Why so few bids on gunbroker guns?

PDA

docsleepy
June 1, 2009, 09:57 PM
I thought guns were selling like crazy.

But when I go to gunbroker.com and check, say, .270 Remington 700, or Savage .223 or so, almost all the guns there have ZERO bids. Scattered amongst them might be a rifle with ONE bid.

Is the market for rifles this weak?

A local dealer offered a friend $150 for a nearly new Remington 700 in .270 with a new $100 scope on it! That got a chuckle from my friend, but after looking at the anemic level of bidding on gunbroker, maybe rifles aren't moving?

your impressions, please!

If you enjoyed reading about "Why so few bids on gunbroker guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larry starling
June 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
Because most of the auctions on Gunbroker are way over priced now. To Few bargains anymore for me. :barf::barf:

punkndisorderly
June 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
I think in general, most of the guns on gunbroker are overpriced. Especially when you figure in shipping, transfer fees, etc. This goes double for anything "popular". Add in the "don't know exactly what your going to get" factor and it's not so suprising.

The only way I would order from there is if I was looking for a very specific firearm and the chances of finding one locally were slim.

lipadj46
June 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
That and people are broke. No bubble lasts forever and those that thought it would were naive.

cyclopsshooter
June 1, 2009, 10:11 PM
had a guy come into the store this week to pick up a transfer his son bought online in iraq

it was a rem 700 converted to use a large box magazine- looked like a bubba, with a nast krylon cammo paint job-

shocked, the dad said his son paid 1200 for it

Flash!
June 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
no need to pay gunbroker prices when I can get anything I want at the gunshows, a lot cheaper...... and there is a gunshow almost every weekend around here.....

dullh
June 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
The above posters are right, in my opinion. The stuff on gunbroker is way overpriced now. The rifles have no bids, but the handguns, particularly S&W revolvers, are commanding scalpers prices - and people are paying! So I guess it depends on what category you look at.

oneounceload
June 1, 2009, 10:17 PM
As others have said, GB is WAY overpriced; also, standard hunting rifles are not "hot" at this moment.......called supply and demand

Avenger29
June 1, 2009, 10:19 PM
Standard bolt action rifles are simply not in demand, nor have they been in demand during this whole period.

Even the market for EBRs is starting to slow down.

JDGray
June 1, 2009, 10:21 PM
Its the Economy, man....:scrutiny:

docsleepy
June 1, 2009, 10:50 PM
thanks, guys. Sounds like you have it scoped out correctly.

gordon

berettashotgun
June 1, 2009, 10:52 PM
A lot of the rifles on GB are overpriced when I factor in shipping and transfer fee.
Had a rifle in the next state and the guy wanted $40 to send it to me. Nah, I'll pass.
I have found some shotguns that I specifically was looking for, pistols and AR's are in the stratosphere right now, but you have to be diligent about looking.

Arbor
June 1, 2009, 11:07 PM
People are still trying to sell guns at the prices they were going for 2 months ago, but people aren't biting anymore. Everyone who was wanted a gun bad enough to pay that much already got one. :rolleyes:

raskolnikov_22
June 1, 2009, 11:29 PM
As others have said, GB is WAY overpriced
A lot of guns (and ammo) at the gunshows are way overpriced too. You have to look for the deals. Same goes for Gunbroker, except there are items you will never find at a gunshow, like Colt DA revolvers. Hell, of the three shows I've been to lately, I have only run across one Hi-Power (plain jane Mark III) and it was snatched up within minutes, but I've bought two superb examples (1977 and 2008) on Gunbroker for roughly the same price and am extremely pleased. I've really come to appreciate GB over the last six years of buying and selling there.

wally
June 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
no need to pay gunbroker prices when I can get anything I want at the gunshows, a lot cheaper...... and there is a gunshow almost every weekend around here.....

Yup, years ago I used to check Gunbroker before a show, they were always higher than the worst deal I'd see later at the show, so I haven't looked at Gunbroker in years.

We are Lucky to have good gun shows and competing promoters in Texas.

--wally.

Runningman
June 1, 2009, 11:51 PM
Most of the rifles on gunbroker are way overpriced from what I can find locally. Seems like the market is saturated with normal hunting rifles and shotguns given the state of the economy.

Hungry Seagull
June 1, 2009, 11:56 PM
GB is behind the curve. That too will deflate soon enough.

If this is the case, then gun shops in general are not that far behind. Then just maybe things will settle down.

I recently closed down Ebay pernamently, they have become unnecessary. The thrifts and flea markets are in plenty right now along with the pawn shops.

dirtyjim
June 2, 2009, 12:23 AM
commonly available rifles & pistols will only get bids if its a good deal. the less common stuff gets bids unless its ridiculously overpriced & then sometimes it still sells. i collect pre-war sporting rifles & gunbroker is one of the best places to find them. i rarely see anything at the gunshows anymore thats even close to tempting but i could buy 10 rifles a day on gb if i could afford them.

Uncle Mike
June 2, 2009, 12:40 AM
Haven't you been keeping up with current events...:D the economy is bust, it just plain ol' sucks out there.
We have had hundreds of customers stop by to tell of jobs lost, layoffs, you name it... it is bad !:(

Also, gun broker just plain ol' blows.. that's right! Overpriced to the max.:cuss:
Not necessarily gun broker's fault... but it looks bad on them, and is bad for you...makes us a lot of money though!

I think the market was fueled by obama fear, but now everybody is holding onto their cash... the recession has finally sunk in with a lot of folks.

Clint C
June 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
Can't afford em. Lost my job and have a family.

rondog
June 2, 2009, 02:01 AM
I'll buy used guns from individuals, in person, and I'll buy Jeep parts and other misc. stuff on auctions, but I just don't have the nerve to risk getting screwed buying a gun sight unseen from an auction. I bought a FEG PA-63 blind from AIM Surplus, and a RIA Compact 1911 blind from Sarco, both were good deals and good guns. But auctions? I'm skeered.

evan price
June 2, 2009, 03:45 AM
IN general, the deals on GB ae mostly gone. People wised up. Now what you see are the people looking to skin somebody. Or, you get the same types you see at gun shows- who bring great stuff but never want to actually sell it. Reserve prices or buy-it-nows set to 2x the NRA 100% value for a reblued 80% gun?

If you look carefully you still find one or two deals. But you have to look very carefully, and a C&R gun on a C&R means no transfer fees.

schlockinz
June 2, 2009, 04:12 AM
I saw some Dan Wesson 10mm on there that were good deals, I also saw Wby Vanguard .257 wby mags that were selling for 500+ dollars, bottom specs, that I could buy new at wal-mart for less.

I'll stick to the stores around here, they have sold me a rifle and a pistol for less than I could get a hold of anywhere else.

DRYHUMOR
June 2, 2009, 05:33 AM
The deals are there, it just takes a lot of time to find them.

Models that were only made a short period of time, commeratives, certain calibers; those are the deals sometimes.

Then there are the sellers that keep re listing over and over, and get tired of it or need the cash, then re list it with no reserve and a fair start price.

Todd1700
June 2, 2009, 05:45 AM
The way I heard Gunbroker described best is that it now operates on the 'It Only Takes One Idiot' principle. Most of the people who list a gun on there now have a starting bid or reserve price that is ridiculously high. Why would any intelligent person pay more for a gun at Gunbroker than it would cost them to buy it at a local gun store. And then you have to pay shipping on the Gunbroker gun and have it sent to a FFL holder who will also charge you a fee. I think they know most people won't bid on them but like I said, "all it takes is one idiot."

The other thing I find hilarious is when people say, "I won a auction at Gunbroker." Uhmm, no. You didn't win anything. I bought a raffle ticket on a shotgun 3 years ago at a NWTF banquet and they drew my name out of the bucket. That's winning a gun. Being the high bidder at a Gunbroker auction just means you bought a gun. And probably paid waaaaaay too much for it as well.

Shear_stress
June 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
Sheesh. I've gotten many, many excellent deals on Gunbroker--even post-Obama. If you aren't finding them than you aren't looking hard enough. That's fine with me. The good deals are gone right quick.

CZguy
June 2, 2009, 10:02 AM
Sheesh. I've gotten many, many excellent deals on Gunbroker--even post-Obama. If you aren't finding them than you aren't looking hard enough. That's fine with me. The good deals are gone right quick.

That's very true. I sold a rifle recently in less than an hour, but it went at a fair price.

kanook
June 2, 2009, 10:37 AM
it appears that some people are using GB as a 401K instead of an auction site. some deals are still to be had, but not on a "no reserve auction" with a starting bid of what it costs new. :D

lipadj46
June 2, 2009, 11:03 AM
I stopped looking to buy on Gunbroker since January. I sold all of my sketchy surplus .308 (Indian and Czech mostly) for a crazy price, started the auction at $.01 was honest in my description and let it go. The Indian went for $300 for 550 rounds, mind you I cleaned it and picked out the bad rounds but still a tidy profit. My last 2 battle packs of SA .308 went for a more normal price ($150 for 280 rounds) a couple weeks ago so things are calming down and hopefully Gunbroker will be back to normal in a couple months.

SN13
June 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
I got lucky and got a barely used XDM .40 for $540 w/Shipping included and 1 extra mag (total of 3). Considering they go for 600-700 new, I think i did alright. $570 out the door after my Transfer.

BUT like most say, the prices are STUPID HIGH. I see items that I can get IN STOCK online for $300 going for $400 as the starting bid... i'm like ...yah, right.

claiborne
June 2, 2009, 05:18 PM
prices are through the moon on gunbroker, but it is the only place to find decent stock. I put up my guns for now and dusted off my fishing poles.

nwilliams
June 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
I see lots of good deals on gunbroker the problem is I don't have an FFL so in order for me to buy anything it has to be transferred to me and my local gun shops charge high transfer fees.

I've sold a lot on gunbroker and the one problem I find is that you have to price guns pretty low in order to get people to buy.

Ignition Override
June 3, 2009, 02:28 AM
Very interesting.

Being unable to find either an imitation or authentic LE Jungle Carbine (#5) near Memphis left me checking Gunbroker. But did not like the lack of enough photos, or those often had inadequate illumination. The ideas of trying out auction games, trusting peoples' descriptions and watching the clock were a turn-off.

Fortunately somebody reminded me of "Joesalter.com".
Luckily his huge number of old guns and militaria have numerous nice photos and they also have a set price.
The other nice invention is the phone number to ask a person about a gun...superior marketing concept.
The LE's bore is the only one in my milsurp rifles which is really bright and shiny, as described on the site. May return to Salter in a year or so for a # 4, unless a really good example can be found at a local gunshow (very unlikely).

skoad
June 3, 2009, 02:31 AM
actually i've found the opposite on a few of my gunbroker searches. Local shops that I visited lately quoted me close to $800 on a 700 sps tactical. Gunbroker still has quite a few in the $550-600 range.

New User
June 3, 2009, 03:02 AM
The deals are there, it just takes a lot of time to find them.

Models that were only made a short period of time, commeratives, certain calibers; those are the deals sometimes.

Then there are the sellers that keep re listing over and over, and get tired of it or need the cash, then re list it with no reserve and a fair start price.

I often check gunbroker to see what a gun I have been reading about looks like. Lately, the only good deals I have seen posted are for older rimfires, but only in the off-model categories.

A lot of gunbroker's prices beat my local prices, but once you factor in shipping and transfer fees, I have to ask myself, "Why bother?" I live in a community with few gun shops, and non of them stock a number of used firearms with realistic prices.

dillynfw
June 3, 2009, 08:55 PM
Buying guns on gunbroker is like trying to buy Star Trek memorabilia at a Star Trek convention. The dealers at gun show apparently feel a similar way.

And the other posters are right: people are now much more broke than they were on November 4, 2008.

SharpsDressedMan
June 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
GB only reflects the greediness of the persons listing for sale. I have had some great deals on GB, and even the mediocre deals saved me lots of time and money going to gun shows to find the same items. Factor in lost time going to gun shops or shows to find an interesting gun, and my time on the internet has paid off nicely. And as nasty as ebay is, prior to cutting magazines and gun parts, I have found real treasures there. Only occasionally now, but selling stuff on Ebay is still better than hauling it to or sitting at a table in a gunshow to dump it. I guess it all depends on what you are hoping to find.

lionking
June 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
Gunshows are better deals than auction sites?I don't think so at least not the shows I go to in fact most dealers sell crap for the price a nice one can be had for online.Now there are some dealers at shows who are good people and I do buy from them.

But yes,alot of items on auction sites are overpriced but if you search enough there are those that come around with decent pricing.AND on auction sites you will find items you would never never find at a show.

Auctionarms prices seem lately even worse compared to gunbroker actually,except a couple sellers like jakethedog.

Last time at a show I saw run of the mill Mosin's selling at $150,while on auction sites you can often score a nice hex more rare one for the same or even less.

Now new guns like Glocks and Rugers and such,yes auction sites often seem inflated.You just have to shop shop shop around that's all.

Big Daddy Grim
June 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
I saw a plain jane Walther P-22 go for $300 used I think I payed $199 for mine and still thought I over payed. Gunbroker to high no way around it what we need is better education for the people actually paying those prices and keeping them that high on gunbroker.

benzy2
June 3, 2009, 10:09 PM
The problem I have with gunbroker is the reason I use it to sell items I'm in no rush to move. You can relist for no charge. There is no penalty, other than your time, if the item doesn't sell. I have listed many items well above what I felt they were worth and in 3 months I'd get a bite and so far they have all paid quickly. I know it leads to all the high prices but there still seem to be good deals floating around, it just takes a little longer for them to pop up.

lionking
June 3, 2009, 10:26 PM
yes the fact that gunbroker doesn't charge listing fees does promote leave it high to it sells.There are good deals on auction sites,there are over priced items,same with gunshows and gun shops.You got to find the motivated sellers and bypass the guy who is selling a beat up Chilean mauser for $1000 when others sell nice ones for half that.And a guy who won't show good pics of a item I generally pass on also.You can't sell some rare milsurp for a crazy price and only post one fuzzy pic of it c'mon!

My local FFL have become friends of a sort because he has handled my many auction transfers at a decent rate ($25 for transfere).Because he is a good guy to me and have known a while I would be willing to pay a little more for a item in his store if I saw something I liked like a Glock or something.

The thing is,while he has Glocks and Rugers and stuff,I am not interested in those right now,mainly milsurps and gunstores and gunshows don't usually have rare or awesome condition Argentine mausers and Enfields and Arisaka's ect ect....

With patience and shopping around you don't have to pay a crazy price,but I tell you a awesome condition Swedish mauser at a gunshow will be sky high in price usually compared to waiting for the right one to pop up on a auction site.

justashooter in pa
June 3, 2009, 11:02 PM
one of the worst thigns about gunbroker is that it doesn't cost anything to list an item. because of this, more and more vendors are setting up electronic stores by listing hundreds of items they stock, and renewing the auction time and again regardless of how little they sell.

the worst ones will take the same holster and create a hundred listings for it with titles for all the different guns the krappy piece of black nylon will hold. this results in pages and pages of useless junk wasting the time of individuals who are searching for specific items, or just any old good deal.

gunbroker should adopt a 25 cent fee for each listing, or at least require the owner to specify new or used so that vendors of new junk can be optioned out in any given search. gunbroker has become a haystack with needles few and far between.

OrangePwrx9
June 3, 2009, 11:27 PM
Here in NY the gunshows have gotten crazy. Lowest prices you see are often about the same as the highest you see on gunbroker. Not only that but, handguns have virtually disappeared from NY gunshows. So gunbroker still works for me.

I've gotten several very good deals on BP arms, a couple fair deals on centerfire rifles and got taken once. My fault...I didn't do my homework. Best thing is when I'm looking for some discontinued model. Gunbroker saves a lot of driving around and looking.

All the interest recently has been in semi-automatic firearms. Guys selling ARs, AKs, Saigas, SKSs and accessories were mobbed at the last gunshow. Tables with hunting guns got little interest...but the prices were still high.
Bob

scotjute
June 4, 2009, 11:42 AM
Found better deals on this website than at GunBroker!

CZguy
June 4, 2009, 11:44 AM
Found better deals on this website than at GunBroker!

Yep.......plus one.

SharpsDressedMan
June 4, 2009, 01:49 PM
Found way more guns I was looking for on gunbroker than I have on websites, gunshows, or gunstores TOGETHER. You are looking at thousands of guns on gunbroker in a shorter period than it takes to look at hundreds at one gun show. Yes, the prices are occasionally better on a gun on a board, or in the local newspaper, but for me that usually amounts to a longshot, as most "good" deals are gone before I get to them........

c5_nc
June 4, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've bought and sold around $6k in guns over gunbroker so far this year. Part of the problem will ALWAYS exist under current system and its same problem that Ebay Autos has. Listings are free. Dealers just list many items for MSRP (or over) or really high prices. Its no concern they don't sale, they are not charged anything for listing. Same reason you see all the Cars on ebay for crazy high prices. Both require more work for the end user to sort through 90% of the junk. I sell there also, would like to pay a listing fee and have a lower final value fee. Every gun I have posted has sold, all but one gun part has sold on first go around. Auto relist even makes it easier, put an ad up and you are good for the next year without any additional work. One of our local dealers has 17 pages of auctions at all times. I've actually bought 3 items from them this year, every once in a while I will snag a 22lr rifle for $38, but you may see a Taurus Mill Pro that is used and rough listed for $550, when the same gun is $359-379 new at every other local dealer. It will probably be relisted for the next 3-4yrs. I wish you could search only items that have bids and a reserve that is met, on both sites.

zoom6zoom
June 4, 2009, 02:32 PM
I figure some of the high prices are from guys who aren't really interested in selling, but have them listed so they can tell their wives they're trying to.

TiredOleMan
June 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
Okay, I need a little esplaining here. Is Gunbroker & Ebang Auctions the same, just curious ?? I wouldn't buy a gun online but I did get a good deal on a replacement stock for my Mini off Ebang.

cchris
June 4, 2009, 04:10 PM
I always check gunbroker and local stores. Given that stores in upstate South Carolina are usually much cheaper when you get to little mountain towns, I still find better deals in those stores than I do on gunbroker. For example, a new Sig P226 was just under $600 in the store, and the same gun is going for $800 to $900 on gunbroker.

And a 10/22? I paid $180, and the price on gunbroker (that excludes the $25 shipping) is starting at $225 for the exact same one I have. Zero bids, of course. I understand, since I could pay $50-$70 less and buy it without having to deal with shipping it to an FFL.

Txhillbilly
June 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
I have bought many guns from Gunbroker and other internet gun auctions over the years,and have gotten some great deals on most.
You need to research whatever it is you are wanting to buy and then only bid what you are willing to pay for the gun. If the starting bid is too high,pass on it. If it doesn't sell,they may relist it at a lower price.
If you pay too much for a gun on one of the auctions,it is only your fault,not the sellers.You are or should be in control of what you do,and not get caught up in bidding wars on an item.
I have paid more than I wanted for a couple NIB unfired guns that are hard to find and that I wanted in my collection,but it was my choice to purchase them and was not the sellers fault that I paid more than the gun was worth according to the gun values book.

Gunbroker and the others are just a service for the buyers/sellers,so don't blame them for the prices. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for an item,and if it is more than what that item is worth,don't bitch when you decided to pay it. You made the choice to bid on it.

1shot3kills
June 4, 2009, 07:16 PM
ive been to the 2 gun shows here in dfw religiously and there are overpriced,ive seen a few things at double retail,and here lately havnt even been any good,alot of vendors selling jerky or something,maybe clothes,even "tactical bacon"......lol.....obama was the gun salesman of the year,everybody jumped on the "oh no" bandwagon and the gun stores loved it,now everybody else is trying to get rich of a firearm sale....me i dont get in a hurry and do a whole lot of browsing,and shopping.i will eventually find what i want at a low price,like 3 weeks ago i bought a sar3 in 5.56 with 4 extra mags and 300 rds of ammo for 300.00 from some one,....life is good....:evil:

ArmedBear
June 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
Why so few bids on gunbroker?

Same reason people don't usually volunteer to be waterboarded?

Ignition Override
June 5, 2009, 02:45 AM
One exception to my comments.

Although not considered "couth", I contacted a seller by phone and made a price agreement. The Mini 30 was a few years old but looked brand-new.
Even with a price similar to retail, the 'cherry' condition of the wood/stainless was worth it.
Nobody near here had any 30s for sale, except retail with 'polymer'.

THR "Buy, Sell, Trade" led to a surprising contact: the very reasonable seller met me between here and Nashville for his mint N. SKS in '08 (my first). Thanks again, Secret Agent "J"! It still looks almost perfect.
No fees, shipping.

LTR shooter
June 5, 2009, 03:49 PM
The rifles have no bids, but the handguns, particularly S&W revolvers, are commanding scalpers prices - and people are paying! So I guess it depends on what category you look at.

So true , just this week an auction ended that I had bid on , a Smith 617 - finally ended with 49 bids and sold for $835. Too rich for me.

Some rifle deals are there - a new 700CDL in .30-06 for $600 is way less than I have seen in any shop and like you say - no bids. One seller had the 700 SPS Tacticals in .308 for $550 which is less that what I can get one for locally.

frankd4
June 5, 2009, 05:24 PM
common sense says do not over pay
I have never seen a good deal on gun broker.

Rshooter
June 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have bought two shotguns and one SKS on Gunbroker and AuctionArms over the past two years at exceptional prices. Recently though I too have seen the prices go through the roof. I believe part of it is the Obama scare and part of it is good old American greed. Out in these parts we do not have many gun stores and the gun shows are just dealers showing up with their stock. Hopefully things will calm down before Obama gets tired of draining our wallets and starts aiming for our guns.

nwilliams
June 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
Why so few bids on gunbroker guns?

It's like Ebay, most people wait until the last minute before putting their bid in.

There are deals to be had on gunbroker if you look around, especially for dealers who don't need to worry about transfer fees. I've never bought a gun off gunbroker myself but I've sold a lot of guns on that site and I always do pretty well.

CZguy
June 5, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hopefully things will calm down before Obama gets tired of draining our wallets and starts aiming for our guns.

I'm just guessing, but I bet he can do both. :D

kragluver
June 6, 2009, 01:08 AM
It depends on what you're looking for (with regard to Gunbroker). I recently purchased a very nice, original finish 03A3 for a very reasonable price. A week later, my buddy did the exact same thing. The deals are still out there. I've found that if I watch GB for a month or two before starting to bid on an item, I get a good feel for what a "good" deal is. I also read a lot of forums.

CoRoMo
June 6, 2009, 01:20 AM
There's a HUGE difference between the sporting rifle market and the black rifle market.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why so few bids on gunbroker guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!