Interesting 7.62x39 Rifle

PDA

FFMedic
June 1, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thought I would share this.

I picked up this neat rifle about a month ago. It's made by a company called Australia International Arms and was imported by TriStar. AIA only produces about 1200 a year and as far as I can tell only about 130 were imported to the US so it must be somewhat rare.

Its basicly an Enfield jungle carbine that takes AK-47 magazines. It has excellent sights with a long and short range position. The rifle also came with a carry case, 2 magazines (10 rounds), a picatinny scope mount, sight adjustment tool, comb piece and a buffalo leather 1907 style sling.

I have not fired it yet but it seems pretty well built. I'm thinking about selling it though because the trigger has too much slack for my tastes, trigger snob I suppose.

FFMedic

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1125/pictureger.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pictureger.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting 7.62x39 Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
June 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
That's a slick looking rifle, I would keep it and resolve the trigger issue. It shouldn't be that involved to smooth out the trigger.

NCsmitty

SharpsDressedMan
June 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
I want one!

Walkalong
June 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
That is really cool. :)

gvnwst
June 1, 2009, 10:10 PM
Nice, i have only seen pics of those, for sale out of the USA.

GRIZ22
June 1, 2009, 10:26 PM
Neat rifle. I'd get one if the price was right.

Jason_G
June 1, 2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, they are made in Australia in a wide assortment of calibers too, IIRC.

I've never seen one in person. Do they look as much like an Enfield on the inside as they do on the outside?

Jason

chriso
June 1, 2009, 10:30 PM
How much did that puppy run you?, if you dont mind me asking. Thats a really nice rifle I wouldn't mind owning one it seems like it would make a great ranch rifle...

tju1973
June 1, 2009, 10:31 PM
They had those at GM a couple months ago-- I wished I would have picked one up--

Very cool action and looked like a good hog rifle...

chriso
June 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
If you're thinking about selling it send me a PM If its the right price Id buy it... how's it shoot???

wally
June 1, 2009, 11:36 PM
Wow, a bolt action assault rifle, should really get the anti panties in a knot!

--wally.

paintballdude902
June 1, 2009, 11:44 PM
what u want for it

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 1, 2009, 11:51 PM
Pretty slick; great fighting rifle.

gb6491
June 1, 2009, 11:59 PM
That's a nice looking rifle:)
In regards to the trigger, here's a good read:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/hubertriggerenfield/index.asp
Regards,
Greg

TeamRush
June 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
And I though the Jungle Carbines were underpowered in .303 British!

Wonder why they didn't add the 3 pounds of funnel shaped flash hider on that one like the factory Jungle carbine had? :)

KBintheSLC
June 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
That would be a great companion to my M70 Yugo... I wonder how it does with hard, imported mil-surp primers. I assume it was made for that type of ammo.

BornAgainBullseye
June 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
wow!!! I really want one....! that is awsome. Leave it up to the wonders from down unders to come up with something cool. No autoloaders? lets make a bolt action that takes AK mags! brilliant!

kanook
June 2, 2009, 01:35 PM
www.specialinterestarms.com make your own or they will do it for a fee :D

maskedman504
June 2, 2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/images/M10_A1.jpg
M10-A1
508mm barrel, Jungle Carbine style.
7.62mm M43 Russian rimless, 10-rd. mag
Flash hider, adjustable foresight elevation & windage, dual rear aperture 100, 300m.
Provision for Picatinny rail to fit 'scope.

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/images/No.4Mk4SLw.jpg
No.4 Mk 4 SL (7.62mm NATO)
22-in. barrel rather than 25.2-in. normal.
B1 metal on T05A or T06 action body.
Shorter overall in barrel & fore-wood. Adjustable foresight for elevation, windage, dual rear aperture at 200 & 400m.
Rifle club model, QMRC Commemorative.
Provision for Picatinny steel rail to fit tele- scopic sight.

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/images/IMG_4687dw.JPG
http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/images/M10_B2w.jpg
M10-B2 ex-M42-B2 (7.62x51mm NATO)
640mm heavy barrel a la L42A1.
Steel blue-black finish, teak hardwood stock with chamfered edges, hand oiled.
Adjustable foresight, elevation & windage.
10-rd. box magazine like US M14.
'L' aperture for 200 & 400 metres. Comes with Picatinny steel rail for 'scope sight.
Option military butt & cheekrest like L42.

For the true enthusiast, the Picatinny rail will mount quality Leupold, Kahles, S&B, Hensoldt and military 26mm diameter tube telescopes, night sights, Harris bipod, &c.

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/product.htm

Australia:
Distributor Parabellum Imports... Ph: (03) 9328 1480 Fax: (03) 9328 5266
www.parabellumimports.com.au
Dealers Rebel Gun Works... Ph: (07) 3391 6744
1 Atherton St., Woolloongabba Q.4102

Kingaroy Firearms & Supplies... Ph: (07) 4162 4833
Shop 2, 106 Kingaroy St., Kingaroy Q.4610

Lawrance Ordnance... Ph: (02) 9212 5673
802 George St., Sydney, NSW 2000

Victorian Arms... Ph: (03) 9328 1480
209-211 Victoria St., West Melbourne, Vic.3033

Adelaide Gun Shop... Ph: (08) 8231 3570
269 Morphett St., Adelaide, SA 5001

Claremont Firearms... Ph: (08) 9494 1380
Unit 4, 142 Barrington St., Bibra Lake, Perth, WA 6163

New
Zealand: To be announced...
However some Australian dealers may be able to arrange
export requirements to New Zealand

Canada: Marstar Canada Inc., RR#1, Vankleek Hill, ON K0B 1R0.
Toll free: (888) 744-0066 (from North America only)
Tel.: (613) 678-3173 Fax: (613) 678-2359
E-mail: sales@marstar.ca

[B]Domestic
U.S.A.: To be announced shortly...

UK &
Europe: To be announced...

rogertc1
June 2, 2009, 02:21 PM
I picked up a new Australian Arms M10A2 in March 09 from Gander Mountain for $700. It is a new CNC copied Enfield M4 type bolt action in 7.62X39 that load in AK47 Magazines. Really well done.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124357649#PIC

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/

In my eyes it is beautiful. Love how it is a new quality CNC copy of a Mk4. (I have a few Enfields MK4's and 6 AK varients) The parkerized finish was done evenly on a well machined and finished gun. No machine marks. The wood is another story. All 3 pieces of the horizantly grained matching teak wood in color and grain lines. Kinda what is called bookend look in a 1911 stocks. Also a slight hint of tiger striping.
My research said they are asembled in Austrailia. Machined in North Korea and the furnature made in Vietnam.
These are out of the only batch the USA origional importer TriStar, Kansas City that had cleared them out or went out of business (can't recall). Gander purchased remaining stock. Even though they are NIB they are several years old. No more are being imported.
Mine rear stock has a hi comb like the gunbroker posted.

runrabbitrun
June 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
I want one and it's practical as my
other toy is of the same caliber. :)

paintballdude902
June 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
i think i may buy the .45 kit

anyone know where to buy just a reciever? all my normal sources are out

i may end up just buying a bubba'ed enfield and use that

D Boone
June 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
I love it, I wish my FR8 took M14 mags. Looks like it only takes single stack mags though?

FFMedic
June 2, 2009, 07:22 PM
D Boone, it takes standard AK mags, although my 75 round drum will not latch in :( haha

FYI I would not put much stock in AIA's website information. They won't even respond to my emails and several people have also told me these rifles are banned from importation due to parts being made in "evil" nations.

FFMedic

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 2, 2009, 07:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like this rifle; about the only rifle in the world superior for fighting from a very muddy trench than an AK47!

Looks like the 7.62x51 versions use M14 mags.

Too bad neither one of them are readily available, it would appear.

Taylor'44
June 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
OH MAN!! That is one heck of a sweet bush/battle rifle. I've always wanted a setup like that and didn't find it till a few months ago.

I've been on Special Interest Arms website, and they make a very similar rifle, and also a De Lisle Silent Carbine out of surplus Enfields, or they send you a kit.

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php

Hope someone hasn't already mentioned that.

Kind of Blued
June 2, 2009, 08:44 PM
That'd be, perhaps, the greatest scout rifle of all-time. I like it a lot. I saw one in a shop a year or so ago and didn't even bother handling it. I should have done so.

ECVMatt
June 2, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have been reading about those for a while...hope they hit our shores soon.

New User
June 3, 2009, 03:16 AM
Man, I really wanted one of these in .308. I have a stock Enfield that was given to me a long time ago that is in beautiful condition (armory refinish job), but I'm in the market for a .308.

RockyMtnTactical
June 3, 2009, 04:18 PM
That's a pretty neat rifle. :)

jhco
June 3, 2009, 05:08 PM
very cool!

High Planes Drifter
June 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
I like it; very, very cool.

Ignition Override
June 4, 2009, 01:42 AM
The Gander Mountain in Saginaw, MI had one about two-three months ago, opposite the Sheraton Hotel (by the Fashion Square Mall).
It was listed at about $600 or so and reminded me of the Jungle Carbine.

At least you don't need to shoot corrosive ammo for affordability or face investing in/learning reloading equpment etc.
Based on my "JC", you must be having fun, and the muzzle velocity must be similar to that of a Mini 30 or SKS?

Flyboy73
June 4, 2009, 08:34 AM
I live right by that Gander Mtm. Wonder if they still have it.

Brion

Sam1911
June 4, 2009, 09:02 AM
Is the bolt and action length actually shortened to better fit the x39 length or is it the standard .303-length action? Not sure how much of a difference that would make but scaling it down to the length of the m34 cartridge would make one of the fastest/slickest bolt actions ever, even more so! And it would make the whole package a lot more refined -- less cobbled-together seeming.

So, for those who've handled it, how'd they do with that?

-Sam

Flyboy73
June 4, 2009, 04:19 PM
Called Gander and they still have it. He didn't know the price right away. Told me its in pretty good shape. But if its $600 thats in line for the blue book price and i can lay it away for 10% down.

Going to head over and check it out. Sounds like a intresting gun.

Brion

Flyboy73
June 5, 2009, 01:47 AM
Went down and looked at it. Was in really good shape. Had only one mag and no accessories.

Was asking $699 and i talked them down to $650.

Seems like a neat little carbine. Be a good bush/truck gun.

Anyone know where i can find a scope rail for it?

Brion

rogertc1
June 5, 2009, 06:15 AM
Go back and ask them to look for the box. It has a nice sling, canvas gun case, Xtra mag, tool and the rail in it. A lot of times GM misplaces the boxes. Clerk could give a hoot. That gun was bougnt in by GM and not used.
As for a new rail it would have to be custom made.

peyton
June 5, 2009, 07:11 AM
I looked in the gander mountain web page and it does not list them. Any other sightings??

Flyboy, you are quick, I was googling up the phone number when you posted that you purchased it.

Flyboy73
June 6, 2009, 02:15 AM
The clerk told me they had it awhile with no interest.

He also told me the gun came to them used and they did have the box or anything else for it.

I tend to believe him as i know his Dad and Grandpa. I also work with one of their ex clerks and we talked awhile about him trying to get into where I work.

The gun was in excellent shape. From the barrel looks like it was fired a couple of times and not fully cleaned. Looks like a bore snake will clean it right up.

Brion

rogertc1
June 6, 2009, 07:33 AM
Kinda neat how the barrel, all the way into and through the flash supressor is chromed lined.
Miy M10A2 is one of my favoriates in my collection. They did a great job of matching my wood. Looks like they made it out of one piece.

bobotech
June 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
I would love to have one of those. I would somehow figure out how to get a Chinese drum to lock into place.

It would be so much fun to go to the range with one of those nice carbines with a good scope and then pull out a 75 or 100 round drum and lock into place and then do some bench rest shooting.

rogertc1
June 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
Confusious say:

100 rd Drum not real practical for a bolt action rifle. :D

Too bad no more are imported.

FFMedic
June 8, 2009, 01:26 AM
Well I'm sorry to say I have to part with it. The headgaskets in my truck have blown and the estimate is 2 grand to repair

Several people had PM'ed me asking/offering to buy the thing and after PM'ing them back they were pretty serious it seems. Although I hate gunbroker auctions and fees I have decided to list it in the interest of capitalism (since I can't drive my guns to work and my truck is toast at the moment) and also fairness. I don't really know how I would decide to sell it to of the dozen or so people them expressed interest. My apologies if you were one of the people that messaged me and this upsets you.

I'll take more photos and post them up here when I can just for the sake of having some good pics of this rare rifle.

Well I'm sorry to say I have to part with it. The headgaskets in my truck have blown and the estimate is 2 grand to repair

Several people had PM'ed me asking/offering to buy the thing and after PM'ing them back they were pretty serious it seems. Although I hate gunbroker auctions and fees I have decided to list it in the interest of capitalism (since I can't drive my guns to work and my truck is toast at the moment) and also fairness. I don't really know how I would decide to sell it to of the dozen or so people them expressed interest. My apologies if you were one of the people that messaged me and this upsets you.

I'll take more photos and post them up here when I can just for the sake of having some good pics of this rare rifle.

Auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130988029)

FFMedic

maskedman504
June 8, 2009, 01:28 AM
FYI your link is broken.

cleardiddion
June 8, 2009, 03:01 AM
That's one sweet rifle.

bukijin
June 8, 2009, 05:46 AM
Since everyone handed in their sks and ak rifles after the complete ban on semi-automatic rifles in this country, this rifle is about the only platform for shooting 7.62X39 here now. Prefer a 30-30 for the same purpose though. Amazing that they are not readily available there..

Radagast
June 8, 2009, 06:41 AM
The Marlin 336 is quite common here, although bolt action rifles in .243, .223 .308, etc are more popular as we have a lot of open country. There are a lot more Marlins sold than M10s.
These days the 7.62x39 M10 isn't available new and the .223 never went into production, so it's the .308 version only.

I did fire one of the early 7.62x39 versions and was quite taken by it. Very loud, but with the teak stock adding weight there was little in the way of felt recoil. Action was smooth, fast and reliable, as you would expect from an Enfield, the magazine was not a quick change item, being a tight fit. There was no charger bridge, so stripper clips weren't an option.

All in all I wouldn't mind owning one, but there are other guns to buy first and the M10 is still imported into OZ. The USA won't see anymore due to Federal regulations regarding importation of weapons from Vietnam, so if you want one and find it, better grab it.

Flyboy73
July 3, 2009, 07:02 AM
I picked the rifle up today from Laway. And low and behold they had the box in the back, with all the extra's. They sold it as a used gun, but I am pretty sure it was never fired and was NIB. The clerk today told me it into the store from national gander and was not a trade in like i was orginally told.

I am really happy i got all the extra's for it.

Its one sweet gun.

Pics comming.

Brion

Detritus
July 3, 2009, 09:35 AM
and several people have also told me these rifles are banned from importation due to parts being made in "evil" nations.

what i've heard is that it was banned b/c the wood for the stock of all things came from an "EVIL" nation. seems that at least on some models the stock is Vietnamese Teak. i don't use this word often, but that's just LAME!

"no you can't have a gun made in a nation we have strong ties to b/c they bought the wood for the stocks from a nation that beat our fannies 40 years ago. (but the stuff MADE in Vietnam for Blackhawk and similar is fair game)"

TheFallGuy
July 3, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hmmmm looks like the perfect gun for the PRK (People's Republic of **********). I would totally buy one in .308!!!

nero45acp
July 3, 2009, 10:22 AM
I'd love to have one to go with my FR8. :cool:

nero

LC '92
July 3, 2009, 10:25 AM
http://usera.ImageCave.com/daddy_jeffs/M10-A2.bmp.jpg
This is the one that I have. It has the stock with the built in cheek piece. I got it at GM too. Mine shoots very well and is now scoped. It will be my primary hunting rifle for the 2009 season.

It is a very high quality rifle. Built like Springfield Armorys M1A, that kind of quality.

To answer a few questions, it uses a .308 length action.

To date all I have fired is cheap-o Wolf, Monarch, and some kind of old military ball and it fires all of them great. No light hits or any of that junk. It has a 2 stage military trigger that is very shootable.

The 1907 sling is made from thick buffalo hide and has copper hooks, rings, and rivets. Easily a $50.00 service rifle sling.

The rear sight is the fixed two position flip peep. It will also accept the adjustable long range sight from a No4 or No5 Enfield if wanted.

The two downsides I have noticed are its weight and the safety. The weight comes from it being made of solid steel and teak. This keeps recoil very low but its a bear to carry all day. The safety is that old long throw Enfield and is impossible to reach from the firing position.

Without question, I like this rifle better than any other one I have ever owned. It's not for everybody, but it suits the niche I have perfectly.

Leadhead
July 3, 2009, 03:59 PM
what i've heard is that it was banned b/c the wood for the stock of all things came from an "EVIL" nation. seems that at least on some models the stock is Vietnamese Teak. i don't use this word often, but that's just LAME!

"no you can't have a gun made in a nation we have strong ties to b/c they bought the wood for the stocks from a nation that beat our fannies 40 years ago. (but the stuff MADE in Vietnam for Blackhawk and similar is fair game)"

I believe the entire gun is/was made in Vietnam for AIA.

I was going to get one from Marstar but they had some issues due to the AK Mag's i Canada.....the .308's are a available.

Deckard
July 3, 2009, 05:41 PM
Too bad neither one of them are readily available, it would appear.

As happens all too often with the rifles I want. I'd love one of these but prices have to be pretty out there given that only a handful were imported. Just reminds me of the disappointment when I wanted an M76 until I realized the ATF stopped importation and they run $2000.

Detritus
July 3, 2009, 06:05 PM
I believe the entire gun is/was made in Vietnam for AIA.

I was lead to beleive that AIA was building them at Lithgow, or using tooling surplused from there.

then again that (lithgow) don't make sense since the receivers are No4 style and AFAIK Lithgow never produced No.4 based rifles only No.1 variants.

would be nice to find out conclusively.

BlackHand1917
July 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
Man, that rifle is just neato in the extreme. An amalgram of two great rifles!

plainsbilly
July 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
I currently am looking at a m10 at my local gm. I would be EXTREMELY interested in a range report regarding actual accuracy before I spend $700 of hard earned money on something that cant hit a barn from the inside.

LC '92
July 7, 2009, 03:36 PM
I have only shot cheapy ammo out of mine to date. As soon as it cools off here in Texas I will start in earnest on accuracy.

I can say that with a 9X Leupold it shot two rounds of Monarch and one round of Silver Bear into 1.5 MOA. This certainly is far from conclusive but it was just too hot by the time I got it zeroed to continue.

I expect with my good Lapua brass and .311 diameeter V-maxes it will shoot into 1 minute.

If you don't buy the one you have your eye on, let me know as I'd sure like another.

no.5enfield
July 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
I need to start shopping at GM more often! I'm extremely jealous, been wanting one of these for a long time.

OpelBlitz
July 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
Well, I'm happy to say I joined the M10-A2 club a few months and although I occasionally have a few feeding issues (rare, but noticable), this thing is a very accurate 7.62x39mm platform and I think it has a lot of undeserved bad press. Oh, and I lost one of the sling mount screws... I have to admit though, I don't know how to disassemble the rifle, it needs a good cleaning!

Here's mine:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dl3k01.jpg

Pyromancy5
August 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
I have already posted this on 2 other threads today. I do not mean to spam, but I am trying to get some of the word out. I am looking for an AIA M10-A2 scope mount. f you have one or know where I can source one, please PM me or post here. Thanks

Radagast
August 7, 2010, 10:19 AM
If all else fails you can try my local gun shop here in Australia. He has done private export sales to the USA in the past and is a reseller for AIA.
jansa@hotkey.net.au
http://www.jansa.com.au/export.php

or try http://www.marstar.ca/index2.shtm
They are the Canadian distributor. They won't export whole guns to the USA, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they can send a scope mount.

Pyromancy5
August 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
Marstar does not have the scope mount only, they only come with the rifles as a package. Thanks for the lead. I will send him a message.

Pyromancy5
August 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
Can any M10 owners take pictures of their scope mount? all angles on its own, and the type of mounting screws would be a great big help for me to have one of these made if a ruler can be in the pics, it will help me model one of these in a CAD program.

Justin
August 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=70670&d=1199811473

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting 7.62x39 Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!