Ruger rings are bottoming out?

PDA

berettashotgun
June 1, 2009, 10:47 PM
I used a Ruger MkII 300 win for a few years and put it in the safe, that was 5 years ago.
A good friend was looking for a 300 win chambered rifle and ,well, I sold it to him.
He ordered a scope - Leupold rifleman 4-16x40 - and told me he thought the rings were bottoming out; this is a very honest friend, he isn't sure - but is thinking about getting some new rings. This makes me feel bad, those rings are pricey.
I have another set around here someplace but haven't found them yet. I will get them to him to try.
I'm just asking has anybody had this happen? I used a 1" scope and I KNOW these are NOT 30mm rings, but I just don't have very much time scopeing ruger rifles. I have several #1's and can't recall this ever happening - but I don't remember.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger rings are bottoming out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arbor
June 1, 2009, 10:49 PM
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but do the rings have any kind of plastic inserts?

berettashotgun
June 1, 2009, 10:54 PM
Big negative - factory ruger rings are kinda nice, except for the cheap screws. Black screws in stainless rings:barf:

Kernel
June 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
What does "bottoming out" mean? You mean with the rings tightened down all the way on the scope the scope is still loose?

Don't buy anything. Call Ruger and they'll send you new rings, any size, any type they make, free of charge and they'll pay the shipping too. They may ask you to return the rings you have but if they do they will supply a postage paid envelope.

At least that's what the did for me the 5 or 6 times I needed different rings.

lipadj46
June 1, 2009, 11:00 PM
He ordered a scope - Leupold rifleman 4-16x40 - and told me he thought the rings were bottoming out;

Does he have the rings mounted backwards? Ruger rings are 2 different heights correct? Otherwise I'm not sure what he means by the rings bottoming out.

berettashotgun
June 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
By "bottoming out" I mean, the top ring half doesn't compress - or have a little gap to the bottom half of the ring when he begins to tighten the screws.
I don't believe the rings are a different height on a Mk. II rifle.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
June 4, 2009, 08:09 PM
You better have different height rings on a MkII--otherwise you have big problems.

Is the scope tight?? If it is, there isn't a problem.

lipadj46
June 4, 2009, 08:56 PM
By "bottoming out" I mean, the top ring half doesn't compress - or have a little gap to the bottom half of the ring when he begins to tighten the screws.

You mean there is a small gap where the top and bottom of the rings meet? This is normal as long as the scope is tight and not moving. You may need to torque them down a bit not sure if you used a torque wrench or not.

I don't believe the rings are a different height on a Mk. II rifle.

I believe they are and that is why Ruger gives you rings with the rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger rings are bottoming out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!