them for offhand practice, where half an inch sure as hell ain't the bullets fault!!) and could not get 3 in a bull more than 25% of the time.

FlyinBryan
June 13, 2009, 11:58 AM

gvnwst
June 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
Sweet, thanks FlyinBryan!

FlyinBryan
June 13, 2009, 12:12 PM
lol, anytime g!

Hud
June 14, 2009, 04:23 PM
I got to the range this morning but only shot from the bench 'cause the wind was giving me fits trying to shoot 4-position. Hopefully I can catch a calm day next week for that one.
Anyway, here's the results. I'll let someone else score this thing.

25 yd. bench rest
Winchester 69a bolt action
Lyman peep sight
CCI std. vel. target ammo
Temp 65
Wind...a b***h

gvnwst
June 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hud--i score that as 60, seem right?

Hud
June 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
g,
That sounds good to me.
Thanx.

FlyinBryan
June 14, 2009, 05:28 PM

offroaddiver
June 16, 2009, 10:23 PM
goin to the range asap. I'm gonna try both of the classes. I have seen the rimfire matches and never remember to take the targets or rifles with me.

Maverick223
June 20, 2009, 08:26 PM
I am sorry to hear about the ban for .17 cal...I think I am set on converting my 10/22 to .17M2. Good luck with the match. :)

P51D
June 20, 2009, 09:41 PM
There's no reason someone can't start up a .17 rimfire "cousin" match, is there? Just a thought.

P51D

gvnwst
June 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
Nope, we could even make a class here. Thing is, Clint C tried it a few months ago, he and one other person shot in it, so he quit.

P51D
June 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
Spot on, Gvnwst.

I've never fired a .17 rimfire, but I think they are a separate class unto themselves, much different than .22 LR. And from what I hear, way more accurate in some ways. I'm very intrigued by .17 rimfire, and I hope to get one some day.

Maverick223, if you're interested, I'd encourage you to go for it and try to drum up interest in the .17 cal. It's not a "ban" from this match, they're just two different rimfires. So two different categories. :)

P51D

Maverick223
June 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
if you're interested, I'd encourage you to go for it and try to drum up interest in the .17 cal.It seems it has been tried at no avail, and I haven't even got the components for mine yet. :( But...I want a accurate rimfire that is relatively cheap to shoot, and have no real need for the 10/22 if I end up getting a GSG-5 so I think that .17M2 may be the way to go...for the reasons mentioned above (mainly wind). :)

TechBrute
June 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
Looks like the response hasn't been much better than 2 for the .22, either. I'll dig around for a .22 in the safe and see how I fair...

gvnwst
June 20, 2009, 11:44 PM
Looks like the response hasn't been much better than 2 for the .22, either. I'll dig around for a .22 in the safe and see how I fair...

There is a AR-15 match thats taking popularity from this...and i haven't shot yet, i am (and have been) out of town every weekend this month. And will be...:(

Hud
June 20, 2009, 11:59 PM
Was out today to shoot center fire rifle at 500 yds.
IDPA had the short range tied up.
Going back tomorrow to shoot the 4-position rimfire.
May have to email you the targets g, since Derek doesn't have the attachment posting fixed yet :fire: & I don't do the pic hosting site thing.

HuntAndFish
June 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
Been out of town gvnwst. I'll shoot this one this week.

Hud
June 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
gvnwst,

Attachments still not working.
I PM'd you for e-mail add. to send my target for the 4-position.

gvnwst
June 21, 2009, 04:20 PM
I can post them, or I can give you the links which you can simply paste in. Which would you perfer?

Hud
June 21, 2009, 04:27 PM
Go ahead & post, if you don't mind.

Thanx

gvnwst
June 21, 2009, 04:35 PM
Here is Hud's entry:

’69 Erma M1 22 semi-auto
Military aperture sights
CCI std. vel. Target ammo
25 yds., sling support
Out doors, temp 70, wind calm

I agree with you Hud, it is a 48.
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/gvnwst/June_4-position.jpg

P51D
June 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm having a terrible time trying to print the 50 m sillouhette target. Even when I tell it to fit to 8.5 x 11 page, it prints too large, and not everything fits. Acts like it wants much larger paper. Anybody else having problems? Any tips?

THANKS

P51D

Hud
June 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
Are you trying to print from the pdf file or the image attachment?
It should scale properly directly from the pdf.
If you're using the image, save it & print from the file. You should be able to scale it from there.
Of course, if neither works, I got this one in the bag :).

gvnwst
June 21, 2009, 08:57 PM
Of course, if neither works, I got this one in the bag :).

Ya?, well you just wait till i shoot the thing from 10 yards with a scope. :p:D:D

P51D
June 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've tried printing from the pdf, and from the image attachment. I've tried shrink to fit, fit to page, and now I'm fit to be tied!! No luck. It prints too large, and the instructions toward the bottom get cut off.

The Nosler target (pdf) prints no problem. Any ideas?

P51D

Judah Ben-Hur
June 21, 2009, 10:50 PM
P51D,

Great plane by the way. :)

Printing problems:
Click on the .pdf file you want 25 or 50
Click open
Click File then Print
Click the Printer that you use on the list
Click Preferences or Properties depending on software used then ....
Look for items in each of the tabs like 8.50 X 11.00 paper, Portrait, and then the one that is probably causing the trouble is under "Effects", mine is set to 100% and "Minimize Margins" - try that first before playing around with the "Scale to Fit" option.

If that don't work then let us know.

P51D
June 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
Judah Ben-Hur - Problem resolved. THANKS!!

P51D

Hud
June 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
:eek: Oh geez, Mustang got the target printed....I'm skunked.

FlyinBryan
June 22, 2009, 07:12 PM

P51D
June 22, 2009, 07:26 PM
Don't worry, Hud. Printing it is one thing (and you saw how smoothly THAT went for me before J Ben-Hur helped out) :o. Shooting it (properly) is something else entirely.

P51D

Hud
June 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, what ever you say.:rolleyes:
I'll just enjoy my 15 min. of fame on the leaderboard.
I'm glad Judah isn't in this match. Have you seen what he is doing in class 2 in the AR match?
Good shootin' Judah!

FlyinBryan
June 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
lol @ hud

Judah Ben-Hur
June 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
I hope to make a stab at one of the targets on my next days off. I'm thinking of the Nosler target because I know I'll suck at the standing, kneeling, and sitting part. I found some cheap match ammo that the Weatherby likes to some degree. It still throws a weird flyer every now and then.

gvnwst
June 22, 2009, 09:30 PM
Judah--i think Hud is crying into his pillow now...:D

Judah Ben-Hur
June 22, 2009, 09:35 PM
lol

I'll probably be counting paper plates tonight while trying to doze off.

Clint C
June 26, 2009, 03:45 PM
Rifle-Remington M540XR Target
Ammo- Federal Premium Match 922A
Sights-Redfield Palma rear, Redfield Olympic front
weather- 6mph west wind, 14mph gust, 83deg, partly cloudy
Score-65? Let me know if I am wrong and I will change it.

gvnwst, I need you to score this target, I am confused as to what you are calling the bull.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0319-1.jpg

P51D
June 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hi, ClintC. Fine shooting!

For the four targets around the perimeter, if a shot is touching black, give yourself 3 points. If the round is completely out of the black, but in the white or gray, give yourself 1 point. If all 3 are COMPLETELY in the black, you get the 10 point bonus (9 + 10 = 19). :D You'll probably have to make the call on how many of your 3 shot groups are entirely in the black (and to me, it looks like AT LEAST your top right and bottom right targets get the bonus; maybe more. Good shooting!).

For the center target, 3 pts for touching black (looks like 9 pts in your case). 2 pts for touching gray, and I assume 1 pt for touching the white diamond. All 3 completely in the black, you get the 10 point bonus.

GVNWST will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

P51D

Clint C
June 26, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks P51D, I would call it 65 then. I am honest and well say the left two bulls have all "holes" in the black, but with the gray circle around the hole being border line out of the black I am not going to count it as all in the black.

You discribed the scoring system very well for me Thank you again.

gvnwst
June 26, 2009, 04:56 PM
P51D got it right, good shooting Clint!

Hud
June 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
Good shooting Clint!
I don't think I'll try to better my bench score, it's going to be too hot this weekend.
But don't be suprised if JBH takes us all down a notch.
Hmm...that ar pokes .22 cal holes, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

FlyinBryan
June 26, 2009, 08:27 PM

Judah Ben-Hur
June 26, 2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think my Weatherby XXII bolt is consistant enough to get them all in the black with the ammo I've tried so far for 50 yards. A little ammo and scope thing going on so those scores will be real tough to beat. It was raining hail today so that put the rimfire and AR shooting on hold for a few days.

Clint C
June 27, 2009, 12:50 AM
There is a .22lr fun shoot in Colfax Iowa this Sunday. Open to the public.

FlyinBryan
June 27, 2009, 01:01 AM
i have a little 1022 that might do pretty good in this match.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=452736

im sure the rifle can, just not to sure about me.

i did a thread here while back on trying to improve it, and did some trigger work and it seems to have helped, guess we shall see.

Judah Ben-Hur
June 27, 2009, 05:38 AM
That one looks like it could get it done FlyinBryan.

P51D
June 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
Uh-Oh. :eek: (after seeing the handiwork in the last few posts)!

P51D

FlyinBryan
June 27, 2009, 10:06 AM
lol, i have no doubt the rifle could win it, only problem is i have to get involved.

my rifle will be like "oh great!!, way to blow it barney fife!!!!!!

Hud
June 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
In the future, I guess I should wait "til the last couple of days before the end of the match to post my best target. I wouldn't score any better, but at least I wouldn't be getting kicked to the curb every time the next smart-alec came along ;).

Clint C
June 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hmm...that ar pokes .22 cal holes, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure we could tell if someone shot this target with a .22cal high power.

Whole size doesn't mean everything.

Hud
June 27, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think ya missed the smiley, Clint.
Just yankin' your chain.

FlyinBryan
June 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
lol, dont worry about mine, even with the finest rifle im prolly no threat.

Clint C
June 27, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah I understand Hud, lol. I am terrible at typing and at showing what I am feeling. For some reason when ever I type I come across as super serious. Just trying to through out there that if anyone was worried about someone using a high power people would more than likly catch on, even if no one said anything.:D

Hud
June 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
Clint,
I didn't think you were too serious when I read : (W)hole size doesn't mean everything. I hope you realize how difficult it was for me to avoid making an off-color remark about that one :evil:.

Clint C
June 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
lol, yeah I suck at spelling, to bad my spell check quit working. I was being serious about hole size. why are you all laughing at me, stop!:D

Mr.Revolverguy
June 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
Well I will be back in a few hours. I am going to take a Henry Lever and a browning Lever to give my hand a try. Just promise not to laugh at the score LOL.

Glad I ventured into the Rifle Forum.

I have some 1970's mini mags I will be shooting. No need in keping them around I am not an ammo collector.

http://www.digitalrage.org/pictures/Old22LR.jpg

Hud
June 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
Mr.Revolverguy,
Just promise not to laugh at the score LOL.

This is all in fun, meant to get guys out shooting to hone their marksmanship skills.
I just have a nasty habit of ribbing people :neener:to keep the ball rolling...no offence ever intended :).
Looking forward to seeing some targets.

Clint C
June 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
I am going to take a Henry Lever and a browning Lever to give my hand a try.

I think that Browning well surprize some people. Its the second best lever .22 out there. Right behind the Winchester 9422:neener: I might have to take my 9422 out and see what it well do.

Clint C
June 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
Mr.Revolverguy, You should try selling those mini mags online. I bet you could get some good money for them.

Mr.Revolverguy
June 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well I just got back from the range. I went out with a friend of mine. We shot my S&W 610 trying to get the sites dialed in. I have about 130 rounds through it now. I did a review of it a while back when I first got it here on my website http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1, my buddy was shooting a Les Baer 1911, the slide was so tight and felt as if it was on ball bearings, wow what a master piece it is.

By the way those that like to write reviews of their weapons look me up. I have started my own website in hopes of collecting range reports. Basically a one stop shop for all range reports. I did this because I often have troubles searching and finding reviews here amongst all the other posts. I would love for one of you experts to be the first to post a Rifle review. If I can get a rifle review I can have a new page up on the site in minutes.

http://www.dayattherange.com

It is nonprofit, I am not looking to make any money off of it. Just doing it on my spare time and funding it all myself hoping it will benefit others that love our sport as much as we do.

There have been a few others from THR that contribute on a regular basis.

Anyway on to the the 22LR shoot. We spent the last 15 minutes or so shooting at the targets. I did not get a chance to shoot my browning lever, instead we shot his Browning semi auto.

By the way I decided not to shoot my old 22LR ammo, I will hang on to it.
http://www.digitalrage.org/pictures/Old22LR.jpg

Rifle- Henry H001 Lever Action
Ammo- Federal Bulk Box Value Pack - Yeah I know it sucks but I don't have match ammo right now.
Sights-Standard Iron sights
weather- 82deg
Score= I will wait for gvnwst to score them

Rifle- Browning Semi Auto
Ammo- Federal Bulk Box Value Pack - Yeah I know it sucks but I don't have match ammo right now.
Sights-Standard Iron sights
weather- 82deg
Score= I will wait for gvnwst to score them

I don't think I did to bad considering I was using the nasty bulk box ammo. I think with match ammo I may be able to do better. For me it was more about the fun I had today. Remember no laughing.

http://www.digitalrage.org/pictures/22LRTargets.jpg

http://www.digitalrage.org/pictures/22LRAmmo.jpg

Clint C
June 28, 2009, 11:01 PM
Thats actually some good shooting Mr.Revolverguy, I never thought the Henry would do that good. Glad to hear you held on to the ammo, if I remmember that is hypervelocity ammo and is not that great for target shooting. I well check out your site as I have several rifle reviews on other sites and enjoy doing them. Also I noticed the day you joined this site is the same day I did, and your post are almost even with mine lol. Thought that was funny. It took me a long time to join this sight, because I was weirded out and thought I would be put on a government list( this was my first gun sight), but then I thought who cares. So I lurked for a long time and wished I had become a member off the bat. Anyways good shooting for stock iron sights.

BunnyPuncher
June 29, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm going to post my results later today once I get a few things around the house done.

BunnyPuncher
June 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
Savage Sporter Model 23a with a Intensity 4-12x44mm AO Scope using Aguila Standard Velocity 22lr at 50 yards on June 29 at 11:30am.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/BunnyPuncher/DSC01606.jpg

Temperature: Horrid at about 95 degrees and rising. Humidity high. 99% chance of sweat. Wind: none.

Target:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/BunnyPuncher/DSC01607.jpg

Scored a 53 by my count and missed a good score by about 1/100th of a millimeter. 9+9+9+9+7+10 = 53. I would have been happy with a 63 grumble grumble, but as I noted I missed by a *insert colloquial expression here* as far as I can determine.

Usual BS excuses: It was hot out. Really hot out :) That one flier on the middle bull went supersonic on me, and flew funny and hot. I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender!

Mr.Revolverguy
June 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
You guys are shooting some awesome scores. I don't have a nice place with tables that I can shoot from sandbags. Are most of these scores from sandbags?

P51D
June 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
BunnyPuncher - even though it would knock me down a notch, the one on the top left (when target is vertical) looks mighty close to a bonus. You're in the best position to judge. Fine shooting any way you slice it!

Mr. Revolverguy - mine are from sandbags.

P51D

Hud
June 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
Mr.Revolverguy,
My Nosler target back on page 2 was shot with irons at 25 yds rested on my range bag atop a picnic table.

Clint C
June 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
I shot my target off of a single bag which was on a collapsable "card" type table. might try to do the position target tommorow if I can get it to print right. It is always choping the bottom of the print off when I print it.

Clint C
June 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
By the way good shooting Bunnypuncher, what year is that Savage? There are a lot of good shots in this competition.

P51D
June 29, 2009, 07:57 PM
Clint - check out post #68 above by JBH. It may help with printing problems.

P51D

Clint C
June 29, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks P51D, the wife figured it out in a matter of minutes, when I asked her earlier. I was able to print it, but it was cutting off the bottom at line 6. She went a different route and it is perfect.

BunnyPuncher
June 30, 2009, 12:35 AM
BunnyPuncher - even though it would knock me down a notch, the one on the top left (when target is vertical) looks mighty close to a bonus. You're in the best position to judge. Fine shooting any way you slice it!
P51D

The one on the top left is a bonus score. The one that would be on the top right looks like a bonus but if you flatten out the perf it snags a tinsy bit of black.

Hopefully I calculated my score right. 9 is max possible per bull without bonus right?

As to the year of the savage... sometime between 1917 & the early thirties. hard gun to find info about and the lack of serial #s means the exact year will never be known :)

BunnyPuncher
June 30, 2009, 12:40 AM
You guys are shooting some awesome scores. I don't have a nice place with tables that I can shoot from sandbags. Are most of these scores from sandbags?

Sandbags front and rear. If you don't have a bench, go prone and bag the front at least.

I make my sandbags from cut up legs of old jeans, duct tape and corn cob medium from the pet store (I use the corn cob to clean handgun brass normally).

P51D
June 30, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hi, BunnyPuncher. I must have been math-impaired yesterday, and, I didn't see the "10" at the end of your equation :o.

Anyway, yes, 9 is the max without the bonus.

P51D

Clint C
June 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
corn cob medium from the pet store (I use the corn cob to clean handgun brass normally).

Thats funny, I buy the walnut media from the pet store to clean my brass. Its the same thing, and for what they charge for a 1 gallon tub of brass media, I can buy 25 pounds at the pet store.

Hud
June 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
Since we're un-stuck, I'll kick 'er back up.

BunnyPuncher
June 30, 2009, 04:48 PM
Thats funny, I buy the walnut media from the pet store to clean my brass. Its the same thing, and for what they charge for a 1 gallon tub of brass media, I can buy 25 pounds at the pet store.

Yeah some people have no sense really or just have money to burn. I use corn cob because I find walnut gets stuck in 38 special cases for some reason. I need to pick some up though as I'm about to start reloading in 7.5mm Swiss and the corn cob is too big to escape the neck.

This reply could also be considered a bump to the hump to keep us at the top of the rifle forum :P

P51D
June 30, 2009, 09:26 PM
BTT. Wow, we get unstuck before the match is technically over? :confused:

Clint C
June 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah some people have no sense really or just have money to burn.
You said a mouthfull, bump.:cool:

Clint C
July 1, 2009, 01:00 AM
With a name like that shouldn't your rifle be a pump .22lr?:neener: Sorry couldn't help my self. I was a little confused on the rules also, but because of earlier competitions I had an idea what was expected ( I still needed help). I'm just a dumb Tinner though, lucky if I can count high enough to score my own target anyways.:D Good shooting everyone!

Clint C
July 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Can we please keep the position shoot for next week? I really want to compete with that target, but didn't get a chance this month. This is great fun!:)

P51D
July 1, 2009, 11:05 AM
I second Clint's suggestion, as I'd like to try it too. Any votes for which "benchrest" target to use?

Clint C
July 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'll shoot anthing that you don't have to use a lot of ammo. I like to stay around 15-20 shots myself. I think that is plenty, but which ever.

BunnyPuncher
July 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
I have no opinion on the positional shooting as I can't really do standing or kneeling due to nerve damage in my feet and lower legs (no balance at all). well, I can do it, but i wouldn't be posting em for the world to see :) I'm working on balance, but its slow going since my neurons do not quite fire like they used to and I can't make those fine adjustments normal folks can (that you don't even think about until you can't do it).

So if the consensus is to hold over the positional target from last month I have no issue with that.

just gimme a good BR target:cool:

gvnwst
July 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
Guys, sorry for not posting, I had to leave town on short notice, and had no net while gone. If you guys decide on a good BR target, ill make the new match, and keep the position target.

Hud
July 2, 2009, 08:29 AM
Working without a net? You're a brave man gvnwst!
I'm in for any BR target. I would like to shoot the position target again too.
This month was kind of a hollow victory with no one else shooting position.
I really thought more guys would try it & with my score I'm sure some one can shoot it better.
C'mon guys, you know you wanna :neener:.

gvnwst
July 2, 2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it was tough, but i made it. (barely:D)

Anyone have a suggestion for a BR target? I can never decide on a good one...

gvnwst
July 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
I am just going to make the new match with the same targets and everything, if anyone wants to suggest a new one, feel free to do so.

Clint C
July 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for keeping this going gvnwst.

If you enjoyed reading about "June 2009 Rimfire match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!