Help me choose a good 9mm range gun

PDA

Beav
October 18, 2003, 07:32 PM
I realized my collection is lacking a good 9mm range gun. I do have a CZ P01 which is a great gun but I want a full size 9mm handgun for the range. One that'll be my main range gun so I can shoot a ton of cheap 9mm ammo through it for practice. I was thinking about a Glock 17 but I'm really not a Glock guy. So any suggestions? :cool:

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me choose a good 9mm range gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
October 18, 2003, 07:36 PM
What's your budget? In 9mm, I like the Beretta 92fs, HK's P7M8, the USP 9, & the SA 1911 in 9mm. There are alot of choices out there & half the fun might be shooting a ton of diff't guns to find the one that you like best ;)

Sheldon
October 18, 2003, 07:42 PM
After reading the article in the latest issue of the Blue Press Dillon catalog about the guy shooting the Glock 34 and cleaning house against all the big name shooter, I would love to give that pistol a try. The few times I have tried the Glocks I could not get used to the triggers or the feel of the pistols in general. I'm sure if I practiced with them enough I'de learn to like them....after dropping in a 3.5lb trigger into it that is.

As is, I have a couple Beretta 92FSs that I really like a lot.

Beav
October 18, 2003, 07:47 PM
Budget around the $500 mark but I could stretch it if its truely worth it.

I would prefer to have something different than what I already have and I want a full sized gun. I already have an H&K and a Beretta but in different caliber. The 1911 in 9mm sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

What about the Ruger P89?

Thanks

Pilot
October 18, 2003, 07:53 PM
Browning Hi Power, 1911 in 9MM or CZ-75B.

BevrFevr
October 18, 2003, 07:56 PM
skip the p89.

That is the gun you buy when you have 200 and stretch it out a bit.

lots of nice 9mms in your price range. HP, xd, gluck, steyr, S&W.

If I had 500 for another handgun right now I would look into a nice hp or a entry level 1911.

If you don't have a full size cz you owe it to yourself to get one. Maybe and 85.

have fun -bevr

CZ52GUY
October 18, 2003, 08:23 PM
Ruger P95DC
Low price, generally reliable, nice trigger, not very flashy, well within your price range for target practice.

CZ-75B
A truly tremendous value for the money. Shoots better than most operators. Nice trigger, great value, and expect probably a longer life span than most. Some suggest 124gr minimum, others say that +P is required for true reliability. I've put several hundred rounds of White Box through mine without incident. High cap mag's can still be found for a price.

SIG Pro 2009
Sig's Polymer line, very reliable, has some muzzle flip to be adjusted too...has a proprietary slide rail (mine has night sights). I like mine a lot.

My buddy has a G19 I like to shoot a lot. My G22 & G23 have been extremely durable and reliable. Glock triggers do take some getting used to, but I find that once you get used to it, it's not a problem....you're probably looking for a G17 minimum for the size you described.

My other shooting buddy has the G34...the "super sized" Glock in 9mm. I've enjoyed the times I've shot that as well.

XD makes a nice piece (I've only tried the 40) but I'm sure than 9 is quite fine as well.

There are a lot of great choices out there. I'd suggest some "try before you buy" as a range rental or a "range borrow" from a friend.

Push comes to shove...I'd recommend the CZ-75B is the best value over the long haul.

Good luck!

CZ52'

Gary G23
October 18, 2003, 08:26 PM
Springfield Armory XD-9

Blueduck
October 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
Two weeks ago I picked up a brand new 92FS on sale for $539. LNIB model could likely be bought for far under your mark. After three range sessions and close to 500 rounds gotta say I just keep getting happier and happier with my purchase.

Very light recoil of course, virtually no annoying muzzel blast due to the longer bbl. Putting 200 rounds downrange in once session is a pure joy (as opposed to feeling like chore with my old G23). 200 rounds for a sawbuck and change from walmart and don't even have to bother picking up the brass at that price. Long sight radius makes accurate shooting fairly easy. Gun looks good and is easy to field strip and clean. Bought 4 milsurp pre-bans for for less than I paid for ONE Glock 19 preban, and I'm convinved these all metal mags will last longer than Glocks should a permanant ban be brought on next year. Current U.S. Service pistol and very popular with both police and civillians so holsters and other accesories abound etc. etc..

Oh and should the love continue to grow and I want to go a different direction than just a functional range gun there a are a whole lot of accesories and quality smiths dedicated to the 92FS. Would note I did exchange the hammer spring for a D model one which makes for a much nicer trigger pull, about $3 and well worth it.

Like I said, could not be happier with my pick:D

Flashpoint
October 18, 2003, 08:47 PM
Sig-:D

Flashpoint
October 18, 2003, 08:49 PM
Thought of anouther idea.

Get 2 P-89s and learn to shoot them both at the same time:neener:

Beav
October 18, 2003, 09:02 PM
:scrutiny: @ Flashpoint :D

Lets not get ahead now, I need to be good with one gun first. Then I'll sign up for gun-kata and then maybe the "shooting from motorcycles" course. ;)

I'm leaning towards a Springfield 1911 loaded 9mm. Its a bit more than $500 but it just seems like the right gun considering how much I enjoy shooting my Kimber.

Thanks for all the replies!

Longbow
October 18, 2003, 09:02 PM
Glock 17/34 (just avoid an "E" series S.N.#), CZ75 or its variants, S.A. XD, Ruger P89/96. All of these guns enjoys a good reputation of reliabilty and durability.

Longbow
October 18, 2003, 09:06 PM
Beav,
Just a reminder that a 1911 chambered in 9mm are sometimes finicky. How 'bout a BHP or its clones instead?

Beav
October 18, 2003, 09:11 PM
Ah I wasn't aware of that. Good to know since I want something as close to a "sure bet" as I can get considering my current lemon :banghead:

My collection is missing a HiPower ;)

cool45auto
October 18, 2003, 10:30 PM
Beretta 92FS:D

Dr.Rob
October 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
BHP

or for $500 you could buy TWO FEG HP clones.

That's a lot of shooting.

Flashpoint
October 18, 2003, 11:47 PM
BHP

or for $500 you could buy TWO FEG HP clones

and learn to shoot them at the same time:D :neener:

DMK
October 18, 2003, 11:55 PM
I do have a CZ P01 which is a great gun but I want a full size 9mm handgun for the range. And you have to ask?

You should be asking yourself why you don't have a CZ-75B yet? :D

Seriously, The '75B is a great range gun and would be great practice for your P-01. Plus it has that super great .22LR Kadet slide as a factory accessory!

OR

If you really wannacoolgun, get yourself one of those oh so czexy pre-B CZ-75s. :cool:

Ala Dan
October 19, 2003, 12:12 AM
SIG-SAUER P226

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

wardog
October 19, 2003, 12:15 AM
Browning High Power

fnforme
October 19, 2003, 12:22 AM
SIG Sauer P226. The best fullsize 9mm made. Period. Just ask the SEALs

CDNN Investments has them now in excellent condition for $379 and hi-cap mags are affordable. You won't be disappointed.:)

BHPshooter
October 19, 2003, 12:39 AM
Just 3 weeks ago, I got myself a Hi Power clone to complement my real one. It's pretty darn great at throwing lead. If you're looking for a low-cost plinker, it would take a lot to justify NOT getting a HP clone.

Just my two coppers. ;)

Wes

Black Majik
October 19, 2003, 03:44 AM
Sig Sauer P226

It truly is worth the stretch. :D

Rich357
October 19, 2003, 07:22 AM
Hi Beav,

This is one of the best 9mm range guns, IMHO, the S&W Performance Center 952-1. The going "street" price is about $1,200. It has a steel slide and steel frame. It should hold up well for many rounds.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/pc/images/952.jpg

It has an outstanding trigger, excellent fit and finish. Mine has been completely reliable. With the safety on you can dry fire all you want. The hammer falls on a block and doesn't contact the pin.

Another pistol you might consider is the SIG P226ST in 9mm. They cost about $900 to $1,000.

Good luck,
Rich

jacketch
October 19, 2003, 08:00 PM
My recommendations:
BHP
CZ
P239

uglymofo
October 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
BHP

denfoote
October 19, 2003, 10:15 PM
Now there is a loaded question if ever I heard one!!
How much you want to spend??
I can say that I have more 9mm pistols than I know what to do with. From a vintage Browning High Power to a Taurus PT-92!! They all function. They all go bang every time I squeeze the trigger. Like I said, it all boils down to how much you want to spend. Personally, I would skip the high price guns and go with the Ruger P95!!

Mastrogiacomo
October 19, 2003, 11:27 PM
A Beretta 92FS comes to mind...:D

Jeff OTMG
October 20, 2003, 12:31 AM
Depends on your budget. SIG P210. Step down to SIG P226 Sport. Step down S&W 952 (good luck locating one). The Beretta Billinium is a fine accurate pistol and low recoil due to its weight. CZ makes a single action only that might be available in 9mm, if not a CZ85 Combat converted to SA only is a good choice as all CZ's that I have tried are very accurate. And don't forget the Browning HP.

BHPshooter
October 20, 2003, 12:35 AM
I must apologize for my very vague, very useless post earlier this thread. I don't know what I was on.

Let me try to restate the intent of my original post.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I got my second Hi Power, a clone. It is a FEG PJK-FP9. It cost me $200, has a beautiful finish, and after attaining one of my sets of aftermarket grips, feels just as great as my Browning. So far I've got about 200 rounds through it, and as far as I can tell, the one little hangup was my fault -- I think I didn't let the slide go, but tried to help it forward, creating a failure to feed. Other than that, I trust it as well as my other. I trust it enough to carry, if that means anything to you.

Just another opinion to muddy up the water! :neener:

Wes

BigG
October 20, 2003, 09:41 AM
You can pick up good used SIG P226s with high capacity mags (15 rd) for around 400 bucks, nowadays. About as good as it gets for a full sized 9.

Litlman
October 20, 2003, 10:35 AM
CZ 75, under $400. New BHP's are at the local Gander Mtn. from $600 to $700 Ruger P series, P89, I think for under $400. Good Luck.

Berg01
October 20, 2003, 11:00 AM
A lot of really good suggestion on this post, so I'll throw one in that has not been mentioned yet; Sig P220 9mm, IMHO one of the very best all-around full-size 9mm service pistols!

CZ-100
October 20, 2003, 11:11 AM
Any of the Variants of the CZ-75, CZ-85 will do nicely! :D

Skunkabilly
October 20, 2003, 11:30 AM
Beretta 92G with carbon fiber grips and carbon fiber pattern concealex holster and magpouch.

357SIG
October 20, 2003, 07:51 PM
- full-sized gun
- $500 limit
- Not a Glock guy (no G17)
- No Beretta
- No H&K

Oh man...this is going to be tough. Not many options left, unless you buy a used SIG P226 or an S&W auto in the 5900 series. I'd go for the Beretta 92FS, personally. I have one in stainless and it shoots great!

Mannlicher
October 20, 2003, 08:46 PM
If you want a good range gun, or a good 9mm period. its hard to go wrong with a Ruger P89.

rde
October 21, 2003, 12:40 AM
Ruger P-89 or P-95 in stainless.

CZF
October 21, 2003, 01:12 AM
Get a BHP. You probably won't shoot it with +P+ ammo, so
frame cracking is not an issue. Of all the 9mms on the market,
They feel more like a CZ75, so you should be set.

Has anyone handled a DALY HP??

Jeff OTMG
October 21, 2003, 09:38 PM
OOPS, forgot about that $5oo limit. Change mine recommendation to CZ or BHP.

Poohgyrr
October 21, 2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Power , or a CZ 75B for 9X19. A good 1911 in 9X23 might be pretty useful....

JeepDriver
October 21, 2003, 10:31 PM
I realized my collection is lacking a good 9mm range gun. I do have a CZ P01 which is a great gun but I want a full size 9mm handgun for the range. One that'll be my main range gun so I can shoot a ton of cheap 9mm ammo through it for practice. I was thinking about a Glock 17 but I'm really not a Glock guy. So any suggestions?

The Glock 17 would be a great choice for a range gun, CCW gun, HD/SD gun, and darn near any other type of gun. Some people don't like them, I use to be one of those people. But now I have 2 17's. I'm torture testing one right now I have 2600 rounds through it w/o cleaning of any sort. It still works perfectly. Only real down side is the standard cap mags are expensive right now. Best price I've seen is $45 or so from CDNN for military contract mags. They work fine with ball ammo but won't feed HP's very well.

The BHPis a nice pistol. And would be a good range gun as well. There are plenty of cheap 17 round mags avaliable that are fairly reliable (mine work fine if I only load 16 rounds) The single action trigger is nice, and can be made even better with the removal of the mag disconnect. There are also plenty of lower price clones avaliable. I've gone off of mine since the sear leaver broke @ 2000 rounds. It's been sitting in the safe since then.

The Beretta 92FS is another one to consider. I got mine after shooting a friends Onyx Brig model. The gun works really well for someone with big hands. The trigger is a bit long in both DA/SA but that's a $150 trip to LTT. There are plenty of 15 round mags avaliable for fair prices.

The Ruger P95 is a great gun. I bought mine years ago when I didn't have any money. It was the best $350 I've spent on a gun. I have shot over 15K rounds through it and it just keeps going! I've shot everything from 115 gr FMJ to 127+P+ to 147gr HP's, it takes it all. I bought the 15 round USA mags from CDNN and added Wolf P89 +5% springs and Ruger followers to them for about $28 per mag total. They have been perfect. I can still pick that gun up and shoot just as well if not better then guns that cost 2 and 3 times as much.

The Sig 228 is another option. When you pick it up you'll understand. They feel really good in your hand. I've only had mine a few months but it has been 100% so far. I've tried several different ammo's and the gun eats all of it. CDNN has 13 round Pro Mags that fit and function perfectly. See here (http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=95660072&r=70160172#70160172) for a full range report.

I hope I don't ever have to choose just one cause I'd be hard press to pick a favorite from my collection

Futo Inu
October 22, 2003, 01:15 AM
Did you say how big your hands are?

For *MY* 9x19mm, combination Fun Range Gun/Noob Inductor, and Vehicle Carry Pistol, I'm planning on the CZ 85B Combat, with thin Hakan grips. You already have and like a CZ, so why not. But, if you WANT variety....

BHP is nice nice choice. Or clone of same.

Also in your price range is the Springfield XD and SigPro 2009 if you want to go polymer. You can also load 9x19 into .40 mags, for some quasi-standard cap mags, legally. Glock too, and they're tough as nails, but I'm off Glocks because of the grip angle. I do like the model 34 Glock a *little* however as a good fun range gun. Or one of the old 17Ls.

Dunno if you could stretch the budget to get a Sig 228 or 229, but man it's hard to go wrong there.

If your hands are bigger, then maybe a Beretta 92 or double stack 1911. Don't know anything about the Billinium Jeff OTMG speaks of, but do know from experience that Jeff speaks wisely on the subject of auto pistols.

I don't buy s&w or Ruger, since they contribute to the demise of my gun rights.

Black Snowman
October 22, 2003, 09:23 AM
For a range gun my recomendations would be:
Styer M9
CZ-85B Combat
CZ-75B SA
Glock (used you can get a good deal. A 34 would be hard to find but a 17 shouldn't be. If you can find a 17L for under $500 it would have some collectors value, though not a ton).
Jericho (AKA Baby Eagle AKA UZI Eagle)
Walther P99
Taurus M905 Revolver (There's something differant for ya ;) )

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me choose a good 9mm range gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!