Addition to the family

PDA

ole farmerbuck
June 2, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well here's the new member. A Savage .223. I've never owned a bolt 223 but i do now. I read good things about this rifle so i decided to give it a try. I shot a box of Remington 55g fmj's. Yes, i cleaned the barrel often. They didnt group too bad but thought i'd reload a few of the cases and give it a try. I used H335 with 55g sp's and backed off from max about 1.5g and i was really suprised. I only loaded 3 because of time but they grouped really nice. The 1st two shots shared the same hole and the other was really close to the others. I think i will be happy with my new son. I got some Reloader 10x, anyone use any of this?
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/Savage223.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Addition to the family" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ole farmerbuck
June 2, 2009, 07:21 AM
Boo hoo, nobody likes my new gun? lol

Uncle Mike
June 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
Awwww they all like your new rifle, they are probably, just red with envy and will have to cool off before they can post.....hehehehe:D

Nice rifle....try a series of shot strings, say, 20 or so 5 shot groups then decide on where your new rifle and load is in the pecking order of things.

BTW... what is a 'bole 223'?:confused:

maskedman504
June 2, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think the 't' and the 'e' are regional neighbors and he was going for bolt. ;)

Schutzen
June 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
They may not like it, but you will. Try 24.4 grs H335 pushing a 55gr Serria Blitz King. Sweet! My Savage loves them. Unfortunatly so do my two sons and my son-in-laws Savages. Ya got to load fast to keep up with 4 Savages.

Uncle Mike
June 2, 2009, 12:07 PM
Silly me... 'bolt'.... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about the ammo hungry Savages.... seems as though a accurate gun is indeed an interesting gun. :D

ole farmerbuck
June 2, 2009, 02:35 PM
Yep bolT I'll look in my book and see just how much 335 i used. I was hoping someone had tried the reloader 10x. Its easier to find around here than the 335 but thats ok, i still have plenty of the 335. Getting busy with the farming/spraying now so i might have to wait on the perfect load for a while.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 2, 2009, 08:04 PM
Looks good to me! :)

ole farmerbuck
June 2, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks Doc! :) Well it looks like i used 22.8 grains of h335. I was using Hornadys manual. There is a lot of differance between Hodgdon and Hornady. Hornady says start at 20.8 and stop at 23.2. Hodgdon web site shows start at 23.0 and stop at 25.3. I'm sure i looked at them right but i'd better look again. Anyway, i got 100+ cases resized and primed tumbling to get the lube off. Slowly, i'll get some loaded to find out what it wants to shoot. For the price, i think its a pretty good gun. I already had the 4x12 Bushnell scope. I couldnt open the bolt on my Marlin 22mag to open all the way with the scope on it so i had to get something that would work with it. Good excuse anyway.:D

SaxonPig
June 2, 2009, 11:18 PM
The Savage is supposed to be a good shooter.

Ohio Gun Guy
June 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
I've been looking at those.......

nice rifle!

ole farmerbuck
June 2, 2009, 11:44 PM
I wonder how important it is to clean the barrel like they say to do it. If so, i'll be spending a lot more time cleaning than i will shooting.
FAQs: Barrel Break-In Procedure
Q. What is the barrel break-in procedure?

A. Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

Fire one round
Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

Fire a 3 shot group
Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

Fire a 5 shot group
Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

TEC
June 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hey V -

Looks like a fine shooter to me! Congratulations. I am really interested in how you "break in" the rifle -- shooting / cleaning / shooting etc. How did you clean the new rifle before the 1st shot and in between shots? And, can you post some technical particulars about your experience re-loading .223 target rounds? I am thinking about getting into reloading, and .223 will be the first round I am interested in reloading. Thanks.

ole farmerbuck
June 3, 2009, 12:09 AM
I cleaned the barrel before i shot it. It was pretty dirty for a new gun. I think i cleaned it 4 times in the few times i shot it. (about 30 shots) I havent had time to work on loads yet but i have H335, reloader 10x, H380 and a few others if needed. But, h335 should be the ticket i think.

New User
June 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
I'm looking at the picture and am guessing that the rifle shown is a Stevens 200 (because of the stock color). Am I correct? Also, what optics did you decide to mount on the gun?

By the way, I am envious of your purchase, your reloading skills, and your shooting skills. Not to mention my envy of your time to shoot. Thanks for sharing, it is nice to live vicariously while I am all wrapped up in school and work.

gvnwst
June 3, 2009, 12:27 AM
Sweet, range report stat! (pics that is;))

ole farmerbuck
June 3, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'm looking at the picture and am guessing that the rifle shown is a Stevens 200 (because of the stock color). Am I correct? Also, what optics did you decide to mount on the gun?

By the way, I am envious of your purchase, your reloading skills, and your shooting skills. Not to mention my envy of your time to shoot. Thanks for sharing, it is nice to live vicariously while I am all wrapped up in school and work

You're right. Its a 200. The scope is a Bushnell 4x12 that i just bought to put on my Marlin 22mag. The bolt hit so i put the 3x9 back on it and got this for the scope. No need of having a scope sitting around doing nothing!
Yes, its nice living in the country and farming and being able to carry around what ever gun i want and shoot whenever i want. Some day you will be old like me (51) and wish you were young again. Enjoy your young age while you can.

ole farmerbuck
June 3, 2009, 12:39 AM
Range report ASAP.

sarduy
June 3, 2009, 12:53 AM
GREAT LOOKING RIFLE, I LIKE IT A LOT ;)

i'm looking at the same rifle in .308 but i haven't decide yet.

Awwww they all like your new rifle, they are probably, just red with envy and will have to cool off before they can post.....hehehehe

^^^ LMFAO

rangerruck
June 3, 2009, 01:40 AM
is that a savage, or a stevens? also, you may wanna channel out the stock
a bit, just to make sure.... also, I like a nice bbl break in procedure, but that is a bit more than I like. I like one time, back and forth with a brass brush.... 5 times, keeps dragging rough crud back into your bbl. also , I do the one shot, one clean, for 5 times, then I do the 5x5, and that is it.

New User
June 3, 2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks for promptly posting your responses to my questions. I keep waffling on my next gun purchase, but your report has me leaning closer to the Stevens 200. I think I may purchase a SA, but I have deer and black bear to hunt, so I am leaning towards a .308 over the .223 or .243.

Which bases did you use to mount your scope?

ole farmerbuck
June 3, 2009, 07:42 AM
is that a savage, or a stevens?

Well, the box says Stevens but the gun has Stevens on the barrel and the bolt. Maybe its a Stevens made by Savage? I think the higher end with accutrigger is called Savage. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Which bases did you use to mount your scope?

I dont know. The dealer furnished the mounts and rings and i had the scope.

mugsie
June 3, 2009, 08:06 AM
I have a Savage model 12 in .223 and it's a complete tack driver. Try, if you cana get it, BL-C(2) or Varget also. The Varget likes a heavier bullet, 62 grains or more, since the lighter bullets really fill up the case. The 62 grain also likes the 1:9 twist too. I've shot 69 grains as well and it'll digest just about everything I give it. If you have the accutrigger, you'll find a comfortable setting for youself and it makes all the difference in the world. With 55g FMJBT's and BL-C(2) 25.5g's, benched, it's sub MOA at 100yards for 5 shot groups. You're going to be really pleased.

gvnwst
June 3, 2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe its a Stevens made by Savage?
All stevens rifles (maybe not the really old ones, i don't remember) are made by savage, i was told that they use the older tooling from the lest gen savage rifles, hence no accutrigger and stuff. But they are still super accurate, and CHEAP! :D

Reid73
June 3, 2009, 01:36 PM
I wonder how important it is to clean the barrel like they say to do it. If so, i'll be spending a lot more time cleaning than i will shooting.You can go through that drill if you want to. Some people feel that it makes no difference whatsoever. Others think that it is essential. I have never seen definitive proof either way.

NC-Mike
June 3, 2009, 01:45 PM
You can go through that drill if you want to. Some people feel that it makes no difference whatsoever. Others think that it is essential. I have never seen definitive proof either way.

The more I read and think about barrel break-in, the more ridiculous it seems.

ole farmerbuck
June 8, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm getting closer to the range report. I'm going to test Reloader 10x, H335, Blc-2 and H380. Bullets will be Nosler 40g, Hornady 52g bthp, Hornady 55g vmax and Hornady 55g sp. I got most of them loaded yesterday and will finish them this evening hopefully. I had to move a big tree that blew over so i can walk out of the reloading room right to a 100 yard range. I told my dealer yesterday if this thing shoots as good as i think its going to, i'll want one in 22-250. I'll prob sell my Ruger varmit 22-250. Its just too heavy any more. (old age) ;)

FLNT4EVR
June 8, 2009, 11:05 AM
After shooting about 200 rnds thru my Stevens 223 I have found that it will shoot good with anything you feed it.I'm one of those guys who don't go thru the long break in process. Just clean it ,when you first bring it home ,then shoot it,...a lot. Once you have it sighted in ,keep in mind that after you clean it the point of impact may likely change,but 3 or 4 fouling shots will put you right back to point of aim.

ole farmerbuck
June 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thats good to hear. Everything i shot through it to start with grouped good. Point of impact was different with different bullets but all grouped well.

ole farmerbuck
June 10, 2009, 12:02 AM
The wind was blowing tonight but i shot some anyway. This was with Reloader 10x and 55g vamx bullets. Not too bad for as strong as the wind was. I'll try it again tomorrow if its calm. I need all the help i can get.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/stevens223.jpg

ole farmerbuck
June 10, 2009, 12:05 AM
And this was H335 with 40g Noslers. Remember, the wind was pretty strong and i hurried.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/H335.jpg

ole farmerbuck
June 11, 2009, 10:56 PM
Looks like the Stevens is gonna like the 52g bthp's too.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/Rangereport.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Addition to the family" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!