Best rimfire handgun?

PDA

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 06:43 PM
I've been looking for a good target gun that won't break me but still be a lot of fun. Easier said than done. The guns I've considered are the Walther P22, S&W 617 (if I can find a used) and Ruguer SP101. Suggestions? Massachusetts doesn't allow for much so I'm probably limited.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best rimfire handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wild Bill
October 18, 2003, 06:56 PM
you have mail

semf
October 18, 2003, 07:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Ruger MK I or II. If you look for used, which is about all I buy, they can be found for about $150 new I think they are less than $250.

farscott
October 18, 2003, 07:07 PM
1) Used S&W M41. Should be less than $500 for one of the great American target pistols.

2) Used S&W M17 (K-22 Masterpiece). Should be around $300. The older M17's (and pre-Model revolvers) do not have the full-lug barrel and have great balance. My two samples are my favorite rimfires -- and my most shot guns.

3) Used S&W M18 (K-22 Combat Masterpiece). Also around $300. This is the same revolver as the M17, only with a four-inch barrel and a ramp front sight.

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
I was just talking with someone earlier about how nice the Mark IIs are but they seem to be a pain trying to take them apart. I also had trouble trying to release the mag -- kept looking for the release button where they was none...:o All in all, a nice gun but I think I want something more user friendly. The S&W (used) is a good option.

sch40
October 18, 2003, 07:17 PM
I'm a bit of a novice, so bear with me...
Why would you prefer a rimfire handgun over a center-fire? Especially if you plan on using it for target shooting? :confused:

thanks
-sch40

hansolo
October 18, 2003, 07:20 PM
Another vote for the Ruger MKII. The grip angle approximates a 1911 if you want to train your muscle memory... it's about as malfunction-free as anything ever made, and, if you pull the trigger as fast as you can, it gives the "full-auto" rush.:cool:....not that we law-abiding civilian shooters would WANT to have that much fun...:neener:

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 07:21 PM
This would be a target gun for the range. I have three Beretta 9mm (one to my Dad now) so it's not for self-defense. The ammo in the .22 would be cheaper so I can work on my skills.

BTW -- for those recommending the Mark II -- how long does it take to learn how to take apart the gun and put it together -- and could you learn that on your own without help?

SnWnMe
October 18, 2003, 07:31 PM
A 617 will shoot circles around the other guns on your list all day.

Of course if you ask for the BEST rimfire, it's the Model 41. Keep it happy with standard vel ammo.

Sheldon
October 18, 2003, 07:42 PM
With all the Berettas, you ever consider getting one of them 22lr conversion kits for them? I got one for one my 92FS and just love it. I have it setup semi-permanently on one and switch between the two when I start to flinch from the recoil. Bad thing is they usually go for around $270 and for that kind of money you can get a whole Ruger MKII 22. I was very fortunate to find one for $180 and am glad I jumped on it.

I have three of the Ruger MKIIs and love them as well. You can learn to take them apart easily. Do not let that scare you from getting one.
Here is a thread from the RimfireCentral.com board about that very subject.
Thread about MKII takedown and reassembly. (http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34945)

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 07:45 PM
I had considered the kit but decided I wanted a different gun for that than using my Beretta. So far, I'm leaning to the S&W 41 or used 617.

VictorLouis
October 18, 2003, 07:52 PM
I'm leaning to the S&W 41 or used 617. I echo that sentiment....:D

Hkmp5sd
October 18, 2003, 07:54 PM
The Ruger Mk1s and Mk2s are good rimfire guns. Another possibility for really good accuracy is a Ruger Single-Six .22LR/.22WMR with a 6.5" or 9.5" barrel. I have the 6.5" and love it.

ACP
October 18, 2003, 08:11 PM
My NIB M41 went back to S&W TWICE for the same problem -- failure to feed more than one round at a time -- before I sold it and took a bath. Never had any problems with my S&W M17.

Longbow
October 18, 2003, 08:13 PM
I recommend S&W 41 or Browning Buckmark 5.5(?) Field (the one with a bull barell and sights shroud).

P95Carry
October 18, 2003, 08:31 PM
Hkmp5sd - ditto re the single six 6 1/2 .... I love mine too .... :)

http://www.bedford.net/design/cb_gun2/single_six02_s.jpg

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 08:42 PM
Are the single six had to use? I've never used a gun where the barrel came out completely...just S&W guns so far.

Hkmp5sd
October 18, 2003, 08:44 PM
Do you mean cylinder? It takes about 2 seconds to swap the cylinders. Very simple.

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 08:51 PM
I'm tired, can't you tell? :o Yes, the cylinder. I've never experienced a gun where the cylinder came out completely. It's "simple?" I like the gun actually and thought of getting one. My father is a big Clint Eastward cowboy film fan so I'm sure he'd take to it quickly too. :D

BTW -- isn't that barrel a bit much? Does it add a lot of weight or does it have good balance? I've never handed anything in a 4" revolver. I wonder about the 5 1/2 though...is six better for accuracy?

P95Carry
October 18, 2003, 08:58 PM
Mastro ... yep .. cyl change is a snap ... pretty easy.
As for weight ........ well this is in scale a smaller gun ... it is not overall quite as large (or heavy) as you might think.

For me ... the 6 1/2 tube is just fine .. weight penalty not noticeable really and the bonus on accuracy is well worth that anyways. It points well - and shoots well.

If I were to find a downside I guess it is the one all or most S/A's suffer .. loading gate and a rather tedious load and unload process ... that aside ... it is great!

Mastrogiacomo
October 18, 2003, 09:09 PM
I can deal...:D someone at the gun range had a GP 100 which he let me try. Incrediable gun! I have a S&W 686 in a 4" and just couldn't get over the trigger pull and how the GP handled -- it also felt lighter than the S&W although I'm told it's the same weight. It made quite an impression so I'm anxious to add a few to my collection: GPs, SPs, a Bisley Vaquero in simulated Ivory and the single six would be great too. Thanks for all the feedback; it's been a big help. :)

Standing Wolf
October 18, 2003, 09:39 PM
My pre-agreement Smith & Wesson definitely wasn't a class act when I bought it new about five years ago. The trigger was creepy and much stiffer than it should have been, considering it was a $750 target pistol. One of the magazines didn't work. The gun didn't feed or eject standard velocity ammunition until I replaced the recoil spring with one from Wolff. The rear sight fell off. I put it back on; unfortunately, powering down the Allen screw to secure it warped the extension over the slide, so both it and the slide ended up being scratched. The rear sight fell off again, so I glued it in place. A gunsmith worked on the trigger, so it's better now, but it's still not as good as a High Standard trigger. The factory stocks were mediocre, although there's nothing unusual in that.

Now that I've poured considerable time, money, and effort into it, it's not a bad pistol, but it certainly wasn't worth the price tag.

DMK
October 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
I'm very impressed by the Ruger MKII and 22/45 that my shooting companions own. I'm not so impressed with the reliability of the Browning Buckmark, although it is accurate.

My favorite is my CZ Kadet. It keeps right up with the Rugers and Buckmarks for reliability and accuracy. I see no need for another semi-auto .22. I also have a Ruger Single Six. It's a very fun plinker, but still not as accurate as the Kadet or Ruger semi-autos.

Gopher
October 18, 2003, 09:45 PM
For help with the Ruger.

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip_quick.htm

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/internals.htm

http://www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html

Shane
October 18, 2003, 10:35 PM
Lots of good rimfire choices, along with your list, you should consider:

Ruger Mk II or 22/45
Single-Six
Bisley
S&W 617

My favorite plinking handgun? The Ruger Bisley. I have the Special Edition version that is stainless steel and short 4 5/8th inch barrel. Despite fixed sights, I get good accuracy and the Bisley grip fills my hand a lot better than the Single-Six grip does. The blued Bisley version with 7.5" barrell would probably be more in your price range.

Having said that, single-actions are NOT for everyone. They are slower to load and require patience. If it is your cup of tea though, give one a try along with double actions like the S&W 617, and semi-auto 22s and see which you prefer, and of couse what fits your budget.

BryanP
October 18, 2003, 10:55 PM
I was just talking with someone earlier about how nice the Mark IIs are but they seem to be a pain trying to take them apart. I also had trouble trying to release the mag -- kept looking for the release button where they was none..

The Ruger 22/45 will solve the mag release problem - it puts the mag release in the conventional US position rather than the European heel-release. And yes, the first time you have to take it apart and put it back together can be a PITA. There are illustrated guides on the internet that will show you how to do it. At one point I downloaded a 5MB MPEG video file that shows someone field stripping and reassembling a Ruger Mk II. I can't find it online anymore but I'll be glad to send it to anyone who wants it.

Stevie-Ray
October 18, 2003, 11:00 PM
Another vote for the Ruger Mark II. The field stripping has a bad rep, but like any gun, with practice, it becomes easier. Mine's a snap now. I would recommend one to anybody.

rick_reno
October 18, 2003, 11:49 PM
I think you want a .22 for the range - for target practice.

The older Hamden High Standards are excellent guns, just make sure to check the slide for hair line cracks (usually from firing high velocity ammo) before buying.
A good target gun that should cost you under $400 is the Baikal IZH35M, it's a Russian import and will shoot as good as many of the more expensive guns. Youc an read all about it here http://izh.petebrunelli.com/

Lot of folks have mentioned the S&W 41 - maybe an older one would be good. Newer ones I've seen at our matches have had problems functioning.

If want to spend more money, the Pardini SP is excellent, Don Nygord imports and sells them - he's a great fellow to deal with - http://www.nygord-precision.com/nav.html or one of the new SP-20 Hammerli's from Larry Carter http://www.larrysguns.com/hammguns.asp

Rugers are ok, but for about the same amount of money the Baikal is a much better choice for a target 22.

Sheldon
October 19, 2003, 02:24 AM
The thing about any single action pistol is how slow they are to load and unload. I picked up a Ruger Single-Six for my son, just because he gets a kick out of the cowboy stuff. At least with a double action S&W 617 you can dump all the shells out at one time instaed of one by one. Double action would be better in my opinion.....unless you too love the cowboy stuff.

243_shooter
October 19, 2003, 05:57 AM
BTW -- for those recommending the Mark II -- how long does it take to learn how to take apart the gun and put it together -- and could you learn that on your own without help?

I've never had a tough time with mine, just sat down and read the instructions all the way through and did it. If you try to rush it, it can be a frustrating experience, but with a little patience it's not a big deal.

I have to admit that I've been completely taken off my feet by my single-six though, so much so that I'm considering letting the MKII go so I can pick up another one :D. The little single action is about the most fun rimfire pistol I've ever had..

Biggest trouble right now is saving up the $$ for a .17HMR single six to go with my .17HMR rifle ;)

Leo

So many guns, so little $$

ruger fan 101
October 19, 2003, 06:33 AM
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45. I don't think that I will ever find a pistol that shoots as good as the one I have. You can feed it just about anything and the groups dosen't change a whole lot.

farscott
October 19, 2003, 08:11 AM
The only issue with the Ruger Single-Six is that the bore is sized for the larger .22 WMR bullet. As a result, .22 LR bullets do not fit the bore very tightly, leading to a possible loss of intrinsic accuracy. If you do not plan on shooting the .22 WMR as well, I would not recommend the Single-Six for a .22 target handgun.

Black Snowman
October 19, 2003, 10:15 AM
I'll put in a vote for the Buckmark. I like my 5.5 target quite a bit. Plenty accurate.

Mastrogiacomo
October 19, 2003, 10:33 AM
Personally, I do love the look of the Mark II. It appealed to me because it looks so close to the German Luger, which I would dearly love to own but probably never will....that said, I won't rule them out because on some level, they're very appealing. Some people think Berettas are hard to put together but they're not. So maybe it's a matter of taking my time -- but given in this state we can have a new Mark II, I suppose I'd have to look for a good used. I do like the S&W 617 so I plan to keep my eyes open for that -- but I also love the cowboy stuff too. :D Can someone please explain what is it about them that takes a long time to reload. What's this removing one at a time thing? You can't just empty it out? Thanks.

TrapperReady
October 19, 2003, 10:49 AM
I like the Ruger Mark II. Yes, it's a total PITA to strip and clean. BUT, it's a .22, so that doesn't have to be done very often (I do mine maybe once a year now), and it does get easier once you've gone through the process a couple times (50% from experience and 50% from a couple parts getting just a smidge looser).

If I was looking for a vintage piece, I'd probably pick up a Colt Woodsman.

farscott
October 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Can someone please explain what is it about them that takes a long time to reload. What's this removing one at a time thing? You can't just empty it out? Thanks. The single-actions load and unload one round at a time through the loading gate. On a Colt Model P or clone, you place the hammer at half-cock, open the loading gate, and load a round. You then move to the next charge hole by rotating the cylinder. This charge hole you skip; do NOT load it. You load the next four rounds one at a time and close the loading gate. You cock the hammer and then decock the revolver. If done in this manner, the empty chamber is under the hammer. This is important because the originals have no firing pin safety and the hammer would rest on the primer of a loaded round.

To eject rounds, you place the hammer at half-cock, open the loading gate, and use the ejector rod to push out one round. You then turn the cylinder to eject the next round. As you can see, this is slower than a hand ejector.

Ruger has a system in their New Models that eliminates the half-cock. Simply opening the loading gate is all you need to do. The Ruger system also uses a transfer bar to make the revolver safe with a round under the hammer.

Sheldon
October 19, 2003, 12:03 PM
Like I said.....SLOWWWwwwww . My son loves it though so there is a lot to say for a fun gun.

SnWnMe
October 19, 2003, 12:06 PM
I'm leaning to the S&W 41 or used 617.

Well, it's good that you are back on the straight and narrow again Mast. My 41 is a 90s production. It likes standard velocity ammo too much! If I use Hi velocity stuff I only put 10 rds in the clip (I have 12 rd unlike most) and it runs flawlessly even with cheap stuff.

It is very, very accurate if you do your part.

I suppose we need not expound on how good Smith wheelguns shoot.

Here, let me push you more towards the Smith side

http://www.southbaybikes.com/22s500.jpg

Bainx
October 19, 2003, 03:56 PM
MK II. Just the other day, my oldest daughter took control of our MK II and was standing there hitting plastic bottles at 25 yards!

Go for the model 512...bull barrel in stainless with adjustable sights.

I'm also a big fan of the S&W five-screw K22. Slick.

Majic
October 19, 2003, 06:26 PM
Another vote for the High Standards. A used Citation or Tourneyment is hard to beat. One of the best triggers, excellent sights, interchangeable barrels in different configurations and one mighty fine shooter

107 Supermatic Citation:

Greek
October 19, 2003, 10:57 PM
I have had my 6" S&W 617 (stainless, 6 shot) for about ten years now. Taught my wife, daughter and son how to shoot with it. Still enjoy taking it to the range. High quality revolver with an excllent trigger.

Litlman
October 20, 2003, 12:38 AM
Try a nice used S&W k22.......

James Bondrock
October 20, 2003, 01:14 AM
I was just talking with someone earlier about how nice the Mark IIs are but they seem to be a pain trying to take them apart. I also had trouble trying to release the mag -- kept looking for the release button where they was none... There are two basic types of Ruger .22 pistols. One, the Mark II, is an updated version of the original pistol introduced in 1949. It has a steeply raked grip angle which is the same as that of the Luger, and a heel-base magazine release. This could be easily acclimated to with practice. The other, the 22/45, has a plastic frame with a grip angle and control location the same as that of the 1911. I would prefer this one for my own use, and a 5.5-inch bull (heavy round profile) barreled one with adjustable sights is on my "to do" list. The
Ruger pistols are a bit of a nuisance to field strip and reassemble.

P95Carry
October 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
james ...... I accept the strip-down hassles with my 22/45 .. simply because it is such a great shooter .. and the positions of mag release and safety are just right. I think you could enjoy one in your collection.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your sig ....... "James Bondrock, you're wonderful!"

"I know."

http://www.bedford.net/design/images/smilies/lol.gif

renaissance
October 20, 2003, 12:50 PM
ruger 22/45

V-fib
October 20, 2003, 12:52 PM
I have a S&W 422 with 6”bbl. had a scope (30mm red dot) mounted to it a few years ago. So accurate it’s almost boring to shoot ( not really). Its very easy to take down to clean and has been very reliable.

I also have a Taurus 94 snub. Very reliable. Adjustable sights, 9 shots. Surprisingly accurate for close range targets.
:cool:

Airboss
October 20, 2003, 02:47 PM
My $ 0.02 Worth
If you don't have to have the newest slickest lastest thing on the block
4 to look at
1.High Standard HD Military Great auto .22 trouble free and will drive tacks grips the same as the 1911 look for one in the $200/250 area and it will give years of trouble free service.
2 K-22 Model 17 K frame more accurate thatn you are great workmanship.
3 K-18 Combat Masterpiece ditto above just a little different look and in 4" rather than 6"
4 22/32 Kit Gun Model 34 (blue)Model 63(stainless)
Great for plinking carring with you fishing hunting just very nice all around fun gun.
Although I own all of the above if I had to get down to one of them it would be a Kit gun IMHO the best all around .22 on can have YMMV

Khornet
October 20, 2003, 04:42 PM
you're looking at entry-level rimfire target pistol shooting. You have budget limitations. If you ask me, there is only one answer: Ruger Mk II.

Good revolvers are lovely, but there's a reason why you almost never see them on the line at matches anymore: you have to learn to thumb that hammer back for each shot, and your grip will shift. No problem if you're plinking, but if you want to learn to shoot bullseye it will increase the difficulty.

Model 41 is much more costly, and not one bit more accurate than MkII, and there are lemons out there. I love mine, it's a sweet and pretty pistol, but I shoot my MkII just as well.

Hi Standards are classics, accurate and good-looking, but again pricier. I've shot more than a few, including the HD Military.

Can't comment on the IZH except to say that it is more costly too.

MkII is comfortable, accurate, reilable, easy to maintain no matter what some tell you (and doesn't even NEED disassembly but once in a blue moon), and it's affordable. I had a trigger job done, didn't cost much, and tha's all, except for adding a set of Pachmayr wrap-around grips. That was 21 years ago, and never a hiccup.

I think that for geting started, you just can't do better than a pistol which is accurate, easy to shoot, no worries about geting a lemon or a finicky feeder, and you can afford to buy it new. And if you're like many others, as the years go by if you stay in the .22 target game you'll accumulate cooler, fancier pistols but still come back to the MkII again and again. And when you do, you'll be surprised how well you can shoot it.

So that's what I'd do. Take it from ol' Khornet, who wants you to have fun and be happy.

Owen
October 20, 2003, 05:04 PM
sch40,

Why would you want a centerfire for putting holes in paper?

22lr is cheaper, has less recoil, and is generally more accurate. An entry level gun is cheap and reliable. They don't induce even the most gun shy person to flinch.

owen

Mannlicher
October 20, 2003, 08:23 PM
K-22, or a .22/32 Kit gun, model 34. No one has ever made a better .22 handgun than these.

maytom
October 22, 2003, 05:50 AM
Another vote for the Ruger super single six!
Yes, compared to a double action, a singe action is slower to load/unload, but for target use, is speed "REALLY" that important? Also, how many shooters actually use the double action feature when shooting? Most use the single action mode and carefully aim before taking the shot? That's why I never liked the semi-auto's, way to easy to just rip out 10 shots as fast as you can pull the darn trigger!! And unless your resting that gun over sandbags, your groups will be all over the place.
About the S&W K22(model 17 to some) that was the very first .22 I got, brand new in the box. That gun was must of been a lemon, because the timing was way off and the hammer was hitting inbetween the chambers on the cylinder!! Soon the hammer actually cracked off due to the metal to metal contact!! Also, when I tried to shoot it in the double action mode the action would jam up, it would feel like someone put a pencil behind the trigger and I couldn't pull in back any farther!! This turned out to be a design flaw with all smiths, and some lawsuits came of it. I figured that if a .22 could act like this , what about their model 29??????
It's been single action revolvers ever since for me, much more dependable, even though they are slower????:confused:

SnWnMe
October 22, 2003, 09:45 AM
Wow this is an interesting bit of info. When did Smith get sued for malfunctioning revolvers? If it was a design flaw if must've been a heckuva redesign to get it corrected. Can you point me to a reference so I ca look it up? I have quite a few Smith revos and would like to know if any of them are affected by this flaw that you mentioned. If so, I would send them all back to Smith for correction.

Thanks

Trumpet
October 22, 2003, 11:53 AM
I have a Ruger MkII slabside and love it. Yes, the take dwon isn't exactly "easy" but it's really not hard either. Doing it the first time was interesting, but by the second time I had it down. I actually (as it says in the manual) had to tap the rear of the upper receiver with a plastic mallet to loosen it. Course, that didn't bother me any, I prefer that to having it be loose! As pointed out earlier, since it's a .22 you shouldn't have to take it down much anyway. I've had mine a year and a half and only took it down twice thus far.
Another thing to consider (particularly if you're a 1911 fan) is the Marvel conversion units. They are top notch in every way, and they shoot incredibly well!!

Rich

foghornl
October 22, 2003, 12:09 PM
I see that Ruger has the 50th Anniversary Single-Six. 4-5/8" barrel, .22LR & .22Mag cylinders. Mrs. Foggy said no more guns this year, but I'm gonna cry like a baby to get her to let me buy this one....:D

First revolver I had was a Ruger Blackhawk in 357, so I've always been kinda partial to Rugers SA revos.

If you want to approximate the "feel" of the 1911's, take a look at the Ruger .22/45 series.

maytom
October 22, 2003, 12:27 PM
SnWnMn, on that S&W .22 in question, I took it back where I bought it to get fixed and as soon as I got it back I sold it!! This was a gun that I bought new back in 1978. The story on the lawsuit was that a state trooper stopped a car and it turned out to be a fugitive, as he was getting out of his patrol car the other man got out and drew on him. When the trooper drew his service revolver it jammed like I mentioned and he was shot and killed. His widow was the one who pushed the lawsuit, and hired a special attorney and a firearm expert to find out what happend. This was the story that I had actually read way back then in a gun magazine. They did extensive tests on his gun and found that under recoil, the cylinder would shift and bind, preventing the cylinder from turning, hence a design flaw. I believe that since then, Smith & Wesson made design changes to prevent that condition from happening. So if your guns are from that time period, I'd have them checked out. True story.

Sheldon
October 22, 2003, 01:05 PM
I remember some time back they were making a big deal about design changes to the S&W 629. I think part of it was that under heavy useage with heavy loads the gun would go out of time and they lengthened the cylinder notches as part of the solution to prevent that. There are an aweful lot of people out there that shoot the double actions the way they were meant to be shot.....double action. In just about any type of competition shooting where a double action revolver is used it will be shot double action if speed has anything to do with it. You do see a lot of people shoot them single action.....but that's usually because they don't want to spend the time to learn to shoot them double action. It is no small thing to master that.

I would have to say your Model 17 had an issue with it and not condemn all the S&W revolvers out there. Also S&W has been very good to me in regards to any issue with the products of theirs that I own and even in your case they fixed the gun and that does say something. I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers and would love to add a few more to my collection, especially that 10 shot 617.

SnWnMe
October 22, 2003, 02:05 PM
The one that Sheldon said, I knew about that. That was at the end of the 80s/ beginning of the 90s. I think this resulted in the 629-4. But I thought it was the silhouetters who were pounding their 44mags with their heavy loads.

So an unfortunate trooper died huh? That was tragic Maytom but you have to keep in mind that hundreds of thousands of peace officers all over the planet carried a Smith revolver of some sort back in the 70s. If there was indeed a design flaw it would've been much, much more of a mess for the LE communities of the world and Smith. I think the tragedy of the trooper was the result of a poor QC check on his specific sidearm. Hopefully it didn't happen to anybody else.

FWIW, I have a few Smiths that pre date this incident. None of them bind.

Anyway back to the thread. Yeah, an SA revolver is a pain to load and unload. Plus none of the models in current production not known to be tack drivers either. Probably because there is no market for very accurate SAs not because of a shortcoming of design.

maytom
October 22, 2003, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm not knocking the new Smith's, just the ones from that time frame. I realize that in gun comps they shoot double action, but I'm not talking about that. I'm refering to the everyday joe target shooter, who shoot's a box or two, mostly shoot's in the single action mode. Granted a double action revolver has a faster lock time, hence they can be a tad more accurate than a single action, but I've shot some groups and seen groups shot with single actions that go "toe to toe" with the double actions. I guess it's that I just prefer the single action, personal choice I guess. To each his own.:rolleyes:

pinetree64
October 22, 2003, 07:58 PM
I've owned several 22 pistols. My favorite is the Ruger MkII Govt. Revolvers just aren't as fun as a semi and let's face it, a 22lr plinker is for fun. It is unbelievably accurate and cheap to shoot.

tjg

Vman
October 22, 2003, 09:28 PM
I love Smith & Wesson revolvers, I have a tuned 6" M617 10 round revolver that is a fine a firearm as I have ever owned.

Although I bought mine new I have seen used guns at what I consider bargin prices.

makarov
October 23, 2003, 01:37 AM
Can anyone comment on the triggers of the 10-shot 617's vs. the 6 shot 617's. They continue to make both I believe. Some indicate that the trigger on the 10 shot has a shorter stroke DA, or feels different than the 6 shooters. Was wondering if that was true and if it bugs you.

Brian Dale
October 23, 2003, 01:38 AM
Welcome to The High Road, Vman! :)

tex_n_cal
October 23, 2003, 02:37 AM
Lots of good comments above.

here's some other options on .22's:

IF you can find one, the Belgium Brownings are pretty cool, too...actually the newer ones made by ATI I think work fine also. Mine has many, many rounds through it, and it is still wonderful.

I vote Ruger Mark II's to be a pain to clean - I have owned and sold two and want no more.

The High Standards are classics, and priced accordingly.

S&W's lower cost autos are worth a look.

The 617's are indeed very nice - so are the M17 & M18.

Beretta now has a match grade .22, but I forget the model number.

Colt Woodsman Match targets had a fine reputation - pricey now, but good investments.

Kimber now has a .22 cal 1911 - aluminum slide.

The best .22 of all may be Marvel's conversion on your favorite 1911 - unlike the cheaper Ciener conversions, the Marvel locks to the frame, and is known for 1 inch 50 yard groups. They aren't cheap but they are well regarded.

choices, choices, choices....:D

Sheldon
October 23, 2003, 10:12 AM
That would be the Beretta Model 87 Target. Yeah, that's a nice looking pistol in around the $550 range I believe.
http://www.levelrating.com/viewpic.aspx?Fname=beretta 87_52ajr5slaujtdjqm&ex=jpg&path=1

I shoot double action revolver pretty good and I had to really make an effort to do so. Being a reloader had a lot to do with making that easier than maybe someone who don't, because ammo costs can be a major factor. I can see how one with a limited supply of factory ammo would be inclined to try to get more accurate shots shooting single action than to strive out and practice with the revolver double action. Let me tell ya.....once you get the hang of it, it is a lot more fun. I NEED to get one of them 10- shot S&W 617!! Then ammo would not be an issue at all. It would be a great practice tool for one trying to get good shooting double action, in my opinion.

duckfoot
October 23, 2003, 10:44 AM
Colt Diamondback or a Colt trooper Mk III

Mastrogiacomo
October 23, 2003, 04:25 PM
It is a nice gun and one that would be my first choice if we had it in this state. It's not allowed -- along with the Cougar, Elite, Mini-Cougar, Neo, Bobcat, Tomcat, etc.....:fire:

Owen
October 23, 2003, 08:05 PM
Mastro,

If you are willing to look, I know that there are some of those Berrettas in Mass. I was fairly close to buying one at least a year before the AG came along.

owen

Mastrogiacomo
October 23, 2003, 08:08 PM
I'll keep an eye open for the Beretta 87. Don't have the funds yet so I have plenty of time to wait....;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best rimfire handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!